The real problem with Paras

2»

Comments

  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,233
    Morgoth said:
    That's great that you got lots of players to group up with but our shared isn't very populated so it's not easy to get a large posse of like minded players to share the kills.

    I'm glad the Devs have made you above average players happy with this gameplay and that you are rewarded as you are so justly deserved.
    Don't kill plain Balrons and paragons wont spawn.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 13
    Yup do that already... But others do kill them... So watcha gunna do?

    I solo the paras at the entrance when I find them there... No one helps... I die lots but eventually that annoyance is gone.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,237
    Morgoth said:
    That's great that you got lots of players to group up with but our shared isn't very populated so it's not easy to get a large posse of like minded players to share the kills.

    I'm glad the Devs have made you above average players happy with this gameplay and that you are rewarded as you are so justly deserved.
    What shard do you play? If it isn't very populated then I'd guess there is probably plenty of times that whole sections of the dungeon are empty. Another tactic is to just lead a paragon down like the west side of a level and just kill stuff on the east. Again if you don't have a very populated of a shard I'd imagine that it would stay there for a while to let you kill other stuff.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 13
    I'm on Oceania.  Tonight actually wasn't bad as I had the 1st floor to myself and led a plain balron into a room.  The others and para versions were already in other rooms so I just ran around trouble free for about 3 hours, got my 18 drops to get the chest when another player came in and started clearing out the rooms messing everything up.

    I gave up and ended up helping a returning player get setup after a 6 year break.

  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2021
    Sometimes there is not enough players to help kill the Balron Paras, so I either moved or ignore them.

    1) I lure them into another small room, then recall away. Then I recall back to the previous location and enjoy slaughtering huge group of mobs. 

    2) If I cannot lure because there is no door, then I honor myself before going into the room. So I kill everything besides the Balron Para, just making sure I do not accidentally hit this guy.

    Tools required:
    - Samurai bushido honor
    - Protection spell on always


    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,701
    keven2002 said:
    There is incentive to kill Para's as mentioned by Kyronix like 3 events ago when people were complaining about the same thing; the paragons give "more points" ie provide increased chance at popping a drop. 

    Start working better as a team to work the dungeon or stop killing the balrons. 

    I'm wondering if any of the people complaining about how difficult paragons are would be the same people complaining about every shard should get the event in fel for "the added difficulty of doing it in fel". Which is it? Does the event need to be easier or harder? lol
    having it in fel, actually made it easier
    because then the ones who kill quicker
    are there instead of killing everything here
    you don't know how disappointing it is
    to open a door to go attack something
    and someone else comes charging in
    with a swing they take down everything
    before my pet can blink

  • poppspopps Posts: 3,974
    edited October 2021
    keven2002 said:
    There is incentive to kill Para's as mentioned by Kyronix like 3 events ago when people were complaining about the same thing; the paragons give "more points" ie provide increased chance at popping a drop. 

    Start working better as a team to work the dungeon or stop killing the balrons. 

    I'm wondering if any of the people complaining about how difficult paragons are would be the same people complaining about every shard should get the event in fel for "the added difficulty of doing it in fel". Which is it? Does the event need to be easier or harder? lol
    having it in fel, actually made it easier
    because then the ones who kill quicker
    are there instead of killing everything here
    you don't know how disappointing it is
    to open a door to go attack something
    and someone else comes charging in
    with a swing they take down everything
    before my pet can blink

    .....you don't know how disappointing it is
    to open a door to go attack something
    and someone else comes charging in
    with a swing they take down everything
    before my pet can blink.....

    Tell it to Ultima Online's Developers ( @Kyronix ? )  when, Treasures of Event after Treasures of Event, still Tamers (as well as other Templates), are not given "something" to be able to be "on par" with these "Swingers' Templates" and compete with their speed at killing everything....

    The other issue there, which, to my opinion, is overlooked, is that the "cost" of these Rewards is usually prohibitive or at least very penalizing for those Templates, other then these "Swingers", who are unable to kill "as fast" and, thus, have a much lower drop rate....

