Can we talk NL a second? I'm curious

People have long asked for a retro shard, a "classic" shard.  But we have always been told the coding was lost, notebooks were burned or some such excuses.

But now, we have NL coming online, and what do we know about it?  Well, it will be one facet, and only the old world, as I remember them saying.  They even said it will have pvp, but there will be safe zones for non-pvp'ers.  
Sounds suspiciously like a classic shard, eh?

Here is what I really really hope.  That they DO NOT overthink this.  Just take it back to before AoS, and no 120 scrolls, have guard zones in the towns ala old school.  And please, do not overthink the pvp part of it.  Just introduce Order/Chaos and let chars join individually, not guilds.  And let the order/chaos part be worldwide.
GM made stuff will be the top of the line.
Hopefully we can have naked mages again, if they make the spells work like they are sposed to work (used to work)
Mace weapons will destroy your stuff...
No special moves, per say, different weapons just have different effects.  Old school, a warrior/dexer only needs mana to use a runebook.
So much has been lost in the chase for power and trinkets.

And this shard is only for a year, so power creep might not have to be worried about, expecially since EVERYONE will have access to the top level gear! (gm)

Anyway, I hope we learn loads more soon, before the anticipation wears off.  And I hope it's good news.  

Comments

• I had more, but I don't want to write a Popps booklet...
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Sounds suspiciously like a classic shard, eh?

Here is what I really really hope.  That they DO NOT overthink this.  
    I think you're going to be disappointed. I posted about this back when the livestream happened. Centering your hopes for what New Legacy is around a specific era of the game ties it to nostalgia, and nostalgia is a fallacy. My nostalgic idea of what the game's best era was is entirely different and subjective than anyone else's. I think the more productive frame to think about New Legacy is one of potential change.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I think any speculation is just that and we shall end up with a thread of arguments over things we don't even know about. what would be nice is to at least get a time frame or schedule both for NL and at least the next six months...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    If we just had NPC gear we would have fun for a week or so. No matter what they decide, I think 6 months is too long for a season much less a year.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    It is going to be ONE Shard that we do not know how many lands will be there or what the rules will be so your RANT is based on nothing, carry on.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    They did say it would would be one land mass.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Marge said:
    They did say it would would be one land mass.
    Wondering how that would blend Tram vs Fel ruleset.

There are people dead set against non-consensual PvP type actions and others will not even bother if there is no chance of it. I'd guess there would need to be some sort of mix so both sides would want to play.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    It is suppose to be a compromise of sorts. What that compromise is, they never did state clearly. They talked vaguely about 'safe' zones. Think I remember reading that it won't be VvV style either. They also said they would do another video talking about it in January. Since it's already the 25th and no date has been announced yet, I'm guessing it will be in February.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Mesanna said at the Meet and Greet on Origin that they are doing another video session for this month so why don't we just wait and see what they have to say?

I know I'm in the minority here but I can't wait for NL so hopefully the video session will happen soon!

• Hopefully it will move smoother and be more informative too!

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Perhaps it would help to refresh memories of the information we have: https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

• KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Mariah said:
    Perhaps it would help to refresh memories of the information we have: https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

Or perhaps NOT! Let's be honest. This NL "shard" is something that NO ONE asked for, and very few people are getting excited about. The "breaking news" was months overdue, didn't give us any useful information, and the "big reveal"  looked like it was a school project thrown together the night before it was due!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    More importantly it's been 4ish months with no further updates. 

