Bait update

2»

Comments

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    They should make it to where you can craft bait for specific fish, from messes of small fish. Give those damn things a real use.

They should make it to where you can craft bait for specific fish, from messes of small fish. Give those damn things a real use.
    Oooh, that would be cool.

Or have Cooking use the "messes" in fish pies. The fish pie buff could be the same as the basic "mess", but the duration increased to like 8 min (or 10 Stamina every 10 seconds for 60s). Something along those lines.

Either way, giving the "messes" additional purpose would be nice.

These are great ideas.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Grimbeard said:
    ...I disagree with the assumption that all fish have an equal chance at being caught 

I don't know Grim. I've let the macro run a bit (19.25 hrs) for the past couple days and this is what I've got for shore fish:

Doesn't look to me like any rarity among Shallow Water fish.

I'll post the distribution one last time when I have 1k minimum of each fish. At this point though, I'm pretty sure the catch distribution for Shallow Water is even.
    Totally possible it's an perception thing ! 
    Maybe it's the mongers I have zero cutthroat Trout so it always ask for them I have 976 orc bass so it seldom ask for them of course I think most people keep all their fish deeded in bank rather than hold?
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Grimbeard said:
    Maybe it's the mongers I have zero cutthroat Trout so it always ask for them I have 976 orc bass so it seldom ask for them of course I think most people keep all their fish deeded in bank rather than hold?
    I keep mine in a chest at the house. works better on Siege and I kept that going on any Prodo shard I played
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    So, because I said I would, here is the final distribution update:

If some type of rarity exists, for Shallow Water fish anyway, it's probably coming from the Monger quests.

This was all done with the same character:
    Human
    Male
    120.0 Fishing
    Tokuno Ship 
    Captain Blackheart's Fishing Pole

If anyone wants to vary any of those and test again, knock yourself out.

--
    As a note, UO's RNG is streaky as hell.

For a while, Pumpkinseed sunfish were almost 100 behind. Then I had to clean out the hold and start a new session. After a couple hours of the new session, I had 70+ Pumpkinseed sunfish and about 25 of everything else. Nothing else was even over 30.

Also, Pike varied from being the fewest to the most, by 50 or 60 fish, but you can see where Pike ended up. The last couple of sessions, the Pike were just not biting.

Good luck all!
    -Arroth
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    Just going to ignore the fact that you said you could do the quest in two hours and I said "post proof" and you never did.

Also ignoring that the quests are needed to get the 120 scroll without buying it, but all your experiences are from a perspective of one already with 120 skill.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    Feigr said:
    Just going to ignore the fact that you said you could do the quest in two hours and I said "post proof" and you never did.

Also ignoring that the quests are needed to get the 120 scroll without buying it, but all your experiences are from a perspective of one already with 120 skill.
    None of those fish require 120 skill.

He has 1000 of each fish in less than a week. He can do the other fish types next.

Then he could do a whole bunch of quests by just filling orders and sailing.  IMO if you are stuck on 20 of a certain fish, you are not working with a good perspective.  I have hundreds of many fish and have never tried getting them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited March 28
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:

He has 1000 of each fish in less than a week. He can do the other fish types next.

Then he could do a whole bunch of quests by just filling orders and sailing.  IMO if you are stuck on 20 of a certain fish, you are not working with a good perspective.  I have hundreds of many fish and have never tried getting them.

I agree, but at 92 skill I'm not getting those results.  If you think you can do it in two hours, you're welcome to post that proof for them.  I'm not even trying to be mad about it.  Teach me your ways Obi-Juan.

I'm not stuck on 20 fish.  I'm stuck on 10 Shovel-nosed Lobster and 10 Blue Crab.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:

I agree, but at 92 skill I'm not getting those results.  If you think you can do it in two hours, you're welcome to post that proof for them.  I'm not even trying to be mad about it.  Teach me your ways Obi-Juan.

I'm not stuck on 20 fish.  I'm stuck on 10 Shovel-nosed Lobster and 10 Blue Crab.
    It sounds like the Event will begin next week. Part of it is fishing.  Copy your Captain to Test Center for the preview.

You can build a collection of fishies while collecting Hats.  

I love that spreadsheet. Fish 37 hours at a legendary fisherman rate and you can get 1000 of each fish.  

My favorite Legendary Fisherwoman is Gabby. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    So still no concrete proof of any of this...
    I just want useful bait I do still find it odd that the monger ask for the fish or lobster I have 0 of vs the one I have 100s of 
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    edited March 29
    Okay, lets look at this another way as well. Lets say for the sake of argument that all the different classes of fish have the same chance of being fished up equally give or take 10% depending on which way the fish swim in your world. That would mean that you have equal stock of all fish within each category. Before I started doing the fish monger quests I worked at stocking the fish and shellfish so I wouldn't have to do what I am ending up having to do, trap. 
    So after doing 100's of fish monger quests it became apparent that the quests seemed to favor certain crustaceans and shallow water fish. I know this because my stock levels show this.
    Here's my current stock of crabs:
    149 Apple
    211 Blue
    422 Dungeoness
    247 King
    3 Rock
    311 Snow
    Please note that for the past approx.  month I've had to trap regularly to get Rock crabs to fulfill orders. So adding all the new fished up crabs, subtracting out all the crabs used to fill orders still leaves me with no stock of rock while all the other crabs have increased for the most part. The rocks have been in greater demand.

