Pirate hats event

psychopsycho Posts: 292
edited April 15 in General Discussions

So let me get this right, people are getting pirate hats just for staying in the dungeon, without hitting any mobs ?    This is exactely why the void pool should never have been a part of a pirate event theme in the first place.

And let me get this right, people are holding hundreds of non-shardbound pirate hats on Origin, that they can xfer anywhere because of no shardbound property ? 

And let me get this right, people have claimed rewards that are not shardbound, that they can xfer anywhere because of no shardbound property ?

Well, this is up for the Devs to comment, - or revert shard.

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,123Dev
    The void pool is closed on the first release shards while we address this.  The actual number of hats collected due to this is relatively small, as is the number of accounts that have claimed rewards.  Origin & Baja will be going through maintenance soon.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 292
    edited April 15

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have faith in the pirate event, and its fair rules and regulations.
    It will run over many months, but shard bound is shard bound.

• The_hand_of_godThe_hand_of_god Posts: 12
    edited April 15
    This is the reason they ask people to come to test. If you don't go to test then you don't have any reason to complain. But this wasn't this easy on test either from my experience so I don't know what changed between test and here.
    But I guess they will get it straight :)
  • HippoHippo Posts: 280
    On Baja - I saw no Beacons around Zento. Did attack and kill crew of 2 merchantmen and 2 pirates - total one hat.  Did 2 Dreads w 3 crew - 2 hats from crew and 5 named dread pirate hats. I was after a Beacon but Kyronix announce maintenance soon so I logged. Didn't bother with Void Pool, didn't think there would be enough players there. Sound like I should have logged onto Origin instead.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,117
    I sure as heck was not getting hats during the first 25 waves without killing stuff.  Last night I got 4 till we died at 18.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Hippo said:
    On Baja - I saw no Beacons around Zento. Did attack and kill crew of 2 merchantmen and 2 pirates - total one hat.  Did 2 Dreads w 3 crew - 2 hats from crew and 5 named dread pirate hats. I was after a Beacon but Kyronix announce maintenance soon so I logged. Didn't bother with Void Pool, didn't think there would be enough players there. Sound like I should have logged onto Origin instead.

I understand you are posting about testing. 

When the event is live, you and everyone else are invited to come to Lake Superior to get rewards there.

We do Void Pool, Scalis, Corgul a lot.  So, with rewards tied in, we will have enough players to get the Void Pool rockin every 15 minutes for a while.
  • The_hand_of_godThe_hand_of_god Posts: 12
    edited April 15
    Pawain said:
    Hippo said:

I understand you are posting about testing. 

When the event is live, you and everyone else are invited to come to Lake Superior to get rewards there.

We do Void Pool, Scalis, Corgul a lot.  So, with rewards tied in, we will have enough players to get the Void Pool rockin every 15 minutes for a while.

I will be taking you up on this offer as I woiuld like to get a few things on LS. Will be EPIC... I hope you can join us on Catskills if you need stuff as well.
    edited April 15
    Some play in AM.  In primetime we will be doing stuff and yelling in chat.  6pm to 11pm Central is our busy times. and we talk in chat.  There are also guilds that will help you if you want to stay.

A player said Sunday 3 pm central he will Net Toss.  We used to use Bucs but the Atlantic transplants moved us to Magencia...

Sesshomaru , Dollar, I am various Allens and other names.  If we say gate open for  +++++  hop in.  We will be getting hats.

There are quiet players that will be doing SoS and T maps.  So, ask in chat if you want help with those. See if they happen to be on. 

But, anyone come join us to get your LS Balron chests and have fun killing stuff.

The sea and land parts will be Fun.

We have fun getting rewards and Helping each other on LS.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 789
    psycho said:

Thank you for the fast reply.

..., but shard bound is shard bound.

I know it! And ain't it awful?!

For all the different systems involved it seems like things have gone fairly well, no? And things continue to get ironed out. Not gonna lie, wish I'd been active on Origin to snag non shard bound goodies.

