State of crafting

MalokMalok Posts: 48
edited May 2020 in General Discussions
Hello all,

As a returning player (havent played since AoS era) I really found to appreciate UO after playing many other MMO's, glad to be back. 

I have been playing for the past few weeks and noticed in game loot on mobs that arent hard to kill solo rivals what doom dropped back in the day or better. With that said... What is the state of crafting? 

Is there any in game stat/magical benefit to making your own weapons and armor? (besides the enjoyment and fun for many) I have to ask since the items I see people selling are all mob dropped high end stuff. 

Comments

• RockRock Posts: 567
    edited May 2020
    One word -- imbuing.  Well, this allows a second word as well -- reforging.  With Imbuing, crafted items, as well as a number of looted items, can be customized with up to 5 properties.  The process is not random, and unlike enhancing with another material, is never destructive.  While the highest levels of all imbued properties require rare materials to reach, very useful levels result with common materials.  For example, the LRC property (lower reagent cost) can be imbued with a value up to 20.  Values 19 and 20 require fairy dust.  But if you make a 6-piece set of armor, the value of each only needs to be 17 to add up to 102 LRC total -- i.e., casting with no reagents or Chivalry tax.  See Knuckleheads Imbuing Calculator to get a feel for how this works.

Reforging increases the capabilities of runic tools by incorporating an imbuing-skill factor.  New properties are available beyond what Imbuing alone can accomplish, and property intensities can be higher.  However, a randomness factor remains.  The craftsman can specify the gist of what he wants, but the actual results are indeterminate

These new capabilities do not allow a craftsman to create legendary artifacts.  But what he does create will be fine-tuned.  For example, a high-end looted ring may contain the Nightsight property.  That's fine, but wasted if an elf will be using it?  So while an artifact may have more than 5 properties, very seldom are all those properties useful to the end user.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Show me a melee or archery weapon that's better than what I can craft.

If they made crafting as good as drops they may as well just have mobs drop gold.  We hunt to find stuff.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    Show me a melee or archery weapon that's better than what I can craft.

If they made crafting as good as drops they may as well just have mobs drop gold.  We hunt to find stuff.

I think mobs should drop the best stuff. But crafting definitely needs a bump. A Legendary crafter should at least be able to craft major artifacts. With that, add the ability to imbue ssi on jewels. But have it be just under the max per item cap like DI, SDI, HCI, DCI, etc.

Example: Make it so you can only imbue 5 ssi. 10 ssi items then only come from mobs/chests/etc, just as they do now. Same as DI on jewels 25 crafted vs 30-35 looted, etc.

I fully agree on weapons. The only weapons worth looting are for pvp due to splintering.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Please.  After seeing what they did to treasure chests, and other things, and as weird as reforging is in terms of waste, and refinemenhts...no, please dont let them screw up crafting as well

• Please.  After seeing what they did to treasure chests, and other things, and as weird as reforging is in terms of waste, and refinemenhts...no, please dont let them screw up crafting as well

Uriah sweetie you forgot BODs....I am not sure if I should be happy with all the different BODs, run screaming or cry in agony.
  • Malok said:
    Hello all,

Is there any in game stat/magical benefit to making your own weapons and armor? (besides the enjoyment and fun for many) I have to ask since the items I see people selling are all mob dropped high end stuff. 

People go after the high end mob loot for a few reasons (generally)

1.  Planing and crafting a custom high end suit takes a lot of know how, time and raw materials.

2.  There are a few properties and combination of properties that cannot be crafted.

3.  They're told or under the impression that generic legendary gear mashed together is a good thing.

Craftings okay, needs some tweaks to better compete with top tier loot, but I still love it and do it for a bulk of my time.  The benefit of custom crafted stuff is basically cost can be exponentially  lower and it can be concentrated to suit your specific needs with no wasted mods and properties.  Also can be worked to have artifacts be better utilized.
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    I prefer finding a legendary Smith to custom tailor my suits. They are set up differently depending on what I am doing and proudly do I wear their exceptional mark. 

The role play aspect of this is wonderful and a true master asks the right questions to fill the order. 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • fonsvitaefonsvitae Posts: 51
    The role play aspect of this is wonderful and a true master asks the right questions to fill the order. 
    Would you like some fries with that?