Pirate hats event

2»

Comments

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,039
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:
    popps said:
    Everything but the Void Pool sounds like a waste of time as far as drop rates go.

The Void Pool has nothing of all this, just wait for the waves and kill, kill and kill some more and get Pirate Hats.

FYI - Once the void pool waves conclude (however long you can hold them back), players do need to wait 15min for it to begin again. That combined with how many people there actually are doing the void pool could make for a varying amount of hats.

To my knowledge the void pool doesn't spawn more stuff based on how many people are there; on TC1 I didn't notice a difference in spawn when I was solo vs when there were 3 people there (maybe that wasn't enough people?). It's very likely there will be a "sweet spot" where the number of players compared to the spawn in the waves is great, but on both ends the drops will be limited due to not enough spawn to kill or too much spawn that you are being overrun. Depending on your shard, the void pool might actually be worse than pirating (or chest hunting).

I'm not 100% on this yet but my initial thoughts are that it will be extremely hard to purposefully maximize the hour a glorious potion is active (there will likely be more downtime than we usually have). I couldn't test anything with luck pots because the Dev team didn't provide us with any (I did ask for a clickie for them) and I don't currently have any on my Prod shard to xfer.

That said, the reward list is extremely light for this event (the luck helm is only for human/elves - issue of altering was brought up to Dev team but no response) so I have no plan on buying/using luck potions for this event.
    The Glorious Potion argument that you bring up is very on spot, I think.

It cost real money, and it lasts for 1 hour, that's it.

Collection Methods for Pirate Hats which have dead times, be them sailing to find a Beacon, Dread Pirates, Merchant Ships, or looking for a spot to dig the chest up or the location to fish up an SOS or to get them to spawn and fight Corgul, Charybdis, Scalis all look like bummers to me to spend real money on a 1 hour lasting Glorious Potion and then see it gone with a lot of time gone by not getting Pirate Hats but going through the "dead" times that such collection methods inevitably have.

The Void Pool, other then the 15 minutes downtime, is much more faster paced and if one uses the Glorious Potion from the lower waves, there is plenty time to stay within the 1 hour timer of the potion.

What I am trying to say is, that while the Void Pool looks to me to couple well with the Glorious Potion, the same I cannot say about the other collection methods for Pirate Hats,because of their "dead" times....
    My best advice is to take your own advice which you have provided above leave having fun to us real seafaring folks
  • firecfirec Posts: 16
    Feigr said:
    This is the reason they ask people to come to test. If you don't go to test then you don't have any reason to complain. But this wasn't this easy on test either from my experience so I don't know what changed between test and here.
    But I guess they will get it straight :)

People can complain if they don't test.  There's no requirement to test for a company.
    This exactly. I've literally never worked for a company in my 20+ year in software that didn't test their own software. They are making the players test for them, are the players that participate in the testing being paid?

I'm paying for this service. This just feels like slavery, with extra steps.
  • OnixiaOnixia Posts: 85
    I am very disappointed that not a single decorative item was included in the list of things you could get.  I was hoping at the very least a pirate flag.  There is always something for us decorators.  This time nothing.  I am sad.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,120
    edited April 16

This event is for many playstyes in UO.

Play the style you prefer.  I do not do T maps or SoS.  I prefer Pirating and Void Pool. The better you are, the more drops you get.  Just as the event should be.

T maps SoS are for solo players.  Solo players can also join the void pool with any template that can kill stuff and/or help keep things alive.
    Pirating is for Solo Player or groups.  Pirateers may also join the void pool.

The Void Pool is for groups.  Unless you want to play it for fun solo or with friends or a guild.
    You do not get drops at a good rate until it  gets to level 30. You can get 4 drops before level 30. You may get more.
    After level 30 drops are plenty and so is the adrenalin.  Everyone should do the Void Pool with all templates.  You do not win void pool. We all die.  The mobs do not steal.  Use a Untertakers staff.

This is all you need to know for the event. 

Kyronix said:
    Luck provided by equipment & other items will not have any effect on the drop rate for Plunderin' Pirate Hats.

The Potion of Glorious Fortune will increase the drop rate of Plunderin' Pirate Hats in all collection methods.

Plunderin' Pirate Hats collected via the Void Pool will be awarded based on the number of waves participated in, with higher drop chances in waves 30+

Plunderin' Pirate Hats do not take the place of any items in chests or SoS.  The number of hats delivered is dependent on the level of the chest.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MinocMinerMinocMiner Posts: 19
    firec said:
    Feigr said:
    This is the reason they ask people to come to test. If you don't go to test then you don't have any reason to complain. But this wasn't this easy on test either from my experience so I don't know what changed between test and here.

