The new publish (non-pvp) on TC1?

keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
edited March 5 in General Discussions
Hoping @Kyronix can give us an idea when we can begin testing the pirate content (and vet rewards) will hit TC1. Also hoping we can use this thread for the questions / feedback on all things related to the new publish (non-pvp related) since it seems like there are several various ones out there now and questions/comments are scattered between them.

Up to this point I've expressed some concern on the mechanics of how sailing would work the the upcoming event about it being tricky and could potentially lead to a poor experience if there aren't some land options available. There was one other thing I thought about. 

How will the scuttled pirate/trade ships (and beacons) decay if/when the seas are jam packed with players sailing?

I'm not 100% sure how the logic is written but in my experience, currently, a scuttled ship will remain on screen until I leave the screen. I think it works the same when someone else scuttles the ship and I'm on screen (IIRC). Makes sense right now but I can see how a ship decays being an issue depending how it works because if the seas are busy (as I expect they will be) and I leave the screen but others are entering the screen will we have a bunch of scuttled ships (which also ping on ship tracking to lure others) lingering around? This might be similar for beacons (but likely not as bad) because when I destroy a beacon, I'm not able to completely sail over that area until I leave the screen (it seems like there is something under the water blocking me). I'm not sure if that would work similar if someone else remained on screen or if that is more of a corpse decay thing.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I believe, from reading the newsletter, that there will be land based combat in addition to treasure maps, beacons, ship fighting and mib fishing. I do wonder why there is so much consternation over the sea-based combat. Why do you believe it will be so much worse than the Rising Tide event that first introduced us to beacons?
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    Mariah said:
    I believe, from reading the newsletter, that there will be land based combat in addition to treasure maps, beacons, ship fighting and mib fishing. I do wonder why there is so much consternation over the sea-based combat. Why do you believe it will be so much worse than the Rising Tide event that first introduced us to beacons?
    Are the pirate brawls land or water?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited March 5
    Mariah said:
    I do wonder why there is so much consternation over the sea-based combat. Why do you believe it will be so much worse than the Rising Tide event that first introduced us to beacons?
    I don't want to get too far off the original topic but to answer your question, mainly because game play has evolved (or devolved depending on your view on scripting) since Rising Tide over 5ish years ago. If you can remember back to some of the first ToT type events (Kotl / Khuldan / etc) there weren't nearly the number of bots/scripters running around like we saw in the past few events. 

I know people don't like to talk about it but it's something that should be considered when drawing up an event in a new place (ie the sea). Perfect example is the first egg event (heavily botted/scripted) and how many complaints there were because botting wasn't really considered at that time compared to the revised egg event last year (much better). The downside was non-scripters had to wait for the second year for the improved egg gathering system.Hoping that calling these things out in advance will provide a better experience for people who want to enjoy playing the event versus those that take the automated route.
    I don't know, time will tell I guess, but I'm hopeful they'll be on land.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:
    I do wonder why there is so much consternation over the sea-based combat. Why do you believe it will be so much worse than the Rising Tide event that first introduced us to beacons?
    I don't want to get too far off the original topic but to answer your question, mainly because game play has evolved (or devolved depending on your view on scripting) since Rising Tide over 5ish years ago. If you can remember back to some of the first ToT type events (Kotl / Khuldan / etc) there weren't nearly the number of bots/scripters running around like we saw in the past few events. 

I know people don't like to talk about it but it's something that should be considered when drawing up an event in a new place (ie the sea). Perfect example is the first egg event (heavily botted/scripted) and how many complaints there were because botting wasn't really considered at that time compared to the revised egg event last year (much better). The downside was non-scripters had to wait for the second year for the improved egg gathering system.Hoping that calling these things out in advance will provide a better experience for people who want to enjoy playing the event versus those that take the automated route.

I heard scripters are scared of the water and will not go near it. :)
    Cookie said:

I heard scripters are scared of the water and will not go near it. :)

Don't want this thread to go too far off topic since I know scripting could be it's own thread but while I know you are being sarcastic I think some people might actually believe you lol. 

I think in reality "automation" would be even easier sailing because all you need is a single toon to pilot a ship and that transports everyone so even a bad scripter could setup something that just auto attacks every hostile on the screen if they are basically taking individual char movement out of it.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 5
    Mariah said:

I hope this is the case, and they will remember to distribute that land based combat to different sub-servers. If that is the case, then all tutto bene. If most of the rewards come from sea fighting then f**k this. 

Last few weeks of the last event was miserable. The mobs in the ice area clearly dropped better loot than the rest since their fame/hp ratio was the highest. So we ended up with bunch of players, all packed into a single subserver, all trying to get enough drops so they could buy what they want before the event is over.

