"You may not loot this corse" within one's own account characters on Trammel ? Excuse me ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,950
edited December 2023 in General Discussions
How many things characters within one's own same account can share ?

Lots.

Yet, a character from one's own account cannot loot the corpse of another character from one's own account on Trammel ?

Why is this forbidden when they are ALL characters from the same account thus, controlled by the same player ?

I do not get it.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Why would you want to do this? Put them in the same guild or party and set to loot?

Undertakers staff will solve your problems.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Pawain said:
    Why would you want to do this? Put them in the same guild or party and set to loot?

Undertakers staff will solve your problems.
    That is not the point...

The point is, that I fail to understand why there is a limitation for a character in Trammel to be able to loot the corpse of another character on the same one account...

Same player, same account, yet, cannot loot. I just do not understand it.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Let me see if I can get this straight:

Popps: I want to do something that doesn't make sense.
    Pawain: Not sure why you'd want to do that but there are some solutions...
    Popps: That's not the point, I want to do it exactly as I said and don't understand why I can't.

The answer is the same is it always is Popps. This is UO and that's how it was designed. If you don't like the way it's designed then build a free shard and play your own game your own way.

...and let the 30+ post pointless thread begin.

edited December 2023
    keven2002 said:
    Let me see if I can get this straight:

Popps: I want to do something that doesn't make sense.
    Pawain: Not sure why you'd want to do that but there are some solutions...
    Popps: That's not the point, I want to do it exactly as I said and don't understand why I can't.

The answer is the same is it always is Popps. This is UO and that's how it was designed. If you don't like the way it's designed then build a free shard and play your own game your own way.

...and let the 30+ post pointless thread begin.

I just do not understand why characters from within the same exact account are allowed to share lots of things in the game but cannot loot one's another corpse in Trammel.

I just do not get the logic behind blocking a character to be able to loot the corpse of another character in Trammel from within the same exact account.

It cannot be for security, because the account is the same, used by the same player who can use the character that died, after resurrecting the ghost, to loot that corpse rather then using another character on the same account, so, why was this limitation imposed ?

I just do not understand it, I was curiuos to know for what reason it was prohibited to a player to loot one's own character's corpse in Trammel with another character from that same exact account since I cannot seem to be able to think about a reason that would make sense to implement such a limitation to a player's account.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I don't know, but I would guess because the default setting for looting another character's corpse is 'no'. 
    No one expected that you would log off the dead character and log in another to loot it rather than resurrect and loot, so the default setting applies.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    edited December 2023
    ??  You can only play one character at a time.  How do you loot your own corpse?  I gather all my belongings all the time.  Sorry, read it a little closer.  Seems like logging off would be taking a pretty big risk.  Does not surprise me though you can’t loot.  Characters on the same account are generally independent of one another in most respects when it comes to turning in drops.
    edited December 2023
    Mariah said:
    I don't know, but I would guess because the default setting for looting another character's corpse is 'no'. 
    No one expected that you would log off the dead character and log in another to loot it rather than resurrect and loot, so the default setting applies.
    I guess this could be a possible explaination.... although, there could be possible scenarios where a player might want to use a different character to retrieve the items from one's' own account character's corpse (withough using the undertaker staff, that is....).

For example, say that a character is not fit for getting into a dangerous place, mistakengly recalls off of a rune and gets killed right away by the spawn there.... resurrecting with that character would be pointless because the spawn would kill the character again and again some more when trying to get back to the corpse...

Yes, calling up for help could be a possibility, while the help deals with the spawn the weak character goes back to the corpse to retrieve the belongings that were not insured...

But this could happen at a time where no help might be available.....

If the player could just log in with another character on that same account, more fit for combat, get there and loot that other character's corpse because being on the same account, the problem would be solved without having to use an undertaker staff.

Furthermore, the undertaker staff is only a recent item, UO exists since 1997.... I wonder why, when Trammel was created, it was not given the ability to characters on the same one account to loot the corpses of the other characters on that same account.
    I suppose because in 26 years of play no one else found it necessary, so it wasn't asked for.

Most things that are not insured are fairly easily replaced, so most players would simply accept the loss and re-equip. Though I admit when I've done that there's always been something I forgot until I tried to use it and it wasn't there.

My characters that cannot fight in dangerous places don't have runes to such places to accidentally recall on, so that example is not valid for me.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Arnold7 said:
    ??  You can only play one character at a time.  How do you loot your own corpse?  I gather all my belongings all the time.  Sorry, read it a little closer.  Seems like logging off would be taking a pretty big risk.  Does not surprise me though you can’t loot.  Characters on the same account are generally independent of one another in most respects when it comes to turning in drops.
    Yes. The risk is the first think I thought about.  I can't count how many times I have been killed and brought another account online to res them but promptly die, then bring another to die. So now I have 3 guys that need a res. 

He wants to add guys on the same account to that mess.  Not a great idea.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    I think what this comes down to is.

there are very few things that consider your account as a global entity.

the majority of things consider each character as individuals.

A question. Do you rez the dead character and transport it to a safe location, or do you log off dead where it is and wait the 5 minutes before you can log in another character on that account. There is a finite time before the corpse disappears.
    Mariah said:
    A question. Do you rez the dead character and transport it to a safe location, or do you log off dead where it is and wait the 5 minutes before you can log in another character on that account. There is a finite time before the corpse disappears.
    If the character is a weak one, I just walk away with the ghost and res it somewhere else that is safe. To retrieve the not insured staff I use the Undertaker Staff in case this happens.

I was wondering whether, to save up on the Undertaker Staff charges, I could just go loot the corpse with another character on the account that can handle the spawn.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    edited December 2023
     :D 
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    Even a weak character can get "Sacrifice" so they can move to a safe location and self res. with all of your stuff.

• So this whole thread is because you want the DEV's to do a bunch of re-coding to the game, potentially introducing game breaking bugs, just so you can can retrieve a bunch of useless pixels and try to save a charge or two on your undertakers staff and avoid training sacrifice. That about sum it up? @Mariah can we lock this F**king useless thread please?
    Tim said:
    Even a weak character can get "Sacrifice" so they can move to a safe location and self res. with all of your stuff.

Really ?

In order to gain the Sacrifice Virtue, a character needs to kill Monsters, accumulate fame, and then sacrifice this fame to a Monster....

If the character is a weak one, even to reach level 1 to be able to resurrect only once per week, it would take quite a while to get there killing mongbats, I imagine....
    If the character is a weak one, don't take it into situations it can not survive in!
    If the body decays, only uninsurable items are lost, all of which are easily replaced. I think this 'discussion topic' has reached its logical conclusion
This discussion has been closed.