What is your favorite armor item in UO?

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

Comments

• AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 269
    Is it a paid job you have to just ask the most nonsense questions for no reason?  If so that's a pretty sweet gig.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    Corrupted Paladin Vambraces.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • sibblesibble Posts: 174
    Mushroom Cultivator's Apron

- +Alchemy - a skill you can't get on jewels.
    - 15% EP - allowing 35% EP jewels to match up and meet the 50% cap.
    - No durability

Can we get another event with this item please?  Ty <3
    "everything looks stupid" UO feedback 2024
    Is it a paid job you have to just ask the most nonsense questions for no reason?  If so that's a pretty sweet gig.
    Don't worry, favorite hairstyle will be soon.  
  • I'm not sure if the question is regarding stats on a piece of armor or the armor type itself.

I'll share this. When I first started playing UO I loved the look of ring mail armor. I started UO as a tailor making fancy shirts for gold. It took forever to get my STR high enough to wear the ring mail armor. I couldn't wait to wear it.

When I was finally strong enough to wear it I had a ring mail leggings, red cape, red sash, red boots, and red wizard hat. I didn't have any armor for my arms, but the white fancy long sleeve shirt looked so good it reminded me of Ramirez from the 1986 movie Highlander. (i know, just be kind)

I'd proudly walked the streets in Brit near the banks and blacksmiths shop showing off my outfit. I was really loving this game.

One day as I walked pass the blacksmith shop and a fellow asked me for "cheese". I of course ignored him and continued my walk near the Brit graveyard. I felt so secure and powerful in my ring mail armor that I decided to fight a skeleton or two. I had zero melee skills and only 60 ish tailoring skill, but I had my ring mail armor to protect me.

It took a while but I did slay a number of zombies and skeletons. I started counting my gold. I made a good amount of gold in a short period of time. I was loving UO even more.

Then I was interrupted, "Cheese, Brickmat want cheese!"

I said "no!"

Then at the bottom left of my screen I was notified that Brickmat stole some of my gold!

I looked at Brickmat. He had on an orc helm and a death robe. It looked like he was holding a walking cane. He didn't intimated me at all. I just killed a number of zombies and skeletons with ease. "Whats this cheese eater going to do to me in my ring mail armor." I thought.

I drop into war mode and swing my long sword at Brickmat. I miss twice but Brickmat fled deeper into the brit graveyard.

Someone in a death robe ran by and said "just give him cheese!"

"Ya right!" I remember thinking justice is about to be served. Then Brickmat charged at me in a full run. He ran right next to me then disappeared! A second later I recieved another message Brickmat stole more of my gold and Brickmat ran again deeper into the graveyard.

"WTH!"

This time I give chase. I get close enough to swing my longsword, again I miss. This time I heard "ting, ting, ting" and everything was grey. I was a ghost. 

Brickmat wasn't holding a walking cane, but a short spear.

It took forever to get res'd. By the time I got back to my body everything was gone. All I had was my death robe and an arrow in my back as someone saw I was freshly res'd and decided to PK me.

I ran back to the healer that res'd me. This time I was res killed over and over to the point of anger. I logged off UO and turned off my computer thinking... I this game sucks!

The next day, I created a new character. This time I created a thief. I trained stealing, snooping, archery, and magery. I made friends with the people at the Brit graveyard. Joined my first guild EiG. The next two years became the best gaming experience ever. Nothing has even come close to the level of fun I had everyday in UO.

If I never met Brickmat who knows how things would have turned out. I never saw him again, or my ring mail armor lol.

The end.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 233
    I dunno about my favorite armor, but my least favorite are the Mondain's Legacy armor sets. These things were unwearable garbage when they were brand new, and there's absolutely no way they should still be on the Doom Gauntlet drop table at this point.
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 234
    Pawain said:
    It's called engagement. It may not be your cup of tea, but even fluff is better than what we had before...which was nothing. Fenneko is likely doing the best with whatever crumbs she's given.

At least we have a community manager again, it's been what ~15 years since Jeremy? Be happy we have someone who's trying.
    Pawain said:
    It's called engagement. It may not be your cup of tea, but even fluff is better than what we had before...which was nothing. Fenneko is likely doing the best with whatever crumbs she's given.

At least we have a community manager again, it's been what ~15 years since Jeremy? Be happy we have someone who's trying.
    I'm with you.  Glad to see you here!  I have heard that Betty is into hair products. So she can be more engaged at that time.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,240
    I made friends with the people at the Brit graveyard. Joined my first guild EiG. The next two years became the best gaming experience ever. Nothing has even come close to the level of fun I had everyday in UO.

If I never met Brickmat who knows how things would have turned out.

Now that you say the name I do remember playing with Brickmat and as the saying goes, we were "thick as thieves" back then mainly because we were both thieves and both had fencing skill. Our typical plot was to lure someone just outside the guard zone, steal from them in a death robe or newbie clothes to entice brave (new) warriors/mages to attack us. We would run off screen to equip a spear and some armor and then come back to finish people off. It would be funny chasing people into the guard zone and they would be calling for the guards but since they initiated the attack the guards never came. Ah, the good ol days.

