magery vs magery mastery

whats the difference as far as pets go between magery and magery mastery? can a pet with just magery still teleport?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,118
    Only magery mastery pets teleport.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,854
    Pawain said:
    And always when it's the worst possible time to.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    ok besides teleporting, what is the difference, tryin to decide if spending 1500 points for magery master vs 200 or what ever it is for magery is worth it.
    Whitewolf said:
    ok besides teleporting, what is the difference, tryin to decide if spending 1500 points for magery master vs 200 or what ever it is for magery is worth it.
    What pet type?  The only pets that can get just magery, already have it. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,036
    For pirating only you want magery mastery my mare/kirin/bane all teleport to enemy ships leaving me untargeted 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    Pawain said:
    Whitewolf said:
    I think @Whitewolf is asking is Magery Mastery worth the 1500 points and is it worth putting Magery on a pet and hen adding Mastery
    Pawain said:
    Whitewolf said:
    I think @ Whitewolf is asking is Magery Mastery worth the 1500 points and is it worth putting Magery on a pet and hen adding Mastery

There are many pet types that come with Magery for free.  There are 0 pet types that you can add Magery to.  The only thing we can add is magery mastery.  

I can not think of any pet type that I would put 1501 points on to activate Magery Mastery.

Current spawning 2 slot Nightmare has magery and for 1 point it can be changed to Magery Mastery.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    lol sorry for not clarifying my question i guess, will they cast the same spells? like flamestrike, mindbast...etc? will their spells do more damage with mage mastery vs reg magery.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 528
    edited April 3
    Pawain said:

Necromagery pets will Teleport too. My Necromagery+Poison Breath Dread Spider LOVES to Teleport to enemies. Normal Magery pets will also cast Teleport when told to "Come" when they can't pathfind to you normally, but it will fail (they'll cast the spell, but stay in the same spot).

Whitewolf said:
    lol sorry for not clarifying my question i guess, will they cast the same spells? like flamestrike, mindbast...etc? will their spells do more damage with mage mastery vs reg magery.

Magery Mastery pets have additional access to Death Ray, Mind Blast, Mana Vampire, Magic Reflection, Arch Cure, and combat Teleport, which normal Magery pets don't. However, several of their spells are either bugged, or sub-optimal. The hardest hitting spell a MM pet has, is Mind Blast, especially from a Serpentine Dragon (1,000+ INT). I've seen a MM Serpentine Dragon's Mind Blast hit a GD for 150+, and that was without the GD being discorded.

Death Ray is sub-optimal because A) it's a DPS loss due to the pet no longer melee swinging during the channel, and B ) the Death Ray channel get's interrupted when the pet takes any damage, therefore wasting the Mana used to initiate the Death Ray (MM pets will oftentimes initiate Death Ray while in melee range, just to immediately be hit and interrupted).
    MM pets will cast Mana Vampire when low on Mana, but oftentimes the foe's Resist skill is too high for the pet to steal any Mana back (even with 120 Eval, the victim must have lower than 80 Resist skill for Mana Vampire to be effective), so Mana Vampire becomes a waste of 40 Mana then.
    MM pets will cast Bless on their opponent rather than themself. When poisoned, MM pets will also cast Arch Cure on their opponent, which will cure both themself and their opponent (if the opponent is poisoned as well).