Isn't there a better way? Castle/Keep voting....

So....30 pages of castles/keeps. 1 minute wait between seeing each one. This equals 5 hours to view each castle/keep on the list. 

I kind of think it would be easier to run around, click on a house sign and vote.
«1

Comments

  • MissEMissE Posts: 782
    edited August 2018
    Yeah my castle is like number 199 and my keep 232 so I hold little hope of anyone making it that far if they are gonna do every one.  I guess I should be glad I am not 290 I suppose, but this is pretty hopeless.  I got fed up after doing the first 30 so yeah there needs to be a better system. Perhaps in a day or so access to the stone may be better but it should of been 'recall' and no waiting between use, and a larger number of stones to use so not everyone was trying to get to the one stone.

    Cheers MissE

    For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    A good portion of the designs are not even complete, just a few walls and some are not even designs, just the blank plots still.
    I thought the Devs were going to QA the designs before putting them up on the stone.


    Oh and why the hell do we only get 1 vote per account for a Castle OR Keep, but not 1 for each???
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I'm finding this contest a bit frustrating to be honest. No way am I going around 300 entries, most people didn't even bother to give their design a name! I can see it now 'and the winner is L33TD00D with his design An Unnamed House'  :s
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    Hehe, just feels like they want to be done with it after all the mess this contest was along its way. Maybe they learn from it to not announce stuff prematurely without giving it any thoughts... maybe..  :D
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    jaytin said:
    I'm finding this contest a bit frustrating to be honest. No way am I going around 300 entries, most people didn't even bother to give their design a name! I can see it now 'and the winner is L33TD00D with his design An Unnamed House'  :s

    What you need is something like The Useful Castle #114 ;)
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Nice ad hehe there is a guy stood near the stone and both he and his pet are ads for his castle number! His number is similar to yours so you might get the occasional accidental vote!  :p
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Why are people going afk right beside the stone? What is wrong with people around here??  :o
  • ShellyShelly Posts: 5
    There is a post on Stratics people are posting at least the outside of each castle/keep so you can tell almost right away if it's something you'll want to explore further...maybe someone can do that here too? But for now head on over there, 1-30 are posted so far..don't want to link per forum rules here but it's titled 

    THE CASTLE CONTEST VOTING-- COMMUNITY HOUSE PREVIEWS (IMAGE HEAVY)


    Makes it a lot easier then having to fight through the people/gates and timer between each visit
  • AQHFAQHF Posts: 47
    Yeah,  my castle design is somewhere in the 200s also. I made it to around 15 yesterday looking at designs. The clickie was crowded and you had to be close to it to use it, so it was hard to see what with all the gates popping up around it. There's got to be a better way.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    After looking at some of the castles/keeps posted on stratics one thing is clear is the Devs need to make the housing tool able to go that large of a plot design.

    Perhaps whoever wins gets their design added to the tool as a premade and still allow players to build how ever they see fit.  
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,379
    I've looked at a few today, while I was looking people were clicking the post to get the list then moving away to cast their gate. It was working pretty well.

    I have an in-game book in which I write the number and the name of the builder then marks out of 10. I'm looking for 'character' (not too bland) and usability. If I think living in it would drive me mad in less than a week it gets a low score. Currently I'm up to no. 70. 
    The plan is to re-visit the ones I gave the highest marks to before making my final choice.

    Mine are 117 and 194.
  • TimTim Posts: 797
    Comely (its not polite to scream) :s

    Click tower get window up, WALK AWAY then make you choice.

    Once the window is up you can walk to the other end of town and it will still work.

    Would be nice if they just left the window up so you could go from house to house without going back to Brit. 
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Yeah it was the back and forth to Brit that got tedious, also the delay got a bit annoying if you realised right away it wasn't your kind of thing. 
  • Lieutenant_DanLieutenant_Dan Posts: 195
    edited August 2018
    The Devs gave us something historical with this contest and the final results will be something that we will have to live with for another 20 years.  
    So Please do not vote in haste.