That said, I'd rather them put most of their time and energy into content for Prod shards so if lack of NL updates is due to hard work of Prod Shard content then I'm good with it.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    KHAN said:
    Mariah said:

This NL "shard" is something that NO ONE asked for, and very few people are getting excited about. The "breaking news" was months overdue, didn't give us any useful information, and the "big reveal"  looked like it was a school project thrown together the night before it was due!
    keven2002 said:

That said, I'd rather them put most of their time and energy into content for Prod shards so if lack of NL updates is due to hard work of Prod Shard content then I'm good with it.
    I always have to chuckle when anyone makes the claim that "NO ONE" asked for something. As a matter of fact, a number of the features and the overall vision for what we hope NL will achieve is one of the most often requested projects I/we fielded for quite some time. We released the announcement on the schedule we always intended (the claim otherwise was based on some mis-reporting that another poster has already done a deeper dive into). I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the announcement video, but it sounds like you aren't excited for NL like others are anyhow, so probably not a lot going to change your mind. As for updates we've included NL news in each newsletter since the announcement, and are planning another hangout for February. A lot of the work now is focused on the live game, getting ready for the next couple months. Look for more information in our next newsletter.
  • What was actually said about PvP in the new shard was this:

[[

Q: Will there be open-world PvP?

The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support open world Player vs Player combat using an updated Vice Vs Virtue framework.

]]

source: https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

I guess that could mean that it'll be the open PvP PK-fest that UO was before Trammel but it doesn't sound like it. Sounds like it'll have Factions.

[[People have long asked for a retro shard, a "classic" shard.  But we have always been told the coding was lost, notebooks were burned or some such excuses.]]

There's no indication that it was "excuses" and every indication that this was accurate information. However everyone who knows how coding works was also clear that there were few limits on what could be produced if one was willing to start from scratch. 

Folks such as yourself also liked to point to the illegal free shards as an example of how a custom rules shard could be viable. The best reply to that was, and remains: Do not underestimate people who have time on their hands, no profit motive, no corporate or legal considerations, and are dedicated to a certain goal. As another example, ever wonder how mods for Skyrim can in some cases exceed the original game in quality? As yet another example, ever wonder how people can use deep fake technologies to improve on the special effects that made young Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian?

In all three cases (UO free servers, Skyrim mods, and The Mandalorian fan edits), and It's because you're talking about a bunch of folks who know this stuff well, have no profit motive, have time on their hands, and are extremely dedicated. Professionals, by contrast, are doing this for their living, not for their hobbies, and want time to pursue whatever their hobbies are. (And even someone who works on UO but has modding Skyrim as a hobby is not going to want to go home from working on UO and work some more on UO. They're just not.) They also have to worry about quaint stuff like "profits," "break-even points," and "corporate permissions." And, oh yeah, they don't care about the (admittedly small but quite real) possibility of, say, lawsuits or copyright enforcement.

While we're talking about this, let's talk about whether or not this new shard is a "classic" shard (that's NOT the right term for what you all wanted because almost everyone who wanted this wanted something extra beyond what was available in any given era of the game):

[[

Q: Is Ultima Online: New Legacy an Ultima Online Classic Shard?

There is no magic dial to turn back Ultima Online to a specific era.  Times have changed and expectations have moved past what the landscape of MMORPGs was like in 1997 and beyond.  So in short, no, this is not a 1:1 recreation of a classic UO server in any given era.  What we have done, however, is to rekindle the magic and nostalgia that drives the core desire to experience a classic server.  As we have stated, we have completely rethought, reworked, and redesigned several core gameplay experiences with the goal of rekindling the classic experience of Ultima Online –  focused on keeping true to the roots of Ultima as an RPG!

]]

source: same link as above.

So not only is not a "classic" shard but it specifically said it wasn't.

Now as stated before, you could code anything you want from scratch if you had the right resources so sure they could make a new game that looked, felt, and played exactly like old UO, probably right down to the dial-up lag, the "PKs open bank box in a dungeon so no risk of losing loot from a kill hack," and the "castle deed dupe." But it would cost a lot, I suspect. And be pointless.

Now is the new shard coded from scratch or using existing resources? Either way it's a depressing waste of time and money and I don't care.

Now let me be clear: This new shard is going to be a disaster for a lot of reasons that I'll get into some other time, and I increasingly am offended by the team's focus on it. So I'm not saying this as a supporter of this new endeavor.