    Because of this imbalance in how different is the drop rate for different Templates to get Treasures of Artifact drops, the Developers have the problem that, if they set the Rewards' cost too low to help out those Templates who cannot get drops as fast as these "Swingers", then these "Swingers" who get drops a go-go (I heard of someone on Atlantic who is able, with the Store bought potion, to have 60 drops in 1 hour....), would be able to get tons of these Rewards.

    On the other end, if the Rewards' cost is set as high, to take into account the "speed" for these "Swingers" to get drops, then, other Templates who cannot get even close to these "Swingers" drop rate, would have it an impossible task to get any of the better Rewards.

    So, what would the solution need to be, to address this gross imbalance ?

    To my opinion, it would be one that would bring Templates "other" then these "Swingers", to be able to kill "as fast" and, therefore, be able to reach a similar drop rate as "Swingers" do, to get these Treasures of Artifact drops.

    Or, code in "special" bonuses for skill sets to have a higher likeliness to get Treasures of Artifact drops...

    For example, a Template that was to use 360 points in Taming skills (120Taming, Vet and Lore) and use Animal Taming Mastery, would be given a "bonus" in their likeliness to get a Treasures of Artifact drop when their pet would get looting rights regardless of the Luck worn...

    This way, even if Tamers were to kill much less as these "Swingers", those much fewer kills would still yield them the same amount of drops per hour of gameplay as the "Swingers" get...


  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Yet you posted a picture of your sampire with a demon breastplate we all have the same chances here..i CHOOSE to play my Bard sometimes because i enjoy it i get a couple drops and help others then I eat a potion on my thrower and get as many arties as the sampires (without a swampy damage reduction cuz f gargoyles) 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,974
    edited October 2021
    McDougle said:
    Yet you posted a picture of your sampire with a demon breastplate we all have the same chances here..i CHOOSE to play my Bard sometimes because i enjoy it i get a couple drops and help others then I eat a potion on my thrower and get as many arties as the sampires (without a swampy damage reduction cuz f gargoyles) 
    I HAD TO make a "Swinger".

    I did not want to, but, because of Design decision which favour these Swingers and penalize other Templates who cannot even get close to these "Swingers" ability to get drops, I saw myself without much alternatives, if I wanted to get some of those Rewards....

    But I do not like it.

    I would like to play a Tamer, yet, if the Design does not help Tamers to get drops, and helps "Swingers", what can I do ?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    No you CHOSE to make one i saw you got a wildfire mask with your tamer so you a capable. you just want more faster keeping up with the jones so to speak..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,974
    McDougle said:
    No you CHOSE to make one i saw you got a wildfire mask with your tamer so you a capable. you just want more faster keeping up with the jones so to speak..
    Did I want to have a "decent" chance to be able to get some of the better Rewards ?

    Yes.

    Could I do it with my Tamer and the current Design which penalizes Tamers and favours "Swingers" ?

    No.

    Therefore, since I wanted to get some of the better Rewards, because of the current Design which favours Swingers and penalizes other Templates, I HAD TO make a Swinger.

    It was NOT a choice, it was the only realistic possibility I had to be able to get some of the better Rewards, given how expensive their cost was set.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,233
    So the template that is constantly involved with playing by having to push buttons and move around is getting the most drops.  Sounds fair to me.  All Kill stand still should get fewer drops per/time.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pawain said:
    So the template that is constantly involved with playing by having to push buttons and move around is getting the most drops.  Sounds fair to me.  All Kill stand still should get fewer drops per/time.
    Paddy cakes why do you insist on silly statements playing a tamer is actually harder in these events....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • vortexvortex Posts: 206
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    Yet you posted a picture of your sampire with a demon breastplate we all have the same chances here..i CHOOSE to play my Bard sometimes because i enjoy it i get a couple drops and help others then I eat a potion on my thrower and get as many arties as the sampires (without a swampy damage reduction cuz f gargoyles) 
    I HAD TO make a "Swinger".

    I did not want to, but, because of Design decision which favour these Swingers and penalize other Templates who cannot even get close to these "Swingers" ability to get drops, I saw myself without much alternatives, if I wanted to get some of those Rewards....

    But I do not like it.

