Life as a Solo Player on Chessy

Hello, I have been playing UO since Sept 1997 on Chessy. It is one of the greatest online games ever.
Sadly, the player population on Chessy has diminished significantly over the years.

I actually have like 7 accounts, but at the moment I only have 1 active. My main char, the first character I created in UO in 1997 has access to 120 Magery, Med, Eval, Resist, Parry, Swords, Tactics, Wrestling, Spirit Speak, Necromancy, Fencing, Spellweaving, Archery, Focus, Necromancy. And a few other like Provo and Music in the 110 range. Obviously, a lot of these skills are on secondary characters or Soulstones.

I am not a power player anymore like I used to be due to work my schedule. Because of this when I play, I play as a solo and not part of a guild. This gets to my comment/frustration: Most of the high-end monsters that have decent loot on them cannot really be solo'd.

I don't expect that the game be changed for just me, but there has to be something that can be done to allow us individual players to be able to hunt the high-end monsters. The way it is now, I am relegated to things like Miasma and not much more. I don't get the opportunity to participate in dungeons that require multi-player to survive. Even the new area, the Valley of Eodon, thinks it's the library area to the South. One of the options has a timer that I can never complete in time no matter what I do. So, I can't complete the cycle ever. Basically, I don't have much reason to play anymore, which is disappointing after up to 27 years of play.

On a side note, is there a way to make a macro where last target is the mouse wheel? either scroll up or scroll down? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

I am looking forward to Legacy. Hopefully the skill gain won't take a year to max out, to only have the shard reset. ;-)

Thank you for your time.

Dragor (Chessy) Born Sept 1997

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    The taming revamp opened up many new encounters for me.  A solo player can do a champ spawn with a trained Hiryu.  That is probably the worst pet choice for that if you are looking for speed.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DragorDragor Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response. Shame that of all my 15 skills that I have at 120, the taming and complimentary skills are the ones I never completed. 
    Mythic Token and ask in chat for Velvet and say you want to become a tamer.  Have to check at different times to see when the most players are online.  Best bet is from 6 to 10 pm shard time.
    Be vocal in chat,

Plenty of helpful tamers on Chessy. 

Best Taming forum on the internet. https://community.stratics.com/forums/uo-tamer.419/

Introduce yourself, ask any questions and you will get lots of help.

Once you build a killer beast you can join the community events here: https://forum.uo.com/categories/chesapeake

Welcome!
    Dragor said:
    Thanks for the response. Shame that of all my 15 skills that I have at 120, the taming and complimentary skills are the ones I never completed. 
    A tamer is basically your mage that you made EVs and shot spells with.

Tamers add Taming, Lore, and Vet.  Your EVs are now Trained Beasts ready to vanquish all your enemies.  Add Spell Weaving to be a more effective killer.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Move to Baja
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Make a Char on Cats and GL  Baja is a very good shard but lag may be a problem
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Dragor said:

I am not a power player anymore like I used to be due to work my schedule. Because of this when I play, I play as a solo and not part of a guild. This gets to my comment/frustration: Most of the high-end monsters that have decent loot on them cannot really be solo'd.

On a side note, is there a way to make a macro where last target is the mouse wheel? either scroll up or scroll down? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

There's youtubes and forum posts of people doing everything major in this game solo. You've got to be willing to put the time, effort and gold into updating your characters to do this. 

I'm in the same boat with work so i solo lady mel, cora, navrey and champs with my tamer. If you're willing to do the work we can help with templates. 

Last target on mouse wheel can be done with UOA. I don't think it can be done using the standard classic client. Unsure since i've always had UOA.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    I know you said it’s your schedule that keeps you from playing with others, but you may give this thread a look to see if there’s anything you can catch: https://community.stratics.com/threads/february-events-and-welcome-to-all-new-and-returning-players.431519/
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    @Dragor - Your situation sounds similar to mine in the sense that I have multiple accounts (only 1 active right now though) and kind of play solo since most of people I used to play with have left the game long ago. I actually prefer to play solo most of the time because when someone comes in that doesn't know what they are doing it actually makes things harder.

My suggestion to help open up end-game type content for you is to use a second/third account to assist. It definitely will take some practice but I think you will find it's certainly doable having a support toon nearby. I've used support toons in the past to help speed up killing peerless bosses or just increase my chances at getting a drop in places like Shadowguard.

As Urge mentioned a few posts ago, if you are willing to put in the time/effort I think you will find most of the stuff you are looking to do is achievable without anyone else helping.
  • DragorDragor Posts: 8
    Thank you to all for your help. I didnt think UO Assist still worked. YAY..  I will have to decide if I want to put the effort into a Tamer. Wish i could solo with the skills i have at 120 already. But i guess we cant have everything we want.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Dragor said:
    Thank you to all for your help. I didnt think UO Assist still worked. YAY..  I will have to decide if I want to put the effort into a Tamer. Wish i could solo with the skills i have at 120 already. But i guess we cant have everything we want.

