It’s your fault!

Ever wondered why bugs sit in bug section un-actioned for over 2 years?

Well now we know, it’s you fault:

” We appreciate you guys writing up issues found in Bugs section of the UO Forums!  Please know that they are checked and we have to confirm them to write them up.  The problem is sometimes there really is not enough information to confirm issues submitted.  Giving details really helps us and lessens the frustration you guys might have because a bug is not fixed.”

(source: https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-newsletter-51)

For example @InLor
your bug posted May 2018. may as well be written in Chinese!! so vague and unreproducible..
 
https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1228/macro-order-rearranges-itself-after-you-change-any-step-cc

Please everyone try and do better. 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002


Comments

  • Dangit, I was hoping you wouldn't figure it out . . .
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • VladimirVladimir Posts: 29
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 111
    I get this too when vendor search crashes.  I have gotten this message for example when the search string was "spellbook."  I search on spellbook multiple times when I play because I am a mage.  Sometimes I get the try again message right off the bat and other times at some point during the play session.  Have never kept track of how often it comes up. Don't see this message every time I play.  Maybe once every couple of weeks.  Usually, when I see this message vendor search is unusable for the rest of the night or at least a half an hour.

    Agree that bug messages should be specific.  Would time of date and date also be helpful?  Maybe, screen shots?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 111
    By the way what the macro poster describes happens to me every time I try to add something to a macro.  For me, I don't think it is a bug.  I can see what gets shifted when I modify the macro.  When I am finished adding things I just put everything back into the correct order and most of my macros work fine after that.  Sometimes I may have to change the delay time like you mentioned in your post.
  • SethSeth Posts: 619
    edited August 10
    Mervyn said:
    Ever wondered why bugs sit in bug section un-actioned for over 2 years?

    Well now we know, it’s you fault:

    ” We appreciate you guys writing up issues found in Bugs section of the UO Forums!  Please know that they are checked and we have to confirm them to write them up.  The problem is sometimes there really is not enough information to confirm issues submitted.  Giving details really helps us and lessens the frustration you guys might have because a bug is not fixed.”

    (source: https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-newsletter-51)

    For example @ InLor
    your bug posted May 2018. may as well be written in Chinese!! so vague and unreproducible..
     
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1228/macro-order-rearranges-itself-after-you-change-any-step-cc

    Please everyone try and do better. 
    How "unclear" is it to say that uo store pet dies no ghost which i posted very long time ago. I could not recall what I did that caused this, but there was a patch to fix pet dies no ghost issue due to some pet commands about 1 or 2 years ago? But yet no one address that 1000 sovereign paid for the pet. It also seemed I was not the only one with such issues. Was there no record of purchase to validate my claim. Or you mean you suspect i would intentionally release my pet and claim its a bug?

    How unclear are those bugs written about EC map, journal, health bars updating, crystak portal location bug, paper doll bug with tabard, etc? 

    The most important and most unclear is

    why no one from Dev team "clarified" any bugs listed in the bug forum if they call them unclear?

    Don't ask me to send to bugs email, that crystal portal issue was emailed like 5 years and still no response. At least posting on bug forum is visible to public and it shall be proof of inaction for X years to come.

    As said before, 
    Customers do not expect you to be perfect. But we do expect you to fix issues, bugs and problems. 
    You and Several Others like this wishlist:
    Making wearable artifacts shard bound is the worst idea in entire UO history.


  • SethSeth Posts: 619
    edited August 10
    I am going to write this. 

    I think Kyronix mentioned they will dedicate some time to fix the bugs in coming publish. 

    Frankly speaking, I think bugs are always a priority. Currently it feels like this is "additional work", so they will do this just once. 

    Long time ago, maybe during OSI days, they did mention the process of each publish involves passing through QA. I wonder if this position still exist in Broadsword.
    You and Several Others like this wishlist:
    Making wearable artifacts shard bound is the worst idea in entire UO history.


  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,138
    Arnold7 said:
    By the way what the macro poster describes happens to me every time I try to add something to a macro.  For me, I don't think it is a bug.  I can see what gets shifted when I modify the macro.  When I am finished adding things I just put everything back into the correct order and most of my macros work fine after that.  Sometimes I may have to change the delay time like you mentioned in your post.
    This is a 20 year old bug
  • FortisFortis Posts: 191
    edited August 10

    :-)


  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,094
    You typically get paid to QA, not the other way around.
    You and Several Others like this.


    Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it.
  • It is difficult to get more primary source information on a bug without using it over and over again, thus breaking the rules in our own right and subjecting our accounts to action.  Further if we do our informal QA testing in others' houses, we subject their accounts to action as well.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 887
    You typically get paid to QA, not the other way around.
    Amen to Garth.

    And they need to fix bugs, after a whole year of nothing except EM tools... *yawns*

    Unless those EM tools stop lag at EM events, not even real sure what they did em for, other than a QOL thing for the EMs

  • SethSeth Posts: 619
    it's a 20+ years bug.

