Flame and Frost Cannonballs... is there a point of having them in UO ?

Has anyone find an use that makes sense for these particular types of cannonballs ?

They are extremely difficult to get so, using them generousily seems not an option to me...

Yet, the bonus which they provide is not such that using them with scarcity might make sense (I mean, in order to make their use make sense, given their scarcity, at least to my opinion, 1 frost/flame cannonball should be enough to drop 50% health bar of the targeted ship, its crew, whatever...

Or, they should be made more abundant and easy to get so that players could actually use them for something...

Bottom line is, out of curiosity, has anyone found so far a good and smart way to use Flame and Frost cannonballs for something ?

Thanks.

Comments

  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    cool deco
  • extremely difficult to get. Really Popps?

    Once again showing your incompetence and a discussion that is worthless. If you don't like them bin them

    Of course the dev's wont change anything because you are having a drama moment yet again.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    edited February 24
    Why should things stay in Ultima Online as "static", immutable ?

    If something in the game as it is, is not used by players because they do not see any advantage from using it, why couldn't it be changed, improved, enhanced, so that players were to find good reasons to make that thing to a good use ?

    And in the case of Flame and Frost cannonballs, especially since, is my understanding, Ultima Online will be having an Event spanning over the Seas...

    Why not make changes to these particular types of cannonballs to make players find reasons to use them for the upcoming Event ?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,015
    The risk vs reward is certainly skewed much like eodon maps 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,976Moderator
    The chances of anything changing with these items before the upcoming event is very, very slim, even a small change requires development time and testing.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    the daily rare cannon ball needs to be a 1 shot sink ship and 2500 luck bonus  
  • popps said:
    Why should things stay in Ultima Online as "static", immutable ?

    If something in the game as it is, is not used by players because they do not see any advantage from using it, why couldn't it be changed, improved, enhanced, so that players were to find good reasons to make that thing to a good use ?

    And in the case of Flame and Frost cannonballs, especially since, is my understanding, Ultima Online will be having an Event spanning over the Seas...

    Why not make changes to these particular types of cannonballs to make players find reasons to use them for the upcoming Event ?
    Change your narrative from players to player, you, you do not speak for others. That game will not change because you can’t play it

    it is very tiresome that you speak in the 3rd person, you are singular. Not a team or group and you only find these kind of problems yourself

    if you can’t find a use for these cannon balls that’s because you only see in narrow vision

    oh and of course you are incapable of talking in Gen Chat to ask what other do with them

    may aswell lock this post,  it’s pointless and the only solution is hoping Popps can expand is poor imagination and leave most aspects alone because his constant moaning may one day negatively affect other players gameplay to suit his useless play style 


  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 904
    edited February 24
    In fact let’s hear this

    what have you tried these cannon balls on to allow you to question their usefulness?

    lets see the evidence to support your post

    how many have u used them?.
    What on and what damages did they do?

    can’t wait for this……..

    or is this just another post where you have no supporting evidence ?

    of course you have not used them on ships because that would be a ridiculous waste. How did they fair against Corgul and Scalia when you tried them ?

    another pointless post from Popps +1
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,068
    edited February 24
    In fact let’s hear this

    what have you tried these cannon balls on to allow you to question their usefulness?

    lets see the evidence to support your post

    how many have u used them?.
    What on and what damages did they do?

    can’t wait for this……..

    or is this just another post where you have no supporting evidence ?

    of course you have not used them on ships because that would be a ridiculous waste. How did they fair against Corgul and Scalia when you tried them ?

    another pointless post from Popps +1
    Ya I was going to ask him about how many things he has tried them on.
    You defiantly want someone shooting cannons when you fight Charybdis. Theoretically one of them would work well on it.

    Takes around 10 shots to sink a pirate ship. He wants the fire and frost to do 5x damage.  So 2 would sink one.  That's not gonna happen.

    All his question posts are, why do I have to do as many steps as everyone else when I should be able to do it much faster. 

    It would be cool enough if they only did a deco fire with flames effect or a frozen effect on the target.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,068
    edited February 24
    For numbers sake.  The 2 special cannon balls drop at the almost same rate 84 Frost, 94 Fire.  I have shot some for the heck of it.  They do not get in the way of Orc Ships, I give those away to needy sailors. Like all of UO some of the items don't want to stack with the others.



    Are my old Match Cords and Matches worth plats now?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,837
    edited February 24
    Pawain said:
    . . .



