Legacy Objects - Pixel Upgrade (Enhanced client)

Is there anything in the works for increasing the pixel count on the legacy objects ?  Majority of us are on 2k - 4k monitors and at that resolution,  the legacy objects in this game are heavily pixelated.
I'm not suggesting to change the look of the objects, but bump up the pixel count so it doesnt look like pong on 4k monitors.

I get this would be a huge undertaking.  What if you outsource this to the players?  only the art object files if possible?  I know alot of players who agree and would assist in contributing towards keeping UO longest standing MMO in history.

Comments

  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,790
    EA would never allow players to do this for free even the EMs get some sort of payment.  Sad because there are a few good artistic people out there.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 73
    They pretty much abandoned doing anything for the EC... Would be nice if they added the autofollow like in the CC so we can take advantage of the EJ accounts like so many others do....
  • looploop Posts: 93
    edited March 21
    The legacy art is shared between CC and EC, correct? I agree they ought to do something.

    I am concerned that this tech debt of straddling two clients will come to roost with the release of New Legacy. New Legacy capitalizes off the classic spirit of UO. The EC, with its off-putting art, zero nostalgia value, and inferiority to third-party CC implementations doesn't really fit into the direction of the new shard.

    Wherever the two clients have common points that could be improved like the legacy artwork, those points might be the most impactful to focus on. All this could buy time to reckon with the underlying problem of sustaining two subpar clients. In the meantime, the community will continue to fill in the gaps with their own programs which, while against the TOS, Broadsword benefits from insofar as those programs improve the game.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 257
    Not to set off another client war thread but I agree that with New Legacy coming some decisions may need to be made concerning the CC and EC.

    So, for example:


    That's the EC on the left and the CC on the right. I asked Pinco what is going on here who said "the items are drawn in the wrong resolution and without antialiasing." Whatever the problem this issue is only going to become a bigger problem as monitor resolutions get larger.

    Here's a question @Kyronix I know you're not an artist but as new art is created and added to the game are there larger resolution versions of it which can be later slotted in? If so how far back does that go?
  • DragoDrago Posts: 138
    edited March 21
    Something has to be done.   I came back after break for many years and frankly i won't keep playing if something isn't done.
    you can't scale up backpacks in legacy container mode,  on a 4k monitor,  rings and small items are nearly impossible to see.   the list view container sucks - the objects are scaled small and the font size cant be chagned, no text wrap.  gap between objects on list is way way way too big.

    Need to focus on one client.   i started this game in 97 , but EC has better features from UI perspective and the models are not bad once you get used to them.   CC is too old.  Merge some of the nice features from CC (graphics excluded) to EC and focus on one client.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,790
    KR had what you wanted and it was scraped because not very many people could run it and I am so happy that you have such a supper ubber display but guess what not everybody has what you have, may be you should consider reducing the display size of your playing screen.  I am glad they upped the size of the CC and honestly I can not see me playing on my 40in TV and yes it could support any online game but honestly I like to be able to see my whole screen without moving my head so my 27in screen is just fine.  Zoom out and reduce you display size and you will be fine you do not need to see half of the UO world at one glance.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 138
    Bilbo said:
    KR had what you wanted and it was scraped because not very many people could run it and I am so happy that you have such a supper ubber display but guess what not everybody has what you have, may be you should consider reducing the display size of your playing screen.  I am glad they upped the size of the CC and honestly I can not see me playing on my 40in TV and yes it could support any online game but honestly I like to be able to see my whole screen without moving my head so my 27in screen is just fine.  Zoom out and reduce you display size and you will be fine you do not need to see half of the UO world at one glance.

    I personally had no problem with the KR art.... but alot of people didn't like it because it changed hues and coloring that everyone built their characters/house around.   I'm not saying new art,  keep art as it, just increase the resolution on all the art that was designed almost 25 years ago....
    I'm not suggesting this would require a high end machine to run and frankly i have no sympathy for anyone whos still running a pentium 133 and CRT monitor...  times change, need to move on.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,790
    Drago said:
    Bilbo said:
    KR had what you wanted and it was scraped because not very many people could run it and I am so happy that you have such a supper ubber display but guess what not everybody has what you have, may be you should consider reducing the display size of your playing screen.  I am glad they upped the size of the CC and honestly I can not see me playing on my 40in TV and yes it could support any online game but honestly I like to be able to see my whole screen without moving my head so my 27in screen is just fine.  Zoom out and reduce you display size and you will be fine you do not need to see half of the UO world at one glance.

    I personally had no problem with the KR art.... but alot of people didn't like it because it changed hues and coloring that everyone built their characters/house around.   I'm not saying new art,  keep art as it, just increase the resolution on all the art that was designed almost 25 years ago....
    I'm not suggesting this would require a high end machine to run and frankly i have no sympathy for anyone whos still running a pentium 133 and CRT monitor...  times change, need to move on.
    I am so glad that your ubber system was able to support KR while the vast majority of the UO player base could not and there were players out there with your ubber system that could not run KR and the DEVs could never figure out why player A with computer X could and player B with the same computer could not and that was well documented.  So you want to FORCE everybody to run high end systems just to play UO when the reason most of the people here are still able to play UO is that their store bought system still plays UO just fine.  I think you will find that most people here are seniors and have already retired so you want to make them pay $2000+ for a system so you can be happy, how nice of you.  Lets just over drive every bodies video system just to make a few people happy.  Maybe you should switch to the EC that scales better than CC so you can play UO on your ubber system and 100000 inch monitor.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 138
    edited March 24
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:
    Bilbo said:
    KR had what you wanted and it was scraped because not very many people could run it and I am so happy that you have such a supper ubber display but guess what not everybody has what you have, may be you should consider reducing the display size of your playing screen.  I am glad they upped the size of the CC and honestly I can not see me playing on my 40in TV and yes it could support any online game but honestly I like to be able to see my whole screen without moving my head so my 27in screen is just fine.  Zoom out and reduce you display size and you will be fine you do not need to see half of the UO world at one glance.

    I personally had no problem with the KR art.... but alot of people didn't like it because it changed hues and coloring that everyone built their characters/house around.   I'm not saying new art,  keep art as it, just increase the resolution on all the art that was designed almost 25 years ago....
    I'm not suggesting this would require a high end machine to run and frankly i have no sympathy for anyone whos still running a pentium 133 and CRT monitor...  times change, need to move on.
    I am so glad that your ubber system was able to support KR while the vast majority of the UO player base could not and there were players out there with your ubber system that could not run KR and the DEVs could never figure out why player A with computer X could and player B with the same computer could not and that was well documented.  So you want to FORCE everybody to run high end systems just to play UO when the reason most of the people here are still able to play UO is that their store bought system still plays UO just fine.  I think you will find that most people here are seniors and have already retired so you want to make them pay $2000+ for a system so you can be happy, how nice of you.  Lets just over drive every bodies video system just to make a few people happy.  Maybe you should switch to the EC that scales better than CC so you can play UO on your ubber system and 100000 inch monitor.

    1.  I use EC.  It doesnt scale better
    2.  Don't talk to me about seniors.  I started playing UO in 97.
    Theres 100 different ways to implement this approach.  If  you're playing on an antique computer, stick with CC.   If you use EC,  they can enable high res texture option in the graphics settings.  Keeps everyone happy and attracts more players at the same time.
Sign In or Register to comment.