Can anyone please help with setting up this Template ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,949
edited February 11 in General Discussions

I am entertaining the idea of building a Treasure Hunter that has also Magery (to heal, mostly) and Spellweaving (it has a few spells which can be of help to a Tamer) but have been running into the issue of too many skill points total and am not sure of how many skill points I can sacrifice, what I can use on jewellery or gear to help out going beyond the 720.0 skill points CAP and which I must have as real skill points in order to have the Mastery work better.... 

Now, ideally, my template should be :

Cartography   100.0
Lockpicking    100.0
Detect Hidden 100.0
Remove Trap   100.0
Animal Taming 120.0
Animal Lore      120.0
Magery             100.0
Spellweaving    120.0

But then, the Total comes 860.0 skill points...

On imbued jewellery I could come up with 90.0 points (15 x 6) but I would still be with 50 points in excess... furthermore, all of the Treasure Hunting skills (Cartography, Lockpicking, Detect Hidden, Remove Trap) as well as Spellweaving, to my knowledge, cannot be imbued which leaves only Animal Taming, Animal Lore and Magery as imbuable skills...

There is also the issue about Masteries working only on real skill points, not on skill points that are on jewellery/gear so, I am not sure what impact might have having 30.0 points for Animal Taming and 30.0 points for Animal Lore imbued on jewellery, on the use of the Taming Masteries... does anyone know ?

So, unless anyone has a brilliant solution suggesting gear and what not with skill points to cover those 50 points in excess or at least part of them, I have no other option but to sacrifice either entire skill(s) or some points of them...

Can a Treasure Hunter do without Detect Hidden and still be able to do Maps with good results ? Does not having it have an impact on something with Treasure Hunting be it the quality/quantity of items or what not ?

Cartography, I guess, is a must have, since, I understand, only the character that decoded the Map can dig it out besides the fact that now the finding of the Chest location, I understand, no longer depends on Mining but on Cartography... Lockpicking is also needed to necessarily unlock the chest, and Remove Trap I also seem to understand is necessary.

Yes, I know, I could use a secondary character either as the Treasure Hunter or as the Fighter and my life would be easier rather then getting so many headaches trying to squeeze too many skill points on 1 Template and gathering the necessary gear, but I was wondering whether this could be managed with 1 character at least with some good, decent success, albeit not as advantgeous perhaps, as from using 2 separate characters...

Please, if you feel wanting to help and give advice, thank you so much, but please, and I am making a plea to the UO Forum moderators, I hope that this will not end up as yet another thread of mine locked up, I mean, the info and advice/suggestions which other UO players might want to share in this Thread about such a Template build might also be helpful to other fellow UO players, hopefully...

Thank you in advance for your kind help, advice and suggestions !

Comments

• vortexvortex Posts: 202
    Don't need detect hidden or spell weaving.. Put vet on to res your pet
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,949
    vortex said:
    Don't need detect hidden or spell weaving.. Put vet on to res your pet
    Thank you for the reply.

If doable, I would prefer to have spellweaving... or it still cannot be done with also spellweaving (that is, it would be less playable...) but without Detect Hidden (thus saving up 100.0 points) ?
    I do all maps without detect or weaving... With the use of multiple jewel swaps I used to have music and peace and discord and run the peace mastery for wicked regens.
    vortex said:
    I do all maps without detect or weaving... With the use of multiple jewel swaps I used to have music and peace and discord and run the peace mastery for wicked regens.
    Wow, even without Detect Hidden and Spellweaving, how could you fit in 3 more skills, Music, Peacemaking and Discordance ?

If possible, could you please kindly get more in details about your Treasure Hunter build, with the respective skill points, and what gear you used ?

Thank you.
    Lots of imbued jewels but tmaps are easy enough so I don't bother anymore my chiv ai slug can handle everything...tough mobs pick them off one at a time
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Unless you're just wanting an all purpose tamer the vollem can be controlled under 100 tame/lore at 5 slots. Entire thread on stratics. That is if it hasn't been fixed. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Way over thinking this 
    100 cart
    100 remove trap
    100 lock picking
    120 tame
    120 lore
    90 vet
    90 mage

Get a unicorn 

You can solo all maps 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    do you plan on doing Hoard and Trove maps?
    if not, then you don't need Lockpicking
    (cast the Magery spell UNLOCK to open)

one of my treasure hunters only has 85 magery
    (you can equip Anon's spellbook to get to 100, to open Cache maps)

taming, lore, vet, magery, cartography, remove trap
    spellweaving (if you must have)
    the rest in Eval

use jewelry for taming, lore and vet

i precast an invis, while the chest is being dug up
    and when it appears, invis quickly. And let my beetle take over

Good Luck

edited February 11
    Thank you so much to all for the replies and advice so far.

