Cannot disturb own concentration for Mysticism, spellweaving, & chiv

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited August 2020 in Bugs
As described, in game there are times when you will want to interrupt your own spell in order to cancel it (by setting off a trapped box) It seems you can't do this for spellweaving, chivalry, or Mysticism spells.(you can for necromancy and magery), not sure about ninjitsu.
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2020
    I should perhaps explain further,
    some spells take a long time to cast, especially spell weaving spells like word of death and essence of wind (especially if you don’t have faster casting 4) and you cast the spell and in that time a lot can happen, you may need to stop casting and heal someone. Or in the case of essence of wind which is not a target spell, quite often the target has moved out of range during the spell casting period so continuing the cast is a waste of time and mana. 

I have not experienced any issue with this for chivalry spells as they all have a fairly fast casting time. 

I imagine there may be some other work around to cancel a spell during casting that someone may know of. I’m interested to hear practical suggestions from players,
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Also for mysticism, if you start casting a new heal stone or spell trigger, and I see it.
    I could x field someone by the time they've finished casting.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Please fix soon, affecting gameplay still”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    An explicit action "cancel in progress spell cast" should be added.  This would help when you get hit with blood oath in the middle of casting a spell against the same target.

The ability to use trapped boxes to break paralysis should be removed from the game.
    edited June 2021
    “That should not be necessary, I’m not at my pc right now, but I’m pretty sure being hit with blood oath mid cast will disturb concentration anyway. And if you’re under protection or casting focus, simply don’t release the spell when the target cursor appears  (if you have your spells to auto target on EC that is user choice)

just fixing current bug will suffice, no extra features”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    “That should not be necessary, I’m not at my pc right now, but I’m pretty sure being hit with blood oath mid cast will disturb concentration anyway. And if you’re under protection or casting focus, simply don’t release the spell when the target cursor appears  (if you have your spells to auto target on EC that is user choice)

just fixing current bug will suffice, no extra features”

Not really.  Earthquake, Wither, Thunderstorm, etc, do not involve a target cursor.  Separate from that, with EC, you can have spells activate without seeing a target cursor.

With magery spells, sometimes you can cause the spell to fizzle by equipping a non-SC weapon.  Still not a real fix.

Relying on the behavior of trapped boxes is strange.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    An explicit action "cancel in progress spell cast" should be added.  This would help when you get hit with blood oath in the middle of casting a spell against the same target.

The ability to use trapped boxes to break paralysis should be removed from the game.
    +1
    edited June 2021
    edited July 2021
    "This bug is primary cause of death on spellweaver, it is not good to die because of a bug"
    "plaease this is not fair, you press wrong button and you're dead, very unfair"
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Better macro selection?? A trapped box was never intended to be used in this manner and should have no effect on any spell or break paralysis..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited November 2021
    Yoshi, can you ask about this at the next meet and greet?  (that is, the explicit action to cancel an in process spell).  

Also, a related topic is the inconsistent handling of invalid targets with spell targeting.  You should always just get to retry the target, vs. the spell being lost (and having to recast) when clicking on something invalid or out of range.  There's another thread on this, but may be good to raise at the same time as this.

Asking about removing trapped box ability to break paralysis is extra credit.

edited November 2021
    “I am unwelcome at meet and greets.

Having a target retry will be very useful actually because currently I’m using ‘range check last target’ however all my targets are using a client that is faster than mine so even with this feature I still receive the ‘target is too far away’ message, so this would be a nice fix, also sometimes target goes around a house so receive ‘target cannot be seen’ or uneven terrain so again that would be a nice feature.

please note, I have discovered you can disturb own concentration on mysticism if you add/remove +mysticism skill items while casting, however there are no +spellweaving skill items” 
    How is using a trapped box different from logging to save your pet? 
    "you're talking about releasing from paralise with a trapped box?
    if you could not do this, i would just kill every single person by using evil omen + paralize and then energy field people even those with resisting spells.
    The trapped box is not instantanious even with the most efficient script, 2 or 3 people can para spam someone to death, as the trapped box deals damage, the trapped box can also be looted post death.

I don't see it as being an issue in either pvm or pvp"
    Yoshi said:
    "you're talking about releasing from paralise with a trapped box?
    if you could not do this, i would just kill every single person by using evil omen + paralize and then energy field people even those with resisting spells.
    The trapped box is not instantanious even with the most efficient script, 2 or 3 people can para spam someone to death, as the trapped box deals damage, the trapped box can also be looted post death.

I don't see it as being an issue in either pvm or pvp"
    You didn't answer my question? You call one an exploit but not the other explain why 
    "I'm not sure why you would call using a trapped box as an exploit, it follows the rules of the game mechanics,
    you're paralised until you receive damage, by using a trapped box you're receiving damage, you still get paralised. I see no exploit"
  • It's strange that you're paralyzed, yet able to somehow reach into your backpack and activate/open a box?  That doesn't seem like you're really paralyzed.  You can't swing a weapon, but you have even more fine motor control to manipulate a box?  hmm.

Following current game mechanics is different than what the game mechanics perhaps should be.
    Trapped box were certainly not created with their current longstanding use in mind i guess the definition of an exploit for merv/yoshi is if it's useful to him or not  ..
    edited November 2021
    “Not sure how it’s useful to me, when I play a mage with 60 necro to evil omen..
    As everyone on atl is fully aware all of my characters have 120 resisting spells, it’s more useful to players without that skill.

I do carry a trapped box as does every single other player in fel as standard kit, however unlike most, mine is not automatically triggered

This is borderline off topic, but are you instead suggesting that players should only be able to counter paralysis using the VvV anti paralysis potion? (Wouldn’t affect me personally as all my chars are in VvV with access to unlimited VvV silver)

the developers also fairly recently added to classic client the macro, use object trapped box, I’m intrigued as to what you believe the purpose of this macro is intended for”
  • Strange that while paralyzed a character has sufficient fine motor control to manipulate/consume a potion.

It's not clear whether the developers want to make any changes here, so perhaps there is no more commentary needed in this thread?  On the other hand, if the developers are interested in other ideas along these lines, please let us know!

“either you’re supposed to be able to disturb your concentration or not, (Standard game mechanics would say you are) either way, there is inconsistency between the spell schools”
  • Would be good to see the list of bugs that will be fixed, and timeframe.
    Would also be good to see the list of bugs that won't be fixed.