Skill gain in NL

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    dvvid said:
    McDougle said:
    Less than a year until 25th anniversary if they don't have solid details by now ...
    They said it’s going to be ready this year. Why not just wait and see?
    We should not ask questions? Which allows us to offer suggestions?? We have zero input? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 2022
    Pawain said:
    How is someone directing you to a point in a UO video making us have to rely on a third party site? You can't understand the original without help?
    How about converting all operating manuals, FAQs, etc into hour long videos. And we have to go through the full hour of talking just to find one piece of information that was mentioned in like 10 seconds.

Imagine all the blogs, walkthroughs are all only in videos. How do you search for a specific answer in a video if there is no time stamp? Why not delete this entire forums and everybody will now post their via video chat. Try to find any piece of info good luck.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Pawain said:
    They don't need you two to return to UO. You are already here.
    They better think about how to keep us here or there will be no one around soon.
    edited January 2022
    popps said:
    Seth said:
    Arnold7 said:
    Where are the citations?  Thanks.
    From the official page:
    https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard.  At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.  Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

=== 
    Is the only official written memo above? Then it did not state clearly if the character with same skills and stats can be reborn in the next season.

But it was mentioned in a so-called "citation"112. https://youtu.be/vc6cm10hPPQ?t=885 which links to the exact timestamp this was mentioned by the Dev in their video. 

As always, we need to rely on 3rd party websites for the information, such as uoguide and uo-cah. If they are closed one day, we are no longer getting full information from uo.com. Sigh...

~shrugs~

At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.

Keep in mind though, that, to my understanding, there will not be Scrolls of Power on the New Legacy Shard so, the most that players will be able to raise up skills will be 100.0.And only up to those, they will be able to transfer to a Production Shard.

And I am assuming, the same for Stats which it means that the New Legacy Shard characters will at most end up with the Base total stats of 225 (or is it 230 ?).
    Well, thanks for confirming the confusion. One says transfer of character which is what I read long ago from uo.com and then now a time stamp from the long video that mentioned skills can be reused again. Maybe we can transfer the character from production back to the new season every year, or could we transfer other production shard characters too?

Transfer out to production and then reuse the skill again in NLS. I thought NLS is a different system.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,911
    edited January 2022
    Seth said:

Well, thanks for confirming the confusion. One says transfer of character which is what I read long ago from uo.com and then now a time stamp from the long video that mentioned skills can be reused again. Maybe we can transfer the character from production back to the new season every year, or could we transfer other production shard characters too?

Transfer out to production and then reuse the skill again in NLS. I thought NLS is a different system.
    They changed their minds. Probably someone whined that they would have no skills each season.

But that is the point of season play. Start over each season.

The devs need to look at the games where the majority of players play seasons.  Starting fresh is one of the fun parts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,186
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:

They changed their minds. Probably someone whined that they would have no skills each season.

But that is the point of season play. Start over each season.

The devs need to look at the games where the majority of players play seasons.  Starting fresh is one of the fun parts.
    I got the impression that if you did not xfer you got to keep your skills but if you xfered then you start over.

Hopefully they will come out with some diffident answers before launch.  Looking forward to playing as a 7xGM with armor I made again.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,059
    edited January 2022
    My understanding is that skill gain wouldn't be nearly the boring grind it has been in the past (at least based on my memory from one of the Dev chats).

I just finished up poisoning on my second account and yikes! There is virtually no chance anyone would want to be an assassin type character (100 poison) every season if they had to raise it like we do on Prod shards currently (especially without the help of blue / pink scrolls).

I think having returning skills defeats the purpose of a "seasonal shard" but in order to start from scratch each season the Devs will need to make skill building fresh/engaging and not the same old grind. 

Can that be done? Who knows.
    UO has survived because of continuity because we know our houses and things are always here a one and done shard will never fly...
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    McDougle said:
    dvvid said:
    McDougle said:
    Less than a year until 25th anniversary if they don't have solid details by now ...
    They said it’s going to be ready this year. Why not just wait and see?
    We should not ask questions? Which allows us to offer suggestions?? We have zero input? 
    People have been asking questions and some answers have been provided. The hangouts have some question and answer time. 

I don’t think they need the entire player base who all have wildly differing opinions offering feedback to the devs ideas so much at this time especially considering ideas and plans change over time anyway. I can picture a 90 page thread of people arguing with each other about what the shard should be, which wouldnt be productive at all. It’s their game. They will make it how they want. We offer feedback once it is out, which makes sense to me. 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    McDougle said:
    UO has survived because of continuity because we know our houses and things are always here a one and done shard will never fly...
    They are trying something different. A classic like Ultima game taking place in the Ultima Online engine. It’s an interesting concept. I’m into it. 

You don’t need to win items in a game to enjoy the experience.  I get why UO players might have a hard time with this idea though. I think we just need to wait and see how what we think once it is here. 
    Offering feedback after is like closing the barn door after the horse is out...
    edited January 2022
    Pawain said:
    Are there other mmorpg examples that is designed like NLS and has proven to be successful?
    Or are we the pioneer of another first in mmorpg to do this. 

I still think it’s a bad idea to split a “Train” that is only 10% full into 2 separate Trains. 
    And the 2nd Train is a legacy design, not as if it’s a Ultima Online 2022 with ultra modern graphics, design and marketing to attract the younger players from other games including mobile games.