People can complain if they don't test.  There's no requirement to test for a company.
    This exactly. I've literally never worked for a company in my 20+ year in software that didn't test their own software. They are making the players test for them, are the players that participate in the testing being paid?

This is absolutely the worst take on this I have ever seen. Have you ever played any other MMO before? Test servers that receive content patches first is 100% the norm for live-service games. You cannot effectively test what hundreds or thousands of people are going to do vs internal testing/tools.

I'm sure if companies developing standard software could put out an "alpha" version and have people excited to look at it for them, they would. "Yo homie, the new Quicken 2025 edition just dropped to Alpha, we gotta check that out ASAP!!!!" 

Actually, Steam already does this with "Early Access" games, that you have to pay full price for, for the "privilege" of playing a buggy game that is still in development, with no guarantee the full thing will actually be released.

But guess what, other software has patches to fix bugs. I'm sure as someone in software for "20+ years" would realize that.

It is such a toxic mindset to have that just because the content went to TC1, it must mean nothing was tested beforehand.

Let's see, outside of adjusting the drop rates after feedback this was the state of event content:
    • Treasure Hunting - Worked
    • SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Plunderbeacons - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked
    • High Seas Bosses - Worked
    • Void Pool - Oops, missed people getting rewards without actively participating.
    Hmm, guess that must mean nothing was tested! Slavery! Pitchforks! Rabble Rabble!

I guess no other software in existence takes feedback from users on how things could be made better or improved. It's just those damn lazy UO devs right?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,801
    edited April 16
    @popps ; , to maximize your hour of potion luck when doing tmaps prefind the general chest location, mark a rune, and put the rune into a runic atlas. Do this for a large number of maps. Drink the potion, recall around, dig up the chests, kill the guardians,  and recall to the next chest location without unlocking or untrapping the chest you just dug up. You have 1 hour to open and loot a chest after digging it up before it poofs. I can do over 25 cache maps an hour using this method.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,176
    popps said:
    The Glorious Potion argument that you bring up is very on spot, I think.

It cost real money, and it lasts for 1 hour, that's it.

Collection Methods for Pirate Hats which have dead times, be them sailing to find a Beacon, Dread Pirates, Merchant Ships, or looking for a spot to dig the chest up or the location to fish up an SOS or to get them to spawn and fight Corgul, Charybdis, Scalis all look like bummers to me to spend real money on a 1 hour lasting Glorious Potion and then see it gone with a lot of time gone by not getting Pirate Hats but going through the "dead" times that such collection methods inevitably have.

The Void Pool, other then the 15 minutes downtime, is much more faster paced and if one uses the Glorious Potion from the lower waves, there is plenty time to stay within the 1 hour timer of the potion.

What I am trying to say is, that while the Void Pool looks to me to couple well with the Glorious Potion, the same I cannot say about the other collection methods for Pirate Hats,because of their "dead" times....

I think you mis-percieved the last part of what I said;using luck potions aren't mandatory to use. If you don't think it's worth it to use one then you don't have to; especially since you have yet to test anything to even know if the drop rate is "good" in your own opinion.

At some point you have to stop taking what people write here and actually go play the game to formulate your own opinion.
    edited April 16
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

Let's see, outside of adjusting the drop rates after feedback this was the state of event content:
    • SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked
    • Void Pool - Oops, missed people getting rewards without actively participating.
    Hmm, guess that must mean nothing was tested! Slavery! Pitchforks! Rabble Rabble!

I guess no other software in existence takes feedback from users on how things could be made better or improved. It's just those damn lazy UO devs right?
    I like the mechanics. Some players are better than others at some of the encounters.  I would get 5 an hour maybe from T hunting or SoS.  Some can do them fast.  Especially SoS.  

I was not getting many drops before level 30 so I did not think to try putting an afk person there, much less be able to keep them alive and test that.  :D
    edited April 16
    You know the players who put out afk toons, knew this from TC.  I hope the revert made them lose drops.

They did not reveal it to the devs.

UO has so few players when compared to all online games.  Why do we have so many cheaters at every opportunity?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,039
    Pawain said:
    You know the players who put out afk toons, knew this from TC.  I hope the revert made them lose drops.

