February 2018 Newsletter - Discussion

View here

Not a whole lot here, just a preview of what's to come - but have any of you seen anything about the new chat system? Are they bringing back the friends chat that was available in KR? Maybe the old chat window from 2D?
Why is the artwork we have today, of lower quality then what we had in 2007?

Demorde on ATL/PAC/SP || ICQ: #330663732 || Why not join the DiscordChat, its fun!
Tagged:

Comments

• I know I am highly in the minority but I loved the art in the KR client, I wish they had stuck to those art assets and further refined it along with the systems and UI. It was the right way to go for getting UO in the next step with current gamers, and I was hopeful for the future of the game.
  • @Aspetra I couldn't agree more about KR, honestly I don't see it coming back until we get more people in game and even there not everyone was welcoming it :(

• @Archnight Sadly a lot of the veteran players are very resistant to changes. I remember The Third Dawn client was met with a lot of resistance, and even the Kingdom Reborn client was resisted a lot by the players, saying the graphics ruined the feel of the game. 
    The Enhanced Client is basically the Kingdom Reborn client I think just with all the art assets stripped out. I doubt they even have those art assets any more, or have any interest in trying to re introduce them.
  • Aspetra said:
    The Enhanced Client is basically the Kingdom Reborn client I think just with all the art assets stripped out. I doubt they even have those art assets any more, or have any interest in trying to re introduce them.
    The funny thing is, is that all the UOKR art assets (except for mobiles, which are the same just shrunk down) are still in the files. It literally is a separate folder inside the art files, its really sad.

What gets me is that the EC 2D art is of lower quality than the 2D art that KR had before it was discontinued. I really wish they'd at least put an unofficial toggle in to let you run it.

Demorde on ATL/PAC/SP || ICQ: #330663732 || Why not join the DiscordChat, its fun!
  • AspetraAspetra Posts: 15
    @Magnus That is interesting that the art is still there. So I guess the potential is there for a comeback if there was enough outcry for it.
    My only concern would be, how much art needs to be added to get it caught up with the expansions and things added since the art was done.
    Is the current team even capable of doing such a thing?
    They would also need to address the way items were presented in game, which if i remember was the one of the biggest gripes.
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    KR Item art was mostly awful. 

KR world art (plants, building pieces, etc) looked great.

Mobiles were a bit hit-or-miss, but decent in general.  Though they did make some curious choices when updating a few mobs...
  • MagnusMagnus Posts: 6
    Personally, I would be OK with them turning on the KR graphics for what existed and using the new graphics for what doesn't. It couldn't look any worse than what exists as is right now.

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    At the 20th anniversary party, they said they were adding private chat ( /tell in most MMOs). I can't remember if they said they were bringing back friend list, but I hope so. I just hope that if they do, a player can only be added to a friend list if they agree to an invite.