How should I build my first pet?

Hey all, returning player here. I decided to bard/tamer and I have just tamed a 2 slot nightmare to help me while I farm gold and resources until I can get better skills and tame better pets. How should I build it? A lot of info out there is either outdated or confusing for someone who hasn't played since 2007 lol

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,047
    edited March 2021
    Go back and get one that is a new color that is 2 slots.
    During the training you want:  You have 3 rounds to do all this.

Stamina 150
    Dex 150
    Strength 700
    Mana 500
    Intel 370
    HP 600

Resists set those how you want them, use all the points

HP regen 20
    Stam regen 10
    Mana Regen 30

Choose the Special Armor Ignore

Put some 110 scrolls on it.

Boom you got a AI/Magery Nightmare.

Might want to read up first:
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/animal-training/
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/animal-training-abilities/

Then stick that in your stable.

Go get a Nice color Cu and do the same except Stam Regen 5.

Add AI/ and then Chivalry to the Cu.

Go kill stuff.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BizarroBizarro Posts: 4
    Thank you!
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    You also can choose poisoning (100 points) , raise it to 90-100 and then choose magery again (1 point) or magery mastery (2 points). Your pet will have no poisoning proc on hit but it will make magery spells way better. Also it will give your pet some poison resist. 
    Personally I prefer Unicorns. They have 100% poison immunity - way easy to heal them. 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    Not sure if i can post links but i'm going to anyway. https://www.uo-cah.com/ has put in a lot of hard work for the current animal taming. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Links to reputable sides are perfectly fine, and uo-cah is indeed an excellent resource for tamers
    Gwen said:
    You also can choose poisoning (100 points) , raise it to 90-100 and then choose magery again (1 point) or magery mastery (2 points). Your pet will have no poisoning proc on hit but it will make magery spells way better. Also it will give your pet some poison resist. 
    Personally I prefer Unicorns. They have 100% poison immunity - way easy to heal them. 
    If you choose poison you can not get magery back.  You would get magery mastery at 1 point. 
    Giving a pet poison does not give a pet poison resist.

You can not put Magery on any pet. It is only on pets that have natural magery. You can put Magery Mastery on many pets.

You can go to TC and try it.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    Pawain said:
    Gwen said:
    If you choose poison you can not get magery back.  You would get magery mastery at 1 point. 
    Giving a pet poison does not give a pet poison resist.

You can not put Magery on any pet. It is only on pets that have natural magery. You can put Magery Mastery on many pets.

You can go to TC and try it.
    No. If pet had initial magery (or 1500 points cost for mage-capable pets) you can choose poison. 
    Than you switch back to magery (1 point) and you have poison in gump and some skill points. This way pet magery poisoning will be stronger and pet will be cured by itself really often. And poisoned less. Of cource poison will not proc on hit. 

Topis was about nightmare. 
    edited March 2021

No. If pet had initial magery (or 1500 points cost for mage-capable pets) you can choose poison. 
    Than you switch back to magery (1 point) and you have poison in gump and some skill points. This way pet magery poisoning will be stronger and pet will be cured by itself really often. And poisoned less. Of cource poison will not proc on hit. 

Topis was about nightmare. 
    Sorry but you are wrong.

Natural Magery and Magery Mastery pet use different Skills.  A Magery Mastery pet can use Death ray and teleport.  Natural Magery pets do neither.

If you put poison on, you remove magery.  NO pet has the option to train Magery.  The only thing any pet can get is Magery Mastery.  

Many player do not want their pet to teleport.  Also Magery Mastery pets bless their targets and use Protection on themselves reducing Physical Resistance. Natural Magery Pets do not do this, they can Bless themselves.

Here is a Nightmare. Follow the numbers.

1. They start with Magery and Dragon Breath.
    2. These are the Magics you can add.
    3. I chose Poison.  Magery is forever gone.
    I decide to put Magery back on. I go back to screen 2 and all I can choose is Magery Mastery.
        NO pet has ever had Just Magery as a choice here.
    4. I choose Magery Mastery because there is NO Magery choice.  And it cost 0 points because this pet was born with Magery.
    5. Now the Nightmare has Magery Mastery and Dragon Breath. And still no Magery Choice.

You can learn a lot on Test Center.,

temp.jpg 117.3K
    edited March 2021
    From the Cah website.

Magery Mastery pets will cast the Poison spell on their targets. The Poison skill does affect the potency of the Poison, if your pet has innate Poisoning, or you trained Poisoning first, then switched to Magery Mastery.
    edited March 2021
    Nevermind I cant read @Gwen. I misread the posion part. Sorry.

But you have to have Magery Mastery on that pet.

Magery mastery is nice for certain encounters. Death ray works. Many use Magery mastery Nightmares to tele onto pirate ships to kill the crew while you scuttle the ship.
    One bad thing about teleporting is they do not come back to you when called.  So if they tele up on a Ledge in a T2A spawn you have to log off and on to retrieve them.

Magery pets like Banes and Equines deal more damage when using it as a go everywhere pet. So you just leave it with Natural Magery.

Another nice pet for pirating is the Skree.  Just GM skills works and they use Magery and Mysticism.