On Classic Client install process, 2 files 63+36 MB takes 90% of the download/install time.

BasaraBasara Posts: 160
edited April 2018 in Bugs
I deleted and reinstalled the Classic Client on this backup laptop that I normally use 1-2 weeks a year when on trips.

The first 1192 MB of the client installs in 3 or 4 minutes, over a g-class connection.

Then, it hit artLegacyMUL.uop - a file that is only 63MB.
It has taken over 35 minutes to install this file, running at something ranging from 1 to 1.5 MB per MINUTE, after averaging 300 to 400 MB per minute for the files prior.

the next file, gumpartLegacyMUL.uop , is 36 MB, and while it doesn't run as slow, still only took 4 minutes to download  (30-40 times slower that the majority of the download, but still about 6-8 times faster than artLegacyMUL.uop ).

The map files after, 2-16+ MB each, take a total of SECONDS to download the combined remaining 81 MB).

Why is 99-100 MB of a 1373 MB (roughly 7% of the total) install taking 90% of the install time? And, even of that 99 MB in 40 minutes, a file that's roughly 1/3 takes 10% of the time, while the other 2/3 takes 90%?

Surely something can be done to fix this, as a person coming back for Endless Journey might well assume that an install that was 70% done in 5 minutes, that takes another 30-40 minutes to get 90% done, is broken and will abort both the download and any plans to try the game again (or for the first time).

Comments

  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    You should have been here when we were on 56K dial-ups you were lucky to get it done so you could play that day.  Mostly we started and went to bed so we could play the next day.
  • FatFat Posts: 97
    Bilbo said:
    You should have been here when we were on 56K dial-ups you were lucky to get it done so you could play that day.  Mostly we started and went to bed so we could play the next day.

    There was nothing more frustrating than letting the patcher run over night just to find out you were disconnected about 20 mins after you fell asleep
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 160
    Bilbo said:
    You should have been here when we were on 56K dial-ups you were lucky to get it done so you could play that day.  Mostly we started and went to bed so we could play the next day.
    You mean like it was when I started playing? I didn't get broadband until about 5 years into playing.

    But, why 2 small parts of a much greater install should take 100x the time of the rest, should be an indication of a problem somewhere.

    I remember even on dial-up, certain parts of the download taking far longer than similar-sized parts in the rest.
Sign In or Register to comment.