Yes, I would like a Treasure Hunter that can cover all Maps, including Hoard and Trove so, I guess that Lockpicking I need to have...

My pet of choice would be a 5 slots fully trained Giant Blue Beetle (Rune Corruption and AI) since I would like to gather all stuff to unravel what is not good enough to keep (most if not all of it, unfortunately) and I find it immersion breaking the need to recall to swap pets after having done the Map... I'd rather prefer using the Giant Blue Beetle from start to finish if it can handle at least 1 on 1 the Guardians, all the way up to a Hoard Map.

I can use a bag of sending for the gold but for the gems and items it would burn too many charges.

So, I guess, I would need the following skills : 

Cartography       100.0
    Lockpicking        100.0
    Remove Trap     100.0
    Animal Taming   120.0 (15 on ring + 15 on bracelet)
    Animal Lore        120.0 (15 on ring + 15 on bracelet)
    Spellweaving      120.0
    Magery               100.0 (15 on ring + 15 on bracelet)
    Meditation             50.0

The gear would need to have several Mana Regen pieces to make it up for the only 50 Meditation points I imagine, but how much MR should I aim at in order to then have enough Mana to heal the pet as needed, even against Trove Guardians as well as to keep up with the Mana need for Consume Damage ?

Any suggestion on what Artifacts I should look at for the gear ?

Also, does anyone know how much it would impact the Taming Masteries the fact that I would only have 90 "real" Taming and Lore skills being the rest on the jewellery ?

Would my Consume damage be less effective because of the lower "real" Taming and Lore skill points ?

Please, feel free to point out any disadvantages which my build might have that you were to see with it, which another build and set up would instead not have.

Thank you again for the help.
    popps said:

Yes, I would like a Treasure Hunter that can cover all Maps, including Hoard and Trove so, I guess that Lockpicking I need to have...

My pet of choice would be a 5 slots fully trained Giant Blue Beetle (Rune Corruption and AI) since I would like to gather all stuff to unravel what is not good enough to keep (most if not all of it, unfortunately) and I find it immersion breaking the need to recall to swap pets after having done the Map... I'd rather prefer using the Giant Blue Beetle from start to finish if it can handle at least 1 on 1 the Guardians, all the way up to a Hoard Map.

I can use a bag of sending for the gold but for the gems and items it would burn too many charges.

Cartography       100.0
    Lockpicking        100.0
    Remove Trap     100.0
    Spellweaving      120.0

The gear would need to have several Mana Regen pieces to make it up for the only 50 Meditation points I imagine, but how much MR should I aim at in order to then have enough Mana to heal the pet as needed, even against Trove Guardians as well as to keep up with the Mana need for Consume Damage ?

Also, does anyone know how much it would impact the Taming Masteries the fact that I would only have 90 "real" Taming and Lore skills being the rest on the jewellery ?

Would my Consume damage be less effective because of the lower "real" Taming and Lore skill points ?

Please, feel free to point out any disadvantages which my build might have that you were to see with it, which another build and set up would instead not have.

Why are you insisting on spellweaving?  
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    Without eval intel your template has no offensive capability at all when it comes to treasure hunting.  You would be relying 100% on your pet.  Think detect hidden and spellweaving are of limited use for treasure hunters so would recommend dropping those.  If you want to do damage yourself in addition to what your pet does add eval intel, or if you want to be able to raise your pet add vetenary.  You only need 90 remove trap and lock picking.  I don’t think taking either of those  to 100% provides any tangible benefit.

Spellweaving is a great enhancement  to magery on a general purpose fighting mage.  I really like the area damage spells.  But, for treasure hunting, especially doing hoard and trove chests, it would not be that useful for battling what comes out of those chests.

