"Of Ice" & "Of The Three" Armor Sets are Shard Bound? WHY???

OK, I'll bite the bullet.
WHY THE HELL are the "Of Ice" & "Of The Three" Armor Sets Shard Bound???
I can - barely - understand to have the Quest Items SB, but why the AS too?
The only real effect of this has been to make the prices of them skyrocket on ATL AND on the Low Pop Shards, making it near impossible for the small collectors to be able to afford them, and having no effect on the large scale items farmers.
Mah!

PS: And, no, "Go get them yourself" is not an answer for the players that have no interest in dungeoning.

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

Yeah, I'm not really in agreement with Shard Bound.

And what often makes these things worse, is it is not consistent across the board, some things will be shard bound, others won't, it just then makes doing things really complicated as we go further into the game. Now we are in a scenario where some sets are shard bound, others are not. That can only cause complication for collectors going forwards.

And yes - prices will rocket on both Atlantic, and the Low Pop shards, because the all round trading availability is not there now. Demand is still there, but they have effectively reduced Supply, and stopped the ability to match item sets up, or match buyers with sellers due to splitting everything up onto the shards themselves.

I get why they are doing it, I get it is some sort of Protectionism economic thing to protect the Low Pop shards, I used to have some sympathy for the idea, but now I'm not so sure this is the way to do things - there must be another way. You cannot really do it for Equipment I don't think, as it really messes up veteran players who transfer shards to play their game. Rares are usually collected across shards. It doesn't leave much really.

I do sometimes wish the Devs had an ability to go back and make complete wholesale changes to an old item. That way, they could improve/fix a lot of historical issues. For example - removing/adding shard bound property from a specific item, adding/changing/improving properties to an old item to update it into today's game.

This is typical of our Europa Discord, because these items are just so hard to obtain now due to being Shard Bound. They even offer gold on Atlantic, to purchase the item on Europa, which surely isn't the best way to be having to trade items.

• DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    The Virtue tiles are also shard bound.  making it almost impossible to complete the set.  I need one more and have 3 extra copies where I failed to get the one I needed to complete mine set.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I think the armor from these events is shard bound so you don’t farm them with ease on lower population shards and bring them to more populated shards (atl)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited December 2020
    dvvid said:
    I think the armor from these events is shard bound so you don’t farm them with ease on lower population shards and bring them to more populated shards (atl)

And the consquence, as I wrote, is that the prices skyrocketed on BOTH ATL AND the Low Pop Shards, the farmers still farm as ever on ATL, and in many Low Pop Shards is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to collect them.

A choice of pure genius, indeed... :/
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    i’m selling 1.5mil per bone, 1mil per plate and 500k per piece for the rest of “the ice” item and the sale has been really slow. For sure price has not sky rocketed on my shard. 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    edited December 2020
    shard bound for utility items complete fisaco...the only item i can understand being shard bound is event item they are history from the shard and will make event very less laggy....farming stuff shouldn t be shardbound...btw this ice dungeon event dungeon are mostly empty with the bad rewards so will eb mroe difficult to get those deco items...in fel it s desert less spawn than trammel very bad design
    Aragorn said:
    i’m selling 1.5mil per bone, 1mil per plate and 500k per piece for the rest of “the ice” item and the sale has been really slow. For sure price has not sky rocketed on my shard. 

I will gladly help you and buy your stuff... but, wait: if it isn't on Europa I have no use for them.
    Do you see the no-sense?
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    The ONLY thing that should even be considered to be shard bound is EM rewards.   It is a fallacy that shard bound is doing any good for small shard economies, what utter rubbish that idea is.  Instead, traders like me who used to farm like mad don't bother anymore as I have zero market.  Not gonna grind stuff like this out for the 'odd' chance of someone on my shard wanting it.   I get enough for me to make a set or get what I want and stop.  NO extras, NO point.

