Why do people get double slayer when max damage increase in 300%?

Hello everyone,

I see some people that have dual slayer such as reptile slayer talisman, dragon slayer weapon, and DMG increase items.

It is my understanding that you can't ever get over 300% damage increase. So dragon slayer gives you 300% dmg against dragons, reptile slayer gives another 200%, damage increase items give another 100%. That is 600%.

I talked with some guild mates and said this is a waste, they told me they run many experiments and it gives you extra damage.

Anybody know the math behind this? Why does it make sense to get reptile slayer talisman when you have a dragon slayer weapon when killing dragons?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    edited January 4
    You don’t need to double up on that but you would benefit from reptile slayer + reptile slayer 
    as super slayers give double damage not triple like single slayers. 

I think super slayers is +100%, single slayer is +200%
  • KazKaz Posts: 128
    100 dmg increase from suit (cap)

100 dmg increase from super slayer (reptile, demon, undead “categories” etc)

leaves you with another 100 dmg increase to make up.  Usually this is done thru spells like enemy of one, onslaught etc.  it does cap at 300%

alternatively you can equip another super slayer or a focused slayer (ogre, orc, wind elemental, dragon etc).  Focused slayers are 200% dmg increase. 

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 528
    edited January 6
    Total Damage Cap = +300%.
    Damage Increase property on gear caps at +100%.
    Super Slayer gives +100% (Super Slayers stack with themselves if you have multiple items with it)
    Lesser Slayer gives +200%.

So with 100% DI on gear, and a Dragon Slayer (Lesser Slayer) wep, you'd hit the 300% Damage cap against creatures vulnerable to Dragon Slayer.
    With 100% DI on gear, and a Reptlie Slayer (Super Slayer) wep, you'd be at +200% Damage against Dragons (or any other creature vulnerable to Reptile Slayer). Add a Reptile Slayer Cameo on top of that, and you're at +300% damage cap against any creature vulnerable to Reptile Slayer.

Don't forget though, that Slayers have Opposing Slayer groups, in which creatures from the Opposing Slayer group will deal double attack damage (melee or ranged, but not magic other than Dragonbreath) to you. Undead - Repond. Demon - Elemental/Fey. Reptile - Arachnid.
    There's a bug with creatures that have retaliatory abilities (like the Dark Father's "Unholy Bones" or Fezzik's "Maggot Pot Throw") that actually allows you to bypass the 300% Damage cap against them using Opposing Slayers, Blood Oath, or Evil Omen on yourself. This is demonstrated in this video.

Kaz said:
    100 dmg increase from suit (cap)

100 dmg increase from super slayer (reptile, demon, undead “categories” etc)

leaves you with another 100 dmg increase to make up.  Usually this is done thru spells like enemy of one, onslaught etc.  it does cap at 300%

Onslaught does not contribute to the Damage Cap, it reduces the victim's Resist (corresponding to the weapon's damage type) by up to -20.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    edited January 6

@PlayerSkillFTW

May I ask for a clarification, please ?

You write : 
    "Super Slayer gives +100% (Super Slayers stack with themselves if you have multiple items with it)
    Lesser Slayer gives +200%."
    But, on the UOWiki at https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/slayer-property-items/

I read under the "General Facts" section :
    • Super Slayer Weapons will do double damage to the monsters they are meant for.
    • “Single Slayers” will do triple damage
    The UO Guide at https://www.uoguide.com/Slayer , within the Section "Super & Lesser Slayers" also indicates :

"Until the Stygian Abyss expansion, all Slayers did double damage to applicable monsters. However, following that expansion, Lesser Slayers do triple damage, and Super Slayers still do double damage."

So, I have not clear whether the damage from Super Slayers is +100% , or +200% as the UOWiki or the UOGuide I seem understand, indicate?

And, whether that from the Lesser (Single) Slayers, is +200% , or +300% as the UOWiki or the UOGuide I seem to understand, indicate ?

Thank you for the clarification.
    edited January 6
    What’s the confusion?
    what he and everyone said is exact same as the wiki.
    +100% is double
    +200% is triple 
    edited January 6

And, whether that from the Lesser (Single) Slayers, is +200% , or +300% as the UOWiki or the UOGuide I seem to understand, indicate ?

Doesn’t say that in either wiki, next
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    edited January 6
    Covfefe said:
    What’s the confusion?
    what he and everyone said is exact same as the wiki.
    +100% is double
    +200% is triple 
    Hmmm.... my bad, mistakengly, I was imagining "double" damage as +200% and "triple" damage as +300%...

I see now how +100% refers (adds) to the base damage done and thus becomes "double" damage and +200% also refers (adds) to the base damage done and thus becomes "triple" damage.

Thanks for making it more clear to me.

That said, considering the Damage Increase CAP of 300% damage, does this mean that a character using a Lesser (Single) Slayer be it on the weapon or on a Talisman which I understand does "triple" damage, even if they have ZERO Damage Increase on the Suit or on the Weapon, is already doing all possible +300% CAP damage ?

If so, then, when using Lesser (Single) Slayers having also Damage Increase whether on the weapon or on the suit or both, would mean property weight wasted which could be used, instead, for other properties rather then for Damage Increase...

Or, is it STILL necessary to have an "extra" +100% Damage Increase on the weapon/suit even when using a Lesser (Single) Slayer, in order to reach that +300% damage CAP ?
    edited January 7
    popps said: Hmmm.... my bad, mistakengly, I was imagining "double" damage as +200% and "triple" damage as +300%...

I see now how +100% refers (adds) to the base damage done and thus becomes "double" damage and +200% also refers (adds) to the base damage done and thus becomes "triple" damage.

Thanks for making it more clear to me.

That said, considering the Damage Increase CAP of 300% damage, does this mean that a character using a Lesser (Single) Slayer be it on the weapon or on a Talisman which I understand does "triple" damage, even if they have ZERO Damage Increase on the Suit or on the Weapon, is already doing all possible +300% CAP damage ?

If so, then, when using Lesser (Single) Slayers having also Damage Increase whether on the weapon or on the suit or both, would mean property weight wasted which could be used, instead, for other properties rather then for Damage Increase...

Or, is it STILL necessary to have an "extra" +100% Damage Increase on the weapon/suit even when using a Lesser (Single) Slayer, in order to reach that +300% damage CAP ?
    There, you just repeated your mistake.

but hey yeah you could I guess use single slayer plus super slayer and have no damage increase. Would suck against non slayer mobs though.

if you’re doing a champ spawn you prob want double super slayer +100 damage increase as then you’re hitting max damage on all mobs.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    Thanks everyone for their replies. I learned a lot.