UO has so few players when compared to all online games.  Why do we have so many cheaters at every opportunity?
    We have so many cheaters because the real people left are willing to pay real money as they have more money than time UO could easily stop them by selling everything in the UO store for less yet choose not too
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,176
    edited April 16
    Pawain said:

I don't know if I'd consider hanging out in Cove getting "free" drops "cheating". They were taking advantage of the increased drop rate before they have to start grinding. There is no rule that says "players cannot get free drops" so I don't consider it cheating.

Now if we are talking about the stacked gargs/archers (or whatever other combo) clearly multiboxing like we see at every other event; then yea that's by definition cheating because it's clearly against the TOS. The answer to why people do that is because the rule against it isn't enforced.
    edited April 16
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

We have so many cheaters because the real people left are willing to pay real money as they have more money than time UO could easily stop them by selling everything in the UO store for less yet choose not too
    So a seller in a popular game would be a billionaire? 

And how many items do the unreal people buy from the UO store or from Vic in the back of the British Castle stable?
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 906
    edited April 16
    Pawain said:

And how many items do the unreal people buy from the UO store or from Vic in the back of the British Castle stable?

in-game billionaire, easily.     I wouldn't be surprised if some third-party sellers in UO aren't making roughly 30k+/year (Irl $) easily,  as much of that you see on discord?   and that's only a fraction of it.    of course, it would have been more profitable back in the day, when gold was worth like $10-15 /mil... but people actually thought they'd lose their accounts for cheating back then, and some did.     now it seems to be a rarity for anything to happen, even though the cheating has become indescribably more blatant.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • firecfirec Posts: 16
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

This is absolutely the worst take on this I have ever seen. Have you ever played any other MMO before? Test servers that receive content patches first is 100% the norm for live-service games. You cannot effectively test what hundreds or thousands of people are going to do vs internal testing/tools.

I'm sure if companies developing standard software could put out an "alpha" version and have people excited to look at it for them, they would. "Yo homie, the new Quicken 2025 edition just dropped to Alpha, we gotta check that out ASAP!!!!" 

Actually, Steam already does this with "Early Access" games, that you have to pay full price for, for the "privilege" of playing a buggy game that is still in development, with no guarantee the full thing will actually be released.

But guess what, other software has patches to fix bugs. I'm sure as someone in software for "20+ years" would realize that.

It is such a toxic mindset to have that just because the content went to TC1, it must mean nothing was tested beforehand.

• SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked

I can appreciate the fact that you are triggered and feel the need to attack me personally, saying I have a toxic mindset, as well as trying to belittle my professional experience, so allow me to respond to your allegations.

"This is absolutely the worst take on this I have ever seen. Have you ever played any other MMO before?" - Yes, I used to play MMORPGs until about 2005, when I lost interest. Haven't played much since then until I got back into UO about a year ago. In those days, beta tests were always associated with some sort of participation award or incentive. Does UO have a program like that?

"Test servers that receive content patches first is 100% the norm for live-service games." - If this is truly the norm, I would call it out as bad practice. Just because other people do it, does it mean you have to as well?

"You cannot effectively test what hundreds or thousands of people are going to do vs internal testing/tools." - This is absolutely false, have you ever heard of a VM? A single person could easily script out or automate several hundred VMs to do basic functions inside the game. Automation tools are so easily accessible these days I would be shocked if they are not being used in UO's development.

"I'm sure if companies developing standard software could put out an "alpha" version and have people excited to look at it for them, they would. "Yo homie, the new Quicken 2025 edition just dropped to Alpha, we gotta check that out ASAP!!!!" " - You're right, there's lots of people who do this. This is also something I wouldn't do. Similar to Tesla FSD, I wouldn't put my trust or something valuable into something that hasn't been properly tested yet.

"Actually, Steam already does this with "Early Access" games, that you have to pay full price for, for the "privilege" of playing a buggy game that is still in development, with no guarantee the full thing will actually be released." I never buy early access games, for the reasons stated above. I am not going to pay to have the "privilege" to test something for someone. Once again, just because someone else wants to do it, doesn't make it right.

"But guess what, other software has patches to fix bugs. I'm sure as someone in software for "20+ years" would realize that." - Yes... This is a difficult position. Of course software has bugs. They are generally delineated into severities. Nice to have, cosmetic, quality of life, problems, major problems with workarounds available, and major problems with no workarounds available. The bug that occurred caused a shutdown and small rollback for the server. This would likely fall into something that is viewed as "catastrophic, no work around available". Kyronix is likely incredibly aware of how impactful this was, and likely takes his work very seriously. When something gets by that requires that level of quick reaction and that big of an impact to their active customers... It sucks, it hurts. It feels personal.

