Forest of the Dark spawn corpses decay unusually fast... what gives ?

I have noticed that, the corpses of the Forest of the Dark spawn decay unusually fast.

So fast, that it ain't possible to wait for their loot corpse to go public to loot it... it decays before the corpse's content becomes public...

This happens only with the Spawn MoBs, though, The Guide boss corpse remains for a while after going public before it decays....

I have never seen before spawn corpses decaying this fast so, I am inclined to suspect this as a bag...

It would be good if it was fixed and if the corpses would be made capable of remaining accessable for a while after their corpse's content goes public...

Comments

• Probably by design aggressive garbage collection -- freeing up resources etc...
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I was thinking more along the line of just clearing out the clutter. Have you tried to find your body under some of the piles?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    The Black gate spawn did the same.  There's too much clutter if they stay.  Go in war mode and use auto open corpse.  I have a ton of tribal berries and human ears.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited November 2020
    Pawain said:
    The Black gate spawn did the same.  There's too much clutter if they stay.  Go in war mode and use auto open corpse.  I have a ton of tribal berries and human ears.
    It works only on the corpses that one kills.

On corpses killed by other players one gets the message that they lack looting rights.

Unfortunately, the decay timer comes before the Public corpse timer so, the corpses are gone before they can be looted by anyone who did not get looting rights on them.

I know this, because I did test it.... I stood by several corpses at the spawn double clicking on them a go-go, uninterruptedly, and always got the message I lacked looting rights to open them and they were gone, decayed, before the corpse went public.

And you know who this unfortunate change affects negatively the most ?

New and returning players who could have a chance to gather gold and some items from these corpses but are now prevented to by corpses decaying too fast....

@Bleak , @Kyronix , do you mind, please, to set the corpses decay timer a little longer so that they would go public for a while to give to players who did not kill them and, thus, have no looting rights, the ability to still have some time to loot them ?

This would greatly help New and Returning players would can find in these Events mass participated by players, a good chance to gather gold and items to get started in Ultima Online.

Thanks.
    Too much clutter if the corpses stayed, 
    Pawain said:
    Too much clutter if the corpses stayed, 
    I did not say to let them stay forever, just increase their decay timer to overlap the public corpse timer for some time so as to give to players a reasonable time to loot corpses which they did not have looting rights on.

It would tremendously help New and Returning players so, why not ?

I do not think it is a big deal to have a few more minutes for a corpse to stay up before it decays...
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited November 2020

Popps is sometimes quite exhausting, especially because I have to translate myself into my mother tongue all the time from English to German. But I think he is quite capable of learning. * smiles*

Translate Nobutada from German to Englisch:

Nobutada:
    Please forgive, too many mind.

Nathan Algren:
    Too many mind?

Nobutada:
    Hai. Mind the sword, mind the people watch, mind the enemy, too many mind... [pause] No mind.

(From: Last Samurai)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    popps said:
    I have noticed that, the corpses of the Forest of the Dark spawn decay unusually fast.

This is normal for champion spawn corpses, for the exact same reason as @Pawain has already stated. Most people who do champion spawns often can confirm that.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Too much clutter will cause alot of lag, especially for the first two waves there would be hundreds of corpses. I have yet to see anyone try to loot those lower level mobs during champ spawn - everyone is only interested in drops and the boss.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    you can loot others kills, its just a sec or two though.
    In EC client, the bars don't stay up, after you open corpse.
    And I have looted one of the crystals off the blood elemental, that someone else left.

but it is very fast.
    i was standing next to it, when i saw the body flip.
    i opened corpse, selected the crystal.
    and then the body was gone
    Mariah said:
    popps said:

This is normal for champion spawn corpses, for the exact same reason as @ Pawain has already stated. Most people who do champion spawns often can confirm that.
    I am only asking, to increase the decay timer a little bit to "overlap" for a minute or so the corpse going public timer so as to give time to players who have no looting rights on that corpse to still be able to loot it.

I do not think that such a marginal increase of the decay timer at these spawns would create "that" much of an issue.

