Treasures of Feudal Lands (Shogun) Event - Recap

Now that the event is officially over I wanted to provide some feedback based on my experience.

• There were several very appealing rewards this go round. Honestly it's probably easier to list what I didn't want / get. The items I didn't get were primarily decoration / titles and the things I already had (like conjurer trinket / paroxy mount).
  • Given how many new & different items there were this time around that I wanted, I felt like the 8 week time frame was the perfect amount of time. I went away for 2 of the weekends the event was live and could only play a handful of hours during Thanksgiving week so I did end up doing the event the last couple days for a couple more drops (mainly for a few extra drops on my non-home shards). Personally, I do not think we needed any additional time but also am glad they gave us the initial extra 2 weeks.
  • The daily switching up of some of the mobs worked very well this event. I feel like they say they do this every ToT but usually outside of maybe 1 or 2 days of previous events I can never tell. I also think the mobs weren't too bad (outside of the paragon skele drags / frost beetles etc).
  • I think having it in most places around Tokuno was a good thing for lower level players and casual hunters, but I'm glad they had Winter Spur give heavy spawn for more experienced players.
  • The drop rate when hunting (in Winter Spur) without a luck potion (but hitting the luck statue) seemed a bit low but perhaps that's due to how much of a difference using a luck potion makes.
  • This was another heavily botted event due to very little change in how things worked. I can see both sides of the coin here. Obviously there is the annoyance factor where I'm playing by the rules and some other person is running around with 5+ other gargs chain AI'ing everything on screen; that certainly makes it harder to get kills. That said, on ATL where I assume it was the most prevalent, there were so many ppl that the spawn was also increased to keep up so having those bot trains actually helped to drag the paragon skele dragons etc over to them.
  • Another event where gargoyles don't really get the same love as non-garg toons. I've said this several times but it bears repeating. These events should have at least 1 item that is specifically designed for gargoyles which means it might not even have a human equivalent. The paroxy bird cannot be used by gargs so it's not like it's not already happening. Even for the items that are made into a garg item (based on humans) let's make sure it makes sense... the hammer pick for a garg isn't useful because gargs aren't hand to hand fighters (they don't get a damage reducing mount).

@Kyronix ; & @Community Manager - I think the team knocked it out of the park with the rewards this year and overall the event was something I enjoyed. I know NL is still the top priority but if we are going to get another year (2024) of the same cookie cutter ToT event, can we 1) build on the past events by improving some things 2) get them a few times a year so we have new things to do/work toward?

Comments

• These events are perfect for me. I don't play much and I am not sitting on piles and piles of gold so in these events I can play at my own pace slowly get points to earn some powerful items.

Also yes lag is annoying due to a lot of "bots".

Rewards were awesome, especially I was looking to get a nice mempo for my ninja warrior! :)

Oh and this events rewards made me consider making a melee gargoyle. Although I had only points to get kilt only, wish I'd have more points for the weapon and necklace too but oh well. I hope there'll be something similar or the same next time! :)
  • HippoHippo Posts: 280
    I had to buy drops/rewards on other shards that I play, but on Atlantic I did very well. The BOTs were annoying at first, but then I realized the size an fast respawn was due to the increase of players (BOTs) at Winter Spur.  I switched from archer and tamer to my two Spellweaver-Necro-Mages  and spammed area spells - specifically Wildfire - in the area of massed BOTs. I had no need to solo or seriously wound the paragons, merely inflicting a bit of damage earned me credit for drops.My Mystic-Thrower also did well with Undead Slayer Talisman and Spellcasting Fire glaive so he could toss RC's and cast Cleanse winds to negate curse/poison/damage.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,310
    Liked the varying levels of difficulty in the different areas.  Players could choose where to play.  Would have liked to see a 50% increase spellbook reward.  Think one of those should usually be available.  Did not find most of the rewards particularly useful to me but did pretty well selling the drops so don’t really have any complaints.  Overall liked this part of the event.  Still wondering why having  a 30% negative necro. skill would be useful unless it negates the jack of all trades humans have.
  • daricdaric Posts: 32
    Lame event with lame rewards. Original ToT event was way more fun. "Why change something what was working just fine?" 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 1
    Does anyone have a tip on how to deal with the frenzied stone elemental stun? Trapped boxes does not seem to work. Its so hard to gather a team to fight together, and solo is taking too long due to the constant stunning. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 392
    edited January 3
    my feedback:

rewards were really too powerful.  everyone likes having nice stuff, but you need a reason to play the game too.  not much reason to actually loot legendaries in normal gameplay anymore.

