Enhanced Client - Light levels glitch around champion altars

looploop Posts: 304
Pre-req: No night sight.

1. Run around champion altar
2. Observe light levels glitch : becoming dark when you stop, flipping from light to dark inconsistently.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,101
    This happens in CC also. Even if you do have nightsight. 

Primeval spawn is easy to repeat it at.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I always just thought this was a feature of champ spawns”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • looploop Posts: 304
    edited April 2021
    I wasn't aware this occurs on CC as well. Either it's a server bug or a "feature" of both clients. Since third-party CC implementations can filter out light levels entirely, maybe it's a client-side "feature"?

I put feature in quotes because it's weird and jarring, especially as you're running around and engaging heavy spawn. I'm not sure why you'd want the light levels to change by design here.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2021
    Changing light levels was a part of the original champion spawn design. As there were no altars at champ spawns, one of the only ways to determine you were in a spawn area was that the light level diminished. (I believe it got darker as the spawn advanced.) It was designed to let you know something was actually happening in the game world.
    -Arroth
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Changing light levels was a part of the original champion spawn design. As there were no altars at champ spawns, one of the only ways to determine you were in a spawn area was that the light level diminished. (I believe it got darker as the spawn advanced.) It was designed to let you know something was actually happening in the game world.

Yes, without Night Sight, I remember my hidden scout near the altar can see the altar brightly lit while the surrounding became really dark.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,101
    That is not what is happening.  You move to different locations and your nightlight does not work. I have worn nocturnal earrings for years. As you run around killing things you get to a dark area. You can cast nightlight and see again. Then when you move to another area it gets dark or light.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • looploop Posts: 304
    edited April 2021
    Here, I wasn't using night sight, but I have seen night sight glitch as you mention, where the area around the spawn suddenly becomes dark even with it active. It sounds like champion spawns impact on light levels serves no purpose anymore and ought to just be removed.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    @Pawain

My post was in reply to,

loop said:
    I'm not sure why you'd want the light levels to change by design here.

and had nothing to do with current functionality.

One of the developers posted years ago (maybe pre-EC years ago) about the light levels at champ spawns, why it no longer functioned as it had, and why it wasn't a high priority fix. 

As for changing it, it might be easy, or it might be a ridiculous mess tied in with other things you wouldn't expect it to even touch.
    -Arroth