Gargoyle Bard/Msytic Armor Suggestions

I'm making a bard/mystic. I have his skills down the way I want them and it is coming time to get him ready to get into the world and do work! 

I'm realizing that there are some challenges to making a good gargoyle suit. I have found some information out there, but nothing very clear. I want to work towards a good permanent suit for this guy an I don't mind spending time farming for drops or materials for my crafter to make the gear. In fact, that will give me something worthwhile to do with my other characters. What would you suggest?

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,029
    edited May 2020
    You might have to answer a couple questions for yourself about how you plan to play before looking at a specific suit.

Is the character primarily a Bard with Mysticism, or a Mystic with Bardic skills? What are this character's bard skills? Which buffs are you planning on keeping up? Are you planning on keeping double buffs up at all times? Are you going to be playing solo or in a group? If in a group, what size is the group?

The answers to those questions will dramatically effect your Bardic mana needs and therefore how much mana will be available for the Mystic portion of your build. Once you've determined your mana use from Bard skills/playstyle, you can start looking at suit builds.

If you're just using a single bard skill as backup for your Mysticism spells, then you could stack SDI on your suit. However, if the Bard portion of the character will be primary, especially if buffing a group, then you're going to need mana regen first and foremost. You may even need to look at suit pieces that add Meditation, depending on your goals for the character.

Like with most things in UO; many options and much depends on how you plan to use the character.

Good luck!
    -Arroth
  • ThaleusThaleus Posts: 15
    My build is 6x/120 including: 

- Musicianship
    - Provocation
    - Discordance
    - Mysticism
    - Meditation
    - Focus

I haven't considered much on "how" i'm going to play the character, just that I want to try something that I haven't tried before. I play mainly solo or with my buddy. I have been wanting to go on more hunts with my guild as well. I also like to do champ spawns. What would you suggest?

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,029
    edited May 2020
    So, not getting into the numbers, this is just off the top of my head:

With both Focus/Med at 120 you should be fine mana wise to keep both Provocation buffs going continuously, even with a party of 10. You'll probably still be able to spell cast frequently if it's a small party. With a large party you should still be able to spell cast a bit, but watch your mana if you're dropping RC's a lot. 

If you run Disco mastery, you'll still get mana drained from those damagers, but you should be able to run them most of the time against a boss. You won't be doing much spellcasting though.

I would say, go for max lower mana cost and mana regen (the disco mastery damagers just take a lot of mana!). You'll probably want a fairly significant mana pool to work from so Intel and Mana Increase will also be helpful. Then start stacking SDI for the Mysticism portion. Str (For HP) and HPI are also always good. I don't run any named artifacts for my bards (except Hephaestus) but that might just be me. You can probably get most of what you need from looted gear. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a more detailed opinion on gear! 

Even with 3x skill buffs for Provocation you will be a big asset to your guild hunts, especially with enough mana to keep those buffs going continuously for a large party. If it's just you and a friend, you can keep everything tied up with provoke, control the map, disco whatever your friend is fighting and keep double buffs going for the both of you. 

When up against bosses, you could switch to Disco mastery and just smash the boss with those damagers. On balance you may do more damage with both the Disco damagers going and a friend (or guild) hitting than with Mysticism. Remember that while not everything can be discorded, the Disco mastery damagers work against everything!

If you haven't played a bard before I would strongly suggest going to Stratics and reading through some of the threads in the Bard forum. If you can get ahold of @Poo, he can walk you through the in's and out's of bards in a way I can't even imagine.

Good luck!
    -Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,033
    Gargoyle necklace and ear rings are difficult to find with good stats. Keep all of those items.
    Go to the roof with him to get items.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.