UO On Steam a Reality?

Okay Uo Devs, the UO community has some questions for you . . .

#1 IS UO going to Steam?
#2 Is it true you guys are making a new shard (Very Active) for this with no xfers  . .are you guys finally giving us a shard with an economy?

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 790
    No some members of the UO community have some questions.

I personally couldn't care less if UO ends up on Steam and I really bugs me when some one decides they speak for the entire "community".
  • TailTail Posts: 70
    edited March 2020
    Tim said:
    No some members of the UO community have some questions.

I personally couldn't care less if UO ends up on Steam and I really bugs me when some one decides they speak for the entire "community".
    I mean no offense when I say; I don't really care what bugs you or what doesn't. These are questions that many in the UO Community have. No where above does it say I speak for everyone in the whole community . .you inferred that. Make sure to read the entire post before making your assumptions.
  • fonsvitaefonsvitae Posts: 51
    Tail said:

#1 IS UO going to Steam?
    #2 Is it true you guys are making a new shard (Very Active) for this with no xfers  . .are you guys finally giving us a shard with an economy?

We already have #2; it's called Siege Perilous.

• SoldahouseSoldahouse Posts: 129
    If they answer those questions,could they also answer the question are you guys getting rid of the classic client? 
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Please be mindful of rule #1 of the Terms of Service when posting. Thank you.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    The day they close cc its the end of uo.... so it will never close and btw most people i know play cc i tried ec this is damn ugly cannot beleive how people manage to play it
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Fortis said:
    The day they close cc its the end of uo.... so it will never close and btw most people i know play cc i tried ec this is damn ugly cannot beleive how people manage to play it

I am the opposite. The CC is damn ugly one. Whenever I use it for more than a few minutes my eyes feel like someone pulled them out and started squeezing them.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited March 2020
    LOL The rumor mill is running at 200% here, please tell us where you got your info, do you have a real crystal ball.  By the way no the UO community does not only you do or did you become the spokes person for the community.  @Tim was right and maybe it is you that has no clue on the proper way to state a question.
    Tail said:
    Fortis said:
    AMEN or go to steam
  • CazadorCazador Posts: 83
    fonsvitae said:
    Tail said:

#1 IS UO going to Steam?

Except Siege isn’t very active or very fun..

• fonsvitaefonsvitae Posts: 51
    Cazador said:
    fonsvitae said:
    Tail said:

#1 IS UO going to Steam?

Except Siege isn’t very active or very fun..

To each his own and all... but Siege is awesome.

• Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    First off ...
    1. No  EA put its foot down on Steam. As I read the EA post  they are working on a system like Steam on their side.. who knows if that's the big news.

2. Last I heard at a meet and greet was no new shard. We have a lot of underpopulated as it is.

3. (asked by Soldahouse) As I have explained many times the only way to make a viable Classic Client was lost in the move from Redwoods shore to VA. The shipment of materials from their offices were sorted by a staffer and the original workbook was shredded, code disk and all. This made Bleak very sad as he feels it was lost on his watch... He had no idea the staffer would sort the office shipment to compact the boxes.

Before you say well take it form the shard set up we have now... Cant. You can not back track off all the publishes from the matrix without destroying the base program.. too much of the original coding was changed to allow this to work.
    Siege is the closest you will get to the old classic game..

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Is it possible to please get some OFFICIAL informations about this "UO on Steam" rumor that has been spreading on General Chat on several Shards ?

It is very confusing and annoying to get all sorts of rumors from players on General Chats and it would be VERY HELPFULL, if someone at Broadswords would give some Official informations on these rumors where they are all fake news or anything with them is true and in what capacity.

Thanks.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Do you not know how to treat a "rumor" ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • CazadorCazador Posts: 83
    Lol I heard a rumor!! Answer me now or I cancel all my EJ accounts and stop not paying!!!
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2020
    First off ...
    1. No  EA put its foot down on Steam. As I read the EA post  they are working on a system like Steam on their side.. who knows if that's the big news.
    This is incorrect. EA has changed it's stance regarding Steam (as has been pointed out to you before). To keep the misinformation to a minimum, here are some sources, including EA themselves.  

"Electronic Arts has unveiled plans to return to Steam in late 2019, reversing its former split with Valve's digital PC storefront almost one decade prior...

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-ea-pc-games-coming-steam

"Additionally, EA announced plans to bring its EA Access subscription service to Steam starting next year,..."
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/20937055/ea-games-steam-access-subscription-service-pc-storefront-jedi-fallen-order-sales

Or, from EA's own statement:

"Electronic Arts and Valve have partnered to put EA games into the hands of the players on Steam. Starting next spring, EA Access—our ever-growing subscription service powered by great games and member benefits—will be making its way to Steam. EA Access is the first and only gaming subscription service available on Steam, and the fourth platform featuring an EA subscription.

The partnership kicks off with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ launching on November 15—and available for pre-order today. In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together."
    https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valve-partnership

And finally, here is a pic of EA's page on Steam, showing Jedi Fallen Order, released Nov. 15 2019.

EA is already back on Steam.

-Arroth
  • monkgamermonkgamer Posts: 100
    Its highly likely to be on steam, and probably huge sweeping changes to seduce the new type of gamer while shrugging off the old. Its whats in style for companies now

• MakasouleaterMakasouleater Posts: 29
    edited March 2020
    TimSt said:
    Fortis said:

I am the opposite. The CC is damn ugly one. Whenever I use it for more than a few minutes my eyes feel like someone pulled them out and started squeezing them.
    I wish they would get rid of the CC, not because I think either one looks better, or is easier. I heard that the only way to script and cheat like that is use the CC, not 100 percent if that is true, but it does make sense. If it is true, just my opinion they should remove it based on that, then make a option in EC to turn the character models back to CC kinda like everquest does where you can pick the new models or old ones.

