Simple Template Advice

Schuyler_BainSchuyler_Bain Posts: 25
edited January 2020 in Skills and Stats
Ahoy - It has been 6+ years since I played. I came back, subscribed and am ready to dust off my old toons knowing I have a lot of work to do.

I am old (OLD) school and I guess a purest in that I like the old standard templates (read I am not a min/maxer and not a sophisticated player). I enjoy role play as much as "surviving" most encounters. While I have a sampire and mystic mage and other skills available, I want to put together a simple warrior and mage/stealth mage template and this is where I need help (I think). These two toons will stick to PVM and will not try to solo all the content this wonderful game has to offer.

Knowing my intentions for these two, are these templates going to fit for me or has so much changed (like resist) that these combos are just a waste of training and skill points? Also, what stats would be recommended with such builds these days (might be over thinking it). I am open to any and all suggestions. I will play around with the new taming/training options and more advanced builds, but looking for old school simple to knock the rust off a bit.

Warrior:
120 in melee weapon, tactics, chivalry, focus, healing, and anatomy 

(stealth) Mage:
120 magery, evaluating intelligence, meditation, magic resist, hiding, stealth

Thoughts?

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209

Thoughts?
    No. 

Warrior needs parry. That's so close to being a samp you might as well go full in. 

Stealth mage isn't that great at all. Without ninja animal form you'll be walking everywhere. If you're going to use an ethy to run places you might as well drop the hiding/stealth and just cast invis when you get there. 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Sometimes I have a tough time understanding these kinds of posts...

So your not really interested in what’s most effective or being able to kill something...

How about a stealth herder with alchemy who hides and throwers purple pots?

If you have a sampire why not “knock the dust off” killing some trogs or beating down a Miasma... I’m not sure I get the concept of making a crappy character to get back in the swing of things?
  • Thanks
    Merus said:
    I’m not sure I get the concept of making a crappy character to get back in the swing of things?
    A new/returning player wouldn't really know what a bad template is. 

I did hear the straight warrior is better at farming blackthorns than a samp. I can't personally confirm since it's not my cup of tea.
  • A stealth mage is interesting but I would drop hiding and stealth to make it a pure mage if anything. you can always invis, there really is no point to stealth around as a mage unless you pvp 

Cant speak much on the warrior part, I never made warriors

• RockRock Posts: 567
    Merus, sometimes playing a "useless" character is fun.  One of my original characters is SvenXUseless (created before skill caps were raised to 120).  He's a begger/cook/peacemaker/herder with mace and no tactics. The point was, he isn't a min/maxer, just someone who can explore the world with relative safety and have plenty to eat.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    edited February 2020
    Warrior:
    120 in melee weapon, tactics, chivalry, focus, healing, and anatomy
    You have a lot of overlap in the warrior build.  I would choose either chiv/focus or heal/anat.  With charges on runebooks, you don't actually need chiv or mage for recalling.  Thus heal/anat is free to use, with the anatomy also adding to your damage on each blow.  Chiv gives you more options, but you need mana for it.  There are trade-offs as always.

Urge's suggestion about parry is a good, useful one, and "old school" as it gets.  If you are willing to get a little fancy, add bushido as well.  You'll need some mana -- not a lot; good armor can provide mana regen, and if character is human you get 20 focus and meditate free.  Bushido offers nice perks like battle stances, damage increase via perfection, ability to ride and control lesser hiryu without any taming skill. (Heaing skill offers no ability to heal it, but chiv would.)  Alternatives to Bushido include 60 chiv + 60 focus (if healer, for recall and some extra battle abilities). Also you could double up your weapon skills, be both ranged and melee. Even poisoning can be fun, but you'd need another character with alchemy.

Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
    There are some amazing shields out there for cheap. You can be super effective with an old school warrior so don't let that discourage you. 

The stealth mage is what i see a problem with. I've toyed with stealthers for many years. That particular template always lacks something. In my case it was mana. It went from an idea to a not very fun character. 
  • Thank you everyone, I appreciate the insight and the mostly helpful advice.I will have to consider my options. 

on a different note, I have been reading about a Dragoon as an alternative to a Sampire. Seems to me the Necro is removed, but I have seen little on the actual skill mix. Seems like Heal/Anat, but it looks like some serious skill jewels will be needed, especially if raising any base skills to 120. Can anyone provide a skill/stat break down for a Dragoon?

Thanks