A few taming questions

monkgamermonkgamer Posts: 100
edited February 2020 in Skills and Stats
New to taming

Can I still tame a nightmare at 100/100? It says 110 skill level now but that doesn't make sense to me since it says 95.1 elsewhere

Are nightmares even worth it now? I know that a sid cuhe is the new goal post for a mounts and I want one when I get to that level but to me, I always wanted a Nightmare and now that I am doing taming I'd like to get one when I gm 100 taming.

Also, what does pet control chance mean? Does it mean an animal will rarely listen to you? I've heard even 120/120 tame/lore have issues with pets listening and are hard to control? Not sure what all that means.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,969Moderator
    Since the animal training update taming chance varies according to the strength of the creature. 95.1 is still the minimum requirement for a nightmare, but some will require more. If you decide to train the pet to higher slot requirements the taming requirement will also become higher.

Control chance depends on your animal lore skill, lower skill will require more care. Listen to the signals the pet gives and learn to recognise its bark of refusal.
    Advice on how to restore loyalty will vary, using the 'all follow me' command can work. I choose to feed a pet that refuses a command.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    There's no one pet fits all anymore. Different pets do different damage and with all the new build possibilities you can have a full stable and not have everything. 

I like mares. Some don't. It's personal preference. Cu's are big because they come in different colors, have healing and can be trained differently. Don't underestimate a mare though. They can be trained very well but they won't have healing. 

Control chance is just that. If a pet refuses commands it's loyalty goes down and will eventually go wild. Then you're left to retame and wait for rebonding. You're better off to work 120 skill, feed it every so often and not worry about it. 
  • Thanks you two. I did tame a mare finally, it felt good, like I accomplished something I have been wanting for ever lol. 

I also tamed a bake. Well, my skills right now is 113 taming 107 lore, and it wouldnt follow me even at wonderfully happy. I do not know why, I fed it fish steaks, like 6 of em, til it finally followed.

I guess I better wait til 120 like you said Urge, cause that is annoying lol

I'll get with you this weekend and show you some more stuff!!
  • Whats the best way to train lower end pets like nightmares, etc? They die really fast to navery etc, so its taking forever. I feel that lower end pets shouldn't take as long as high end pets, as they are weaker in the end, and cant even stay alive beyond 3 hits from these best  gain monsters.

• WornOutYourToolWornOutYourTool Posts: 299
    edited February 2020
    monkgamer said:
    Whats the best way to train lower end pets like nightmares, etc? They die really fast to navery etc, so its taking forever. I feel that lower end pets shouldn't take as long as high end pets, as they are weaker in the end, and cant even stay alive beyond 3 hits from these best  gain monsters.

Depends, one way is to train up skills on a shadow elemental and go from there.  Either doing that or skipping.  Pair it with a tanky pet.  I pull a 2 slot dire wolf or Wolf Spider I built to be tanky first then the weak pets.  Aggro goes on tanky fellow while the rest gain XP.  If still weak after upgrading I just going out their skills on Blackthorne dungeon.

edited by Mariah
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    Are you concerned about skill training? or training to 100% prior to taking the pet up in slots?
    For the initial stages of the new animal training I have had good gains from Ladies of the Snow, though it's a good idea to invis as one dies so that you are not the prime target for the next one, revealing to vet the pet once it is safe to do so.
  • monkgamermonkgamer Posts: 100
    edited February 2020
    Im talking about the 100% training to start point distribution.  Its so slow. I tried shadow elementals but i got zero gains it kept saying I couldn't gain on it.

if i try anything else lthe pet just dies in 2 or 3 hits. so im left to grinding away on mid tier mobs. i
  • The shadow elemental is basically just used to raise pet skills.  For training experience fastest is to have it attack super high fame enemies or be attacked by a rediculous amount of creatures.  As you mentioned, weak pets die doing this.  Sooooo, either tank the enemy yourself, or have a more hardy pet tank for the weak one, or do it with a buddy.  Things from unbound vortex, crazed mages, most LVL 5 shame stuff is good, ogre cook, and other strong named monsters, peerless etc...  Are good targets for the training.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    from 2 slot to 3 slot, I use ladies of the snow. The pet can survive, if you look after it, and don't get targeted yourself. 
  • Thanks for the advice I will try these things
  • I find having a wicked tanky two or three slot pet to tank for the weaker ones works best for me.  As I mentioned before I trained a Wolf Spider with just high resists hpr and feint, holds up very well, other is the dire wolf with feint and leech life from tokuno.  I'm sure a lesser hiryu could work great.  Or a slime with sticky etc.

Be creative and have fun.

Also other fun trick is be a necromancer, use command undead, grab a skele dragon, rotting corpse, lady of the snow or whatever to do the tanking.  They can take a good punch, recieved automatic life leech and can be vet'd while being 2 slots.
    It all depends on the pet. A 1 slot lesser hiryu won't gain as well in certain areas as a 3 slot Cu. For some reason it seems gains are backwards and easier to obtain the higher the level of pet. I can 5 slot a Cu in a couple hours but it'll take a couple days to put a 1 slot beetle to 5 slots.