Rather I'm saying it as someone who feels that these sorts of discussions should have, you know, facts and reason and stuff.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    @Kyronix ; Could this be put on hold and fix VS
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    @Bilbo Completely separate resources unrelated to one another.
    Thanks for the update @Kyronix! Glad to hear the Prod Shards are getting some attention still (was afraid most of the attention would be on NL). 

I have seen the updates about NL in the newsletter but they are more so about a specific feature like name lineage rather than the broader topics (and more interesting things to me) like Tram vs Fel / Building Skill / Timeline for release. Hoping we see that in the Feb hang out. 

Thanks!
  • RadstRadst Posts: 90
    Will there be a REAL patch this year on production shards at all?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Still looking for a reason to play on the NL shard.  To survive UO needs to attract and retain new players.  How about this?  Reward established players that mentor younger players.  UO is designed as a team oriented game. New players will have someone they can play with and help them learn the game. Not sure how you would accomplish this but I think there are a fair number of experienced players that might enjoy mentoring.  Knowing there will be someone there that can help you along when you log on will do a lot more encourage new players to keep playing than looking forward to getting PKed.

• VmaxVmax Posts: 10
    NGL, this sounds really fun! Take me back to some of that open-world PvP of that first night in UO when I ran across 3 naked guys with their leader in a deer mask all doing *hic* somewhere south of Covetous and west of Vesper yelling "ur $$ or ur life!", scaring the beejeezuz out of my guy so I hit one of them with a fireball and dropped him then took off and didn't stop running until Minoc.
    Since 10/2/97!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited January 2021
    Kyronix said:
    KHAN said:
    Mariah said:

This NL "shard" is something that NO ONE asked for, and very few people are getting excited about. The "breaking news" was months overdue, didn't give us any useful information, and the "big reveal"  looked like it was a school project thrown together the night before it was due!
    keven2002 said:

I always have to chuckle when anyone makes the claim that "NO ONE" asked for something. As a matter of fact, a number of the features and the overall vision for what we hope NL will achieve is one of the most often requested projects I/we fielded for quite some time. We released the announcement on the schedule we always intended (the claim otherwise was based on some mis-reporting that another poster has already done a deeper dive into). I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the announcement video, but it sounds like you aren't excited for NL like others are anyhow, so probably not a lot going to change your mind. As for updates we've included NL news in each newsletter since the announcement, and are planning another hangout for February. A lot of the work now is focused on the live game, getting ready for the next couple months. Look for more information in our next newsletter.
    I am very much looking forward the New Legacy Shard, from what I heard, the potential of this new Shard can be great.

I just hope, that it will NOT be a Siege Perilous/Mugen clone and that it will accomodate also the gameplay of those players who do not enjoy nor seek PvP.

And by that I mean, that non-PvPers should be able to fully experience their gameplay without being dragged into PvP unless they want to, and without this meaning that they would be cut out from items or else that could improve or enhance their gameplay.

To my opinion, PvP should be played for the sake of it, for the fun of it by those who enjoy it, and not because it gives needed items like, for example, Powerscrolls are on Prodo Shards.... at most, it should provide titles or deco stuff but not, certainly, items needed to enhance significatively one's own gameplay.

We'll see how the New Legacy Shard will turn out to be, eventually.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    popps said:
    To my opinion, PvP should be played for the sake of it, for the fun of it by those who enjoy it, and not because it gives needed items like, for example, Powerscrolls are on Prodo Shards.... at most, it should provide titles or deco stuff but not, certainly, items needed to enhance significatively one's own gameplay.

We'll see how the New Legacy Shard will turn out to be, eventually.
    If they like the PvP part and not the PK part then they do not need a reward.  

I spend hours in UO doing things that will not produce any reward other than FUN. Fun should be the reward for PvP if they truly like PvP.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • KarynKaryn Posts: 55
    Honestly, I'd just like to see some solid details on the functions and feature set of NL. Everything is so vague "we're going to do some stuff, and there's going to be some cool things". Ok, you got me hooked on the teaser, now it's time to give me the main course. What is the actual plan?

We're a year into this thing, the feature set and roadmap should be set. If it isn't, then hire a Project Manager because the project is doomed without one.