Can anyone please explain this VS search result technically ?

2»

Comments

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 802
    edited March 26
    The "Seller's description" field is indeed searched based on the search terms of "Item name".
    That's problematic as that field is controlled by the seller.

If I was guessing, it's possible the first hit has backspaces encoded into the description, or there is something odd in the stored/indexed values.  There might also be some sort of off-by-one error related to showing the search results. (the 219,999 hit should not be shown).

You can see that problem with the 2nd hit in the search:

As I mentioned before, likely room for improvement in this area.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 26
    My only guess is that additional fields, such as house name, house id, vendor name, vendor bag text, vendor description, vendor id, are kept in the DB to make things like portalling to vendor and opening bags with right click work. Those fields are not visible to us, but they are part of the entry.

@popps did you visit the vendor? What was the vendor name? House name? Vendor description? Any container name? 

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    shootgun said:
    My only guess is that additional fields, such as house name, house id, vendor name, vendor bag text, vendor description, vendor id, are kept in the DB to make things like portalling to vendor and opening bags with right click work. Those fields are not visible to us, but they are part of the entry.

@ popps did you visit the vendor? What was the vendor name? House name? Vendor description? Any container name? 

It's the same one you posted as a scammer that kills when you buy from it.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    edited March 26
    Feigr said:
    shootgun said:

@ popps did you visit the vendor? What was the vendor name? House name? Vendor description? Any container name? 

It's the same one you posted as a scammer that kills when you buy from it.
    It's something with the House/Vendor or the player manipulated it. I went and bought the scroll and threw it on my vendor for a few different prices, including the 219.999,  and it never showed up under fishing scroll searches again. I will just put it in my PS book and if i ever decide to make a fencer, i'll have it.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    It's something with the House/Vendor or the player manipulated it. I went and bought the scroll and threw it on my vendor for a few different prices, including the 219.999,  and it never showed up under fishing scroll searches again. I will just put it in my PS book and if i ever decide to make a fencer, i'll have it.

Looks like Vic solved this issue and this thread can be closed....

This is what happens when people go 3 months without an event to keep them busy; they start looking for issues with things like VS / UO.com etc. Give us something else to occupy our time, team! :D
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    The "Seller's description" field is indeed searched based on the search terms of "Item name".
    That's problematic as that field is controlled by the seller.

If I was guessing, it's possible the first hit has backspaces encoded into the description, or there is something odd in the stored/indexed values.  There might also be some sort of off-by-one error related to showing the search results. (the 219,999 hit should not be shown).

You can see that problem with the 2nd hit in the search:

As I mentioned before, likely room for improvement in this area.
    This is likely the issue, description show up in the vendor search which isn’t new. 

I don’t know how many characters the description field is/can be but perhaps with enough spaces and putting “fishing” etc after will yield a tag like the first one Popps posted.

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 26
    @Victim_Of_Siege Did you have chance to take a look at the vendor name, etc?

I doubt it was intentional. If it was intentional, it would be a lot more expensive to fool people.
    edited March 26
    shootgun said:
    @ Victim_Of_Siege Did you have chance to take a look at the vendor name, etc?

I doubt it was intentional. If it was intentional, it would be a lot more expensive to fool people.
    i did, the vendor was named an odd name, but not anything with fishing. the house was unnamed and the owner name was three letters and had nothing to do with fishing. I think it was 1) a glitch in the matrix or 2) something accidental the seller did. I even went so far as to open all the bags and search for "Fishing" to see if that scroll popped up. It did not, No telling, but it is irrelevant now as I dropped it in a ps book.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited March 26
    shootgun said:

I did go check it all out when I originally posted. The house/vendor/bag name etc all didn't have anything about "Fishing" in it. Additionally the scroll was added via EC (grid view) so when I went I couldn't even see it (there was a tactics scroll over it in CC).

If this was a scam, then it wasn't executed very well given the price was only 220k and was hard to actually target on the vendor (in CC). I'm guessing it was something buggy but since I didn't actually see the scroll on the vendor I couldn't hover over it to see if there was any other label on it.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to add, but I think there should be a toggle to flip for searching by "item name" (ie a Legendary Scroll of Fishing (120)) vs "description name" (whatever the seller writes). I know there have been times I can't think of what the actual item name is for VS so I type in what it goes by (I think the anniversary horses are technically "statues" or something) hoping someone puts it in the selling description.
    keven2002 said:
    shootgun said:

I did go check it all out when I originally posted. The house/vendor/bag name etc all didn't have anything about "Fishing" in it. Additionally the scroll was added via EC (grid view) so when I went I couldn't even see it (there was a tactics scroll over it in CC).

If this was a scam, then it wasn't executed very well given the price was only 220k and was hard to actually target on the vendor (in CC). I'm guessing it was something buggy but since I didn't actually see the scroll on the vendor I couldn't hover over it to see if there was any other label on it.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to add, but I think there should be a toggle to flip for searching by "item name" (ie a Legendary Scroll of Fishing (120)) vs "description name" (whatever the seller writes). I know there have been times I can't think of what the actual item name is for VS so I type in what it goes by (I think the anniversary horses are technically "statues" or something) hoping someone puts it in the selling description.

The scam wouldn't have been to misrepresent the item.  It would have been if you bought it, the player hiding in their house with 100% success would have immediately killed you and looted the cursed item off your corpse.  Thus the vendor had your gold and the player kept the scroll to put back on the vendor.  Using the word "Scam" loosely here because other than the exploit of it being on VS, I think it's hilarious and brilliant.
    Feigr said:
    keven2002 said:
    shootgun said:

The scam wouldn't have been to misrepresent the item.  It would have been if you bought it, the player hiding in their house with 100% success would have immediately killed you and looted the cursed item off your corpse.  Thus the vendor had your gold and the player kept the scroll to put back on the vendor.  Using the word "Scam" loosely here because other than the exploit of it being on VS, I think it's hilarious and brilliant.
    Funny, I don't feel killed and looted.

Feigr said:
    keven2002 said:
    shootgun said:

That's why I assume it was attended and not unattended.  But they have in fact done what I described.
    Feigr said:
    Feigr said:
    keven2002 said:
    shootgun said:

That's why I assume it was attended and not unattended.  But they have in fact done what I described.
    It probably is usually attended, but then I know how to avoid scams, especially knowing it's a scam going into it.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Scamming of this type is legal in UO, UO has always been a buyer beware and even though that scroll came up in a fishing search it was clear that it was a fencing scroll and as far as getting killed in Fel while buying something off a vendor is your own fault.  Take a stealther to Fel, hide and move, Use the map to open vendor.  Have map ready to teleport back to last location.  Buy item/teleport.  Done.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    Do you have to spend 1000 gold for this to work?.  Do you have to teleport to the vendor first using the map?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    yes
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    Thanks

Arnold7 said:
    Do you have to spend 1000 gold for this to work?.  Do you have to teleport to the vendor first using the map?
    I just saw where the vendor was, stealthed down, bought it and stealthed away. I tracked and the player was there hidden. Your best bet in Fel is to not use the map to go there, figure out the best way to get there without letting them see you or just be able to defend yourself. 

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Arnold7 said:

No, you can open the map, see where it is and make your own way there.
    And it's not as bad as it sounds.  Once you actually start trying to use coordinates you see the patterns pretty easy.  It's kind of fun, actually.