bot fest.   between being difficult to compete with the bots, and the prices being sooooo cheap because of bot farmers, it didnt really make sense to do the event yourself if playing 1 character.   i farmed 65 items for fun, and then bought the rest for dirt cheap from bot farmers.  i bought about 3,000 points worth of stuff for this event.   was pretty common for a farmer to get 20k points pretty easily and highest ive heard of was 75,000 turn in points.

people like cheap stuff, but it doesnt make for good gameplay for the content to not even be worth doing yourself. 

"Anti-AFK" system was a joke.   easy work arounds from bots on constant moving rails.   mostly flagged legitimate players.
  • creampiecreampie Posts: 82
    Smoot said:
    my feedback:

rewards were really too powerful.  everyone likes having nice stuff, but you need a reason to play the game too.  not much reason to actually loot legendaries in normal gameplay anymore.

bot fest.   between being difficult to compete with the bots, and the prices being sooooo cheap because of bot farmers, it didnt really make sense to do the event yourself if playing 1 character.   i farmed 65 items for fun, and then bought the rest for dirt cheap from bot farmers.  i bought about 3,000 points worth of stuff for this event.   was pretty common for a farmer to get 20k points pretty easily and highest ive heard of was 75,000 turn in points.

people like cheap stuff, but it doesnt make for good gameplay for the content to not even be worth doing yourself. 

"Anti-AFK" system was a joke.   easy work arounds from bots on constant moving rails.   mostly flagged legitimate players.
    I totally agree with you smooth they should get you ban for your multiboxing at em event and for your gold sale....im so sorry for you you coulnd t make has many cash in this event than you do with your em army archer
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 392
    creampie said:
    Smoot said:
    my feedback:

I totally agree with you smooth they should get you ban for your multiboxing at em event and for your gold sale....im so sorry for you you coulnd t make has many cash in this event than you do with your em army archer

omg friend.  im flattered but i have 3 accounts..  i apologize for making some golds happens when youve been playing a long time.   ive conquested against multiboxing, for the above reasons, for years.  if anyone has video of the 25th when i asked about the problem please post it.  its a shame that Mesanna said then a hard stance would be taken against multibox abuse but its been given a blind eye.  no real action has ever been taken.   so we live with it.  that doesnt mean the devs have to put out events that specifically feed 20 plus account bots and not bother to address the problem at all.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    @creampie are you perhaps confusing two different players?  Smoot and Smooth?
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    I wished that the Monsters did not loot the artifact drops from PCs' corpses or, at least, that only Paragons were permitted to loot them...

The non-Paragon MoBs have their decay very short in order to reduce LAG, I imagine, and this might create the problem that, if a player's character dies with artifact drops not insured, some MoB might loot them, get then killed by some other player's character and the MOBs' corpse decay taking away the looted artifact drops...

If this looting was only permitted to Paragons, since their corpses take longer to decay, this gives some time to the player's character that was looted, to get back to the Paragon's corpse and take the looted item(s) back, included the artifact drop(s) that might have been looted.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    popps said:
    I wished that the Monsters did not loot the artifact drops from PCs' corpses or, at least, that only Paragons were permitted to loot them...

The non-Paragon MoBs have their decay very short in order to reduce LAG, I imagine, and this might create the problem that, if a player's character dies with artifact drops not insured, some MoB might loot them, get then killed by some other player's character and the MOBs' corpse decay taking away the looted artifact drops...

