Honing Your Craft

OrtOrt Posts: 12
After spending some time doing crafting in the beta, I started to think about how the crafting path might be improved to feel more useful. I've found little success trying to sell people my wares and I believe it may be, at least partially, because it's fairly easy to become a GM in a skill like carpentry for example. If people want to decorate their house, they can just create a character and go down the carpentry path, in a day or two, they'll be able to make everything they want.

What if you couldn't make everything you want? What if there were sub-specializations within the crafting paths that allowed you to build rare items? Just like how at the beginning of your character, you have to make choices that permanently affect how your character evolves, these sub-specializations would cut you off from some options but make others available.

I think this could potentially bolster player trade for custom built items. For example, if someone goes down the blacksmithing track, after they hit GM they could "hone" their ability to focus on armor rather than weapons. This would enable certain bonuses to the gear to match the quality of more sought after equipment found in dungeons. There could be even further sub-specializations that granted bonuses to plate armor only. Even further, you could could really specialize and make the most insanely powerful plate helmets, making you one of the most sought after plate helm blacksmiths in the entire shard.

I feel like this kind of specialization could really add to the crafting experience and would encourage trade for custom items in New Legacy.

Do you think this is the direction the New Legacy gameplay is headed? Is there anything else you'd like to see implemented? I'm interested to hear what other players think.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,643
    Not sure if others would like it.  But, that is interesting and if it were in the game now, I wouldn't complain.

If you could make armor higher than of Ruin, then players would buy.  Maybe we are not seeing everything that can be crafted until the thing is the Lyceum gets taller. 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,138Moderator
    edited August 11
    I think you're reaching this conclusion too early in the process. I would advise you to contribute bods at the lyceum and re-think when you see where that leads.
    I admit there is going to be limited need for furniture, although with only 2 chars per account, some don't like crafting and will make some kind of mage-based char and some warrior type. I feel that the main purpose of carpenters may be more in bowcrafting, but I could be wrong in that.

As it stands currently, archers will need you to 'repair' their looted bows to increase the durability.
  • OrtOrt Posts: 12
    edited August 13
    I spent more time in this week's beta test and learned about the Congiarium. I contributed a few BODs and saw that some players were able to select enhancements that affected the whole shard. I find this interesting but there are a few issues I see.

Other than contributing to everyone on the shard gaining access to more powerful items, there doesn't seem to be any personal reward or motivation for adding BODs at the Lyceum for most individuals.

The top three contributors get a title along with their enhancement selection but I'd venture to guess their contributions are probably only a fraction of the total BODs. So even though they contributed the most per player, more player time and effort went in to fulfilling the Congiarium's requirements. This does not seem fair to me and I believe players should be rewarded in direct proportion to their contribution because there would be no advancement without their help.

Even if only a handful of players were able to contribute enough BODs to complete a section of the tower, what would be the point of contributing if I knew I could not play as much as other players and had no chance of receiving the reward? It would make more sense for me to stock up on Congia and reap the rewards of their work instead of turning in my BODs to the Congiarium.

I still think the top contributors should receive special rewards and the titles and enhancements are good rewards. I think a great way to reward them would be through special cosmetic craftables that only that crafter could make using resources along with large amounts of congia to prevent flooding the market and keeping those items sought after.

But I really believe players should be rewarded for their contribution because they are putting their time in. It doesn't feel great spending hours throwing BODs into a proverbial void to compete for just a chance for a reward when I am fairly sure there are diehards who are way ahead of me. This isn't the Olympics, it's a game and it should feel fun and rewarding. It shouldn't feel like work and that's kind of how it feels, but you might not even get paid.

I am a returning player and I'm intrigued by New Legacy. I only bring this up because I think it's an area that could be improved on. If NL was hopeless, I wouldn't bother spending a second to write this so I hope my feedback is helpful. Keep up the good work!
  • PinochlePinochle Posts: 26
    I have played a few other games as a crafter, and at some point when my tailor needs a buckle for making something of good value (say a large bag container or a next stage pair of boots) but only a blacksmith can make a buckle, blacksmiths know what others need to improve thier craft and charge a fortune for a buckle. Not a fan,.So far in this beta, my crafter is a crafter of three disciplines, carpentry, tailoring, and blacksmithing, as the tinkering has been combined with blacksmithing you can toss that discipline in also. Big fan. I do not like forced cooperation in crafting, I enjoy taking down large mobs with a group of fellow mages, rangers and fighters, but I prefer crafting alone.