UO still needs a gold sink!

we have 20+ years of gold accumulated in this game. and we have tons of players that have been around that long... there have been days ive made 20plat in a day...i know others who have made more.....  we need a way to get gold out of the game, not just 20m here 40 mil there...a real chunk of gold at a time.......
So heres my idea. What do people spend gold on in game...well the same things they spend money on in rl...big flashy things to impress the people around them.  People will pay insane amounts of money for a junk CU just because of its color "blaze". People will pay slightly less but still insane amounts for rehued renemed EM things.    
We already have Gypsy's in game. Why not take a page from WOW and their darkmoon fair.   Why not have the Gypsy camp set up outside a town for 3 days once a month. they could offer rehued pets, not more powerful, not a new graphic "unless an artist wants to make something special"  
you could have an exotic trainer in this band of Gypsys. they could offer one rehued pet a month. lets say when they rolled up in Yew this trainer offered an abyssal hued CU for 4plat....and that 3 day span is the one and only time they will ever offer that hue of that animal....   now thats a gold sink.  people will spend all month making money for when our beloved Gypsys roll in.. people will look forward to it.... people will buy stable slot tokens off the store!
Lets say for example, they show up on a Friday outside the town of Yew. They have games u can play for turn ins "like in the dungeons now". you pay gold to play these games and it would be totally random as to if you win or not. the games themselves could cost less as you would be working to a bigger prize. a deco item of some sort thats is currently in game but not available to players
 The same could be done with a weapons master, they could have some really nice weps... some could be equipable only in fel "for the pvp lovers"  they could also only do damage to other players in that facet, would be useless on monsters.Could apply same thing to armor for fel pvp.
You could also make them sell bank sitting armor...where it would be a set of pretty much junk armor but it could look uber cool and have a sparkle effect or something when u double clicked it..... all this stuff couple also be a plat or so.....    anyway just my random thoughts as i sit here trying to find a reason to log into UO......

Comments

• Please share how you made 20 plat on several occasions. 
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    host an official auction with special items once every 3 months and just let ppl bid. This will sink as much money as it can be. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Rich player problems....
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Please share how you made 20 plat on several occasions. 

Idocs lol
  • Pawain said:
    Rich player problems....

well rich player problems roll down hill friend. when there is an inflation of gold then even common every day crap prices raise.  and to people returning or people who dont farm for drops, em items or do idocs it can be really challenging to keep up
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2020
    1) If paying cash to increase our account veteran year is not acceptable, maybe can consider using game gold, say pay 1 platinum for one year in account age.

2) I am not sure if this is a good idea, which is to allow paying of uo store item using game gold. Make it possible but not "cheap". 

3) Character transfer is overkill. Most of the time, we do that just to transfer items. Sell a token with 100 charges that can be used for item transfer between shards. One charge per transfer.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Pawain said:
    Rich player problems....

well rich player problems roll down hill friend. when there is an inflation of gold then even common every day crap prices raise.  and to people returning or people who dont farm for drops, em items or do idocs it can be really challenging to keep up

Start the roll Ill take a plat or 2. Ill spend mine and not need incentive.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    we have 20+ years of gold accumulated in this game. and we have tons of players that have been around that long... there have been days ive made 20plat in a day...i know others who have made more.....  we need a way to get gold out of the game, not just 20m here 40 mil there...a real chunk of gold at a time.......
    So heres my idea. What do people spend gold on in game...well the same things they spend money on in rl...big flashy things to impress the people around them.  People will pay insane amounts of money for a junk CU just because of its color "blaze". People will pay slightly less but still insane amounts for rehued renemed EM things.    
    We already have Gypsy's in game. Why not take a page from WOW and their darkmoon fair.   Why not have the Gypsy camp set up outside a town for 3 days once a month. they could offer rehued pets, not more powerful, not a new graphic "unless an artist wants to make something special"  
    you could have an exotic trainer in this band of Gypsys. they could offer one rehued pet a month. lets say when they rolled up in Yew this trainer offered an abyssal hued CU for 4plat....and that 3 day span is the one and only time they will ever offer that hue of that animal....   now thats a gold sink.  people will spend all month making money for when our beloved Gypsys roll in.. people will look forward to it.... people will buy stable slot tokens off the store!
    Lets say for example, they show up on a Friday outside the town of Yew. They have games u can play for turn ins "like in the dungeons now". you pay gold to play these games and it would be totally random as to if you win or not. the games themselves could cost less as you would be working to a bigger prize. a deco item of some sort thats is currently in game but not available to players
     The same could be done with a weapons master, they could have some really nice weps... some could be equipable only in fel "for the pvp lovers"  they could also only do damage to other players in that facet, would be useless on monsters.Could apply same thing to armor for fel pvp.
    You could also make them sell bank sitting armor...where it would be a set of pretty much junk armor but it could look uber cool and have a sparkle effect or something when u double clicked it..... all this stuff couple also be a plat or so.....    anyway just my random thoughts as i sit here trying to find a reason to log into UO......

