Is Mysticism a good or bad idea as a Magical Ability on a pet ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,955
edited April 10 in General Discussions
A question to the experience Tamers out there.

I noticed that there are quite a lot of Pets which can be trainined in Mysticism as a Magical ability.

Has anyone have found issues with Mysticism in pets ? Is it a good idea for training as a Magical Ability in a pet (with what special abilities, moves or AOEs going well along with it then ?).

And if Mysticism is a good Magical Ability for Pets, is any among the pets that can be trained in it which does better using this particular Magical Ability ?

I imagine that several of the Mysticism spells are not used by a Pet, like Enchant Weapon, Stone Form, Rising Colossus, Nether Cyclone, Eagle Strike, not sure about Spell Trigger and Healing Stone, so, in the end, the spells left seem to be just a handful...

Bottom line is, is it worth it to train a Pet in Mysticism as a Magical Ability ?

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    Go to test and train one up and let us know what your thoughts are. The pet training and Bonding gates are still there so you'll not have to worry about that aspect of it. My thoughts are this, each Pet and Ability has a niche, you just have to play around with them to find it.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 914
    of course Popps wont do that, that takes effort, he wants others to do the work so he can just copy
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    edited April 10
    I assume that many UO players read the UO official Forums, also new or returning players who might not have an extended knowledge about Taming in UO and, perhaps, they could find useful informations about using Mysticism in Pets as a Magical Ability if more experienced Tamers were to share their experience about it.

I am not an experienced Tamer in UO, although I like the skill very much and I would not want to give wrong or misleading informations to other UO players about things which I do not know well in the game because my knowledge about Taming in UO is limited.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    popps said:
    I assume that many UO players read the UO official Forums, also new or returning players who might not have an extended knowledge about Taming in UO and, perhaps, they could find useful informations about using Mysticism in Pets as a Magical Ability if more experienced Tamers were to share their experience about it.

I am not an experienced Tamer in UO, although I like the skill very much and I would not want to give wrong or misleading informations to other UO players about things which I do not know well in the game because my knowledge about Taming in UO is limited.
    LOL This is priceless popps trying to use other players as to the reason he is asking this.  If other players want this info I am sure they will ask for themselves and do not need you using them as a means to ask yet another question you refuse to go to TC to at least get some info on.
    edited April 10
    popps said:

So you aren't going to do this and help the other players? C'mon Popps, the only wrong information you could give is something you made up . . .

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,120
    I think Popps is a famous hermit on his shard who lives in a cave but never leaves it.  Players come ask him about their future so he just wants a bunch of random answers so he can give his sage advice to others.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    I think Popps is a famous hermit on his shard who lives in a cave but never leaves it.  Players come ask him about their future so he just wants a bunch of random answers so he can give his sage advice to others.
    200wgif cid6c09b952lnhtszgaw99as30yk8u7i0s6p3ic6126cfwryiitepv1_gifs_searchrid200w gifctg

edited April 10
    the players rep speaks again ,but what he does not seem to get through his head is he is NOT the voice of the players

3rd person questions that he wants answers to but know everyone is fed up with his dumb questions so tries to play it off for others

Your title of this post does not suggest it is for the good of your imaginary friends, but 100% info YOU want

No-one asked you Popps. So go out and train this yourself and let us know how you get on

In other words GET OFF YOUR ARSE and stop trying to get others to do all the work for you

I assume you want others to waste powerscolls so you can get the winning combination?

Cant wait to hear about your failed attempts to solo champs............
    Also,   on the rare occasion your posts do get information you mass-debate over it, argue that it is not correct (in your world) the post gets locked and falls away

So where does all this good information go that you think you glean from all your novel posts?

Like I said above get off your arse, and go train mystic on your pet.
    Finally,  why are you messing about with a dumb pet idea when you should be out there getting pirate hats on test with the limited time you are supposed to have (clearly not an issue with your posts here)

You are supposed to be getting information for the players so we know whats the best way to get pirate hats drops when it goes live

Or did you forget all about this because the testers are not spoon feeding you?