What the devs fail to understand is that the majority of those left on small shards get their own stuff and all excess used to go to atlantic to sell (ya know where the players and the MARKET is) so that we could afford to buy the stuff that ISN'T shard bound like power scrolls and high end drops like slither etc.  Now they just take our ability to make money away.  Brilliant Idea.

The arbitrary way what is and isn't shard bound is decided is also ridiculous.  I keep saying either make EVERYTHING shard bound if you want to really improve economies on small shards or make NOTHING shard bound. 

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    edited December 2020
    Ivenor said:
    Aragorn said:

I will gladly help you and buy your stuff... but, wait: if it isn't on Europa I have no use for them.
    Do you see the no-sense?
    yup, that’s the pain. each shard’s economic of shard bound items has been isolated but not necessarily go up that’s all my point. Isolation means the economy is pretty much go with the population and activeness of the shard. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    They should be shard bound during the duration of the event that generates them to encourage turn in for the prizes. After the event has concluded they should loose their shard bound status so people can take sets to different shards.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    Ivenor said:
    OK, I'll bite the bullet.
    WHY THE HELL are the "Of Ice" & "Of The Three" Armor Sets Shard Bound???
    I can - barely - understand to have the Quest Items SB, but why the AS too?
    The only real effect of this has been to make the prices of them skyrocket on ATL AND on the Low Pop Shards, making it near impossible for the small collectors to be able to afford them, and having no effect on the large scale items farmers.
    Mah!

PS: And, no, "Go get them yourself" is not an answer for the players that have no interest in dungeoning.

Well, my guess is, that if they were not, people could farm them on a Shard they can more easily farm them, then transfer to another shard and claim the Reward that is meant to be Shard Bound on that other Shard.

Basically, it would DEFY the Shard Bound of the Reward item.... it would be a work around to fool the Shard Bound restriction....

Want the Reward on a given Shard ? Then go play THAT Shard and get the drops and the item there....

And YES, I keep saying that Shard Bound is a blessing come true, especially for Low population Shards.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited December 2020
    popps said:

And YES, I keep saying that Shard Bound is a blessing come true, especially for Low population Shards.
    But facts and players say otherwise.  Especially the ones who are on small shards.  In 6 months there will be no way to get the shard bound items from the past.  But they will be sitting on vendors on Atlantic for those players.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited December 2020
    popps said:
    Well, my guess is, that if they were not, people could farm them on a Shard they can more easily farm them, then transfer to another shard and claim the Reward that is meant to be Shard Bound on that other Shard.

Basically, it would DEFY the Shard Bound of the Reward item.... it would be a work around to fool the Shard Bound restriction....

Want the Reward on a given Shard ? Then go play THAT Shard and get the drops and the item there....

How would this matter? If players are farming, that is great news. If they are generating some surplus to be able to trade, that is even better. If there is a slight surplus, for those future players coming in - or a players extra characters, to be able to get some, even better.

Right now, half of players who have no need of the items, are not farming, because there is absolutely on point, I see it in my guild discord, I see it in my shard discord, I see it from the above posters on these forums. Therefore, the players are generating approximately half the items we could be for each event, which is only going to reduce supply, push prices up, and make the game more difficult for future players.

popps said:

And you are the only one saying this, in the face of a lot of very well reasoned arguments and logic in all of the posts above your one. I think very few players on the Low Population shards are agreeing with you, unless they are the type of player that just loves to be isolated and play alone.

edited December 2020
    popps said:

It helps buyers when there are things to sell but not sellers.  It actually hurts buyers as well when there are not enough sellers as there will be simply no supply at all. 

What really is a blessing is a global mall across all shards. This is what globalisation called in real world. You regulate supply and demand, not put a boundary to supply and demand. 
    edited December 2020
    Cookie said:
    popps said:

How would this matter? If players are farming, that is great news. If they are generating some surplus to be able to trade, that is even better. If there is a slight surplus, for those future players coming in - or a players extra characters, to be able to get some, even better.

