Classic Client - Impossible to have character specific macros

ZhagstenZhagsten Posts: 4
Hello,

My client was crashing on exit, reseting my desktop arrangement, so I followed the instructions in the pinned message. I finally figured out that the file with the macro registered (macros2d.txt) was responsible for the crash.

I've put back my settings for all my characters except that macro file. The client works, doesn't crash anymore, save my preferences,etc.

The problem is now when I record my macros again, it doesn't create a file per character. I don't know where the macros are saved, but now the newly recorded macros are for all characters. If I try to replace one, it replace it for all characters.

How can I have different macros for each characters like before?

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    The path for saved character info is:C:\Users\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\account name\shard\character name.

(may vary a little depending on your system and the age of the install)

The only problem I am aware of is when multiple characters share the same name.

• ZhagstenZhagsten Posts: 4
    That is indeed where the files for each character are, which I backed up. That's where I found the macros2d.txt file which was causing the crash on log out.

I cannot put that file back or it crashes. If I record my macros again, it doesn't recreate a macros2d.txt file in the character folder. Instead, the macro is saved for all characters (I don't know where).

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    if I do a search of my hard drive for macros2d.txt (windows key + s) it finds several instances, one in each of my char's file folders. Where does it find yours?

You could try checking the box 'perform full file check' on the log in screen. If you have a corrupted client file that is preventing the file being created, that might help.

Also check on the 'interface' tab of your options menu that you don't have 'use default desktop' checked.https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/classic-client-user-guide/classic-client-options-menu/

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Try running client.exe in admin mode (check the box to always run in admin mode)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited July 2021
    There was a macros2d.txt file in each of my characters folders. But if I leave it there, the client crashes on log out and reset the UI. So I made a backup and removed them. My character folders don't have a macros2d.txt file anymore. That way client doesn't crash anymore, I keep my UI preferences.

I've done a full file check, but it didn't help.

I unchecked the "use default desktop" option for all my characters. The macros I make, modify or delete are still shared among all my characters and no macros2d.txt file is created.

I also tried to create an empty macros2d.txt file and placed it in a character folder. Even empty, it makes the client crash on log out and reset the UI.

Edit: I have found where the macros are saved. The macros2d.txt is in the install folder of the client. I tried deleting it, but when I add a new macro, it recreates the macros2d.txt file in the install folder instead of the character folder.
    edited July 2021
    "you're sure you're definitely running in admin mode?, you know what i think this might be, 
    are you running a third party anti-virus program? if so, try uninstalling it"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Thank you for helping me through this!

It happens to have something to do with the antivirus. So I added the UO install folder to exceptions and now everything works properly.

But please do not tell people to uninstall their antivirus. That is a very wrong thing to do.
    edited July 2021
    "i did specify third party antivirus, windows has it's own built in antivirus which is only disabled when you install the less effective third party ones" 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Yoshi said:
    "i did specify third party antivirus, windows has it's own built in antivirus which is only disabled when you install the less effective third party ones" 
    With a good 3rd party anti-virus you can also run windows 10 anti-virus.  Double protection.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Zhagsten said:

It happens to have something to do with the antivirus. So I added the UO install folder to exceptions and now everything works properly.

But please do not tell people to uninstall their antivirus. That is a very wrong thing to do.
    If an antivirus program causes me not to be able to play UO,  It is GONE IMMEDIATELY!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Pawain said:
    Zhagsten said:

If an antivirus program causes me not to be able to play UO,  It is GONE IMMEDIATELY!
    I wonder what AV he was running?