Why not revamp the classic client?

Make a higher frame rate, the ability to increase screen size, zoom, a polished look of pixel art.  Im not saying make it mandatory, but different options added to the classic client. 

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 790
    On a guess it would be simpler and cheeper to just start from scratch. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The ability to increase screen size already exists

• King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Increased frame rate shouldn't be that tough to do, the artwork is just someone going through all the Uop files running a program to increase resolution/edge smoothing and then touching them up some by hand. Someone made some examples over on stratics of a high res dragon, and gave the breakdown of the time it would take per creature in the game. 
  • crunchnastycrunchnasty Posts: 241
    ^^^^ Yes Please! ^^^^ @Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited March 2019
    https://stratics.com/threads/the-recreation-of-ultima-online-as-a-3d-experience-continues.396260/#post-2909471

Here’s the link to that thread. If I’m not allowed to post links, I’m sorry & please delete it. I don’t know the link policy & not trying to break rules.

Saphireena’s work is awesome but I believe she says it would be a pretty big undertaking. It would take a huge amount of time & effort to polish the art the way ur suggesting. Not impossible but it would mean months of work where nothing else would get done so not practical in application, sadly. 
    if this was done for UO i bet it would be a huge attraction for people to get into UO tho.... like huge huge. although im sure they would have done it already if EA would allow it

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    It would be less trouble to make a new one, start with a better engine, but we just don't have the people for that kind of undertaking. 
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    King_Greg said:
    the artwork is just someone going through all the Uop files running a program to increase resolution/edge smoothing and then touching them up some by hand. 
    They were working on high res art but I think it got dropped.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited March 2019
    3D---FAIL
    KR---Sadly FAIL
    EC---Dumped down version of KR Did not live up to expectations FAIL

ECUI with option of CC/EC/if possible FR Graphics but UOAM/UOC would still be needed
    Not talking about 3-D or any Kingdom reborn art, im talking about the pixel polished version of the original UO artowork
    edited March 2019
    @Mariah but what id like to see is a window size that can be customized to the entire screen if id like.
  • MrNiceMrNice Posts: 29
    There are 2 actively developed Classic Clients out there (open source) on sites that shall not be named. Increased FPS and screen sizing, by dragging a corner and pull to the length you want, screen zooming (in and out) all added. Plenty of YouTube videos out there. The ability is there but don't expect this team to dig that deep into it. While the new content is great unless the client gets an overhaul it is still the ship that will not sink, but is sinking none the less.
    This is what im talking about for the art improvement ^^^^^^^
    MrNice said:
    There are 2 actively developed Classic Clients out there (open source) on sites that shall not be named. Increased FPS and screen sizing, by dragging a corner and pull to the length you want, screen zooming (in and out) all added. Plenty of YouTube videos out there. The ability is there but don't expect this team to dig that deep into it. While the new content is great unless the client gets an overhaul it is still the ship that will not sink, but is sinking none the less.
    Yes exactly.... why would you focus on creating new content, rather than making the client useful for the long term? Slow death is not what we want here. 
  • MrNiceMrNice Posts: 29
    Improved art work is in all them too. It's like night and day with those that shall not be named in the lead at this point. I will rest on that now as the UO cult is blind.
  • I think the CC is just fine. I would think it's the EC that needs attention in the art department.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Mariah said:
    The ability to increase screen size already exists

I've run into a few people that think you can only play UO with that tiny little screen lol
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • I’m 100% with crunchnasty. I’ve recently returned to UO and for me it’s classic client all the way. It’s still extremely playable, but the resolution could absolutely be scaled up, and to be honest, it’s something that I’d be happy to pay for. 

Plus, it might help bring old players back into the fold as well as some new ones and fully populate the shards again. Love the upscaled fan art that’s been shared here. Ever since Third Dawn, I wondered why they bothered. Original Ultima always looked and felt better.
  • Yui_Zii_AriyaYui_Zii_Ariya Posts: 65
    edited October 2019
    TheBatDad said:
    I’m 100% with crunchnasty. I’ve recently returned to UO and for me it’s classic client all the way. It’s still extremely playable, but the resolution could absolutely be scaled up, and to be honest, it’s something that I’d be happy to pay for.
    As a complete CC fan here's a small tip for those still using it, yes the game play window size can be increased to 1280x720 but on an average 1920x1080 monitor it still only fills about 2/3 of the screen.
    What I've done for years is I created a custom 'Windows resolution' of 1600x900 and apply it every time I play UO, only takes a second to change and the results are amazing, it will completely fill your display and everything looks larger to boot.

Results may vary depending on video card etc but with a little testing and adjusting your quality of UO life could be improved massively.

This is what my game play window looks like on a 32" Screen on a custom windows res of 1600x900.  No postage stamp in the corner of the screen here! :D

I should add your monitor/display plays a part too as most modern displays will adopt a 'stretch to fit' function, without which you may experience black borders and an odd aspect ratio.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Nice but I have the internet open on that other 1/3 of the screen.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    Have a 2nd bit smaller/cheaper monitor for tinterweb browsing.
    ;)
  • After the four years or so of touching up the insane amount of assets I can still only picture the rant threads.  "Miss the old CC graphics""iwantmypixelsback" "can we have three clients instead". Would be glorious
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Pawain said:

I thought everyone had four computers running....... 3 to play on and one to surf the web while playing...........
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    These threads always make me laugh.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • These threads always make me laugh.

Yeah, as if...

I imagine we will see yet another failed new client, before we see the CC worked on much.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    These threads always make me laugh.

Yeah, as if...

I imagine we will see yet another failed new client, before we see the CC worked on much.

My bet is on a core program rewrite before any serious client rewrite 
    In other words hold your breath I've always liked that shade of blue  :)
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    I do what @Yui_Zii_Ariya does - at least when not traveling. When traveling, am stuck on the netbook but CC is still playable (even light pvp).

Gaming Rig has 2 monitors - larger one is for the game with custom display (resolution) profile, smaller monitor for web, forum, twitch, and discord. Most modern vid card will support multiple profiles for various uses.

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    I have a 2k monitor and have to use EC as CC game window is too small. Plus the EC UI is way better.   It is ridiculous there are 2 supported clients.  If they re-draw the legacy art resolution to a higher scale, you can kill CC.   There are 2 reasons people still use CC. 
    1. Legacy art looks better
    2. Scripting. its cheating so no sympathy here.  if you cant conform, bye, you wont be missed. 
    I would imagine the art files are separate from the rest of the client engine.  If broadsword let players download SDK to help with re-drawing the art, it could get done alot faster and with little overhead.   If thats not the case,  hire a temp fresh outta college whos sole job is to re-draw all the legacy art.  With all the money UO store makes, there has to be in room in the budget.  Yes it will take a long time, but doing nothing is putting the game on an expiration date.  Gotta move with the tech.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Umm the EC has built in scripts and repeats.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
This discussion has been closed.