I definitely can see alot of people mad though at getting rid of it. It took me years to get my friend to switch to the ec. It works good now though, and runs on low end computers, even cell phone computers that use the snap dragon 850 which isn't even a high end phone cpu any more. 

As for steam I dono if it will do anything, either way if all they did was just release it there. It didnt help ryzom at all, or everquest. I cant say I ever met some one that said I only use steam to find pc games. I have heard people say they refuse to use steam before, but never that some one only uses steam. So it isn't like it is releasing on a new platform or anything, like on xbox or playstation which some people only have those, or google play. 

I think mobile ulitma online would get alot more people, considering there isn't to much competition. You got black desert,runscape, and  albion really. Albion is the closest out of those to Uo, but it is still not UO. None of those have what ulitma online has, especially when it comes to taming. The cash shop is already like alot of other mobile games anyways. 

I have no idea how hard it would be to convert it to work on a cell phone, other than it works emulated in windows 10 on a snap dragon 850, and that runescape did it so it works on pc and mobile together on both old school and new runescape. No idea how much that cost runescape to do that, I am sure it wasn't cheap, but if it is UO goal to reach new people mobile is definitely the way to do it. There are way way way more people that have cell phones then have steam.  The only thing would be the user interface, which would have to be switched to click to move, or like a joystick and move with the keys. The EC though is modern enough I think to be used on a mobile phone, just would have to make the hot bars the right size.

@Makasouleater you do understand that you can just write a script for the EC.
  • Bilbo said:
    @ Makasouleater you do understand that you can just write a script for the EC.
    Nope I dont use scripts or even know what they are, I was going by what some one told me on the general chat that people cant cheat on the ec and use the cc. 
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    EC scripts are hardwired for no more than 10 repetitions.  Depending on the script, that could allow you to be AFK for up to 10 minutes.  The script will end.  Heck, unless you move you'll be disconnected not much longer after that.

I'm not saying it is impossible to cheat with the EC, but I don't see how someone could.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Rock said:
    EC scripts are hardwired for no more than 10 repetitions.  Depending on the script, that could allow you to be AFK for up to 10 minutes.  The script will end.  Heck, unless you move you'll be disconnected not much longer after that.

I'm not saying it is impossible to cheat with the EC, but I don't see how someone could.
    umm you can run clicks and button presses with your programable keypad. Press a key, delay xx seconds, press again.
     And the EC can be modified to get more repetitions.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. Every games company, sports governing body, insurance company etc can testify to that. So can a large number of disillusioned husbands and wives. 
    You can combat it and you can put measures in place to minimise it, but you can't 100% stop it.

Anyone expecting the devs to achieve that is asking the impossible.  Help them minimise it by telling them, in emails if posting here isn't appropriate, any plans you have heard of to get around these current measures. Help them instead of berating them for failing to achieve what no one else can.
    I believe the correct email address is uo@broadsword.com
  • Pawain said:
    Rock said:

umm you can run clicks and button presses with your programable keypad. Press a key, delay xx seconds, press again.
     And the EC can be modified to get more repetitions.  
    Key strokes dont keep you from going afk, I was watching a show training my pet button smashing f2 for bandage and I always have to do something like move around or it kicks me. Anyways I still think that it is harder to cheat on the ec and that a steam only, with only ec client, with value anti cheat server would stop a lot of cheating. Adding in the game is buy 2 play. If you get a steam vac ban it bans you from playing on that account. So not only do you lose all your ulitma online things, but any other vac game. 
    You must forgive my error there. I spent 5 weeks in hospital spread over 3 months and was not able to play at all between the stays so I lost out on a lot of EA news.  All I remember was a Statement from EA exe that said the company was going to start its own "stream".  I thought they were biting off more then they could chew... but hey its EA.
    Petra is so right..
    Cheating is a drug to some gamers/people. It gives them a high when they break the walls and get in or do something that they know is wrong but the thrill is so great they have to do it.   

An acquaintance of my son's now has no online device, no computer, phone with any way to get on line. 
    Even his TV has to be non online, no router or service cable etc.. it sound like a made up story but I have met the guy, (We had to shut off and cover the computer screens when he comes over) and he explains that he was so addicted to hacking this was his only way to stay clean.    He said there is a help group he attends and he is far from being alone.  

This does not give the players who do so the right to hurt the game.  Yes it hurts but is far from something seen till its too late. This hurts all who come to play UO.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    You must forgive my error there. I spent 5 weeks in hospital spread over 3 months and was not able to play at all between the stays so I lost out on a lot of EA news.  All I remember was a Statement from EA exe that said the company was going to start its own "stream".  I thought they were biting off more then they could chew... but hey its EA.
    Hey no problem Lady Storm, sorry to hear about the hospital stuff. Hope you're feeling better.

I'd also like to add that we all know things change rapidly, even (especially?) corporate planning. So although EA put one game on Steam, we'll have to wait and see how much they follow through with those initial plans.   
    -Arroth
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Ehr, using one of this to press keyboard keys is considered cheating? :D ;)

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Its funny that on the Ultima Online "greenlight" Steam page there are a few links to freeshards in the comments...

Albertus Magnus: Does the biggest and boldest endeavor mean the opening from UO on the steam plattform?
    Mesanna: no