A Pirates Life Hints and tactics.

2»

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Seth said:
    I too have posted a video, and I think it can be agreed, while I know a lot of facts, as a player I'm no better than 'average', if that. My vids are not so much 'look how great I am' as 'if I can do it, anyone can'. This is how I succeed, see if you can adapt my tactics to your template. My char is a chiv archer (template & bow shown at the end). I can also do it using a pure bard with summoned daemons.

Think in the shoe of new players, not someone with X years experience.

Maybe a beacon that shoots 6500 damage in 8 directions on approaching ships will be most enjoyable and challenging!
    Try watching the vid before you dismiss it. I don't get my ship shot up, and no one who copies what I do will either. I make vids to help players, as many who have watched the few vids I make realise. 

My ships are also hardly damaged when fighting Beacons, thanks to tips from another site. My point is that we have benefited from this... so its unfair to those who come later and do not enjoy the same if the game is changed. Its like what some said when existing have alreadyreaped the benefit of an existing system (or exploit), and then its changed to something more difficult. Those who was already farming the under the old system has already accumulated alot of "weath" to control the price in the market because the game is now made more difficult.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    Pirate ships maybe....I don't really pay attention unless I'm on a beacon but yesterday I did full repairs on my ship and cannons before going out, did 4 pirate ships and 3 orc ships and my ship was at 81% health when I was finished. Did no beacons at all yesterday so the damage is coming from somewhere lol, I'll pay attention next time I go out.

I do take damage from a beacon if I sail into it from the wrong direction...made that mistake once and now I am super careful on my approach. Only happened one other time when I was trying to get around a damn kraken that kept getting in my way!

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,090
    edited March 2021
    Drakelord said:
    I can solo a beacon with my archer mage (Spellweaver).  Orc ship
    Yes players can solo beacons or ships. But there is no reason to be greedy, Invite others to come take a cannon shot.  You will get the same amount of cargo you get solo.
    Larisa said:
    Thanks to Petra I finally decided to try it on my chiv archer....it takes longer solo but the beacons are easy...much easier then they are portrayed to be. I'd rather just find orc ships, I get more cargo that way and resources. 
    A Beacon drops a Mythic cargo and you usually get a few other types from monsters and Orc crew.

A Mythic Cargo is worth 10x more than the highest on a Ship.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited March 2021
    Yeah but more times then not I only get a mythic and nothing else..maybe one other one. I get a lot more cargo with the others and it adds up to about the same in less amount of time.

Plus I get resources so that's a bonus.

edited March 2021
    More tips:

Mystics can cast RC on the Pontoons of a Beacon to help kill the crew. So a Mystic Thrower can go fast.  Could Prob cast EVs there also.

Using Chain lightning can hit the furthest away Orc when an Archer can not. You aim at the Orc in range.  A Player with high SDI and a Orc slayer book does a lot of damage to the Orcs.
    Larisa said:
    Yeah but more times then not I only get a mythic and nothing else..maybe one other one. I get a lot more cargo with the others and it adds up to about the same in less amount of time.

Plus I get resources so that's a bonus.
    Did they change the amount of refinements in Ship hold with the patch?  I was getting 5 before, Now just getting 3.
    edited March 2021
    Not that I've noticed. I get between 3 and 5 plus 14-20 each of Fuse Cord, Powder Charge and Cannonballs...I leave the grapeshot. I'll take the apples, ingots and boards too and if I find liquor I'll take the special bottles out unless I'm feeling cheeky, then I'll take the whole chest because those bottles are worth 30 turn in points each.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    So on Origin orc ships still do damage ? Because they don't on other shards.
    not the ones I fight !
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    i think what @Larisa is talking about is the crew attacking you which in fact the orc crew does 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    She was talking about ship damage, not damage to herself.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Tracking can do up to 5 arrows.
    If there are a lot of Player Ships and/or you have moved a few screens.  You can say Stop Tracking to turn it off and Start Tracking again to hopefully pick up new targets in range.
    For beacons I use this method.  It can be done from the front or back.  I prefer this side.
    Pull up to one side close enough to get the first Orc. Then scoot forward as needed.  Keep the side of your ship out of hit range of the back.

Then the last Orc takes practice, you can Forward one or eventually get used to scooting up enough.  When too far in you will get shot.  This is the 3rd day since I have repaired, Im at 95% ship health.

The second picture is the perfect spot to hit the last Orc with my archers.

Go to the other side and repeat.

I try to sink the beacon quick enough to loot all the orcs arrows. That dark chest orc in the first spot has arrows.  So I have to sink it and still loot him.

I am going parallel to the beacon. There is a sweet spot if you go perpendicular to the point at the front of the beacon you can get all 4 orcs from one spot.  Works great like that if you use Chain Lightning with high SDI and a slayer book.
    temp.bmp 590.8K
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    @Pawain - How many arrows we talking from those orc scouts? like 20-30 or 200-300?
    50 to 60 arrows.

Sometimes I can play for hours with the 500 arrows I started with on each archer by looting.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 278
    I play two pirate crews: On Legends I use Necro-Archer in wraith form wearing Repond Cameo with a HLD/SSI/HML shortbow  and a Mystic-Mage-Tamer w/Mage mastery Unicorn on two computers.  When attacking a beacon I gate and additional GM archer and Mystic/Mage/Spellweaver on board to get an extra 2 Mythic cargos. On ATL I use a Mage with Orc slayer SB and 110 Archer/100 Tactics with Hit Lightning SB and 1st Mate is Mystic-Mage-Tamer with a Mage Mastery Mare. Back up is another Tamer and Archer.  Hit Lightning works great whether bow or spell and on beacons can attack 3 of the 4 orc crew at same time. The EV's and RC's keep Krakens and serps/Elementals at bay while concentrating on Beacon.  For pirate ships, the pets jump aboard and kill the crew while I concentrate on scuttling the ship.
    One thing I forgot.  If someone without a Ramrod tries to prep a cannon, the cannon locks up and only the person who tried it has to get a Ramrod and finish loading. So, carry extras.
    To fix the cannon if they left, you have to go to land and disassemble the cannon to reset it.

So, I always tell them just to shoot and I reload.