I got a suggestion...

Why don't you distribute those Plats among new and returning players who need it VERY much in order to afford all of the High end items, Powerscrolls that would make them competitive with existing, Veteran players ?

Giving something to buy would just make it yet another exclusive items that only those with the "Plats" can afford to buy....

Instead, re-distributing the gold to New and Returning players would bring back all of the players' base to a more common ground....

Just a thought.....
  • Why not just sell blaze, black and white coat dyes for pets through the store? It's simple and it keeps the lights on.

• The "economy" of a game doesn't need to work as an economy.  It has to work as a game mechanic.  In real life there can be all kinds of problems with concentration of wealth, inflation, wages not keeping pace with costs, employers being able to old down wages while increasing costs, and the like.  These problems don't need to be duplicated in a fictional economy that's really a game mechanic.

So the question we really need to ask is if these issues hurt players down the ladder, like myself?  Would any solution that removes gold from the economy help or hurt them?  If a gold sink eliminated the possibility of being an in-game billionaire, but prices stay stagnant, then a mid-tier player got an EM item and found he couldn't sell it for more than a few million, who has really been hurt?  The buying power of the mid-tier player is either the same as, or worse than, was the case before the implementation of the gold sink.

And to my mind this is the most important question: Is there evidence that any new players that do happen to show up can't acquire enough gear or gold to advance?  Either through loot or purchase?
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    By having a gold sink, something not needed, and deco only, gets gold out of the game, causing prices to drop, because there is less gold. The best thing for new/returning players is to get gold out of the system, so that gold they earn from killing dragons, and doing tmaps is a decent income(tmaps just ruined this now that you get 20k+)
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited October 2020
    yes more gold sinks for cosmetic purposes (dyes, styles) and for titles much like the loyalty cities titles , these were great gold sinks , need more of that
    How about they bring back chaos vs virtue or factions with some gold sinks tied to them, or even a revamp to vvv with some gold sinks
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Why not just sell blaze, black and white coat dyes for pets through the store? It's simple and it keeps the lights on.

Great idea
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I see little difference between "Gold Sinks" and Pay to Play.

Unless you can come up with a way to make sure the "gold" comes from the player not "Avatar" and his like it's not worth the effort. I can see the web having a sale on in game gold just in time for the "Gypsy Fair".
  • Norry said:
    By having a gold sink, something not needed, and deco only, gets gold out of the game, causing prices to drop, because there is less gold. The best thing for new/returning players is to get gold out of the system, so that gold they earn from killing dragons, and doing tmaps is a decent income(tmaps just ruined this now that you get 20k+)

There are a lot of things that go into pricing.  It's not just the amount of money available in an economy.  If gold you can get from PvM doesn't mean anything anymore then why is gold farming still a thing, which it is? 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408

this si the only game i played the gold stay on ground after champ and no one loot gold...and still price go up...maybe some massive gold dupe still occur just saying...

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited October 2020
    How about you just remove all gold other than ONE plat from every accounts bank.   Make it the maximum gold any account can hold is 1 plat.  And EJ accounts the max 10 mil.   Problem solved, the absolute gold sink.  Want more then open up more accounts.  No need for anything else.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Norry said:

There are a lot of things that go into pricing.  It's not just the amount of money available in an economy.  If gold you can get from PvM doesn't mean anything anymore then why is gold farming still a thing, which it is? 

Its one thing to base an economy  with bot accounts, and dupped gold, and another thing to base it off what a player can earn in 8 hours of play.

Many games will go through, ban rmt sellers, and strip rmt buyers(ffxi did this for a while)