    By this time tomorrow pictures of all 300 designs should be posted on stratics.  We're close to 200 now.  It should help your process of elimination and relieve a bit of frustration dealing with that dang timer.  Check it out when you get a chance.

    *edit*
     oops i guess i'm not supposed to post the linky there.  But you all know where its at,  It's stickied at the top of Uhall. 
     'Castle Contest Voting--  Community House Previews (IMAGE HEAVY)'

    ICQ 
    695356108

  • TimTim Posts: 797
    The Devs gave us something historical with this contest and the final results will be something that we will have to live with for another 20 years.  
    So Please do not vote in haste.

    By this time tomorrow pictures of all 300 designs should be posted on stratics.  We're close to 200 now.  It should help your process of elimination and relieve a bit of frustration dealing with that dang timer.  Check it out when you get a chance.
    https://stratics.com/threads/the-castle-contest-voting-community-house-previews-image-heavy.402190/
    And remember if it looks great but you can't see yourself "living" in it don't vote for it. 
    I've seen some great looking designs but to live/work out of them no (in some cases HELL no)
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    If someone or something is blocking the location when you use the stone you still have to wait for the delay to time out.  :'(
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    That thread is so great on Stratics.  They are up to house 200 and it makes it so easy to look and see if you even want to go look.  I am just hoping people remember when the BIGGEST complaint about Castles were they way they were set up inside and remember that when voting.  There are some beautiful designs but when it comes to putting your stuff in them or just walking around or why someone would but so many rooms on every floor makes you shake your head and wounder why.
  • VioletViolet Posts: 372
    jaytin said:
    I'm finding this contest a bit frustrating to be honest. No way am I going around 300 entries, most people didn't even bother to give their design a name! I can see it now 'and the winner is L33TD00D with his design An Unnamed House'  :s
    The problem is, they said you could enter before you were done with the house and then continue editing it.  If you did that, it kept the name of the house when you originally entered it, even if you updated it since then.  Happened to me.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,699
    Also the stone shows 2 houses with the wrong name...
    158 is Rosy Roundbottom
    213 is Mrs Bug


  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,699
    If anybody needs to recall to any of the houses quickly
    there is a plot outside of Tram/Trinsic moongate that has the runes
    first sets of books are for Castles, second set is for Keeps
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Previewed 220 houses so far and only had to go look at maybe 20 of them to see how they were set up inside all because of a few dedicated players posting pics on Stratics and have 5 so far that I will pick from.  Function is #1 IMHO.
  • ShellyShelly Posts: 5
    Yeah I am writing down the numbers of the ones I like from the outside...again a big thank you to everyone who has dedicated their time to post pictures over on Stratics. So far I only have 6 on my list that I like...shape from the outside is a big thing for me..I don't want to live in a big square..it has to have some definition on the outside...no little tiny rooms...big open spaces..not too much clutter...there are SO many amazing designs though!!
  • CetricCetric Posts: 152
    edited August 2018
    Things that I look for for choosing one to vote on:

    1. Does it look like a "Classic" House, in that other people would want to live here?
    2. Does it have too much personalization?
    3. Does it have space to customize?
    4. Is it easy to move around in?
    5. Does it meet the name Castle or Keep in some form?

     Going with the classic theme, I think its easy to see many that are done up amazing, but just offer way too much customization and personalizationto work as a home that may be duplicated EVERYWHERE.  Think about that, there will be more than just your custom house, there will be many of these.  Open spaces, with correct building tile could be big to allow for the crafted granite to create your own rooms and style.

    I also think its important, being a classic house, that it looks like, functions like, and feels like a classic castle/keep.  This means overuse of water features, grass covering the room, rooms on the roof, being one big giant cube can hurt their function (though I did choose a few that had these things, done well enough to overcome or they do fall in line with the flow of the house).  Footprint I think is very important for a classic house.  They are all recgonizable immediately, These winners should be too.