Yet, it would enable players, for example New and Returning players, to be able to gather gold and items from these corpses to help them get a start on a Server.
    you can loot others kills, its just a sec or two though.
    In EC client, the bars don't stay up, after you open corpse.
    And I have looted one of the crystals off the blood elemental, that someone else left.

but it is very fast.
    i was standing next to it, when i saw the body flip.
    i opened corpse, selected the crystal.
    and then the body was gone
    There is almost no overlap, perhaps a fraction of a second if even...

I think the overlap should be more generous. Not too large, but neither what it is now.

I'd say like 1 minute would be reasonable enough.

The other option is to reduce the timer for the looting rights. That is, anticipate the public corpse so as that there would be time to loot the corpse before it decays because it went public earlier.

@popps in a minute I would have killed hundreds more and the hamsters would go on strike.

Use auto open kill the mobs and loot what you earn.  Pick up gold at the end if you need 10k gold.
  • ITS A CHAMP SPAWN. they decay fast 
    Pawain said:
    @ popps in a minute I would have killed hundreds more and the hamsters would go on strike.

Use auto open kill the mobs and loot what you earn.  Pick up gold at the end if you need 10k gold.
    I am not sure why you address me...

I do not need the 10k gold.... yet, there can be new and returning players who might, and not only the 10k at the end, but also the other thousands of gp from the corpses laying around all over the place...

All it would need, is a small adjustment to the timers making it so that the corpse decay timer only triggers AFTER the corpse public loot timer has kicked in for a minute or so thus giving time to players who may want to check the corpses to be able to...
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    @popps I have never seen anyone complain as much as this
    RockStaR said:
    @ popps I have never seen anyone complain as much as this
    Without complains there is no feedback and thus no improvements...

It is a good thing to hear what does not work for some, so that those who can do something, if they agree with the feedback, can then make adjustments....

Yesmen, to my experience, can get a business belly up, eventually, it is critics, I learned over the course of my life, who, sometimes, can help make one see when something needs to be addressed.

I way more prefer to have critics around me then yesmen.....

With your ideas you always will.

I have a screen shot full of dead bodies but it's huge so I won't post it.

We told you.  All those bodies will cause lag. Also these new players you speak of would never find their body with no undertaker staff.

You just won't give up after we tell you why things won't work your way.
    Pawain said:

With your ideas you always will.

I have a screen shot full of dead bodies but it's huge so I won't post it.

We told you.  All those bodies will cause lag. Also these new players you speak of would never find their body with no undertaker staff.

You just won't give up after we tell you why things won't work your way.
    And I said it, those corpses do not need to stay there forever, what is only necessary is an "overlap" of about 1 minute in between when the corpse goes public and it then decays.

I do not think it is a big deal and, yet, it could be helpful to many players who might want to loot corpses on which they have no looting rights in these Events........
    edited November 2020
    When the total spawn can last 6 minutes or less, 1 minute matters....

Ears and berries are not going to make new players rich. A couple of piles of gold from the boss would give them more gold than opening corpses and getting killed and losing insurance money and more if they cant find their body under the pile.  I feel like a tape recording on replay over and over.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Champion spawn mobs have always decayed fast, and serious champion spawners do not stop to loot corpses, because if they do they are not killing fast enough to advance the spawn, and if they do not advance the spawn, they do not get drops.

I seem to have noticed someone *coughs* complaining about lack of drops?

This type of  event is not the best way for new and returning players to boost their bank balances, the whole of the rest of the game will do that.

Send them to kill Tsuki wolves. No magery to get hit with, easy to dodge and around 1k per kill.
  • Pawain said:
    When the total spawn can last 6 minutes or less, 1 minute matters....

Ears and berries are not going to make new players rich. A couple of piles of gold from the boss would give them more gold than opening corpses and getting killed and losing insurance money and more if they cant find their body under the pile.  I feel like a tape recording on replay over and over.
    Groundhogs Day GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited November 2020
    @popps ;
    If it’s the new players you are worried about, then let the vets show them the way.

The proper way to clear the champ spawn is to kill the first 4 wave fast.
    Do not loot.