Fresh pets don't seem to gain as well as ones with skills worked so i usually try to hit the shadow elemental for a bit. 

I use my discord to manipulate the mechanics and find the sweet spot for gains. My top 3 places to go are Navery, Crazed mage and the mean blue dinosaur thing. You won't be able to do the last one until you've got the timing down. 

Swoops is a decent place to some gains but again, it falls back to having the skills raised enough for it to survive. 

• I just returned to the game after about 15 years away. I was delighted to see that my 20yr old dragon and nightmare were still in my stable. I know nothing about the animal training but now I’m reading that these are “prepatch”. Should I keep them as is with their lower slot requirements 3 and 2 or is it worth training?
    Sell them and don't look back. Should be an easy 100 mil each.
  • Urge said:
    Seriously? Just because they’re rare? My bank account currently sits at 800k so making some money sounds good. 
  • I would sell them, they arnt godlike anymore. while prepatch is better then newer ones, its not by much. Nightmares and dragons as a whole are not the best now, so its bett6er ot have that gold as you will need it for other things lol

Urge said:
    Seriously? Just because they’re rare? My bank account currently sits at 800k so making some money sounds good. 
    PP mares have higher str than currently spawning ones. Not sure about the dragon. That was a rough estimate and what i sold mine for last year. It should be even higher by now. You may have to xfer to Atlantic to sell though. 
    monkgamer said:
    I would sell them, they arnt godlike anymore. while prepatch is better then newer ones, its not by much. Nightmares and dragons as a whole are not the best now, so its bett6er ot have that gold as you will need it for other things lol

You getting along good now? Let me know if you need anything.
  • Urge said:
    monkgamer said:
    I would sell them, they arnt godlike anymore. while prepatch is better then newer ones, its not by much. Nightmares and dragons as a whole are not the best now, so its bett6er ot have that gold as you will need it for other things lol

Its still a struggle training, I tried nightmares with lady of the snow which was pretty hectic lol. I trainied my cu on navery and got 40% in 2 fights so its much easier for cus.

I also will need help actually skilling the pets once i do reach the 100% mark as it was very confusing to me when I was reading about it.

monkgamer said:
    Urge said:
    monkgamer said:

Its still a struggle training, I tried nightmares with lady of the snow which was pretty hectic lol. I trainied my cu on navery and got 40% in 2 fights so its much easier for cus.

I also will need help actually skilling the pets once i do reach the 100% mark as it was very confusing to me when I was reading about it.

I'm on now if you want to meet umbra gate
  • If I transfer to Atlantic do my pets, money and items transfer with?
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    Didnt see this post til just now.  

Some helpful links

Beginning Animal Training

Video: Skilling Animals

If I transfer to Atlantic do my pets, money and items transfer with?
     Any pets stabled on that character will transfer with the tamer.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,678
    everybody has their own preferred spot to train their pets.
    I like doing the rat spawn in the Cavern of the Discard.
    I usually do the first one.

the first wave of the spawn is pretty easy for your pet.
    when the next level spawns, the courtiers are harder to kill.
    So I leave my pet around the mountain and go grab one or two of the courtiers.
    I bring it to where I left my pet and invis quickly.
    you can quickly gain from these and the Renowned gives really good gains.

• One of my biggest issues right now is not having runes for most places. I have most of the tram dungeons and that’s it. I’ll work on it though. 

On the topic of leveling pets, what are the favorite mounts in the game? When I played it was only mares. I have a Hiryu now and it seems to do alright on the titans and wyverns I hit up today 
  • Correction I believe it’s a lesser Hiryu based on hp
  • One of my biggest issues right now is not having runes for most places. I have most of the tram dungeons and that’s it. I’ll work on it though. 

On the topic of leveling pets, what are the favorite mounts in the game? When I played it was only mares. I have a Hiryu now and it seems to do alright on the titans and wyverns I hit up today 
    Cu's for self healing and very open skill tree seem a go to mount lesser hiryus because they get a ton of points to use, fire or blue beetles for the same reason plus rune corruption.  Aside from that you can make decent nightmares, reptalons, unicorns etc.  There are a lot of options if you aren't interested in min/maxing everything.
    One of my biggest issues right now is not having runes for most places. I have most of the tram dungeons and that’s it. I’ll work on it though. 

Corrupted portals and such are an easy way to get around. No need for huge books of runes anymore. 

Lesser is good. The prepatch hiryus and Cu were bumped to a higher slot after the taming update so those are best with a fresh tame now. The correct slots are 1 for lesser hiryu, 3 for regular and 3 for Cu. Mares can vary from 2-3 depending on stats so you want to aim to tame a 2 so you get an extra round of training points.

Blue beetles and fire beetles start at 1 slot and can go to 5 slots making them pretty powerful. 

In the end, it's all personal preference and you can make some really unique pets. 
  • So my Hiryu is 4 slots.... untrained. Good, bad?
    edited February 2020
    Correct slot is 3 for a regular and 1 for a lesser hiryu to start with. Unless you've clicked the blue button to start advanced training. If you haven't and it's a 4 slot release it....BUT first tame a couple pets to start bonding. A 4 slot bonded is better than no pet at all.