It's not like the old days. Buy a mythic token to get 90 and eat the mastery so you can cast the mastery to gain. Or just buy the pinks. Expensive but worth every bit of gold.

My tamer is mage/music/disco/tame/lore/vet. Disco trained the same way as taming.

They say a samp can solo about everything. Idk i don't like playing them. 
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 303
    Dragor said:
    Hello, I have been playing UO since Sept 1997 on Chessy. It is one of the greatest online games ever.
    Sadly, the player population on Chessy has diminished significantly over the years.

I actually have like 7 accounts, but at the moment I only have 1 active. My main char, the first character I created in UO in 1997 has access to 120 Magery, Med, Eval, Resist, Parry, Swords, Tactics, Wrestling, Spirit Speak, Necromancy, Fencing, Spellweaving, Archery, Focus, Necromancy. And a few other like Provo and Music in the 110 range. Obviously, a lot of these skills are on secondary characters or Soulstones.

I don't expect that the game be changed for just me, but there has to be something that can be done to allow us individual players to be able to hunt the high-end monsters. The way it is now, I am relegated to things like Miasma and not much more. I don't get the opportunity to participate in dungeons that require multi-player to survive. Even the new area, the Valley of Eodon, thinks it's the library area to the South. One of the options has a timer that I can never complete in time no matter what I do. So, I can't complete the cycle ever. Basically, I don't have much reason to play anymore, which is disappointing after up to 27 years of play.

Dragor (Chessy) Born Sept 1997
    Sadly the high end loot doesn't compete with the prepatch-items that don't spawn anymore. If you own shard shields and you can farm gold, your best bet is to go shop the auctions safes on atlantic for items >8 mods, that's the end content right there if you are bored. Farm gold and shop is how you are going to improve your suits. Like you said as a solo casual player, you won't be able to solo much high end content.
     Like you said as a solo casual player, you won't be able to solo much high end content.

I disagree with this statement whether we are talking about using multiple accounts or not. 

Outside of Scalis, almost all other end-game content can be solo'ed with the right setup. As I mentioned in a previous post, using a bard as a support toon (can easily hang back almost off screen and still buff) will give even casual players the ability to solo most content using a sampire or tamer.

If this person's ultimate goal is to solo end-game content then they should make it a priority to 120 their tamer (or sampire) and they too could do tons of high end content.
    keven2002 said:
     Like you said as a solo casual player, you won't be able to solo much high end content.

I disagree with this statement whether we are talking about using multiple accounts or not. 

Outside of Scalis, almost all other end-game content can be solo'ed with the right setup. As I mentioned in a previous post, using a bard as a support toon (can easily hang back almost off screen and still buff) will give even casual players the ability to solo most content using a sampire or tamer.

If this person's ultimate goal is to solo end-game content then they should make it a priority to 120 their tamer (or sampire) and they too could do tons of high end content.
    A true solo player would need high end gear and the only way to get it would be to buy it.  And the OP said solo so he would not have any support and to get the 120s needed again he would need to buy them.
    edited February 27
    keven2002 said:

A true solo player would need high end gear and the only way to get it would be to buy it.  And the OP said solo so he would not have any support and to get the 120s needed again he would need to buy them.
    A mage Tamer does not need anything expensive.  You can buy pieces to make a 40LMC, 70 resist, 30MR suit cheap or loot it from a few Scalis or Corguls.  They do those on Chessy, I'm sure.  You just have to be vocal or look at posted event times and join.

Like I said, a player can do a champ spawn with a Bushido Hiryu.  You can do more with a better pet.

A Cu can solo T Rex or Great Ape. Just keep it alive so it can kill.

Taming, vet, and lore scrolls are cheap, pets can use 105 scrolls to start with and they are cheap.
    edited February 29
    keven2002 said:

Again disagree. You can participate in a public scalis or UW a few times and end up with a legendary mage suit with all you need. Worst case scenario, you can go buy some legendary gear for a few million (obtained by killing Miasma for a day or two) and use a tamer to farm almost anything at that point. 

A sampire would be a little tougher but still very possible as a solo player. You might need 1, maybe 2, dexer legendary pieces and you can craft the rest for a suit that will allow you to "get into the ring" with some top end content (you might die more than you would with a max level suit but that's where the "working at it" part comes in).

The OP said he has 120 (cap) taming but just hasn't worked it; he has the ability there just needs to put in the time at this point.