We will find out if it will end up as a white elephant in subsequent years, and at the expense of splitting current uo population into 2 different platforms. More ghost town.
    To further divide things maybe they should only allow playing on a third client called "Enhanced Classic Client"...  >:)
    I'm going to say it again UO has lasted this long because of continuity the home you placed in 99 is still there with your things that's the draw end of story. 
    edited January 2022
    It would have been more innovative if they design a mobile UO game that is seasonal and the rewards can be ported to the desktop production shard at the end of each year.

In this way, they market to new generation of young players and draw them to collect and place their trophies in production shard.

Spending 2 years just to make another legacy server to compete and cannibalise current small population with no plans to attract new players… does not seem like a good plan. It sounds more like those personal project to create private shards with different ruleset. How many uo players are still around but on other “servers”.
    edited January 2022
    Don’t complain about graphics, if my kids are drawn to the pixelated horrible looking Minecraft I think UO is super OK. What it lacks is some creative minds to create a hype to make UO great again.
    Seth said:
    Pawain said:
    Are there other mmorpg examples that is designed like NLS and has proven to be successful?
    Or are we the pioneer of another first in mmorpg to do this. 

I still think it’s a bad idea to split a “Train” that is only 10% full into 2 separate Trains. 
    And the 2nd Train is a legacy design, not as if it’s a Ultima Online 2022 with ultra modern graphics, design and marketing to attract the younger players from other games including mobile games.

We will find out if it will end up as a white elephant in subsequent years, and at the expense of splitting current uo population into 2 different platforms. More ghost town.
    Diablo has been doing it for years.  The Majority of Diablo III players play in seasons.
    Many games have some version of Iron Man where you begin a toon and when it dies it is dead forever.  Many people find starting over is fun.  UO players are behind.

UO stopped being a pioneer 20 years ago.
    McDougle said:
    I'm going to say it again UO has lasted this long because of continuity the home you placed in 99 is still there with your things that's the draw end of story. 
    WOW You do understand that UO is still the same, they are just offering us a different type shard to play on, if you don't like it don't play it.  Your little house is still there waiting for you.  The way you rant and rave about this you must think all of UO is going this way.
    McDougle said:
    WOW You do understand that UO is still the same, they are just offering us a different type shard to play on, if you don't like it don't play it.  Your little house is still there waiting for you.  The way you rant and rave about this you must think all of UO is going this way.
    I understand exactly what is happening our small development team is working on something I feel is doomed i understand others think it's the cat's meow we should all be allowed to have opinions and Express them 
    edited January 2022
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    I understand exactly what is happening our small development team is working on something I feel is doomed i understand others think it's the cat's meow we should all be allowed to have opinions and Express them 
    Everybody has been asking for a classic shard for forever and when they agree to do it alls you do is preach doom and gloom about something that isn't even in the game yet and will NOT hurt UO in any way and I am not saying it is the cat's meow but at least I have an open mind about it and it might be fun to play UO without needing a damn spreadsheet just to play.
    This is not a classic shard according to them remember they swore to never make one remember? as i asked another user will you be not getting gear for lord frodo on your home shard for a year?? 
    edited January 2022
    The most entertaining thing about this thread is that people are talking (good and bad) about a shard that has almost no details finalized, then start to debate others based on their assumptions, and then get their feelings hurt.

:D :D :D  

I think we will need to take a wait and see approach on this shard. I'm hoping it's worthwhile but who knows; even if it's exactly what UO was 20 years ago who knows if anyone would find that entertaining today. I read it somewhere (it might have been @Stinky_Pete) that people are likely in love with the idea of an NL type shard based on the memories they have/made when playing the game like it was back then and not necessarily in love with how things worked. I think this has a good chance of being true. 

The one thing I would agree with @McDougle is about resources. UO has a tiny DEV team so putting all hands on deck for NL means that PROD shards will lose a good amount of attention. If NL is popular and doesn't have a ton of issues then that's a huge win. If it's not popular or has a ton of bugs that's going to bring out all of the "I told you so" critics.
    Well Blizzard with Diablo and UO began around the same.  One of these companies is about to sell for 68.7 Billion.
    Pawain said:
    Well Blizzard with Diablo and UO began around the same.  One of these companies is about to sell for 68.7 Billion.
    Can you show me your house in diablo? They are nothing alike 
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    You loot armor and kill stuff in both.  Maybe housing is not worth Billions.
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    You loot armor and kill stuff in both.  Maybe housing is not worth Billions.
    Vastly different but diablo is very successful maybe pour some of those billions into UO 
    Assuming NLS is too successful and popular, and no marketing to attract new players, it means less players on prodo shard. It’s a good job, well done job for diluting players on production shard.

Once it’s so successful like Diablo, there is no reason to pay monthly fees to keep housing because that is no longer attractive and fun. Since other games show that they have more players without housing, it’s not the main attraction. 

• keven2002 said:
    To further divide things maybe they should only allow playing on a third client called "Enhanced Classic Client"...  >:)
    Classic Enhaned!!
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

keven2002 said:
    Classic Enhaned!!
    Enhassic Client!!
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Classic Enhaned!!
    Enhassic Client!!
    Classically Enhancedly Client Supreme!!!