Shard Bound = No Bueno
    :)

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,408
    How about NO shard bound items for this event ? keep it simple !!!
  • VmaxVmax Posts: 13
    I wondered why all of a sudden Origin looked like Atlantic this morning. What's the Pirate hat event? I don't live in these forums or play UO every day, how would a normal, semi-returned player even find out about this event?
    Since 10/2/97!
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 808
    We know from the first few weeks of the destard event that players/customers like a change up in the game mechanics :)
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    Vmax said:
    I wondered why all of a sudden Origin looked like Atlantic this morning. What's the Pirate hat event? I don't live in these forums or play UO every day, how would a normal, semi-returned player even find out about this event?
    https://www.uo-cah.com/pub-117/shrouded-sails
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,174
    Jepeth said:
    Vmax said:
    @Jepeth - were you all able to data mine anything from the patch that went in today (think it was today)?
    keven2002 said:
    Jepeth said:
    Vmax said:
    @ Jepeth - were you all able to data mine anything from the patch that went in today (think it was today)?
    No deco.... ?    :'(
  • creampiecreampie Posts: 82
    Skett said:
    How about NO shard bound items for this event ? keep it simple !!!

every last spring events turn in item weren t shard bound only reward are shard bound. this is a good way to go it should always be like this.
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    Did anyone check if EJ can earn hats during any of the activities? LOL
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    username said:
    Yes they get hats while afk in Luna.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,036
    Pawain said:
    username said:
    Yes they get hats while afk in Luna.
    Only while chanting McDougle backwards 
    70 shellfish 40 hats from casual hour of play (pirating and a couple scally) other than the over priced hat a perfect event start
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    Talking about the Void Pool, has anyone done it both with a Tamer and pet and a Warrior to see if there is a significant difference in the Pirate Hats received when using the one or the other ?

I am not sure whether it is true, but I heard in the past, during other Events, some players saying that Warriors, who knows why (perhaps because they are faster killers ?), had a higher chance to get drops as compared to Tamers using pets.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 104
    Everything but the Void Pool sounds like a waste of time as far as drop rates go.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 915
    popps said:
    Talking about the Void Pool, has anyone done it both with a Tamer and pet and a Warrior to see if there is a significant difference in the Pirate Hats received when using the one or the other ?

I am not sure whether it is true, but I heard in the past, during other Events, some players saying that Warriors, who knows why (perhaps because they are faster killers ?), had a higher chance to get drops as compared to Tamers using pets.
    You must have enough time to try it out Popps ?  Let the community know how you get on 
    Everything but the Void Pool sounds like a waste of time as far as drop rates go.
    The problem with most other activities to collect Pirate Hats, is that they have "dead" times like with the tracking and sailing until one finds a Beacon, Dread Pirate or Merchant Ship or with Treasure Hunting where one needs to find the dig spot and figh the Guardians/Spawn, or sailing times to get to the SOS location or to get to Charybdis location and go back and forth fishing until Charybdis spawns or to sail to Corgul island and fight the side spawn or get a Scalis to spawn which takes several tries, usually... not to mention the extended time it takes to kill the tougher Bosses like Charybdis, Scalis, Corgul.

The Void Pool has nothing of all this, just wait for the waves and kill, kill and kill some more and get Pirate Hats.

To my opinion, in order to make it really worth the trouble, the other collection methods other then the Void Pool perhaps should have been made more generous in the Pirate Hats which they drop. I would not be surprised if many players with an hour to play, would prefer the collection method for Pirate Hats which brings them the most and has hardly any "dead" times or does not take too long to get the kill awarding the Pirate Hats.

I also suspect that, as you said, everything but the Void Pool sounds like a waste of time as far as drop rates go which is unfortunate, to my opinion, because a lot of the other collection methods are fun gameplay... if only, they could have been made more generous in the Pirate drops which they yield.

Oh well....
    Why not pirate between waves 
    popps said:
    The problem with most other activities to collect Pirate Hats, is that they have "dead" times like with the tracking and sailing until one finds a Beacon, Dread Pirate or Merchant Ship or with Treasure Hunting where one needs to find the dig spot and figh the Guardians/Spawn, or sailing times to get to the SOS location or to get to Charybdis location and go back and forth fishing until Charybdis spawns or to sail to Corgul island and fight the side spawn or get a Scalis to spawn which takes several tries, usually... not to mention the extended time it takes to kill the tougher Bosses like Charybdis, Scalis, Corgul.

The Void Pool has nothing of all this, just wait for the waves and kill, kill and kill some more and get Pirate Hats.

To my opinion, in order to make it really worth the trouble, the other collection methods other then the Void Pool perhaps should have been made more generous in the Pirate Hats which they drop. I would not be surprised if many players with an hour to play, would prefer the collection method for Pirate Hats which brings them the most and has hardly any "dead" times or does not take too long to get the kill awarding the Pirate Hats.

