whats the point in having a castle design contest?

why not just implement the castle / keep customization tool on shards and let people do what they want with their castles? Really don't understand why this game has to make everything more complicated then it needs to be.

Comments

• Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Because loading a custom 18x18 crammed full of crap is already laggy enough. Loading a custom 32x32 crammed full of stuff and 3 extra floors would be nasty. 

Client-stored house styles (anything "classic") load much faster since they don't require the walls and floor to be sent from the server. 
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    The lag from custom housing was tolerated just fine when UO was a much more populated game. I think it can survive if now just fine.
    One of the unique attractions of UO is it's customiseable housing system. For many players it's an integral part of the gameplay. Creativity that many players display with 18x18 is trusly amazing, and there is no reason to prevent them from doing the same with castles. Pre-Made castles is a woefully inadequate half measure that will not solve a problem that has a very simple solution.
  • Agreed, want to design my own! 
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Agreed, want to design my own! 
    Exactly.   Up the custom plot sizes to a max of 25x25 and leave castles alone.  Fix the preloading (which is none) of houses as well.  
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Wow talk about giving an inch and people demanding a mile.

thanks to the ungratefulness of this thread, they should now withdraw any new castle designs. 

This is why you ungrateful people deserve nothing.

some people build ugly ugly buildings, that we all have to look at.  (talking about smaller buildings now) there should be a form of planning permission. Once you’ve designed a plot, you should have to submit the design to the shard EM, and if the EM has months of backlog, so be it. And people could bribe their way to having their plans approved faster or with less scrutiny.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Well there was talk of a castle design tool.  That went away and now you can just customize the plot.  Lets just do that now.   Will put many tons of pavers back into the game.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,175
    I agree, can't wait to see what people come up with! Post pics!!!!

• Hey now, we are grateful!  We like it.  We'd just like it more if we could design our own castles and keeps.  I have no doubts that the community will come up with beautiful designs but it's great to be able to make what you want.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I love it but I'm really a single story guy that's why i wish we could do our own !! North of Minic fel on test look for yay on house sign 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    Mervyn said:
    some people build ugly ugly buildings, that we all have to look at.  
     (talking about smaller buildings now) there should be a form of planning permission. Once you’ve designed a plot, you should have to submit the design to the shard EM, and if the EM has months of backlog, so be it. And people could bribe their way to having their plans approved faster or with less scrutiny.
    Some people wear mismatched clothing. Some is outright ugly. Why don't we have GMs review and approve what everyone is wearing. While they are at it, they should review and approve skill templates, because some players' templates are just atrocious. Oh, hell, why don't they play the game for us too while they are at it?
    Designing housing is a big part of the game, and not allowing it because someone's very subjective sense of beauty might be offended goes against the spirit of the sandbox that UO pioneered.
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    There would be less lag from a customisable plot than accidently stepping on the steps of a current castle with the few 1000's stone pavers and building blocks at the moment...

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    So we have the 31x31 Borg cube and the building blocks on top to make it an 8 story high-rise = double lag, won't that be fun.
  • They will never allow us to customize a 31x31 Plot, because the servers would crash!. I dont know about you guys, but many many times I entered a customized castle and I crashed. Another thing that they will have to consider, after they pick the winner design, people that currently own a castle and want to "resize" their castle in other to place the new design, really pay attention before doing, because there is many Castles that have a Tree in the courtyard.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    The lag in castles is already really bad, they don't even need extra floors just a ton of clutter! I don't know how anyone on an older PC can even move around in places like that. 
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited August 2018
    Tempest said:
    why not just implement the castle / keep customization tool on shards and let people do what they want with their castles? Really don't understand why this game has to make everything more complicated then it needs to be.
    Bonnie promised it without giving it any thoughts.

Now they are trying to save their faces... it all started with "draw it on paper" lol. 
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • AQHFAQHF Posts: 47
    edited August 2018
    Personally I think they should just get rid of castle sized plots-- they are too big and take up too much space-- and up the storage space of smaller plots to encourage people to want small houses. The landscape would look a lot better, be easier to move around in, and a small select few wouldn't have a ridiculously larger amount of storage than those who couldn't find a castle spot.

But, doubt that will happen. And since I do have an account with a castle, I guess I should go design something with practical rooms and without three stupid sets of doors that need to be opened to get inside. *sigh*