If this looting was only permitted to Paragons, since their corpses take longer to decay, this gives some time to the player's character that was looted, to get back to the Paragon's corpse and take the looted item(s) back, included the artifact drop(s) that might have been looted.
    Popps they created an item just for you now it's not good enough?  Seriously 
    Year 2 Veteran Reward

Chalice of Pilfering Protection
    • Useable once very 24 hours to provide 2 hours of protection against monster looting
    httpsuocomwp-contentuploads201510chalicegif
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited January 3
    I thought the event was perfect.

I would like @Kyronix to talk to me, re Rewards for pure mages, and making Pure Mages viable again for the next round of events. Mage rewards always follow the same tired pattern, when there is a specific set of properties we are after also. You cater very well for warriors.

Ahh of course - only being in Trammel, killed off Felucca pvp action again, for an unknown period. It takes a long time for Felucca to recover. Back to the whole Trammel vs Felucca debate - people go where the rewards are. If you stuff Trammel full constantly of Risk Free rewards, that is where the players will be, until they get bored.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Burgess Meredith in Grumpier Old Men - Imgflip
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

That item, the Chalice of Pilfering Protection, unfortunately, is only useable once very 24 hours and provides 2 hours of protection against monster looting...

What if a player, perhaps during the weekend or whatever, can spend more then 2 hours in a day at the Spawn ?

They would only be protected for 2 hours, throughout the rest of gameplay in that 24 hours, they would not be protected against looting.

What I fail to understand, is why the non-Paragon monsters' looting cannot just be simply "turned off" and be done with it.

I find fast decay corpses Monsters' looting only annoying, and it only gives yet another advantage to those players who use some Third Party utilities which offer "auto-insurance" of items which drop in their main backpack as reward...
  • vortexvortex Posts: 202
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

That item, the Chalice of Pilfering Protection, unfortunately, is only useable once very 24 hours and provides 2 hours of protection against monster looting...

What if a player, perhaps during the weekend or whatever, can spend more then 2 hours in a day at the Spawn ?

They would only be protected for 2 hours, throughout the rest of gameplay in that 24 hours, they would not be protected against looting.

What I fail to understand, is why the non-Paragon monsters' looting cannot just be simply "turned off" and be done with it.

I find fast decay corpses Monsters' looting only annoying, and it only gives yet another advantage to those players who use some Third Party utilities which offer "auto-insurance" of items which drop in their main backpack as reward...

Really how hard is it to insure items and go to the turn in guy? How much crap you have in your backpack?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    edited January 3
    All players skill levels could participate.  Winterspur  was great for advanced players.

More players = more mobs in these events.  You could tell that mechanic was working. We had great teamwork on LS.

I wish the Tsuki Wolf Spawn was part of it.  

First event where an ABC healing archer rocked!!  

A team of them was unstoppable!

Legal disclosure:

Since every thread is about what Client you use @Mariah @Rorschach.

I played with CC and nothing else. Am I allowed to do that still?  It's really getting hard to tell.
    I played sometimes up to 3 toons at a time. 1 Banksitter, 1 Resser\Tamer or Bard, 1 Warrior Archer mostly, some macing. 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    I am unclear as to what your question is. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,310
    I play a mage mostly and did ok at both sides of this event.  The first part allowed players to choose to play in areas best suited for their templates so they could get drops.  The second event favored fighters more, but my mage still usually got a statue and a tree without getting killed that often.  I play a necro mage with spellweaving.  Pretty sure my character that just has magery would have done just as well, or at least close, but I like having having those other skills available.

Think in events a few years ago only small stuff like bandages and reagents were looted when I died.  Now looters go more for the good stuff, and a lot of times I usually can’t find them after I rez.  Personally, don’t agree with UO’s philosophy of (you can insert a three word phase here that ends with the word player) but if I am worried about it I just recall out when I get a drop, put the drop away, and recall back in.

Pawain said:
    All players skill levels could participate.  Winterspur  was great for advanced players.

More players = more mobs in these events.  You could tell that mechanic was working. We had great teamwork on LS.

I wish the Tsuki Wolf Spawn was part of it.  

First event where an ABC healing archer rocked!!  

A team of them was unstoppable!