    I would like to play a Tamer, yet, if the Design does not help Tamers to get drops, and helps "Swingers", what can I do ?
    The wife and me are swingers too... Swing by sometime....
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    vortex said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    Yet you posted a picture of your sampire with a demon breastplate we all have the same chances here..i CHOOSE to play my Bard sometimes because i enjoy it i get a couple drops and help others then I eat a potion on my thrower and get as many arties as the sampires (without a swampy damage reduction cuz f gargoyles) 
    I HAD TO make a "Swinger".

    I did not want to, but, because of Design decision which favour these Swingers and penalize other Templates who cannot even get close to these "Swingers" ability to get drops, I saw myself without much alternatives, if I wanted to get some of those Rewards....

    But I do not like it.

    I would like to play a Tamer, yet, if the Design does not help Tamers to get drops, and helps "Swingers", what can I do ?
    The wife and me are swingers too... Swing by sometime....
    I'd like this if I could  :D
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,335
    I don’t play on Atlantic so I can’t comment on the accuracy ray drop rates I read about in this forum but I don’t know of anyone getting a drop rate of anything close to 60 drops per hour on my shard and i play with really good players that have been playing for years.  Is it realistic to assume some players are getting 60 drops per hour or close to it?  I see players with pets that can kill any para in the game but I don’t think even their drop rate is close to 60 drops per hour.
    also, what is a swinger?  Referring here to Ultima Online in game swingers just to clarify.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,233
    edited October 2021
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    So the template that is constantly involved with playing by having to push buttons and move around is getting the most drops.  Sounds fair to me.  All Kill stand still should get fewer drops per/time.
    Paddy cakes why do you insist on silly statements playing a tamer is actually harder in these events....
    Harder no. But on LS we have a lot of spawn and a pet cant kill 5 at a time like a toon with WW can.  I know what Cinderella speaks of. whoever is fastest with the WW gets the kills.  I'm that guy that kills what is in front of a pet and leaves an empty hall for them to walk down.

    I have 2 tamers on every day.  Great for killing those annoying para Balrons.

    Knowledge of UO would benefit you immensely.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    So the template that is constantly involved with playing by having to push buttons and move around is getting the most drops.  Sounds fair to me.  All Kill stand still should get fewer drops per/time.
    Paddy cakes why do you insist on silly statements playing a tamer is actually harder in these events....
    Harder no. But on LS we have a lot of spawn and a pet cant kill 5 at a time like a toon with WW can.  I know what Cinderella speaks of. whoever is fastest with the WW gets the kills.  I'm that guy that kills what is in front of a pet and leaves an empty hall for them to walk down.

    I have 2 tamers on every day.  Great for killing those annoying para Balrons.

    Knowledge of UO would benefit you immensely.
    Oh paddy cakes you're my favorite arch nemesis i hear by dub you by your new arch nemesis name the Twister
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • popps said:
    I HAD TO make a "Swinger".

    You name him "Austin Powers"? Groovy, baby. Shagadelic.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,974
    edited October 2021
    Arnold7 said:
    I don’t play on Atlantic so I can’t comment on the accuracy ray drop rates I read about in this forum but I don’t know of anyone getting a drop rate of anything close to 60 drops per hour on my shard and i play with really good players that have been playing for years.  Is it realistic to assume some players are getting 60 drops per hour or close to it?  I see players with pets that can kill any para in the game but I don’t think even their drop rate is close to 60 drops per hour.
    also, what is a swinger?  Referring here to Ultima Online in game swingers just to clarify.
    Warriors who "swing" their weapons to hit their target or, often, multiple targets at once....

    I used that word in reply to @Cinderella who wrote

    .....you don't know how disappointing it is
    to open a door to go attack something
    and someone else comes charging in
    with a swing they take down everything
    before my pet can blink.....
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,233
    edited October 2021
    @popps maybe use the word Melee attack?  Or you could even use the correct special move, since they hit more than 2 mobs that would be a Whirlwind attack. Since you said you built a warrior you should know what you are doing.  Love to see that guy in action. What type  pointy stick does he use?  Broom or shovel handle?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Keep in mind popps has earned a demon breastplate with his sampire 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Poops still trollin in here? guess i'll keep . . .

    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 509Moderator
    ... and then the conversation turned.
This discussion has been closed.