    Another point I hit was the number of flaws.  Misplaced windows, stairs leading to door openings that dont line up, and things of that nature that render the aestethic of the house rough or the usage of areas non-functional ruled out many.  I got the feeling some were overwhelmed with the amount of time it took to customize a 31x31 plot, and rushed many pieces that do stick out.



    These are my favorites below, there were twice as many, I cut them down based on some of the criteria above:


    Castles

    32 - Pink Floors bugs me a bit, otherwise nice gothic style
    59 - nice, simple, different, gothic style makes for a nice castle
    136 - looks good, marble style is a bit off putting for a castle, but it is clean
    141 - this feels like a non-cube medieval castle, and done up with room to customize =P
    143 - simple, basic, a castle in a classic sense
    178 - very nice, despite grass roof being a no-no to me.  Cube-ish
    206 - clean, marble.  Not castlish, but more "mansion"
    255 - an up to date take on the classic castle
    285 - really nice castle, just wish there were stairs to the bottom floor
    290 - similiar to 285, same problem


    Keeps

    19 - reminds me of wayne manor or something, but good design
    35 - sandstone keep, and looks great.  My only complaint is the upper rooms access
    101 - the only "heavily detailed, personalized" one i think could make it, really nice
    113 - looks like a keep, some unused space and stuff, but defined look
    132 - like a sandstone mansion
    187 - villa style, reminds me of a vineyard home
    202 - sandstone take on a keep, looks great for something different but classic.
    219 - like a villa on steroids, looks good
    232 - its a keep, and has a defined look

    special shout out to the guy who took a shot at recreating "Minas Tirith" though =)

    if i picked 3 of each right this second:

    castle
    59
    141
    255/285

    keep
    187
    202
    219
  • MissEMissE Posts: 782
    Cetric said:
    Things that I look for for choosing one to vote on:

    1. Does it look like a "Classic" House, in that other people would want to live here?
    2. Does it have too much personalization?
    3. Does it have space to customize?
    4. Is it easy to move around in?
    5. Does it meet the name Castle or Keep in some form?

     Going with the classic theme, I think its easy to see many that are done up amazing, but just offer way too much customization and personalizationto work as a home that may be duplicated EVERYWHERE.  Think about that, there will be more than just your custom house, there will be many of these.  Open spaces, with correct building tile could be big to allow for the crafted granite to create your own rooms and style.

    I also think its important, being a classic house, that it looks like, functions like, and feels like a classic castle/keep.  This means overuse of water features, grass covering the room, rooms on the roof, being one big giant cube can hurt their function (though I did choose a few that had these things, done well enough to overcome or they do fall in line with the flow of the house).  Footprint I think is very important for a classic house.  They are all recgonizable immediately, These winners should be too.

    Another point I hit was the number of flaws.  Misplaced windows, stairs leading to door openings that dont line up, and things of that nature that render the aestethic of the house rough or the usage of areas non-functional ruled out many.  I got the feeling some were overwhelmed with the amount of time it took to customize a 31x31 plot, and rushed many pieces that do stick out.



    These are my favorites below, there were twice as many, I cut them down based on some of the criteria above:


    Castles

    32 - Pink Floors bugs me a bit, otherwise nice gothic style
    59 - nice, simple, different, gothic style makes for a nice castle
    136 - looks good, marble style is a bit off putting for a castle, but it is clean
    141 - this feels like a non-cube medieval castle, and done up with room to customize =P
    143 - simple, basic, a castle in a classic sense
    178 - very nice, despite grass roof being a no-no to me.  Cube-ish
    206 - clean, marble.  Not castlish, but more "mansion"
    255 - an up to date take on the classic castle
    285 - really nice castle, just wish there were stairs to the bottom floor
    290 - similiar to 285, same problem