Legal disclosure:

Since every thread is about what Client you use @ Mariah @ Rorschach.

I played with CC and nothing else. Am I allowed to do that still?  It's really getting hard to tell.
    I played sometimes up to 3 toons at a time. 1 Banksitter, 1 Resser\Tamer or Bard, 1 Warrior Archer mostly, some macing. 

LESS FILLING!! 

vortex said:
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Really how hard is it to insure items and go to the turn in guy? How much crap you have in your backpack?
    Well, personally, I find it hard...

First, like with this Event, depending on the coloring of the artifact drops, this can make them not readily visible in the darkness of the Classic Client backpack... not to mention, that some of the drops can be of a very small size making it even more difficult to be seen in the backpack, among all of the other items.

Yes, it is possible to use the insurance Menu interface which presents all items that are insurable in one's own backpack, rather then the individual item insurance but, even if transparent, it can clutter the screen and also create some problems in controlling the character in a heavy spawn area thus making it more advisable to do it in a safer place rather then where there is spawn that can possibly attack the character while taking care of insuring new drops.... 

All this, takes time and slows down the progress of working the spawn thus reducing the drop rate because, even if there are no new drops, one still has to reach a safer place, go through the various pages of the insurance Menu gump and do this every few minutes or so.... it all adds up and delays the working of the spawn and, consequentially, of the drop rate.

Frankly, I do not see the point of having fast decay corpses monsters' be permitted to loot players' characters corpses... this should be limited to only Paragons whose corpses take longer to decay thus making it possible for players to retrieve the looted artifact drops and items.
    @Pawain since you asked. If you've looked at the pages of the wiki you'd know from my screenshots that I play in EC. As I try to actively get involved in testing when a publish is on test center, I use the default UI - not much good finding a bug and then realising it's in Pinco's is it?

For this event I used an ABC archer with healing, as you did, managing to get 2 statues most times - but only after I made a fire damage, area fire, elemental slayer yumi.

popps said:
    vortex said:
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Well, personally, I find it hard...

First, like with this Event, depending on the coloring of the artifact drops, this can make them not readily visible in the darkness of the Classic Client backpack... not to mention, that some of the drops can be of a very small size making it even more difficult to be seen in the backpack, among all of the other items.

Yes, it is possible to use the insurance Menu interface which presents all items that are insurable in one's own backpack, rather then the individual item insurance but, even if transparent, it can clutter the screen and also create some problems in controlling the character in a heavy spawn area thus making it more advisable to do it in a safer place rather then where there is spawn that can possibly attack the character while taking care of insuring new drops.... 

All this, takes time and slows down the progress of working the spawn thus reducing the drop rate because, even if there are no new drops, one still has to reach a safer place, go through the various pages of the insurance Menu gump and do this every few minutes or so.... it all adds up and delays the working of the spawn and, consequentially, of the drop rate.

Frankly, I do not see the point of having fast decay corpses monsters' be permitted to loot players' characters corpses... this should be limited to only Paragons whose corpses take longer to decay thus making it possible for players to retrieve the looted artifact drops and items.

Yet the rest of us seem to have no issue with it. Personally, I use the EC to make lif easier. if you refuse tio use that, use the remedy that you yourself suggested.
    popps said:

Yes, it is possible to use the insurance Menu interface which presents all items that are insurable in one's own backpack, rather then the individual item insurance but, 
     it doesn't clutter your screen bad enough to disrupt your gameplay or get you killed, especially if you drag it over into the black area and close it there. it will open up there each time you choose to insure things.

popps said:

If the items aren't visible, change your backpack view. There are 3 alternate views, available through the 'interface' tab of your options menu, suede, polar bear or ghoul skin.

Mariah said:
    popps said:

If the items aren't visible, change your backpack view. There are 3 alternate views, available through the 'interface' tab of your options menu, suede, polar bear or ghoul skin.

I did not know that this was possible with the Classic Client, thanks for the tip !
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    Agreed, the rewards are on the powerful side, some are BIS items, which does detract from farming legendaries, but at the same time, no one would do the event if the rewards weren't worth it.