Right now, half of players who have no need of the items, are not farming, because there is absolutely on point, I see it in my guild discord, I see it in my shard discord, I see it from the above posters on these forums. Therefore, the players are generating approximately half the items we could be for each event, which is only going to reduce supply, push prices up, and make the game more difficult for future players.

popps said:

And you are the only one saying this, in the face of a lot of very well reasoned arguments and logic in all of the posts above your one. I think very few players on the Low Population shards are agreeing with you, unless they are the type of player that just loves to be isolated and play alone.

How would this matter? 
    Are you serious ?

If the Developers studied the issue, from a Developers point of view of course, and came to the decision that Shard Bound items need be, having the drops not transferable would be basically voiding their Shard Bound made decision....

Not only it would make no sense, but it would contradict their made decision.

It is perfectly reasonable and logical that the drops are also Shard Bound given that the Rewards produced by those drops need to be Shard Bound.
    Right now, half of players who have no need of the items, are not farming, because there is absolutely on point, I see it in my guild discord, I see it in my shard discord, I see it from the above posters on these forums.
    And I see it that on the Atlantic server some of the Rewards are being put for sale for ridicolous prices...

If these Rewards were not Shard Bound, or the drops where not Shard Bound, the obvious result would be that some players would be farming drops and Rewards to no end, perhaps even scripting 24/7, on Low Population Shards where they are not bothered nor reported (after all they are deserted shards...), and then ferry these drops and Rewards to the Atlantic shard to fetch a ton of gold.....

And those low population shards would not have such items as available there....

No thanks.

Kudos to the Developers for their wisdom to make them, and the dungeon drops, as Shard Bound.

Shard Bound, to my viewing, is a blessing for low population shards, for those players who actually PLAY on those shards and do not exploit those low population shards only for farming purposes but then take their farmed items to Atlantic....
    popps said:

Popps I play small shards, have done for years,  I am playing Oceania and Origin, and shard bound is KILLING all activity.  People just don't bother grinding stuff out for extras to 'sell' when there is NO market.  The market is on ATLANTIC. 

I don't know what 'evidence' you have to keep saying this.  I and everyone in my group will say the complete opposite.  We would normally farm these events like mad so that we had multiple extra rewards to have available to sell on our shard but mostly to take to Market, on ATLANTIC, enough extras to be able to hold some back for the 'future' when the initial glut wears off.  That allows us to make money and then bring back other sort after items that those on our shard couldn't get or there is a shortage of like doom recipes etc.  While ever all the main sort after items are NOT shard bound like power scrolls, stat scrolls, high end boss drops and em event items  the devs should NOT be limiting the ability of those of us on small shards to make money.   All shard bound does is that.   STOPS US FROM making money to buy all those non shard bound items.

What you fail to realise is that there is NO requirement for people to transfer items to Atlantic UNLESS THEY WANT TO.  If people didn't want items to move off shard they wouldn't take them. 

Shard bound is actually limiting activity and driving people away.  Who the hell is gonna grind for the sake of grinding when the market is being killed? 

You are the only person I know who thinks that shard bound is doing anything for small shards.  Put up your evidence and I guarantee I will counter it.  Sorry but you are so wrong on this.

Cheers MissE

MissE said:
    popps said:

Popps I play small shards, have done for years,  I am playing Oceania and Origin, and shard bound is KILLING all activity.  People just don't bother grinding stuff out for extras to 'sell' when there is NO market.  The market is on ATLANTIC. 

I don't know what 'evidence' you have to keep saying this.  I and everyone in my group will say the complete opposite.  We would normally farm these events like mad so that we had multiple extra rewards to have available to sell on our shard but mostly to take to Market, on ATLANTIC, enough extras to be able to hold some back for the 'future' when the initial glut wears off.  That allows us to make money and then bring back other sort after items that those on our shard couldn't get or there is a shortage of like doom recipes etc.  While ever all the main sort after items are NOT shard bound like power scrolls, stat scrolls, high end boss drops and em event items  the devs should NOT be limiting the ability of those of us on small shards to make money.   All shard bound does is that.   STOPS US FROM making money to buy all those non shard bound items.