    Are my old Match Cords and Matches worth plats now?
    Only worth about Tree Fiddy
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    Pawain said:
    In fact let’s hear this

    what have you tried these cannon balls on to allow you to question their usefulness?

    lets see the evidence to support your post

    how many have u used them?.
    What on and what damages did they do?

    can’t wait for this……..

    or is this just another post where you have no supporting evidence ?

    of course you have not used them on ships because that would be a ridiculous waste. How did they fair against Corgul and Scalia when you tried them ?

    another pointless post from Popps +1
    Ya I was going to ask him about how many things he has tried them on.
    You defiantly want someone shooting cannons when you fight Charybdis. Theoretically one of them would work well on it.

    Takes around 10 shots to sink a pirate ship. He wants the fire and frost to do 5x damage.  So 2 would sink one.  That's not gonna happen.

    All his question posts are, why do I have to do as many steps as everyone else when I should be able to do it much faster. 

    It would be cool enough if they only did a deco fire with flames effect or a frozen effect on the target.
    Takes around 10 shots to sink a pirate ship. He wants the fire and frost to do 5x damage.  So 2 would sink one.  That's not gonna happen.\

    It was just a mere example...

    Besides the fact that, I understand, currently it is possible to shoot without having any cannonball inside the cannon, we need to take into account how common regular cannonballs are, while how scarce and hard to get are frost and flame cannonballs...

    So, it  is not a problem to spend 10 "regular" cannonballs since they are abundant, while it would be a problem to spend too many frost and flame cannonballs which are hard to get and extremely scarce...

    That is why I suggested to make the frost and flame cannonballs be a lot more worth their extreme scarcity... otherwise, I see no point in players using them.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,015
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    In fact let’s hear this

    what have you tried these cannon balls on to allow you to question their usefulness?

    lets see the evidence to support your post

    how many have u used them?.
    What on and what damages did they do?

    can’t wait for this……..

    or is this just another post where you have no supporting evidence ?

    of course you have not used them on ships because that would be a ridiculous waste. How did they fair against Corgul and Scalia when you tried them ?

    another pointless post from Popps +1
    Ya I was going to ask him about how many things he has tried them on.
    You defiantly want someone shooting cannons when you fight Charybdis. Theoretically one of them would work well on it.

    Takes around 10 shots to sink a pirate ship. He wants the fire and frost to do 5x damage.  So 2 would sink one.  That's not gonna happen.

    All his question posts are, why do I have to do as many steps as everyone else when I should be able to do it much faster. 

    It would be cool enough if they only did a deco fire with flames effect or a frozen effect on the target.
    Takes around 10 shots to sink a pirate ship. He wants the fire and frost to do 5x damage.  So 2 would sink one.  That's not gonna happen.\

    It was just a mere example...

    Besides the fact that, I understand, currently it is possible to shoot without having any cannonball inside the cannon, we need to take into account how common regular cannonballs are, while how scarce and hard to get are frost and flame cannonballs...

    So, it  is not a problem to spend 10 "regular" cannonballs since they are abundant, while it would be a problem to spend too many frost and flame cannonballs which are hard to get and extremely scarce...

    That is why I suggested to make the frost and flame cannonballs be a lot more worth their extreme scarcity... otherwise, I see no point in players using them.
    Just don't use them 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,068
    popps said:
     I see no point in players using them.
    Join the rest of the players and don't use them.

    There's thousands of items in UO that someone doesn't use every day, yet they still can play.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
     I see no point in players using them.
    Join the rest of the players and don't use them.

    There's thousands of items in UO that someone doesn't use every day, yet they still can play.
    Yes, yet, I brought this up, because of the upcoming Sea Event...

    Perhaps, just perhaps, doing something to make Frost and Flame cannonballs be more useful so that players would get to use them might make some sense in the light of the upcoming Sea Event?

    Just perhaps....
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    edited February 24
    Pawain said:
    For numbers sake.  The 2 special cannon balls drop at the almost same rate 84 Frost, 94 Fire.  I have shot some for the heck of it.  They do not get in the way of Orc Ships, I give those away to needy sailors. Like all of UO some of the items don't want to stack with the others.



    Are my old Match Cords and Matches worth plats now?
    because we used to have light and heavy cannon balls so you should have 2 of each if you got any before they eliminated the heavy/light tag..

    Pawain said:
    . . .



    Are my old Match Cords and Matches worth plats now?
    Only worth about Tree Fiddy

    WHY do you always have to start out all buying offers & pricing so damn high ?  Your driving up the inflation in all of UO ... gezzzzzz rich folk I tell ya !
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 904
    edited February 24
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
     I see no point in players using them.
    Join the rest of the players and don't use them.