My only complaints for this past event, though I've only farmed it maybe 8 hours (very little time compared to normal) or so over the duration.

1) Third-party clients +/= Bots are the biggest issue.

2) ToT style events are becoming boring pretty rapidly.   I feel like there should be a few different styles of events that cycle throughout the year.    instead of a 2-month ToT every 4 months, break up the monotony a bit.   -the burnout is indeed the main reason I didn't farm the event as much as prior events.

That being said, I think the drop-rates overall, the change to paragon drop-rates was noticeable, and fair. I think they have the ToT style events in the sweet spot in terms of difficulty/reward (Though I'd still prefer them to be available in fel, it wasn't applicable in the Tokuno facet)

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    Since most warriors are Swords Sampires, yall don't realize other templates need mana regen.   Not all of the so called OP items had that.

I don't say something is OP unless I can put it on and remove 2 properties from other things. The armor pieces did not have luck and eaters. But since yall are used to playing with 80 stamina, ya these are OP to your simplistic swords Sampires.
    Pawain said:
    Since most warriors are Swords Sampires, yall don't realize other templates need mana regen.   Not all of the so called OP items had that.

I don't say something is OP unless I can put it on and remove 2 properties from other things. The armor pieces did not have luck and eaters. But since yall are used to playing with 80 stamina, ya these are OP to your simplistic swords Sampires.
    These items seemed kinda weak, i only got 1 mempo and the rest i got deco and pages. i thought they were kinda  Meh.

They are making us dex pieces.  Individually they are very nice.  I like how each one is a little different.  Next time we may get the legs. 

Using 2 of them help you build a decent suit without having to buy expensive pieces.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 209
    edited January 5
    Overall, thought this was a decent event.   In terms of drop numbers, I was averaging 50-60 drops each night the first month of the event. Generally playing in the Winter Spur icy area, using a sampire with 800ish luck, always using a potion of glorious fortune.   Play time was generally later in the evening (after midnight EST) on Atlantic.   Later on in the event, the variation of the number of drops I would get widened where by some evening I would get 35-40 drops, and other nights I would eclipse 70.   8 week time frame was perfect – a month would have been too short, any more would have been too long.         

While I mostly played my sampire, I had some success mixing it up with archers, throwers and my paladin.  Generally did best with sampire, but definitely competitive on my archer as well.  No scripts needed in order to have fun.  However, there were a few nights where competing with the bots made it really quite difficult to play on a ranged character and do well since the bots would cover quite a bit of territory.        

The spawn was fun and challenging.  However, the general openness of the ice area is what led to the bot problem at this event being significantly worse than others.  I’ve never seen so many bot trains.  They would camp multiple spots.  Worse yet, there were a few nights when trolls were blocking entrances by dropping hundreds of impassable items in front of the caves… and then randomly casting gates that would lead to dungeons where there would be an instant death (usually Covetous).   While trolling and that type of negative activity has always been present in this game, this event saw it in a way where it was organized to really give honest players a hard time.  This generally was at its worst during the middle of the event but died down the last few weeks.  Devs still need to come up with a better answer for this.       

My main gripe, as I venting during the testing phase, was with the couple rewards that were OP.   Two items in particular, the mempo and the warrior gloves, were way over powered.   These items basically are going to negate the years of work others have put in to get decent items in those slots.   Yeah sure, I see new players say “oh this is great I can finally get something nice very quickly ”, isn’t particularly what veteran players who have put in the work of running Exodus, the Roof and other content want to hear.   While it may have been good idea for short term, I think it does more harm than good in the long term. “Penny wise, but pound foolish” I believe is the old phrase?   I fully understand there is a delicate balance here and the developers obviously want to make rewards lists worth while for participation, but I maintain those two items in particular are really quite imbalanced versus what you can get from the loot table. 

That aside, the rewards list of this event was probably one of the better ones. Included good mix (Deco, titles, lore pages, weapons, gear), some nice items in slots that needed some love like the sashes and cloaks.  Gave a lot for collectors to go after.  I especially like the concept of the sash and cloak having randomized stat and eater.  That was a nice change up.