Forum Livelyhood

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,613
    Yup.  Things should work.  

@username Firefox is dead?  I remember when it was the new cool kid on the block. I never got to meet it. So sad.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,459
    I just launched Firefox today and I'm still logged in.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,613
    I just launched Firefox today and I'm still logged in.
    Seems to be good timing.  NL Beta will make the forum lively.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 321
    @ sibble is 100% right, @ Pawain I use your method everyday and it works, some days are faster than others.  Is it right? Hell no!  We should all be able to log in first time, every time and stay logged in for 24 hours every time.  Does DAoC have this issue, if they do not then maybe @ Mesanna @ Kyronix @ Bleak should ask them for help considering the are run by the same company.

It is my understanding that this issue is only with the UO forums. It is also my understanding that UO forums is built using VanillaForums but VanillaForums does not have the same bug. May be UO forum needs an update?
  • sibblesibble Posts: 174
    edited July 15
    For all we know it could be related to EA's SSO API

I really tried to hunt this issue down from a client perspective but every hint lead me down a dead-end.

It's extremely troublesome knowing 65% of all web users are using Chrome and another 5% on Edge which both use the same webkit and both have the same issue.

That's 70% of all traffic, meaning it's possible and likely that up to 70% of all visitors can't login to the forum.
    "everything looks stupid" UO feedback 2024
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 321
    edited July 15
    sibble said:
    For all we know it could be related to EA's SSO API

I really tried to hunt this issue down from a client perspective but every hint lead me down a dead-end.

It's extremely troublesome knowing 65% of all web users are using Chrome and another 5% on Edge which both use the same webkit and both have the same issue.

That's 70% of all traffic, meaning it's possible and likely that up to 70% of all visitors can't login to the forum.

I am not going to do any kind of debugging for UO. F**K NO!! Last time I tried to help them I spent 10+ hours chasing in game exploits, chasing players with knowledge of in game exploits, finding accounts, reporting house locations. After all that, they refused to take an action or follow up. That being said, if they decided to pay me, I think I can quickly find the source of this bug and fix it in no time.

If you or someone else wants to sacrifice your own time for UO, you can open the network tab on both Firefox and Chrome, login multiple times on both, then compare the payloads, then see which API call, which payload, etc. is causing the problem.

If you want to nail things down for sure, you can use Puppeteer or PlayWright and cross check the payloads, versions, etc and nail down the exact problem. One of the tests I would run to find this issue would be to login using Firefox driver, dump the firefox payload, then use Chrome driver but send the firefox payload (including the agent/headers/etc), and try to see where it behaves differently. This way, you will have a Puppeteer or PlayWright script that can reliably reproduce this bug to a minute detail. Once you can reliably reproduce a bug, and figure out exactly what condition causes the bug, fix should follow in no time.

But be warned, after all of this, there will not be any fixes. You will be wasting your time. The same way I wasted my time trying to help UO devs. Heed my words, go play another game instead of wasting your time here. Or, you can do as I do and keep bashing the devs here... At the very least, it is hella entertaining :)