At the end of the day, it's very possible to solo high end content if someone puts the work in (and it's not much at this point in UO). Side note that bard 120's are dirt cheap. I'd venture to guess you could easily outfit & scroll an EJ account (as support) for less than 5mil. Again if the OP really wanted to "solo" things and play high end content it's all very possible with just a little bit of work.
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:

Again disagree. You can participate in a public scalis or UW a few times and end up with a legendary mage suit with all you need. Worst case scenario, you can go buy some legendary gear for a few million (obtained by killing Miasma for a day or two) and use a tamer to farm almost anything at that point. 

A sampire would be a little tougher but still very possible as a solo player. You might need 1, maybe 2, dexer legendary pieces and you can craft the rest for a suit that will allow you to "get into the ring" with some top end content (you might die more than you would with a max level suit but that's where the "working at it" part comes in).

The OP said he has 120 (cap) taming but just hasn't worked it; he has the ability there just needs to put in the time at this point.

At the end of the day, it's very possible to solo high end content if someone puts the work in (and it's not much at this point in UO). Side note that bard 120's are dirt cheap. I'd venture to guess you could easily outfit & scroll an EJ account (as support) for less than 5mil. Again if the OP really wanted to "solo" things and play high end content it's all very possible with just a little bit of work.
    Again you talk about more than ONE player activity and AGAIN he is a SOLO, ONE, ALONE player.  I do a lot of shard hoping and I love that you think there is cheap legendary gear out there for the grabbing.  He doesn't have a scrolled out Tamer.  He doesn't have a scrolled out crafter and I doubt he has all the resources needed to make gear.  All the bard scrolls is more like 15-20M because of discord and now you want to build a max mana suit for a support player assuming he wants to haul around another player/account.  I just love how you THINK it is so EASY for returning/new players to just jump in an be all you can be when that is one of the biggest complaints about UO.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    There is a facebook group for Chesapeake players I found it by searching facebook for Chesapeake Ultima Online, I didn't apply to join the group.

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    I have some good characters on Chesapeake.  It's my favorite shard by far.  I come and go a lot.  If you want someone to play with I can jump on pretty often.   There's an amazing guild/alliance on there too that does stuff all the time.
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:

Again you talk about more than ONE player activity and AGAIN he is a SOLO, ONE, ALONE player.  I do a lot of shard hoping and I love that you think there is cheap legendary gear out there for the grabbing.  He doesn't have a scrolled out Tamer.  He doesn't have a scrolled out crafter and I doubt he has all the resources needed to make gear.  All the bard scrolls is more like 15-20M because of discord and now you want to build a max mana suit for a support player assuming he wants to haul around another player/account.  I just love how you THINK it is so EASY for returning/new players to just jump in an be all you can be when that is one of the biggest complaints about UO.

As a quick side note, your post is exactly what gets threads locked and other people not want to post. Why are you so triggered at my post about something that has zero to do with you? I also think you need to work on your read comprehension, friend. 

I'll clarify a few things for you. 

First, if a single person is using multiple accounts, that's still 1 player; they just have multiple toons. That's still playing Solo; ie by themselves without a guild etc. You can do that for free with an EJ account.

Second, where does the OP say they are returning? Go re-read the post, they clearly say they've been playing since 97 and due to the work schedule don't play as much as they used to but nothing about stopped playing or "returning". While you are re-reading you can show me where they said they do not have craft skills. They have 7 accounts so I'm sure there is a crafter somewhere but that doesn't really matter because crafted items are only needed in a pinch. Even the taming skills sound like they are 120 scrolled, just not real skill 120. Regardless of any of that, those scrolls are all cheap so what's your gripe there?

Third, Legendary gear to throw together for a bard suit is super cheap in terms of game prices these days. Maybe you need to rethink your shard shopping hobbies if you can't find legendary gear for cheap. The item below was on Chesapeake with a very short/simple search and it was the first thing that came up (it's only 500k). Obviously spending a little more might get MR4 or additional properties but it's not needed for a support bard.

Fourth, guess I'll clarify what a support bard is since it doesn't appear that you know. A support bard doesn't need discord skill because all they do is buff your main toon/pet. All you need is 120 music and then 120provo OR peace...you can take your pick based on what buff you need. That said, I did another VS on Ches and peace & provo were 1m each. Music was 3m. So for 5m you can have all 3 120'ed... not really sure what disco sells for but it's not needed on a support bard. Again, given today's market 1million is pennies by today's standards; ie these are cheap.

I'm not really sure what your motives are to acting like the game is too hard or impossible for a single player but you couldn't be more inaccurate so I'd ask that you stop spreading misinformation. It might not be something that will happen over night if you don't know how but it's certainly possible for most that are willing to ask questions and learn like the OP seems to be willing to do. I understand YOU might not think it's possible but those are not facts, so you shouldn't act like they are anything more than your opinions and become angry when someone with experience is explaining how it is.