LOCKPICKS : Crafted or NPCs' bought.... is there a difference that anyone knows ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,948
edited October 2019 in General Discussions
Usually, the difference between Crafted tools and purchased from NPCs is that, of course depending on the Tinker's skill of the player crafting them, the player made tools come with more charges as compared to those purchased from NPCs.

Lockpicks, come withno charges.... they only either work or break.

Question is, did anyone find out any tangible and visible difference in between player's crafted Lockpicks or those purchased from NPCs ?

Personally, I could find no difference but I would be surprised to learn that they are just equal and the same.... I would imagine that players' crafted were "more effective" in picking a Lock and more resistant, that is, of a longer life as compared to those "NPCs' purchased"......

@Mariah , do you know if there is any tangible and visible difference supposed to exist in how players' made and NPCs' purchased Lockpicks work ? Because, if there was any, at least to my viewing, it does not seem to work as I personally experienced no differences when using either one....

Also, I think that it would be nice if Tinkers could be permitted to craft Skeleton keys and, at 100.0 GM Tinker skill level, be able to also craft the Master Skeleton keys.....

There is also something which puzzles me.... often, when I use Lockpicks to pick a Lock, regardless whether they are players' Crafted or NPCs' purchased lockpicks, I get the message from the Ball of Knowledged that the pick being Locked is Too Easy, or Very Easy, a joke.... that is.....

YET, the lockpick STILL fails to pick that Lock and it breaks.... sometimes, on a Too Easy or Very Easy pick to Lock I get SEVERAL lockpicks to fail and break.....

What gives ?

To me, it does not really make much sense at all..... if the pick to be locked is easy, it should pry open like a charm..... not have it failed multiple times and the lockpick even break, "multiple" lockpicks break in the process....

Thanks !

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I am not aware of a difference in lockpicks.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I"m seriously not trying to be a troll or cause an issue Popps. But it's not a very large investment to go buy some NPC lockpicks  and use "assuming you have one, and of course Test Center has a free one" GM Tinkering and then do the testing yourself is it ? I totally get that you want to know things before  you dive in yourself, but again...
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,948
    I"m seriously not trying to be a troll or cause an issue Popps. But it's not a very large investment to go buy some NPC lockpicks  and use "assuming you have one, and of course Test Center has a free one" GM Tinkering and then do the testing yourself is it ? I totally get that you want to know things before  you dive in yourself, but again...
    I did it, and I came up with moreless what Mariah said..... that is, that there is no difference in players' made Lockpicks or NPCs' bought....

Which, it surprised me a lot since all other tools which can be crafted by players, do have a bonus which increases as the player's skill gets better, over those purchased from NPCs....

Yet, with Lockpicks, there does not seem to be a difference neither in their betterness to pick a Lock, nor in their duration before they break.

I thought this unusual and not right and thought to ask.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Understood
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,097
    edited October 2019
    The difference between crafted tools and bought one is this:

You can craft a new pickaxe and stay in the mines.  You dont have to go away from your worksite and buy another tool.

That is advantage enough. 

"Which, it surprised me a lot since all other tools which can be crafted by players, do have a bonus which increases as the player's skill gets better, over those purchased from NPCs...."

The amount of uses is the bonus?  You can see your Chance to make items.  A crafted tool does not increase that chance.  BoD reward tools have 250 uses. 

Some crafted tools have more uses than others. Skillets can have over 250 uses. Rolling pins never have that many.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Pawain said:
    The difference between crafted tools and bought one is this:

You can craft a new pickaxe and stay in the mines.  You dont have to go away from your worksite and buy another tool.

That is advantage enough. 

"Which, it surprised me a lot since all other tools which can be crafted by players, do have a bonus which increases as the player's skill gets better, over those purchased from NPCs...."

The amount of uses is the bonus?  You can see your Chance to make items.  A crafted tool does not increase that chance.  BoD reward tools have 250 uses. 

Some crafted tools have more uses than others. Skillets can have over 250 uses. Rolling pins never have that many.

An even huger issue MORTAR AND PESTEL LOL on Exceptional will have 190 uses and the next 23 uses.  They need to address this RIGHT NOW!!!!  More so when a non exceptional might have 46 uses TWICE as many as the Exceptional.  This just totally unbalances the entire game!!!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,097
    edited October 2019
    @popps ; those boxes that drop when you bring up Scalis will tear up lockpicks and blow up in your face.  Try the Ball on those.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.