Clearly not a peoples champion at all

So, sit back and wait for players to do all the work as usual
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
     :D 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,992Moderator
    Before this gets any more toxic
    The only pet I would train with mysticsm is a skree, because it has it already and doesn't need to lose magery to train it.
    Mariah said:
    The only pet I would train with mysticsm is a skree, because it has it already and doesn't need to lose magery to train it.
    Thank you for contributing to the topic.

Is the Skree the only one pet that comes with Mysticism ?

Because, when I look at the UO CAH web site doing a search for all pets that can be trained in Mysticism, I get roughly like about 40 pets that can be trained in Mysticism as a Magical Ability.

Also, if you already have a Skree with Mysticism, are you happy with using a Pet using Mysticism as a Magical Ability or do you find downsides for using this Magical Ability rather then some other, in a pet ?

Thank you.
    popps said:
    Mariah said:

Because, when I look at the UO CAH web site doing a search for all pets that can be trained in Mysticism, I get roughly like about 40 pets that can be trained in Mysticism as a Magical Ability.

Also, if you already have a Skree with Mysticism, are you happy with using a Pet using Mysticism as a Magical Ability or do you find downsides for using this Magical Ability rather then some other, in a pet ?

Thank you.
    You asked for it Mariah,  you made that fatal error,  you answered him so he can then fire a badillion questions back at you!
    also, we all know he will not train the pet so its all hypothetical meaning WAISTING EVERYONE'S TIME
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    edited April 11
    popps said:
    Mariah said:

Thank you.
    The Skree is the only one that comes with innate mysticism. As you said, many others can be trained up with mysticism.

Most people build pets for specific purposes. Chiv/AI for high damage, RC/AP for tanking and party debuffs, etc. Mysticism is pretty general. You can read about what effect each mysticism spell does on its page on uo-cah. But in general, mysticism's extra damage and/or aoe abilities are weak compared to other pets and their possible builds. 

The final answer you're looking for is that Skree's and other pets with mysticism are experiments and hobby-builds which are trained just to be different than what else most people do. They do not offer any specific advantage.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,992Moderator
    To put mysticism on any other pet you will disable magery, but a skree has both, and so you can scroll both. You will seldom find a mystic character with only that skill, and likewise you would not want a pet with only that.
    Jepeth said:
    popps said:
    Mariah said:

Thank you.
    The Skree is the only one that comes with innate mysticism. As you said, many others can be trained up with mysticism.

Most people build pets for specific purposes. Chiv/AI for high damage, RC/AP for tanking and party debuffs, etc. Mysticism is pretty general. You can read about what effect each mysticism spell does on its page on uo-cah. But in general, mysticism's extra damage and/or aoe abilities are weak compared to other pets and their possible builds. 

The final answer you're looking for is that Skree's and other pets with mysticism are experiments and hobby-builds which are trained just to be different than what else most people do. They do not offer any specific advantage.
    Hmmm... so, I guess, the answer to this thread topic is that, using a pet with Mysticism on it as a Magical ability, whether innate (skree) or not, seems not to be a good idea as these pets with Mysticism, I understand, are not that much of a good help as compared to other pets and more used as experiments and hobby-builds as you said.
    are you going to train one then? 
    edited April 11
    Some disposable pet types that can get all the good magics.  @popps taming revamp has been out 5 years.  Why don't you have multiple pets that can do each useful magic.

Cu Sidhe
    Lesser Hiryu
    Triton 
    Reptalon 
    Equines and Kirin
    Ram
    PP Bake Kitsune 

Biting My Tongue GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY

Pawain said:
    Some disposable pet types that can get all the good magics.  @ popps taming revamp has been out 5 years.  Why don't you have multiple pets that can do each useful magic.

Cu Sidhe
    Lesser Hiryu
    Triton 
    Reptalon 
    Equines and Kirin
    Ram
    PP Bake Kitsune 

@Pawain

Out of curiosity, being an experienced Tamer in UO, how would you pair these 7 pets with each available Magical Ability ?

