Race Bonuses : Can anyone answer a question please ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited February 2020 in General Discussions
Perhaps @Mariah ?

I could not find a UO Wiki page for the Races' Bonuses so, I will go with this http://www.uoguide.com/Races

Among the Bonuses for Elves, it is mentioned

Perception
Increased perception of both hidden creatures and resources.Perception medalliongifElves gain an increased chance to passively detect hidden monsters and enemies.

Now, it first says "increased perception of both hidden creatures and resources" and then says "increased chance to passively detect hidden monsters and enemies"

What I am interested in, particularly, is about understanding well whether the Elves' superior ability to detect hidden "resources" besides creatures, as compared to other Races, works also to more likely Reveal hidden RESOURCES like for example the hidden containers which some Dungeons may have and stuff like that.

Is that a thing ?

If this is the case, what is this bonus actually like as compared to the other Races ?

Also, the UOGuide mentions as an additional bonus for Elves

Knowledge of Nature
and resources.
Knowledge of nature medalliongifElves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special baords when lumberjacking.

I do not see mentioned OTHER Resources which also can get mined like special Gems such as 
  • Blue Diamond,
  • Fire Ruby
  • Perfect Emerald,
  • Dark Sapphire
  • Ecru Citrine,
  • Turquoise
Or Small Pieces of Blackrock, Saltpeter which can also be mined.... or the High Quality Granite, or Sand which also get mined...

or obtained through Lumberjacking like

- Bark Fragments
- Luminescent Fungi
- Parasitic Plant
- Switch
- Brilliant Amber
- Crystal Shards

And what about Fishing ? There is special Resources like Delicate Scales and White Pearls which, besides Fishes, can be fished up also....

ALL of these, do are ALL Resources....

My question is, does the Bonus which Elves have, work for ALL of them or only for some ?

And in case it does not work for ALL Resources which can be Mined, Lumberjacked or Fished up (which I would find odd should this be the case since they are all Resources....), for WHICH particular Resources does the Bonus which the Elves have work for ?

And, by the way, what does this Bonus amounts of ? is it a % better chance as compared to other Races to get those Resources ?

What is it exactly this Bonus ?

Thanks !!

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720

Knowledge of nature medalliongifElves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special baords when lumberjacking.

Read what you write - you answered your own question.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Marge said:

Read what you write - you answered your own question.
    Colored Ore and Special Boards are NOT the only and sole Resources which can be obtained through Mining and Lumberjacking....

As I mentioned, there is OTHER resources that, likewise, can be obtained through Mining and Lumberjacking and since the Knowledge of Nature Bonus is about "Resources", I imagine that is "also" works for anything else that can be mined up and lumberjacked up.

I wrote the OP asking for confirmation about this from those knowledged about it.....
  • I assume the following. A valorite spot is a valorite spot at same time for human or elve.
    But an elve gots more valorite than others from that spot.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    I assume the following. A valorite spot is a valorite spot at same time for human or elve.

Pretty much, with RNG affecting results there are no definitive figures, but on balance if an elf and a human mine the same spot the ratio of colored:iron will be greater for the elf. Likewise for lumberjack.

With items such as white pearls etc, RNG dictates that the same person can fish for an hour one day and get several, can fish in the same spot on another day and get none. How would you tell whether the elf was getting a bonus?

There is a degree of chance in every activity in game.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mariah said:
    I assume the following. A valorite spot is a valorite spot at same time for human or elve.

Pretty much, with RNG affecting results there are no definitive figures, but on balance if an elf and a human mine the same spot the ratio of colored:iron will be greater for the elf. Likewise for lumberjack.

With items such as white pearls etc, RNG dictates that the same person can fish for an hour one day and get several, can fish in the same spot on another day and get none. How would you tell whether the elf was getting a bonus?

That is my uncertainty.....

On one side, I would imagine that the Elves' bonus "should" or "would" affect also all of the other special resources besides Ore and Wood, since, after all, the Bonus is named "Knowledge of Nature"....and, at least to my viewing, ALL those Resources come from Nature, included the "special" Resources which result from mining and lumberjacking....

On the other, as you point out, it is hard to tell from just using a Human or an Elf to get those "special" Resources because of the unpredictability of the RNG....

Yet, I would imagine, Developers know..... perhaps @Kyronix might kindly stop by and let us know whether the Elves' Race Bonus is coded to "also" affect the special Resources from Mining and Lumberjacking ?

My OP question, also, was 2 parts.... @Mariah (or anyone else), do you know whether the "Perception" Elves' Bonus also works with Hidden Containers which sometimes might be found in Dungeons besides being able to detect Hidden players and creatures ?

Thanks.
  • Just visit a meet & greet. That seems to be good question.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    I have no information beyond that you have already found. 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    popps said:
    Mariah said:

That is my uncertainty.....

On one side, I would imagine that the Elves' bonus "should" or "would" affect also all of the other special resources besides Ore and Wood, since, after all, the Bonus is named "Knowledge of Nature"....and, at least to my viewing, ALL those Resources come from Nature, included the "special" Resources which result from mining and lumberjacking....

On the other, as you point out, it is hard to tell from just using a Human or an Elf to get those "special" Resources because of the unpredictability of the RNG....

Yet, I would imagine, Developers know..... perhaps @ Kyronix might kindly stop by and let us know whether the Elves' Race Bonus is coded to "also" affect the special Resources from Mining and Lumberjacking ?

My OP question, also, was 2 parts.... @ Mariah (or anyone else), do you know whether the "Perception" Elves' Bonus also works with Hidden Containers which sometimes might be found in Dungeons besides being able to detect Hidden players and creatures ?

Thanks.
    Why do you always insist on making things harder than they are?  Why can't it be exactly what it says.  You get a better chance at colored ore and logs.  Period.  End of story.  Why can't that answer just be enough for you?  Every bonus doesn't have to apply to everything.  Felucca gets double resources... but if you mine a blue diamond (or ANY of the other 'resources' you mention) in Fel you don't get two.  OMG, we must start an inquest into why double resources doesn't give me two blue diamonds, it is a resource!
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Elves do get a lot more gems and LJ specials. I have no idea with fishing as it's one direction in this game i have never had an interest in.