This brings me to the conclusion, of which, you entirely missed the point. The feedback system *worked*. The players testing *worked*. The players, who have 0% ownership stake in the success of Broadsword and EA, helped to eliminate MOST of the problems identified with the publish prior to releasing on a live server. This is not their job. This is not their responsibility. This is not what they are PAYING to do. They are paying to play a game, not to test it and verify it works properly. The fact that some of them got a unique drop through means that probably shouldn't have been in..... My take is, honestly.... Let them keep it. Let it be their reward for continuing to beta test the patch. Or, if that isn't an option, find another way to reward those who actively participate and provide constructive feedback on the new publishes. This way, more people would be inclined to help. They obviously cannot afford to pay for it, otherwise there would be more than one developer. So they rely incredibly heavily on the community. At least set something up to make them feel their efforts are appreciated.

Anyhow, I haven't played the event yet @Kyronix, but it sounds like it is going to be plenty of fun and incredibly enjoyable. Thanks for all your hard work on it, and, your humility to admit something went unexpectedly and your commitment to correct things appropriately. It takes a lot personally and professionally to do all of those things.

@MinocMiner, perhaps there is some family history, past experiences, personality quirks, or other things that might have led you to personally attack me. I don't know, everyone goes through their own things at their own times, and some feel the need to lash out at others. That's unfortunate, and I wish you well.
    Cool a Philosophy class about Logic is in session.
  • MinocMinerMinocMiner Posts: 19
    firec said:
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

• SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked

I can appreciate the fact that you are triggered and feel the need to attack me personally, saying I have a toxic mindset, as well as trying to belittle my professional experience, so allow me to respond to your allegations.

"This is absolutely the worst take on this I have ever seen. Have you ever played any other MMO before?" - Yes, I used to play MMORPGs until about 2005, when I lost interest. Haven't played much since then until I got back into UO about a year ago. In those days, beta tests were always associated with some sort of participation award or incentive. Does UO have a program like that?

"Test servers that receive content patches first is 100% the norm for live-service games." - If this is truly the norm, I would call it out as bad practice. Just because other people do it, does it mean you have to as well?

"You cannot effectively test what hundreds or thousands of people are going to do vs internal testing/tools." - This is absolutely false, have you ever heard of a VM? A single person could easily script out or automate several hundred VMs to do basic functions inside the game. Automation tools are so easily accessible these days I would be shocked if they are not being used in UO's development.

"I'm sure if companies developing standard software could put out an "alpha" version and have people excited to look at it for them, they would. "Yo homie, the new Quicken 2025 edition just dropped to Alpha, we gotta check that out ASAP!!!!" " - You're right, there's lots of people who do this. This is also something I wouldn't do. Similar to Tesla FSD, I wouldn't put my trust or something valuable into something that hasn't been properly tested yet.

"Actually, Steam already does this with "Early Access" games, that you have to pay full price for, for the "privilege" of playing a buggy game that is still in development, with no guarantee the full thing will actually be released." I never buy early access games, for the reasons stated above. I am not going to pay to have the "privilege" to test something for someone. Once again, just because someone else wants to do it, doesn't make it right.

"But guess what, other software has patches to fix bugs. I'm sure as someone in software for "20+ years" would realize that." - Yes... This is a difficult position. Of course software has bugs. They are generally delineated into severities. Nice to have, cosmetic, quality of life, problems, major problems with workarounds available, and major problems with no workarounds available. The bug that occurred caused a shutdown and small rollback for the server. This would likely fall into something that is viewed as "catastrophic, no work around available". Kyronix is likely incredibly aware of how impactful this was, and likely takes his work very seriously. When something gets by that requires that level of quick reaction and that big of an impact to their active customers... It sucks, it hurts. It feels personal.

This brings me to the conclusion, of which, you entirely missed the point. The feedback system *worked*. The players testing *worked*. The players, who have 0% ownership stake in the success of Broadsword and EA, helped to eliminate MOST of the problems identified with the publish prior to releasing on a live server. This is not their job. This is not their responsibility. This is not what they are PAYING to do. They are paying to play a game, not to test it and verify it works properly. The fact that some of them got a unique drop through means that probably shouldn't have been in..... My take is, honestly.... Let them keep it. Let it be their reward for continuing to beta test the patch. Or, if that isn't an option, find another way to reward those who actively participate and provide constructive feedback on the new publishes. This way, more people would be inclined to help. They obviously cannot afford to pay for it, otherwise there would be more than one developer. So they rely incredibly heavily on the community. At least set something up to make them feel their efforts are appreciated.