This is probably right around the time we started to hang out; many, many, many, MANY moons ago (not sure if you went by Fortinbras at that time). I remember it was like a UO right of passage at the Brit GY on ATL to have something stolen, attack the thief, be killed by the thief. I'd say half the people would come back and we'd get to talking and they ended up being cool so they would become part of our clique. Very fond memories around that time in the game.

Pawain said:

Here is a name I haven't seen in a long time! Good to see a post from you Dot; hope all is well.

I do think Atomic has a point. The community engagement asking what our favorite XYZ in game is comes off tone deaf when there are major gaps in engagement for things we haven't heard a peep about in months like NL updates / content roadmaps / bug fixes / etc. 

Perfect example is when pub 117 was being released and there were questions about garden shed and the sheers (which broke after release). The first "communication" we received from the Dev team was probably a week later and was "What was your first UO House". It completely dismisses questions/concerns the community has and comes off as a total deflection. It's like someone asking for help with their burning house and the firefighter is asking about what their favorite gum is. For me, this is just checking a box to say the Dev team has interacted with player base; all while completely avoiding the major points which defeats the purpose of having a community manager.
  • My John character's shield.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 269
    Pawain said:

It's really not better Fenneko has done nothing for the community since being hired and is actually quite useless for the game.  For a game on budget she is a waste of money
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,408
    Pawain said:

It's really not better Fenneko has done nothing for the community since being hired and is actually quite useless for the game.  For a game on budget she is a waste of money
    You are 100% right @AtomicBetty.  If this is the extent of her job then it is a waste of resources
    This forum sure has a lot of posters that need hand holding.   Worth every penny for that.
  • warrawarra Posts: 26
    Don't mind AtomicBetty -- she just acts like she has a sandy vag when it comes to interacting with ppl.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,995
    edited July 17

My favourite Armor item ?

One that does not yet exist... a "container" that would hold up to 500 Armor items but count as 1 item..... an "Armoire"....

I would also like to have a Weapons' rack that holds up to 500 weapons but counts as 1 item...

We have in UO containers tp hold and stock better a variety of items, including seeds, but when it comes to the most used items in the game, Armor and Weapons, nothing...

Imagine how useful such containers could be to sort Armor and Weapons, filter them by properties...

Need to find that head piece with those resistances ? Enter the number in the container's filter paramethers and find that one piece within the 500 stored...

Same with Weapons... need to find that Slayer for Macing with a specific property ? Enter the data in the filter and find it in no time within the 500 Weapons' stored...

It would enhance UO players gameplay a whole lot yet, after 25+ Years that UO exists, we have yet to have such containers in the game...

Go figure...

@Kyronix ?

• vortexvortex Posts: 214
    popps said:

My favourite Armor item ?

One that does not yet exist... a "container" that would hold up to 500 Armor items but count as 1 item..... an "Armoire"....

I would also like to have a Weapons' rack that holds up to 500 weapons but counts as 1 item...

We have in UO containers tp hold and stock better a variety of items, including seeds, but when it comes to the most used items in the game, Armor and Weapons, nothing...

Imagine how useful such containers could be to sort Armor and Weapons, filter them by properties...

Need to find that head piece with those resistances ? Enter the number in the container's filter paramethers and find that one piece within the 500 stored...

Same with Weapons... need to find that Slayer for Macing with a specific property ? Enter the data in the filter and find it in no time within the 500 Weapons' stored...

It would enhance UO players gameplay a whole lot yet, after 25+ Years that UO exists, we have yet to have such containers in the game...

Go figure...

@ Kyronix ?

Would you wear this container on your head?
  • TimTim Posts: 811
    vortex said:
    popps said:
    Would you wear this container on your head?
    Did you really expect him to have read the question?
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 574
    edited July 18
    Bone Armor has always been my favorite, due to it's look. In early UO, Bone Armor had the highest base AR (more than even Plate), but it couldn't be crafted, so regular Bone Armor looted off of Skeletons wasn't as good as Exceptional Plate crafted by smiths. Magical Bone Armor was better than equivalent magical Plate Armor, but was a lot rarer. Unlike metal armor, you could also cast Reactive Armor (which back then absorbed damage like Attunement does nowadays) with Bone Armor on, for even more protection.

I also like the look of Dragon Plate Armor. Back when it was first introduced around LBR, it had an innate property that functioned like Eater does nowadays, but it also had a drawback. For example, Red Dragon Plate would reduce the amount of Fire Damage you take, but increase the damage you took from Poison.
    Nowadays, you rarely ever see Dragon Plate (other than Gloves of Feudal Grip), due to magical Dragon Armor pieces only being available via Malas Warrior T-Maps, and Legendary Artifact versions from those are incredibly rare.

• TheoTheo Posts: 184
    edited July 23
    Why can't we delete comments?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    This forum restricts edits to one hour from initial post, but if there's really a need to delete something just send me a DM and I'll do it for you.