What you fail to realise is that there is NO requirement for people to transfer items to Atlantic UNLESS THEY WANT TO.  If people didn't want items to move off shard they wouldn't take them. 

Shard bound is actually limiting activity and driving people away.  Who the hell is gonna grind for the sake of grinding when the market is being killed? 

You are the only person I know who thinks that shard bound is doing anything for small shards.  Put up your evidence and I guarantee I will counter it.  Sorry but you are so wrong on this.
    I fail to understand why anyone from a low population Shard would need to want to go to Atlantic for shopping purposes....

They have all the spawns that they want on their Shard. Need Cameos ? Go do some roof.

Need some Doom arties ? Go play down Doom....

Any and all Shards have all they need for gameplay.

If we see at the plan for the new Legacy Shard, my understanding is that the Developers have the intent to make a Design that actually helps "build" a community.

"Using" a low population shard for farming purposes to then transfer the items to Atlantic I do not see it as building that community feeling.... playing a Shard in full, is instead.

Many low population shards were deprived by their history, for example Event Moderators Reward items which where farmed on those Shards and then taken to Atlantic to be sold for a pretty penny...

The result of this, is that on many low population Shards you can not find many of those items which you can instead find on Atlantic.

If they had been Shard Bound, this would have not happened, they would have stayed with the Shard that they were originated on making the history of that Shard.

Shard Bound is good, VERY good. It just does not help people making the tons of gold they were making before by farming items on low population shards and ferrying them to Atlantic to sell, but it is definitively good for the low population shards in the long run.

Especially, now that we have Vendors that do not charge a daily fee. There is no worry to put Shard Bound items on a no daily fee Vendor as the item can sell as late as wanted the charge will only be applied when the sale happens.

So, is my expectation, we will see these Shard Bound items show up on np daily fee Vendors and players coming later on when the Event was held, might be able to find them up for sale on their low population shard because, thanking to the wisdom of the Developers, their having been made Shard Bound prevented them to be taken to Atlantic to sell for a pretty penny.
    edited December 2020
    popps said:
    Are you serious ?

If the Developers studied the issue, (...)

Kudos to the Developers for their wisdom (...)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Apologies. I wasn't able to stop myself.
    edited December 2020
    TimSt said:
    They should be shard bound during the duration of the event that generates them to encourage turn in for the prizes. After the event has concluded they should loose their shard bound status so people can take sets to different shards.

Now, THIS is a REALLY wise idea, IMO! <3
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    popps said:
    I fail to understand why anyone from a low population Shard would need to want to go to Atlantic for shopping purposes....

They have all the spawns that they want on their Shard. Need Cameos ? Go do some roof.

Aren't you the one complaining constantly about the grind? I have been doing roof for 4 years ish now - at one point I was doing it twice a day for months with a guildie. I STILL have not gotten a full set of cameos. That right there is why a shopping hub like Atlantic is good - if I want to get my missing cameos, I can buy them. We have a group that does go into Doom and still haven't gotten all the recipes and parts needed to make things.
    No one I know of on Chessy thinks shard bound is a good thing - most do as Miss E said - they now do just enough to get their reward and stop.
    edited December 2020

popps said:

MissE:  To get stuff that you have been unable to get for yourself, especially hard to get items where groups are required and you cannot get a group together often enough on a small shard to obtain the item.    On my shard if you wanted to do a group activity such as doom or the roof you are hard pushed to do it once a week.  On that basis given the crap level of say doom drops  you may never get the particular item you want ie recipes.  I GAVE UP trying to get groups to do doom on my shard as even if you did manage to get a group (by that i mean 3-4 players) after over a dozen times I had one crap arti for my effort.  THAT is why you shop other shards