When the boss pop, do as much damage as possible, so you may get a drop.

After the boss died, loot as much gold as u like from the floor.

—-
    As a vet, I won’t teach new players to waste time opening corpses of Low level mobs in the middle of clearing a champ spawn... unless I am a noob too.
    Seth said:
    @ popps 
    If it’s the new players you are worried about, then let the vets show them the way.

The proper way to clear the champ spawn is to kill the first 4 wave fast.
    Do not loot.

When the boss pop, do as much damage as possible, so you may get a drop.

After the boss died, loot as much gold as u like from the floor.

—-
    As a vet, I won’t teach new players to waste time opening corpses of Low level mobs in the middle of clearing a champ spawn... unless I am a noob too.
    Well, Blood Elementals and Rotten corpses have decent gold on them....

For a player just starting on the Shard who wanted to gather some gold, they could soon get, by looting these corpses (if their decay timer was made a bit longer to permit the public corpse timer to overlap), quite several tens of thousands of gold plus the gold at the end of the Boss kill....

Considering that, at least now, this spawn gets going every 30 minutes, a new player starting on a Shard in a few hours could put together several hundreds thousands of gps.....

Why not do it ?

I mean, would it make the Spawn unplayable if the decay timer was adjusted a little longer to permig the public corpse to overlap for some time ?

I don't think so.

So, why not do it if it can help some players starting on a Shard ?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    @popps - You are talking about looting 1-2k gold from MAYBE 20 blood eles / rotting corpses compared to an easy 60k dropping on the ground after the champ dies.

Why does it seem like you always want to do things the long and hard way and then complain about it should be fixed to be shorter when there is already a solution put in place?

Bottom line is a champ spawn isn't actually for loot of the minions (never has); it's for the end reward (or statues in this case). So once again you would have new players try to pick up 1k from every corpse rather than just tell them to hit the champ, get the belt, sell the belt for a quick 10's of million gold. SMH :s
    edited November 2020
    @popps
    Summarise: Propose to lengthen decay timer for the corpses of last wave before boss pops.

I can agree with this, not the first 3 waves. Normally the last wave are powerful mobs and they could have good loots - sometimes a clean splintering 20. E.g. demon spawns are great as balrons drop some nice stuff once a while.

Add: last wave mob are much lesser in numbers too.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    edited November 2020
    Seth said:
    @ popps
    Summarise: Propose to lengthen decay timer for the corpses of last wave before boss pops.

I can agree with this, not the first 3 waves. Normally the last wave are powerful mobs and they could have good loots - sometimes a clean splintering 20. E.g. demon spawns are great as balrons drop some nice stuff once a while.

and i just want to loot the crystal which usually only spawn on monsters at the 4th wave from both black gate and current event, and sometimes you are just too busy with other mobs and when you are done and go back the corpse is long gone. 
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited November 2020
    Like I said this is a champ spawn. You have to kill monsters quickly to progress. You do not loot  you get the reward at the end.  DO NOT change anything with the new dynamic champs. I do t want anything broken.   Popps I am sure you don’t usually do champs as you will know how they work.  Just stop asking questions about everything you can’t do just to make your life easier. There are plenty of other monsters to loot. Go to the dojo if you want to loot.  Champs are not the place to do it 
    Seth said:
    @ popps

This would be a good compromise, if necessary...

Not sure, though, how complex it would be for the Developers to adjust the decay timer only for the last 1 or 2 waves....

I said to do it for all waves because I thought it would have been easier, from a coding point of view...

But if increasing the corpse decay timer only for the last 2 waves can be done easily, then I am good with it.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    For what it's worth, I am actually enjoying the challenge of trying to stay alive and loot the blood elementals for the crystals before they decay. I'm also looting the savages for tribal berries because I have a bajillion cooking large bods for Artisan Festival that I've been ignoring. It keeps me engaged and gives me something to do while my pet goes on a slaughter spree.

As others have said - champion spawns are coded this way and always have been. It would be insane if the corpses stayed longer than they do. Everyone has the exact same amount of time to loot what they (or their party members) earned loot rights on.