I also suspect that, as you said, everything but the Void Pool sounds like a waste of time as far as drop rates go which is unfortunate, to my opinion, because a lot of the other collection methods are fun gameplay... if only, they could have been made more generous in the Pirate drops which they yield.

Oh well....
    Is this your conclusion after testing nothing?  Since you have not mentioned any drop amounts.

An hour on TC will prove how ridiculous your post is.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    popps said:

Oh well....
    Well, I guess that's the short-sighted view. I happen to enjoy pirating, and digging maps, and even for a change fishing mibs. You do the void pool and get hats, and nothing but hats. I'll peacefully do the other activities and get resources and maritime cargos from the boats, SoA, SoTs and Major to Legendary armor pieces, which may not be much good in themselves, but unravel into very useful relic fragments, not to mention the steady stream of maps in boxes to keep me going. By the time the event ends I might even have enough crabs and lobsters to do a few fishing quests without the need to fish for them.
    There's an awful lot more in boats, chests and mibs than just the hats, and there's plenty of time to get the hats slowly, I'm not looking to stock a department store, just equip my characters.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,174
    popps said:

FYI - Once the void pool waves conclude (however long you can hold them back), players do need to wait 15min for it to begin again. That combined with how many people there actually are doing the void pool could make for a varying amount of hats.

To my knowledge the void pool doesn't spawn more stuff based on how many people are there; on TC1 I didn't notice a difference in spawn when I was solo vs when there were 3 people there (maybe that wasn't enough people?). It's very likely there will be a "sweet spot" where the number of players compared to the spawn in the waves is great, but on both ends the drops will be limited due to not enough spawn to kill or too much spawn that you are being overrun. Depending on your shard, the void pool might actually be worse than pirating (or chest hunting).

I'm not 100% on this yet but my initial thoughts are that it will be extremely hard to purposefully maximize the hour a glorious potion is active (there will likely be more downtime than we usually have). I couldn't test anything with luck pots because the Dev team didn't provide us with any (I did ask for a clickie for them) and I don't currently have any on my Prod shard to xfer.

That said, the reward list is extremely light for this event (the luck helm is only for human/elves - issue of altering was brought up to Dev team but no response) so I have no plan on buying/using luck potions for this event.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    This is the reason they ask people to come to test. If you don't go to test then you don't have any reason to complain. But this wasn't this easy on test either from my experience so I don't know what changed between test and here.
    But I guess they will get it straight :)

People can complain if they don't test.  There's no requirement to test for a company.
    edited April 16
    keven2002 said:
    popps said:

FYI - Once the void pool waves conclude (however long you can hold them back), players do need to wait 15min for it to begin again. That combined with how many people there actually are doing the void pool could make for a varying amount of hats.

To my knowledge the void pool doesn't spawn more stuff based on how many people are there; on TC1 I didn't notice a difference in spawn when I was solo vs when there were 3 people there (maybe that wasn't enough people?). It's very likely there will be a "sweet spot" where the number of players compared to the spawn in the waves is great, but on both ends the drops will be limited due to not enough spawn to kill or too much spawn that you are being overrun. Depending on your shard, the void pool might actually be worse than pirating (or chest hunting).

I'm not 100% on this yet but my initial thoughts are that it will be extremely hard to purposefully maximize the hour a glorious potion is active (there will likely be more downtime than we usually have). I couldn't test anything with luck pots because the Dev team didn't provide us with any (I did ask for a clickie for them) and I don't currently have any on my Prod shard to xfer.

That said, the reward list is extremely light for this event (the luck helm is only for human/elves - issue of altering was brought up to Dev team but no response) so I have no plan on buying/using luck potions for this event.
    The Glorious Potion argument that you bring up is very on spot, I think.

It cost real money, and it lasts for 1 hour, that's it.

Collection Methods for Pirate Hats which have dead times, be them sailing to find a Beacon, Dread Pirates, Merchant Ships, or looking for a spot to dig the chest up or the location to fish up an SOS or to get them to spawn and fight Corgul, Charybdis, Scalis all look like bummers to me to spend real money on a 1 hour lasting Glorious Potion and then see it gone with a lot of time gone by not getting Pirate Hats but going through the "dead" times that such collection methods inevitably have.

The Void Pool, other then the 15 minutes downtime, is much more faster paced and if one uses the Glorious Potion from the lower waves, there is plenty time to stay within the 1 hour timer of the potion.

What I am trying to say is, that while the Void Pool looks to me to couple well with the Glorious Potion, the same I cannot say about the other collection methods for Pirate Hats,because of their "dead" times....