MissE: In that case what does it matter to YOU if others want to sell their stuff on Atlantic, you just state that it is easy enough to get the stuff yourself so why complain? You obviously have all the stuff.  Talk about shooting down your own argument.   If we all have enough for gameplay why the hell does it bother you if people who have extras choose to sell them where they have a much bigger market, where instead of it sitting on vendor for MONTHS they can sell stuff in a day or so?  When the devs decided shard shields were a good vet reward they basically killed off all markets on small shards.  I did NOT agree with them, I think they were the worst thing for game economy ever introduced, not only that they were discriminatory against new players, but I got shouted down.  Now the horse has definitely bolted and players are basically FORCED to trade on other shards especially as as the small shards get smaller the amount of stuff even being produced is disappearing and not even available to 'buy' local not because it has been sold off but as it has never been gotten to start with in any large number. 

If we see at the plan for the new Legacy Shard, my understanding is that the Developers have the intent to make a Design that actually helps "build" a community.

MissE:  As for New Lemon, (that's what I call it)  live in the usa?  Fine.  Live where I do and you won't see many people playing that at 250+ ping.  Not to mention who the hell wants to play a game that disintegrates every 12 mths, not to mention right now after 12 months of the promised announcement it is still vaporware.   I am amazed at the amount of people who think this is gonna be 'good' for UO.  In my opinion it will be the death of UO.  We already see dev time being put into cookie cutter churned out events with rehashed and rehued items instead of new stuff, or worse, just NO new stuff but  repeats of old content/rewards, and here we have the FIRST XMAS IN UO history with bugger all christmas gifts.  New Lemon is gonna result in more of this not less.  It is already starting.  I will not be playing this nor will any of my mates I play with, none of us are interested in starting from scratch in a game that resets especially on a US based server.  May as well go and play something completely new.   It will have a rush of players who are starved for new content whenever it appears but give it 12 mths and I expect it will be dead as a doornail as well as all the other shards.

"Using" a low population shard for farming purposes to then transfer the items to Atlantic I do not see it as building that community feeling.... playing a Shard in full, is instead.

MissE:  I do not 'farm' my shard, I play my shard in full.  The fact I choose to sell excess stuff on Atlantic is MY business NOT yours.  I offer the same items on my shard on my vendors on Oceania, as I do on Atlantic.  But guess what the stuff on my shard takes MONTHS to sell if ever yet the same items taken to atlantic sell within the month.   I should know, I have been running shops in both locations for 15 odd years.  How many vendors do you run?  I have run over 20 completely stocked vendors for YEARS across multiple shards.

Many low population shards were deprived by their history, for example Event Moderators Reward items which where farmed on those Shards and then taken to Atlantic to be sold for a pretty penny...  
    The result of this, is that on many low population Shards you can not find many of those items which you can instead find on Atlantic.
    If they had been Shard Bound, this would have not happened, they would have stayed with the Shard that they were originated on making the history of that Shard.

MissE:  If you read what I said, I actually agree that EM items should  of been shard bound, but only as right now on small shards 90% of the drops go to offsharders with their multiboxers who are designed to just attend the drop events, wait for the regular players to kill all the minor mobs while they stand around waiting for the boss to scoop up the 90% of the drops.   They ONLY show up the one time a month when this event is on.  However saying that if players on my shard get a drop and want to sell it on Atlantic I really couldn't care less.  The whole system is designed for multiboxers that is the problem.

Shard Bound is good, VERY good. It just does not help people making the tons of gold they were making before by farming items on low population shards and ferrying them to Atlantic to sell, but it is definitively good for the low population shards in the long run.

MissE:  Just rubbish, nothing you have said so far supports that argument.  You realise that the MAJORITY of those people you say are 'farming low pop shards' are actually people that actually PLAY the small shards as their home shards.  They are not there 'farming' them as you put it but live there and are playing the content.   I don't think I have seen anyone on my shard 'farming' it in years.   In fact I can't remember the last time I saw any 'strangers' doing that.  The people that 'farm' my shard are the locals who then take their stuff to Atlantic to maximise the price they get and to purchase those items they have been unable to get due to the rng hating on them.