So maybe it's me and my normal lousy RNG when not getting equal amounts fishing up stuff. But I'm also getting hit with an abundance of orders calling for Rock Crab. It can't be just me.  Having to stop doing quests so I can get 20 more crab which can take an evening, do the run, then 2 orders later get another quest for 20 Rock crab, on and on is difficult and makes me cranky.

What might be helpful is to be able to turn in so many plain crabs or lobsters to get crabs or lobsters of one's choice. This, in my opinion would make those gazillion unnamed crabs useful for something other than Library turn ins.
     It also would be nice to see some tweaking of the skill to give a greater percentage of named crabs and lobster compared to unnamed crabs and lobsters. A 120 fisher works hard to get to 120. It's a long path to Legendary.

And thank you, I love my BG fishing pole!

Okay, lets look at this another way as well. Lets say for the sake of argument that all the different classes of fish have the same chance of being fished up equally give or take 10% depending on which way the fish swim in your world. That would mean that you have equal stock of all fish within each category. Before I started doing the fish monger quests I worked at stocking the fish and shellfish so I wouldn't have to do what I am ending up having to do, trap. 
    So after doing 100's of fish monger quests it became apparent that the quests seemed to favor certain crustaceans and shallow water fish. I know this because my stock levels show this.
    149 Apple
    211 Blue
    422 Dungeoness
    247 King
    3 Rock
    311 Snow
    Please note that for the past approx.  month I've had to trap regularly to get Rock crabs to fulfill orders. So adding all the new fished up crabs, subtracting out all the crabs used to fill orders still leaves me with no stock of rock while all the other crabs have increased for the most part. The rocks have been in greater demand.

So maybe it's me and my normal lousy RNG when not getting equal amounts fishing up stuff. But I'm also getting hit with an abundance of orders calling for Rock Crab. It can't be just me.  Having to stop doing quests so I can get 20 more crab which can take an evening, do the run, then 2 orders later get another quest for 20 Rock crab, on and on is difficult and makes me cranky.

What might be helpful is to be able to turn in so many plain crabs or lobsters to get crabs or lobsters of one's choice. This, in my opinion would make those gazillion unnamed crabs useful for something other than Library turn ins.
     It also would be nice to see some tweaking of the skill to give a greater percentage of named crabs and lobster compared to unnamed crabs and lobsters. A 120 fisher works hard to get to 120. It's a long path to Legendary.

This my exact issue except cutthroat Trout at the moment 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030

In your list of stock, if you replace Rock crab with Hummer lobster, that's what my list looks like after I've done some quests. It's been this way for years with this character. I have always just chalked it up to bad RNG. After reading this thread, maybe not.

Fisherfolk can be a superstitious bunch. Maybe whatever dev coded the monger quests included a request frequency by character, just to play into our fears.

:# 

If you're on Pacific, I can toss you a couple hundred Rock crab. I get those more than just about anything else, and hardly ever get quests for them.
    -Arroth
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,952
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:

It sounds like the Event will begin next week. Part of it is fishing.  Copy your Captain to Test Center for the preview.

I love that spreadsheet. Fish 37 hours at a legendary fisherman rate and you can get 1000 of each fish.  

My favorite Legendary Fisherwoman is Gabby. 

Hang on...

With the new Event it will be possible to collect the Pirate Hats to turn in for Rewards (perhaps rather then shoes and boots...) when fishing ?

I had no idea of that...
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    The newsletter mentions MiBs. That's what is meant, not regular just fishing
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    149 Apple
    211 Blue
    422 Dungeoness
    247 King
    3 Rock
    311 Snow

It is not just you. 

last year... late summer/early fall, the guild i was in was doing a fishing tournament. so while doing this tournament I started doing the fish monger quests again.

someone suggested writing down where you pick up the quest and the delivery place. so i made a notecard with the starting point and i would put the initial of the delivery. And if the crate needed something I didn't have, then i put the item count and initial for the crab/lobster/fish. 

At one time, i had every single crate needing either Rock lobster, rock crab and blue crab. I would go out but it would take about 3 hours to get enough for 2 or 3 of them. so i started buying them on Atlantic and having them brought back. it was faster than having to get them myself and only one person was selling them on my shard. (this person was selling 10 for more than i could pay for 100 on Atlantic)

And the comment about smallmouth bass. I was getting those in almost every order. so it is easy for me to run out too. I also run out of kokanee salmon.

I think it's an RNG/prone to get type of thing, just like when you are tossing hooks or nets in Jhelom waters. My friend Joyce used to get lots of MIBs and i got lot of treasure maps from the corpses. One of my other chars tends to get lot more MIBs when I use her.
    edited April 3
    Bruh.  THANK YOU.  Perfect solution.

Added uncommon crabs & lobsters to merchant vessel cargo

Ya'll are the best until I find something else to whine about.

EDIT: Didn't take long... Still, the crabs/lobsters are nice!
    "Increase your odds of collecting Plunderin’ Pirate Hats with the Potion of Glorious Fortune!"

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    I'm very thankful for this update. very nice indeed