    There's thousands of items in UO that someone doesn't use every day, yet they still can play.
    Yes, yet, I brought this up, because of the upcoming Sea Event...

    Perhaps, just perhaps, doing something to make Frost and Flame cannonballs be more useful so that players would get to use them might make some sense in the light of the upcoming Sea Event?

    Just perhaps....
    YOU DO NOT SPEAK FOR OTHERS

    And you are guessing about what the new content will be.

    @Mariah Lock time again, Popps is being annoying for self mass debating purposes 
  • Skett said:
    Pawain said:
    . . .



    Are my old Match Cords and Matches worth plats now?
    Only worth about Tree Fiddy

    WHY do you always have to start out all buying offers & pricing so damn high ?  Your driving up the inflation in all of UO ... gezzzzzz rich folk I tell ya !
    You know us Anderson County folk . . .
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,068
    edited February 24
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
     I see no point in players using them.
    Join the rest of the players and don't use them.

    There's thousands of items in UO that someone doesn't use every day, yet they still can play.
    Yes, yet, I brought this up, because of the upcoming Sea Event...

    Perhaps, just perhaps, doing something to make Frost and Flame cannonballs be more useful so that players would get to use them might make some sense in the light of the upcoming Sea Event?

    Just perhaps....
    They work as designed. It's just ships and beacons do not take extra damage from them. You have to use them on something else to see the benefits.

    Play the game with the items in the game.  Stop looking for an easy button.

    They could make us jump thru hoops to get hat drops.  Accept what we get.

    @skett I forgot what I did with the heavy and light cannonballs. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,015
    Chardys lowest resistance is cold try a frost ball on him toss in disco with either bard buffs or evil omen...
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    they removed the tag "light" and "heavy" they are all just regular cannon balls now and don't stack . I think it changed when they removed the match cord/ram rods and all the over complex cannon loading bs @Pawain
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
     I see no point in players using them.
    Join the rest of the players and don't use them.

    There's thousands of items in UO that someone doesn't use every day, yet they still can play.
    Yes, yet, I brought this up, because of the upcoming Sea Event...

    Perhaps, just perhaps, doing something to make Frost and Flame cannonballs be more useful so that players would get to use them might make some sense in the light of the upcoming Sea Event?

    Just perhaps....
    They work as designed. It's just ships and beacons do not take extra damage from them. You have to use them on something else to see the benefits.

    Play the game with the items in the game.  Stop looking for an easy button.

    They could make us jump thru hoops to get hat drops.  Accept what we get.

    @ skett I forgot what I did with the heavy and light cannonballs. 
    I may have not explained myself well enough... my apologies...

    Regardless of the (limited) use which Flame and Frost cannonballs may have, their scarcity and difficulty (and time consuming) to get makes, to my opiniion, that (limited) usefullness make them not worth it, with the result that, I seem to understand, hardly any player actually uses them...

    If players tend to not use some items in the game, I imagine that perhaps, just perhaps, something might be wrong with these items....

    And since we are going to have an Event taking place in the Seas of UO, I hoped that, maybe, such a time could have been a good occasion to make these Flame and Frost cannonballs more appealing and interesting to UO players to use.
  • They are easy to get  
  • popps said:

    Regardless of the (limited) use which Flame and Frost cannonballs may have, their scarcity and difficulty (and time consuming) to get makes, to my opiniion, that (limited) usefullness make them not worth it, with the result that, I seem to understand, hardly any player actually uses them...

    If players tend to not use some items in the game, I imagine that perhaps, just perhaps, something might be wrong with these items....

    And since we are going to have an Event taking place in the Seas of UO, I hoped that, maybe, such a time could have been a good occasion to make these Flame and Frost cannonballs more appealing and interesting to UO players to use.
    WTS Scarce and Difficult to obtain Flamin' Balls O Death,1 Plat ea. Come see Vic behind the Salty Dog in Brit, Arrrr!



    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    edited February 25
    They are easy to get  
    Time consuming, nonetheless...

    How long does it take to find, disable the Pirate ship and then apprehend the Pirate and then turn it in to the NPC Officer ?

    And all this time, to have a chance to get 1 single frost or flame cannonball.

    That is 1 shot... all that time spent, for 1 single shot which is then good for what ? To do some fire or cold area damage...

    Perhaps to other UO players this might seem worth the time, I happen to think it does not and I would like to see some changes done to frost and flame cannonballs to make them more appealing and convenient to UO players to want to use them.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    popps said:

    Perhaps to other UO players this might seem worth the time, I happen to think it does not...
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. I will end this thread on that note.
This discussion has been closed.