Breath Of Fresh Air? please leave your thoughts!

HollowHeathenHollowHeathen Posts: 3
edited February 2021 in General Discussions
Hello everyone willing to read this, I'm new and I have to say I am really liking this game and all of its systems. There are two things in particular though that make this game slightly frustrating and that is the vendor system and the economy itself.
Allow me to elaborate, the vendor system is a good idea but it seems more like a pain when you are just trying to find something quickly to progress your skills and continue having a good time. I'm not a coder but couldn't you implement an auction house and link the inventories from the players vendors to it so everyone still gets paid? 
As for the economy and the whole gold inflation thing. Couldn't you have a few vendors who are not player vendors but like npc vendors and have them sell things like crafting mats or something linked to the auction house as well so when players buy from them the gold is being taken out of the server?
Also a actual pricing list for items would be nice. I know there's a sticky about pricing but its kinda obvious that's not what people are asking for.
Saying this the game is great! I know its old and I'm not saying reinvent the wheel or anything but if we are all paying for the game wouldn't a few new quality of life changes be nice?
Wouldn't everyone here like to see some newer generation of gamers coming to this game and actually staying around?
Maybe its because I'm new and i haven't been around long enough to understand but i cannot be the only person who feels this way.
  1. Would you like to see a auction house in game12 votes
    1. yes
      41.67%
    2. no
      50.00%
    3. meh
        8.33%

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,257

Hey and welcome. :)

New players often see things for what they are, when the rest of us have got used to it.

Have you used the actual Vendor Search system? Left click on your character once, to pull up a menu, and you will see Vendor Search if you are in a safe place, use this to look quickly for stuff, it's a great tool.

Yes, the Vendor System could use work, I've often pushed for a complete centralised system myself.

Re materials, some basic materials are sold in good quantities from the NPC's, and if you keep buying you can push them up to get more. Leather, Ingots, Scrolls, Cloth for example. Materials themselves are fairly easy to farm for, or buy quite cheaply, or many people may just give them to you. They are also fairly cheap on VS.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    Couldn't you have a few vendors who are not player vendors but like npc vendors and have them sell things like crafting mats or something linked to the auction house as well so when players buy from them the gold is being taken out of the server?
    Did you check the New Magincia Bazaar ?
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/npc-commercial-transactions/the-new-magincia-bazaar/

Vendors there are specifically "tailored" for Selling and Buying Materials, all kinds, and Pets....

Unfortunately, there is no link to the Global Vendor search so, it is necessary to check those Vendors one by one...

NPCs do sell materials and, actually, by buying them, you can raise the quantity sold up to 999...

The respawn takes some time, though... so it is necessary to be patient for the respawn to make those materials again available in the NPC inventory list in a higher quantity...

Keep in mind that, if the increased quantity materials are not bought within a given time (not sure what the timer is), they will "decrease" the offered quantity again.

Welcome to Ultima Online !!
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Hmm... we already have auction boxes that can be searched, why need an auction house. Maybe I misread the post...
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    Seth said:
    Hmm... we already have auction boxes that can be searched, why need an auction house. Maybe I misread the post...

I wonder if he has fully seen what there is.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Cookie said:
    Seth said:

I wonder if he has fully seen what there is.
    Then my understanding is correct  :)
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Thank you guys for replying and dropping some knowledge my way.
    Vendor search isn't a bad idea it just doesn't seem to work for me. It ends up not mapping me anywhere or finding anyone selling and that could be my own fault for not using it properly. 
    I've been to Mag and seen a ton of pet traders but not much else besides that. ill do some more exploring and experimenting with the systems today and see if these feelings are coming from a place of inexperience. I did not know NPC's stock went up incrementally as you buy them out thank you for that. 
    I know I wrote auction house in my post but what I mean is a global vendor system that links them to one place like Cookie mentioned, just something to streamline the process.
    Regardless the game is great and I hope the Devs drop some new content just in general for this game.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    edited February 2021
    HollowHeathen said:

Regardless the game is great and I hope the Devs drop some new content just in general for this game.
    If you are brand new to Ultima Online, to my opinion, this is the existing game with the largest and grandest amount of content that there exists...

The depth and gameplay capacity of Ultima Online is simply, so far, at least to my knowledge, unmatched by another game...

There is so much to do in UO, so varied, and so many places to go to, that, at least for those who come anew to it, they have LOTs to do for a good long while before new content might be needed for a change.....

Did you check, for example, the Quests you can do ?

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/quests/quest-engines/
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/quests/

Or, maybe, you might be interested in Gardening and Cross-Pollinating Plants from which you can get resources, rare deco plants, dyes and more ?

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/plant-growing/
    https://www.uoguide.com/Gardening

Or maybe you might enjoy Fishing ?

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/fishing/
    https://www.uoguide.com/Fishing

And with Fishing come the FishMonger Quests !!

https://www.uoguide.com/Professional_Fisher_Quest

You got a Crafter maybe ? There is Bulk Order Deeds gameplay !!

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/bulk-orders/

I could keep adding more and more and more, for quite a while.... there is simply a WHOLE LOT that a brand new player can do in Ultima Online....

Enjoy it !!
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,299
    If you are on a low population shard you may have only one vendor (or, perhaps no vendor at all) selling what you need and without competition that vendor sets the price.  When I started playing about 2 1/2 years ago things where pretty competitive on my shard but about a year ago things started changing.  Now, in some key areas a single vendor sets the price and for those items prices have gone up dramatically.  Not wide spread yet just a few areas.  I cannot travel to other shards like most other players so I don’t know if the current prices here are competitive.  I just know how they have have changed on my shard.  Shard bound was in part developed to stabilize prices and make certain items more available to players that can’t travel to other shards.  Not sure how it is working out.

To answer your question about newer players sticking around, almost all of this game’s marketing efforts are directed at those players that have been playing for years and that already have most of what the game has to offer  (after all they pay the bills). And, that little bit of marketing effort that goes elsewhere uses EJ accounts to attract players that have quit back into the game.  I don’t see any effort being made to attract or retain new players.

Owners are apparently planing a livestream or newsletter soon about the games future direction.

My advice is to check vendor search several times a day if you can.  Good deals for what you need do come up from time to time.  Other players have asked before to have a more universal vendor search or capability that allows them more access to vendors on other shards but i get the impression from the developers’ responses or lack of a response that can’t be done.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    New players need to get on Gen Chat and let the shard know that they are there and ask any questions they may have.  Most likely the first thing the shard will ask is if they need anything like spell book, rune book, basic LRC suit or a suit just to get them started.