    Keeps

    19 - reminds me of wayne manor or something, but good design
    35 - sandstone keep, and looks great.  My only complaint is the upper rooms access
    101 - the only "heavily detailed, personalized" one i think could make it, really nice
    113 - looks like a keep, some unused space and stuff, but defined look
    132 - like a sandstone mansion
    187 - villa style, reminds me of a vineyard home
    202 - sandstone take on a keep, looks great for something different but classic.
    219 - like a villa on steroids, looks good
    232 - its a keep, and has a defined look

    special shout out to the guy who took a shot at recreating "Minas Tirith" though =)

    if i picked 3 of each right this second:

    castle
    59
    141
    255/285

    keep
    187
    202
    219
    Odd as my castle fits all your criteria and has a similar outward look to the keep i did (232) on your list. Personally I think the castle (199) is much better than the keep in fitting your criteria as it is fully customisable.  Strange

    Cheers MissE

    For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • MissEMissE Posts: 782
    As for that thread on the other forum, I think in about 5 hours it will load on my crappy internet connection in Australia lol, but it will be worth it as to whether I even wanna go and look at some of them.

    Cheers MissE

    For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Some people are so desperate to win they are stood at the stone advertising their number, not sure whether that's funny or just sad. I won't be voting for anyone who is persistently advertising.
    I won't be voting for anything that's furnished either as I prefer a level playing field. In the end I've found a few designs that are similar to my own but have a layout I prefer, especially good stairs, that's a must!
  • CetricCetric Posts: 152
    MissE said:
    Cetric said:
    Things that I look for for choosing one to vote on:

    1. Does it look like a "Classic" House, in that other people would want to live here?
    2. Does it have too much personalization?
    3. Does it have space to customize?
    4. Is it easy to move around in?
    5. Does it meet the name Castle or Keep in some form?

     Going with the classic theme, I think its easy to see many that are done up amazing, but just offer way too much customization and personalizationto work as a home that may be duplicated EVERYWHERE.  Think about that, there will be more than just your custom house, there will be many of these.  Open spaces, with correct building tile could be big to allow for the crafted granite to create your own rooms and style.

    I also think its important, being a classic house, that it looks like, functions like, and feels like a classic castle/keep.  This means overuse of water features, grass covering the room, rooms on the roof, being one big giant cube can hurt their function (though I did choose a few that had these things, done well enough to overcome or they do fall in line with the flow of the house).  Footprint I think is very important for a classic house.  They are all recgonizable immediately, These winners should be too.

    Another point I hit was the number of flaws.  Misplaced windows, stairs leading to door openings that dont line up, and things of that nature that render the aestethic of the house rough or the usage of areas non-functional ruled out many.  I got the feeling some were overwhelmed with the amount of time it took to customize a 31x31 plot, and rushed many pieces that do stick out.



    These are my favorites below, there were twice as many, I cut them down based on some of the criteria above:


    Castles

    32 - Pink Floors bugs me a bit, otherwise nice gothic style
    59 - nice, simple, different, gothic style makes for a nice castle
    136 - looks good, marble style is a bit off putting for a castle, but it is clean
    141 - this feels like a non-cube medieval castle, and done up with room to customize =P
    143 - simple, basic, a castle in a classic sense
    178 - very nice, despite grass roof being a no-no to me.  Cube-ish
    206 - clean, marble.  Not castlish, but more "mansion"
    255 - an up to date take on the classic castle
    285 - really nice castle, just wish there were stairs to the bottom floor
    290 - similiar to 285, same problem


    Keeps

    19 - reminds me of wayne manor or something, but good design
    35 - sandstone keep, and looks great.  My only complaint is the upper rooms access
    101 - the only "heavily detailed, personalized" one i think could make it, really nice
    113 - looks like a keep, some unused space and stuff, but defined look
    132 - like a sandstone mansion
    187 - villa style, reminds me of a vineyard home
    202 - sandstone take on a keep, looks great for something different but classic.
    219 - like a villa on steroids, looks good
    232 - its a keep, and has a defined look

    special shout out to the guy who took a shot at recreating "Minas Tirith" though =)

    if i picked 3 of each right this second:

    castle
    59
    141
    255/285

    keep
    187
    202
    219
    Odd as my castle fits all your criteria and has a similar outward look to the keep i did (232) on your list. Personally I think the castle (199) is much better than the keep in fitting your criteria as it is fully customisable.  Strange
    What can I say, i liked it better in keep form than castle
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Cetric said:
    Things that I look for for choosing one to vote on:

