Does Dexterity have any impact on Stealing ?

I have been reading about a Rogue character and, I was trying to figure out what to set the Template's stats, Intelligence, Strength and Dexterity at.

Upon reading the Stealing page, https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/stealing/ , I could find no official information whether or not Dexterity has any impact on the success of a steal and what would be the "target" Dexterity that a player might want to reach for a Rogue Template.

Does anyone more experienced with such a Template know whether Dexterity may or may not have a direct impact on Stealing and what would be the Dexterity "ideally" to be reached, on a Rogue Template ?

Thanks !

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,946
    Also, as in regards to be succesfull at stealing attempts, both in PvP and in PvM, does the type of armor worn matter at all ?

That is, is a thief pretty much mandated to wear only Cloth and Leather unless they want to suffer penalties to their stealing success rates or can they also wear other type of armor just fine ?

Thanks !
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,986Moderator
    As far as I can find out Dexterity does not affect stealing success, however as dexterity is linked to stamina, fairly high dexterity would seem to be desireable. I have, however, in the course of checking into this question, found some relevant information in the UOHerald archive, an old 'five on friday' question, which I will add to the wiki page.

Thanks @Mariah ;

Did you also find any information about whether or not the type or armor worn may or may not matter in regards to the succest rate for stealing ?

Also, is it possible to hold a spellbook in one's own Hand AND also be able to steal without the spellbook be dropped from one's own hand ?

If so, is this valid for all Spell Channelling items ? That is, as long as an item, spellbook or not, is spell channelling, it is possible to steal while having it in one's own hands ?

Thanks !
    Armor affects stealthing difficulty, not stealing difficulty, Both hands must be empty to steal, spell channelling has no impact on your ability to pick something up when your hands are already full.
    edited September 2019
    Mariah said:
    Armor affects stealthing difficulty, not stealing difficulty, Both hands must be empty to steal, spell channelling has no impact on your ability to pick something up when your hands are already full.
    @Mariah

Both hands must be empty to steal

You mean not even a Spellbook can be held in one hand ?

The reason that I am asking about this is that I must figure out the suit and I need to know whether or not I can use a spellbook in hand for the modifiers, particularly Lower Reagents Cost, or I must do without the modifiers on a spellbook and have to "squeeze" them in the suit....

Which, if this was to be the case, of course disadvantages the Rogue template as compared to other Templates who can count on ALSO the modifiers from both hands slots.... a spellbook/weapon and a channelling shield, very often....

If the Rogue has to have both hands empty, clearly, to my viewing, it is then at a gross disadvantage as compared to all other templates who can make use of 2 more slots for more modifiers....
    It takes only one attempt at stealing in game to see the message 'both hands must be empty to steal'. However, you don't need reagents or any other modifiers to steal, you can pick your spellbook back up to cast spells etc afterwards.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    This is the easiest suit and template to build of all professions. If you run into problems ask!
    Mariah said:
    It takes only one attempt at stealing in game to see the message 'both hands must be empty to steal'. However, you don't need reagents or any other modifiers to steal, you can pick your spellbook back up to cast spells etc afterwards.
    @Mariah

Of course one can re-equip the book after the strealing attemp but that, takes time even if a short time, and sometimes, depending on how dependant the template is on whatever modifier might be on the spellbook, could even mean the difference between staying alive or dieing for that character....

Let me make you an example to better explain my thinking.....

Let's imagine, that a Rogue Template is dependant on the +25 Lower Reagent Cost that is on a spellbook in order to reach 100% LRC and thus be able to cast a spell without that chance at fizzling the cast.

Let's imagine, that such a Rogue character, after a steal, needs to hide and stealth away.

Now, using hiding would not work. Sure, there is invisibility potions but, as we know, they are not insurable and add weight (same thing with smoke bombs...), also.... therefore, using the hiding spell would be more effective and with less issues.

Yet, equipping the spellbook after the steal would take crucial time and the player, even when setting a macro to equip the book and cast hiding right after, just for those few moments necessary to "first" equip the spellbook, could become the target of whatever enemies in the area ending up badly....

Of course, Rogue Templates, having to invest an important number of skill points in Rogue skills (120 stealing, 100 snooping, 100 Hiding, 120 Stealth, possibly also 100 Lockpicking, 100 Detect Hidden and maybe even 100 Remove Trap) simply have hardly any room for any of the combat skills.

Hence, they can simply be "of no match" to Templates who, instead, invested heavily in combat skills....

So, for a Rogue character, staying hidden and being able to quickly and easily hide, is absolutely vital to my opinion, not being able to fight much or, at least, not as much as their Targets....

That is why, to my viewing, having a spellbook in hands should be made an "exception" and be permitted to be possible AND steal at the same time.

After all, @Kyronix , this exception is ALREADY existing for the Smuggler's Edge (and rightfully so...) so, why not permit it also for spellbooks ?

You can already do what you're asking if you just hit your arm macro mid cast. I just tested and there is ample time to not only hit the arm macro but disarm as well before the cursor comes up.

You can also toggle arm/disarm while the cursor is up too.

Why change the game when you can just use what's already available?

Urge said:

You can already do what you're asking if you just hit your arm macro mid cast. I just tested and there is ample time to not only hit the arm macro but disarm as well before the cursor comes up.

Fine, but why complicate the life to players having to make complex macros and then have to time them while mid cast when it would be much more easily done by giving the same "exception" code to stealing that the Smuggler's Edge has ?

Furthermore, by using a macro cast mid-cast, it cold always happen that, due to lag, the spell could end up fizzling because the spellbook with the LRC modifier was late before getting equipped by the time that the engine calculated the total LRC in order to fizzle or not that spell.....

Not a complex macro at all. It's in uoassist under arm. You simply set what's in your hand then set your hotkey for arm/disarm. I think there's in game macro versions too! 

Anyways the suit isn't hard to make lrc at all. You can even use the lrc talisman too and skip all this jazz. 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    popps said:
    Urge said:

Fine, but why complicate the life to players having to make complex macros and then have to time them while mid cast when it would be much more easily done by giving the same "exception" code to stealing that the Smuggler's Edge has ?

Furthermore, by using a macro cast mid-cast, it cold always happen that, due to lag, the spell could end up fizzling because the spellbook with the LRC modifier was late before getting equipped by the time that the engine calculated the total LRC in order to fizzle or not that spell.....

Holy smoke man, in today’s UO it’s more than easy enough to build a suit that has all the necessities without having to hold anything.