    One of them caused this, and it will be passed on to next generation...
    • "Lord British" Richard Garriott - Creator
    • Jason "Stormwind" Spangler - 1996 - 2011 (except for 1998 - 2000)
    • J.P. "TheGrimmOmen" Harrod - Lead CG Supervisor (2001 - 2012)
    • Anne "Silvani" Pitkin - UO: Third Dawn to Kingdom Reborn
    • Marco "Spada" Sederquist - UO: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge to Kingdom Reborn
    • Tim "Draconi" Cotten - Lead Designer UO: Stygian Abyss
    • John "Wilki" Wilkinson - Designer (2004 - 2010)


    You and Several Others like this wishlist:
    Making wearable artifacts shard bound is the worst idea in entire UO history.


  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    YOU LEAVE SILVANI OUT OF THIS!!!   Hell dont you dare blame any of them  till you can say your perfect.  That I doubt you ever will be.   (notice i am not aiming this at anyone so dont get your panties in a bunch to remove it)  
    No one is perfect and in the coding game of the 1990's it was truly in its infancy.  If you need to rally at something go for TIME.  Time was the biggest enemy of any game out there. The world of coding and making on line games went in leaps and bounds. Professors at CSUN told their classes that by the time the finished the course in programming it would be worthless as the speed of the main stream industry was faster then the teaching. 
    Today the Dev work hard to make a old language program mesh with the new and not have it cascade to failure.  Its why the bugs happen to begin with. Don't go ok then rewrite the game in the new language.... ahhhh no.. there is no budget to take UO off line and pick it apart and redo the whole thing.  Much less EA letting them, they would love to sunset this game if given half the chance. 

    * note to the reader* Silvani and I were good friends in the old days when I was a counselor.  When a player asked a hard question or had a difficult problem she and i would put our heads together to get a solution.  She was one lady for the player. I miss her dearly.
  • InLorInLor Posts: 353
    Bilbo said:
    Arnold7 said:
    By the way what the macro poster describes happens to me every time I try to add something to a macro.  For me, I don't think it is a bug.  I can see what gets shifted when I modify the macro.  When I am finished adding things I just put everything back into the correct order and most of my macros work fine after that.  Sometimes I may have to change the delay time like you mentioned in your post.
    This is a 20 year old bug
    It is. Sorry for the unclear write-up, but you only have to spend 5 minutes creating macros with more than 2 steps and see the issue. What often happens that suddenly step 2 and 3 get swapped.
    Cast spell
    Waitfortarget
    Targetself

    becomes

    Cast spell
    Targetself
    Waitfortarget

    And what triggers it is trying to change one of the steps, like the second one, or the first one (a different spell), or something... Been away for ages.. came back and saw I was mentioned.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,138
    InLor said:
    Bilbo said:
    Arnold7 said:
    By the way what the macro poster describes happens to me every time I try to add something to a macro.  For me, I don't think it is a bug.  I can see what gets shifted when I modify the macro.  When I am finished adding things I just put everything back into the correct order and most of my macros work fine after that.  Sometimes I may have to change the delay time like you mentioned in your post.
    This is a 20 year old bug
    It is. Sorry for the unclear write-up, but you only have to spend 5 minutes creating macros with more than 2 steps and see the issue. What often happens that suddenly step 2 and 3 get swapped.
    Cast spell
    Waitfortarget
    Targetself

    becomes

    Cast spell
    Targetself
    Waitfortarget

    And what triggers it is trying to change one of the steps, like the second one, or the first one (a different spell), or something... Been away for ages.. came back and saw I was mentioned.
    LMAO Did I dispute any facts what so ever in this thread, no I did not.  Alls I said that this bug has been here for 20+ years, maybe you need to take a refresher class in basic reading.
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    Personally I think it was a early Dev attempt to curb macroing that didnt work right
  • InLorInLor Posts: 353
    Bilbo said:
    InLor said:
    Bilbo said:
    Arnold7 said:
    By the way what the macro poster describes happens to me every time I try to add something to a macro.  For me, I don't think it is a bug.  I can see what gets shifted when I modify the macro.  When I am finished adding things I just put everything back into the correct order and most of my macros work fine after that.  Sometimes I may have to change the delay time like you mentioned in your post.
    This is a 20 year old bug
    It is. Sorry for the unclear write-up, but you only have to spend 5 minutes creating macros with more than 2 steps and see the issue. What often happens that suddenly step 2 and 3 get swapped.
    Cast spell
    Waitfortarget
    Targetself

    becomes

    Cast spell
    Targetself
    Waitfortarget

    And what triggers it is trying to change one of the steps, like the second one, or the first one (a different spell), or something... Been away for ages.. came back and saw I was mentioned.
    LMAO Did I dispute any facts what so ever in this thread, no I did not.  Alls I said that this bug has been here for 20+ years, maybe you need to take a refresher class in basic reading.
    I was referring to the post that said my report was unclear. Sorry for the confusion.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 3,047
     :D 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,138
     B) 
  • InLorInLor Posts: 353
    Personally I think it was a early Dev attempt to curb macroing that didnt work right
    That would be... weird.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
Sign In or Register to comment.