    1. Does it look like a "Classic" House, in that other people would want to live here?
    2. Does it have too much personalization?
    3. Does it have space to customize?
    4. Is it easy to move around in?
    5. Does it meet the name Castle or Keep in some form?

     Going with the classic theme, I think its easy to see many that are done up amazing, but just offer way too much customization and personalizationto work as a home that may be duplicated EVERYWHERE.  Think about that, there will be more than just your custom house, there will be many of these.  Open spaces, with correct building tile could be big to allow for the crafted granite to create your own rooms and style.

    I also think its important, being a classic house, that it looks like, functions like, and feels like a classic castle/keep.  This means overuse of water features, grass covering the room, rooms on the roof, being one big giant cube can hurt their function (though I did choose a few that had these things, done well enough to overcome or they do fall in line with the flow of the house).  Footprint I think is very important for a classic house.  They are all recgonizable immediately, These winners should be too.

    Another point I hit was the number of flaws.  Misplaced windows, stairs leading to door openings that dont line up, and things of that nature that render the aestethic of the house rough or the usage of areas non-functional ruled out many.  I got the feeling some were overwhelmed with the amount of time it took to customize a 31x31 plot, and rushed many pieces that do stick out.



    These are my favorites below, there were twice as many, I cut them down based on some of the criteria above:


    Castles

    32 - Pink Floors bugs me a bit, otherwise nice gothic style
    59 - nice, simple, different, gothic style makes for a nice castle
    136 - looks good, marble style is a bit off putting for a castle, but it is clean
    141 - this feels like a non-cube medieval castle, and done up with room to customize =P
    143 - simple, basic, a castle in a classic sense
    178 - very nice, despite grass roof being a no-no to me.  Cube-ish
    206 - clean, marble.  Not castlish, but more "mansion"
    255 - an up to date take on the classic castle
    285 - really nice castle, just wish there were stairs to the bottom floor
    290 - similiar to 285, same problem


    Keeps

    19 - reminds me of wayne manor or something, but good design
    35 - sandstone keep, and looks great.  My only complaint is the upper rooms access
    101 - the only "heavily detailed, personalized" one i think could make it, really nice
    113 - looks like a keep, some unused space and stuff, but defined look
    132 - like a sandstone mansion
    187 - villa style, reminds me of a vineyard home
    202 - sandstone take on a keep, looks great for something different but classic.
    219 - like a villa on steroids, looks good
    232 - its a keep, and has a defined look

    special shout out to the guy who took a shot at recreating "Minas Tirith" though =)

    if i picked 3 of each right this second:

    castle
    59
    141
    255/285

    keep
    187
    202
    219
    Strange that with all your #1-5 list of must haves that #52 and #75 doesn't even get a mention considering that both have fully open 4 floors that you can do whatever you want to inside, with the stairs put in out of the way places.  But sadly IMHO a design will be picked that has more door and stairs in it than carter has little liver pills and more than half the plot will be a garden bed on the first floor and very little usable floor space inside for displaying anything but everybody will rant and rave that it looks so beautiful.
  • CetricCetric Posts: 152
    edited August 2018
    The list is just the ones I liked myself people.  My "favorites".  Don't be so damn offended.  As for 52 and 75.  They are just too borg cube for my liking
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I am not offended because I do not have a horse in this race but I look at function long before I look at beauty in all these.  Where to put everything and how will most of those designs even come close to holding all the items a Castle can hold, they wont but they will look perty.
Sign In or Register to comment.