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 910
    edited February 11
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Cartography       100.0
    Lockpicking        100.0
    Remove Trap     100.0
    Spellweaving      120.0

Because you have all advised him not to and its his fetish to argue and prove you all wrong

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    @popps on Taming/Lore you need to keep them at a level that you can control your pet naked.  You will rez and forget to dress and try to control your pet and will fail and run the chance for your pet to go wild.  Do not forget the Tame/Lore Tally for +5 each
    edited February 11
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Cartography       100.0
    Lockpicking        100.0
    Remove Trap     100.0
    Spellweaving      120.0

Well, there is some spells which I like to support pets... Gift of Life to res them, Gift of Renewal to have them heal better against stronger foes or as an emergency patch up in case the pet gets ganked, and then Wildfire and Essence of Wind can help support the pet in the fight and then Ethereal Voyage can help the Tamer get out of a nasty situation and Word of Death can help the pet with that landing hit on the target to end the fight faster...

To me, it looks a better deal as compared to Veterinary which requires the Tamer to stand next to the pet and, thus, too close to the MoB...
    Arnold7 said:
    Without eval intel your template has no offensive capability at all when it comes to treasure hunting.  You would be relying 100% on your pet.  Think detect hidden and spellweaving are of limited use for treasure hunters so would recommend dropping those.  If you want to do damage yourself in addition to what your pet does add eval intel, or if you want to be able to raise your pet add vetenary.  You only need 90 remove trap and lock picking.  I don’t think taking either of those  to 100% provides any tangible benefit.

Spellweaving is a great enhancement  to magery on a general purpose fighting mage.  I really like the area damage spells.  But, for treasure hunting, especially doing hoard and trove chests, it would not be that useful for battling what comes out of those chests.

That is a good point, thank you for bringing it up.

Although, Wildfire is not that bad... the damage formula is : 

Damage: 10 + (Skill Level Real / 240) (+1 per Focus level) (Max before SDI: 15). Increased by SDI

So, with a Circle 6, holding a 50 SDI spellbook in hand and having some gear to add up more SDI the ending damage is not that bad... and then, there is also the Word of Death option to end the fight faster...
    @ popps on Taming/Lore you need to keep them at a level that you can control your pet naked.  You will rez and forget to dress and try to control your pet and will fail and run the chance for your pet to go wild.  Do not forget the Tame/Lore Tally for +5 each
    Good points and advice, thanks.

• Remember this Popps?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253

Remember this Popps?
    Trying to rez your own bonded pet with Vet you can get this.  They both needs fixing.
    edited February 11

Remember this Popps?
    Absolutely, but, I would guess, the likeliness to have that happen at a treasure chest location is a lot less likely as compared to a messy spawn situation.
    Your pet will be one shot dead as soon as you res it
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    edited February 12
    If you are doing Hoard and Trove maps you can use the time it takes to avoid the ancient guardians to recall home and stone skills off and on to your characters.  You have an hour before a dug up chest poofs.  Take advantage of that hour.

What I do sometimes is stone off remove trap, stone on lock picking, go dig up the t-map, kill the normal guardians, mark a recall rune, go dig up another t-map, kill the normal guardians, mark another recall rune, do this several times, recall around to all of the dug up chests, pick their locks, recall home, stone off lock picking, stone on remove trap, recall around to all of the dug up chests, remove their traps, loot them.

But most times I will multi-client with lock picking on a character on the second account to avoid the time it takes to stone a skill off and on.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    This is one of those times when an EJ account will come in handy and give you all the extra points you'll need. 
    Urge said:
    This is one of those times when an EJ account will come in handy and give you all the extra points you'll need. 
    Yes, it sure is... it is only that I wanted to maintain some gameplay immersion and try to handle Treasure Maps with 1 character...
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    Does it have to be a tamer character? My treasure hunter is a mystic/weaver and does pretty well without the need for skills on jewels or swapping skills on soulstones. 
    cartography 100
    Focus 80
    Lockpicking 100
    Magery 100
    Mysticism 120
    Remove Trap 100
    Spellweaving 120
    We need a cartography suit ! That adds say 10 to each needed skill this wouldn't be OP and would allow flexibility in builds 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    A basic 120 mage can do all the Trammel, Felucca, Malas, Tokuno, and Tel Mur maps if it’s just the mage and the map.  In Tel Mur and Tokuno there are several areas that have too much other hard to kill stuff that’s walking around to make doing chests in those areas practical.  In Lish. my mage does not know to defeat regegade changlings.  He can defeat everything else that comes out.  Think there are almost always one or more of those in trove chests.  Not sure about hoards.  Know I have done some hoards there without problems.  I don’t generally buy hoard or trove maps in Lish.  I have heard so many horror stories about that 20,000 hit point whatever it is that comes out of even Endon supply chests that I very rarely do any maps there so can’t say much about those chests.  It takes awhile sometimes to do any hoard or trove chest if mostly what jumps out is the high end stuff, but except for the one that spawned two renegade changlings in Lish. I have never failed to loot a chest.