Anyhow, I haven't played the event yet @ Kyronix, but it sounds like it is going to be plenty of fun and incredibly enjoyable. Thanks for all your hard work on it, and, your humility to admit something went unexpectedly and your commitment to correct things appropriately. It takes a lot personally and professionally to do all of those things.

@ MinocMiner, perhaps there is some family history, past experiences, personality quirks, or other things that might have led you to personally attack me. I don't know, everyone goes through their own things at their own times, and some feel the need to lash out at others. That's unfortunate, and I wish you well.

LOL, don't think I ever triggered a boomer so hard before in my life. It's OK, sometimes the truth hurts. Great reply from someone who actually said "slavery with extra steps" in his previous post :D
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 792
    I’m just here to hit the like button on @MinocMiner ‘s posts and to say, Hey! What’s wrong with being a boomer?!
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    This is devolving but for reference about the drop rates on Origin:

I had an old gift character I trained up to 40 Margery etc.  joined a guild for the VVV items to get magery up to 75.

literally just casting fire field and blade spirits I walked away with about 50 hats in less than 2 hours.  

The reward rates are fine and actually like the dynamic of the void pool.  We’ve been hitting level 70-75.

Before the origin update I spent a good deal of time doing beacons and hunting pirate ships.  Personally I’d avoid hunting pirate ships based on the time and drop rate.  If you’re getting the new rewards from Bucs trader so the beacons and have people attack it for the extra mythical cargo which are 10k points each.

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    Pawain said:
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

• SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked

I like the mechanics. Some players are better than others at some of the encounters.  I would get 5 an hour maybe from T hunting or SoS.  Some can do them fast.  Especially SoS.  

I was not getting many drops before level 30 so I did not think to try putting an afk person there, much less be able to keep them alive and test that.  :D

Well, you need close to 600 for one of every item so what's that... 100+ hours of gameplay?  And that's if you're being "Better than others." Ridiculous.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

• SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked

Well, you need close to 600 for one of every item so what's that... 100+ hours of gameplay?  And that's if you're being "Better than others." Ridiculous.
    Nah based on the rate I was getting hats with a new character, with only 75 Magery and 40 Eval, it’d take 24 hours.  

Oreogl said:
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:
    firec said:
    Feigr said:

• SOS's - Worked
    • Pirating - Worked
    • Cargo Ships - Worked

Nah based on the rate I was getting hats with a new character, with only 75 Magery and 40 Eval, it’d take 24 hours.  

Nice, that's pretty good.
    Not sure how what I said got manipulated into something else, but the only argument I was making is that you can complain and not test.

Player Testing is a good thing, but it's not required for communicating your opinion.

IMO Player Testing is a gift more than "Slavery" whatever that means.

A lot of people enjoy it.  Isn't Larissa primarily a player on the Origin server? I remember when Origin dropped.  I tried to get a prime housing spot on it. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Who is Vic in the back of the British Castle stable ? Is that a NPC ?
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 914
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Who is Vic in the back of the British Castle stable ? Is that a NPC ?
    GO AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF
  • ScribblesScribbles Posts: 12
    Don’t forget to tracking and detect hidden to find Vic. 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    Pawain said:

It's Minoc and I get a pretty steady stream of Marks, err i mean customers.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,994Moderator
    @Pawain @Scribbles @Victim_Of_Siege and anyone else who feels so inclined

Thou Shalt Not Wind Up The Gullible

pretty please?
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 109

firec said:
    I've passed your post along and World of Warcraft is deleting their test server. Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy, everyone else too. They've all decided that it's much easier to set up hundreds and hundreds of virtual machines running artificially intelligent scripts that can simulate everything a player might do. So much easier than setting up a test server and asking people to report bugs.

Thousands of people and billions in capital and all put together they knew less about how to rest software than one random guy on the UO forums. Congratulations sir, you've changed the industry! Bravo!
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    Mariah said:
    @ Pawain @ Scribbles @ Victim_Of_Siege and anyone else who feels so inclined

Thou Shalt Not Wind Up The Gullible

pretty please?
    Yes ma’am. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• TheoTheo Posts: 174
    Void pool is about 15-20 hats per half hour of work.  No potion. Tamer or sampire.