If this event becomes as miserable as the last few weeks of the last event, then I will create 1000 EJ accounts, place a ship in the sea, then log out just to spite people. We can login from a single EJ account at a time. But, nothing is stopping you from creating an EJ accounts, placing a ship in the event area, then logging out. Rinse and repeat this 1000 times and you will end the event on your own from a single IP address. 

P.S.: I am looking forward to the sea fighting as I think this will be the most fun part of the event. I just hope that the devs have few backup plans in case all goes south unexpectedly with the sea part of the event.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    edited March 5
    keven2002 said:
    Hoping @ Kyronix can give us an idea when we can begin testing the pirate content (and vet rewards) will hit TC1. Also hoping we can use this thread for the questions / feedback on all things related to the new publish (non-pvp related) since it seems like there are several various ones out there now and questions/comments are scattered between them.

Up to this point I've expressed some concern on the mechanics of how sailing would work the the upcoming event about it being tricky and could potentially lead to a poor experience if there aren't some land options available. There was one other thing I thought about. 

How will the scuttled pirate/trade ships (and beacons) decay if/when the seas are jam packed with players sailing?

I'm not 100% sure how the logic is written but in my experience, currently, a scuttled ship will remain on screen until I leave the screen. I think it works the same when someone else scuttles the ship and I'm on screen (IIRC). Makes sense right now but I can see how a ship decays being an issue depending how it works because if the seas are busy (as I expect they will be) and I leave the screen but others are entering the screen will we have a bunch of scuttled ships (which also ping on ship tracking to lure others) lingering around? This might be similar for beacons (but likely not as bad) because when I destroy a beacon, I'm not able to completely sail over that area until I leave the screen (it seems like there is something under the water blocking me). I'm not sure if that would work similar if someone else remained on screen or if that is more of a corpse decay thing.
    We did this event when beacons came out.  Did you have problems then?  We did it again when new items were added to the black market, did you have trouble then?

They said they can't increase the spawn already. 

So you think players are going to scuttle a ship and just stay there?

From what I experience a new thing spawns seconds after something dies. You've never had a beacon pop up next to you while looting a ship?

Scuttled ships are not on my tracking arrows.

You can go in the middle of a sunk beacon a little ways to loot the orcs.  After the orcs decay you can pass thru.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NyreNyre Posts: 40
    shootgun said:
    Mariah said:

I hope this is the case, and they will remember to distribute that land based combat to different sub-servers. If that is the case, then all tutto bene. If most of the rewards come from sea fighting then f**k this. 

Last few weeks of the last event was miserable. The mobs in the ice area clearly dropped better loot than the rest since their fame/hp ratio was the highest. So we ended up with bunch of players, all packed into a single subserver, all trying to get enough drops so they could buy what they want before the event is over.

If this event becomes as miserable as the last few weeks of the last event, then I will create 1000 EJ accounts, place a ship in the sea, then log out just to spite people. We can login from a single EJ account at a time. But, nothing is stopping you from creating an EJ accounts, placing a ship in the event area, then logging out. Rinse and repeat this 1000 times and you will end the event on your own from a single IP address. 

P.S.: I am looking forward to the sea fighting as I think this will be the most fun part of the event. I just hope that the devs have few backup plans in case all goes south unexpectedly with the sea part of the event

I believe EJ accounts cant place boats because they have Cargo Holds.   Correct me if Im wrong
    Correct. They can board them, if the account has high seas, but they can't place them.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    When there is a will there is a way... I will find a way to block that event for everyone :p
    Pawain said:
    We did this event when beacons came out.  Did you have problems then?  We did it again when new items were added to the black market, did you have trouble then?

They said they can't increase the spawn already. 

So you think players are going to scuttle a ship and just stay there?

From what I experience a new thing spawns seconds after something dies. You've never had a beacon pop up next to you while looting a ship?

Scuttled ships are not on my tracking arrows.

You can go in the middle of a sunk beacon a little ways to loot the orcs.  After the orcs decay you can pass thru.

Yes I did have problems when the beacons first came out (at times) when things were busy and there were multiple ships hitting beacons. I actually remember missing several beacons because I couldn't get in position fast enough (and other people complaining about others "stealing" their beacon),  thanks for asking such a pointless question. Again, I play on ATL which is the most populated shard by far. You might not have had issues on your shard with only a fraction of the population, good for you but just because you didn't have issues doesn't mean others didn't. 

Rising Tides also was NOT a treasures event so you are comparing apples and oranges given Rising Tide was a "forever" event with permanent rewards that were released in phases (ie triton didn't drop right away and hooks shield until much later) and 90% of the items were just decoration/reskinned items unlike ToT which is a limited event with items that could be best in slot.