if you have a basic mage, stone off three non mage related skills, and stone on 100 cart.  and 90 remove trap and lockpicking, and give it a try.  With hoard and trove chests it takes awhile to do the spawn, but in that time the remove trap count down timer often expires, so remove trap is usually successful on the first try.  My mage is 120 magery, 110 eval plus a 10 eval talisman and 100 meditation and resist.  Nothing really outstanding about his gear although it is slanted towards magery but he does carry a full complement of slayer books.

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    so you think you can dig up a chest while in ethereal voyage form, while using consume damage and run away from monsters (Greater Dragons come from tram and fel Trove chests) without losing consume damage. which doesn't work if you get too far from your pet and uses up mana really fast. And you think you can also cast spells on said monsters?

If you MUST have spellweaving on a tamer treasure hunter. then i suggest you do a character copy to TC of your tamer. then set your skills to the ones listed above. type in "set spellweaving 1000" (if you have any 120s you can put it in your chars backpack for the char copy) or 1200 if you have the scroll... etc.

Then go dig up a Trove map and see how well the template works out for you. Easier to do it there than on your main shard, so if you don't like it, then you can pivot your template.

======

I will say that i do agree with using Giant Beetles to do treasure chests. I mostly do Supply and Stash because I prefer to do those. But sometimes will do Cache maps when I am looking for something specific. Just because i choose not to do Hoard and Trove doesn't mean that I can't do them, i just prefer not too. 

I can tell you this, that my giant beetle took on 3 Ogre Lords and other spawn from a Supply map (maps for Zippy part) without assistance from me. 

Does it have to be a tamer character? My treasure hunter is a mystic/weaver and does pretty well without the need for skills on jewels or swapping skills on soulstones. 
    cartography 100
    Focus 80
    Lockpicking 100
    Magery 100
    Mysticism 120
    Remove Trap 100
    Spellweaving 120
    Well, my idea is to use a 5 slots fully trained Giant Blue Beetle to gather, among the rest, all items for unravelling purposes.

Yes, I know, I could recall back and get the Beetle after I have digged the chest and killed the Guardians but, for gameplay immersion, I do not feel doing the Treasure Hunt in 2 steps...

I would prefer, if possible, to do it from start to finish with the same set up...

I also do not like the idea of swapping suits which many players seem to like... a suit for fighting and then a Luck suit for the killing blow... I do not like the idea... I prefer to just have 1 suit and go through the entire ordeal with it.
    so you think you can dig up a chest while in ethereal voyage form, while using consume damage and run away from monsters (Greater Dragons come from tram and fel Trove chests) without losing consume damage. which doesn't work if you get too far from your pet and uses up mana really fast. And you think you can also cast spells on said monsters?

If you MUST have spellweaving on a tamer treasure hunter. then i suggest you do a character copy to TC of your tamer. then set your skills to the ones listed above. type in "set spellweaving 1000" (if you have any 120s you can put it in your chars backpack for the char copy) or 1200 if you have the scroll... etc.

Then go dig up a Trove map and see how well the template works out for you. Easier to do it there than on your main shard, so if you don't like it, then you can pivot your template.

======

I will say that i do agree with using Giant Beetles to do treasure chests. I mostly do Supply and Stash because I prefer to do those. But sometimes will do Cache maps when I am looking for something specific. Just because i choose not to do Hoard and Trove doesn't mean that I can't do them, i just prefer not too. 

I can tell you this, that my giant beetle took on 3 Ogre Lords and other spawn from a Supply map (maps for Zippy part) without assistance from me. 

Thank you for the advice... I have so far used the Giant Blue Beetle not yet fully trained to Greater Dragons and it can handle them, at least 1 on 1... if more spawn comes along I need to support it with more greater heals. Not tried it against 2 Greater Dragons, though, so far...