Especially, now that we have Vendors that do not charge a daily fee. There is no worry to put Shard Bound items on a no daily fee Vendor as the item can sell as late as wanted the charge will only be applied when the sale happens.

MissE:  I run shops, I do NOT use these vendors as they take up lockdowns.  No real merchant house is gonna use these vendors, and they are unavailable for rental purposes.   Who cares if the stuff sells late.  The idea of vendors is to actually SELL stuff not let it sit for months and months in the hope someone will come and buy.   Sure you aren't paying fees on them however the idea of a vendor is to sell and the quicker the better, the fee is beside the point.    I currently have over 1100 items for sale on my Oceania vendors, NONE of which are the new type as I do not have the lockdowns spare.   Those vendors are good for one off pop up merchants or those who only want one or two vendors or a vendor for high end items.  Not for merchant houses like mine. I supply my shard with everything from spellbooks to basic lrc suits to plants and lots of low end stuff.  I take the hit on the vendor fees as after you have so many platinums it becomes more of a service.   I offer my high end items for sale and when it doesn't sell after a month ship it to Atlantic where it will sell.

So, is my expectation, we will see these Shard Bound items show up on np daily fee Vendors and players coming later on when the Event was held, might be able to find them up for sale on their low population shard because, thanking to the wisdom of the Developers, their having been made Shard Bound prevented them to be taken to Atlantic to sell for a pretty penny.

MissE:  You wont find that as people like ME who probably used to supply the stuff for the shard aren't bothering to even FARM shard bound items.     Certainly not for the odd chance that some mythical new player will come along in 10 mths time and want to buy it.   ie  I have 3 books from the current Ice event,  300 points worth.  I will KEEP those three books in case I have chars in the future that need a +20 magery book.  I will NOT bother to get anymore as I cannot sell them on Atlantic.  So instead of me getting 10 or more books, 7 of which would of been available for other players to buy there will be NONE.  

You forget that for every item taken to be sold on Atlantic there are an equal amount of items being bought back to the shards.  

Sorry for the book. I will not be responding further as there is no point. 

Cheers MissE

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    @MissE said:
     You forget that for every item taken to be sold on Atlantic there are an equal amount of items being bought back to the shards.  

Popps does not understand this.  I ask players when I go to Atlantic.  No one has anything to take.
    But on the return, players do want things brought back.  He thinks the items taken to Atl stay on Atl.  Many items are taken from shard A to Atl and then transferred to Shard B.

One of the common items that are taken from small shard to small shard via Atlantic are power scrolls.  Popps has no clue about the economy, he is busy wanting to get something from killing a Troll in Ice.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    @ MissE said:

Popps does not understand this.  I ask players when I go to Atlantic.  No one has anything to take.
    But on the return, players do want things brought back.  He thinks the items taken to Atl stay on Atl.  Many items are taken from shard A to Atl and then transferred to Shard B.

One of the common items that are taken from small shard to small shard via Atlantic are power scrolls.  Popps has no clue about the economy, he is busy wanting to get something from killing a Troll in Ice.

And don't forget the many Players that nowdays have moved their main Home in a Low Pop Shard where it is possible to have a Keep or a Castle without selling a kidney.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,083
    Pawain said:
    he is busy wanting to get something from killing a Troll in Ice.
    Wouldn't this be considered Troll on Troll crime??  :D
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:
    he is busy wanting to get something from killing a Troll in Ice.
    Wouldn't this be considered Troll on Troll crime??  :D

:D
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,945Moderator
    Trolling aside, I believe, when respectfully expressed, the message in this thread is

'shard bound may not be working as expected, would you consider re-thinking it please?'

This discussion has been closed.