On the scuttled ships piece there will absolutely be times whwn people are going to scuttle a ship and loot it, then get up and go AFK. I do it all the time. For the record, I never said this is some show stopping issue. I merely asked about how ships will decay if there are people frequently hitting the screen when there is a boat scuttled. Unlike you, I don't speak matter of factly as if I know everything (when you clearly don't) so I'm trying to understand how something works by asking questions. It might not be a big deal at all if the Devs have thought about it already but maybe it will be an issue and wouldn't be thought about unless someone brings it up.

The rest of your troll post is all nonsense and doesn't warrant a response because at no point did I say anything about increasing the spawn rate (that's done automatically I believe as more people are sailing) or there being an issue with a new boat/beacon spawning when one is destroyed. Also I'd be happy to have you hop on ATL shard and prove you wrong on the other items because you obviously don't test things very well (I hope you aren't a NL tester). 

It's funny (and sad) to me that you constantly write posts without adding any actual substance. Instead you want to be the ultimate contrarian that has to try to debunk everything people write instead of being constructive and helping move along the discussion. According to you, UO has never had any issues or bugs and everything is great and there is plenty to do that never gets old with the best items ever and nothing needs to be added or updated... unless the Dev team wants to and if that's the case then you want some sort of unrealsitic item but will accept whatever the Devs decide to give us and tell everyone it's the greatest. It's clownery at it's best.
    So it looks like we will not get to test anything before Easter. I was hoping to have things tested before to make way for the world wide release afterwards. 

@Kyronix - Can we get some sort of timeline on when we will be able to fully test Pub 117 on TC1 and a rough idea of when you all hope for it to go live?
    keven2002 said:
    So it looks like we will not get to test anything before Easter. I was hoping to have things tested before to make way for the world wide release afterwards. 

@ Kyronix - Can we get some sort of timeline on when we will be able to fully test Pub 117 on TC1 and a rough idea of when you all hope for it to go live?
    Last year announcement was on 3/31, I’m guessing it’ll be then.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    edited March 27
    That would be on a Sunday not going to happen.

I like this quote and it fits just about everything  ;)

"Because UO is consistently inconsistent"

Skett said:
    That would be on a Sunday not going to happen.

I like this quote and it fits just about everything  ;)

"Because UO is consistently inconsistent"

Good call, I was thinking it was Monday for some reason.  So, probably April 1st.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Heaven forbid the super busy developers communicate 
    Grimbeard said:
    They did. They said after Easter.  Write that and NL is not ready yet on a sticky note and put it on your monitor.  You have a short memory.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    They did. They said after Easter.  Write that and NL is not ready yet on a sticky note and put it on your monitor.  You have a short memory.
    Go check the transcript from the Feb 26th M&G; someone asked when would pub 117 be in production and the answer was "after Easter". This thread is about asking for when it will be on TC1.

Go wave your pom poms on another thread please.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Your willingness to accept second rate programming and vague answers is well documented however myself and apparently many other posters would like actual information 
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    many?????
    Many
    Won't be out till after Easter, is an actual answer whether you like it or not.  And the other many.  5 I think will have to wait possibly 2 whole weeks.  Better refill Zanex for those that need them.
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Your willingness to accept second rate programming and vague answers is well documented however myself and apparently many other posters would like actual information 

• usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited March 28
    VERY unpopular opinion I'm sure BUT I would like to see a few underlying/long term issues with UO solved before this goes live. Maybe take a few weeks of time to fix the same stuff I've been bitching about for a while now.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Your ideas are also unpopular and mostly exaggerated.  That's why they don't change the game for them.
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited March 28
    Pawain said:
    Your ideas are also unpopular and mostly exaggerated.  That's why they don't change the game for them.
    Just a few  ;)

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9530/players-with-character-names-that-exceed-16-letters/p1

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10619/stop-allowing-ejs-being-able-to-earn-tot-drops#latest
    (insert uo.com link to endless journeys not being able to participate in Feudal Lands and beyond)

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/13726/can-we-please-get-a-skill-tool-that-can-be-worn-for-carpentry-bowcraft-and-tinkering#latest

(not in yet)

Clearly listening to some of what I have to say, who's exaggerating now?
    edited by Mariah

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    edited March 28
    Dude, they are not adding 120 scrolls to other skills, She said NO.

Lord Xen’Rin of Kern says: can you guys please add +20 scrolls to carpentry, tinkering, and fletching?

Lord Xen’Rin of Kern says: As well as +60 items for them as well? Is this possible?

Lord Xen’Rin of Kern says: Failing to repair items, and 60% non-exception rate when filling bods is too much IMHO.

Mesanna says: We will not be doing that

edited by Mariah

edited March 28
    Personal attacks by multiple posters have been removed and 2 posts have been edited to remove such. Please don't persist in this type of posting.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,122Dev
    We are working the final portions of 117 through QA and expect to be moving to TC1 in the coming days. 

I'm not going to address specific questions until it hits TC.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    :)