I will start with CU Sidhe, what about the others ? 

Cu Sidhe                   Chivalry (most CUs are Chivalry/AI)
    Lesser Hiryu
    Triton 
    Reptalon 
    Equines and Kirin      Magery ?
    Ram
    PP Bake Kitsune 
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Some disposable pet types that can get all the good magics.  @ popps taming revamp has been out 5 years.  Why don't you have multiple pets that can do each useful magic.

Cu Sidhe
    Lesser Hiryu
    Triton 
    Reptalon 
    Equines and Kirin
    Ram
    PP Bake Kitsune 

@ Pawain

Out of curiosity, being an experienced Tamer in UO, how would you pair these 7 pets with each available Magical Ability ?

I will start with CU Sidhe, what about the others ? 

Cu Sidhe                   Chivalry (most CUs are Chivalry/AI)
    Lesser Hiryu
    Triton 
    Reptalon 
    Equines and Kirin      Magery ?
    Ram
    PP Bake Kitsune 
    How's it going with your testing of Mysticism popps? you should be well into your journey of helping the other players of UO to know how it works and benefits associiated with it. 

The reason all the pets are AI/Chiv is because it does the most single target damage.

Each of my main tamers has a Lesser or Hiryu that does each of the good magics.  One tamer has Cus with all the magics.  

Every pet type I see, I see how many HP it would have with AI/Chiv.

Some pet types won't have a lot of HPs, so you do not see those around often.  But you can put it on Equines and Kirin if you sacrifice some things.

There are players with mystic fire steeds.

The base pets builds are all the same, when you have the Stats set up to make the pet do maximum damage it will kill stuff.  Add AI it will kill stuff faster.  Add a Magic it will kill stuff faster.

The difference between the commonly used pets and the others is what HP they can get and if they have healing.  Players opt for pets that can get decent HP when done.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,037
    Pawain said:
    The reason all the pets are AI/Chiv is because it does the most single target damage.

Each of my main tamers has a Lesser or Hiryu that does each of the good magics.  One tamer has Cus with all the magics.  

Every pet type I see, I see how many HP it would have with AI/Chiv.

Some pet types won't have a lot of HPs, so you do not see those around often.  But you can put it on Equines and Kirin if you sacrifice some things.

There are players with mystic fire steeds.

The base pets builds are all the same, when you have the Stats set up to make the pet do maximum damage it will kill stuff.  Add AI it will kill stuff faster.  Add a Magic it will kill stuff faster.

The difference between the commonly used pets and the others is what HP they can get and if they have healing.  Players opt for pets that can get decent HP when done.
    I understand the reason why but feel it shouldn't be each build should have the potential for the same max damage as to encourage variety 
    Ya I think we all wish each magic would yield similar damage over time.

But if you are making a melee fighter you add Chivalry to use those spells that do more damage.

They actually nerfed Chiv pets from the start.  Consecrate lasts 1 hit.  EoO rarely stays on more than 3 seconds. 

If pet spells did more damage, maybe that would help.  But pets go straight to melee. If they reverted the ai so casting pets would stand back, maybe they would be more efficient.  But the tamer would have to tank.
    Pawain said:
    Ya I think we all wish each magic would yield similar damage over time.

But if you are making a melee fighter you add Chivalry to use those spells that do more damage.

They actually nerfed Chiv pets from the start.  Consecrate lasts 1 hit.  EoO rarely stays on more than 3 seconds. 

If pet spells did more damage, maybe that would help.  But pets go straight to melee. If they reverted the ai so casting pets would stand back, maybe they would be more efficient.  But the tamer would have to tank.
    You can sometimes see a Nightmare display remnants of the old AI. they will walkaway from the target and cast a few spells but then they'll teleport to the target and melee again. 

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 790
    :D I'm crying laughin at Siege's gif. Mariah's post makes me almost want to use a tamer then bug Pawain to tell me how to train a skree. I do love the look of those compact little critters.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,213
    Mariah said:

Highly disagree here. My disco tamer has a mystic-ai cu that is almost unstoppable.