24 hr wait for shard transfers

Occasionally I play on a non Siege shard and unfortunately it's a dead one with little to no items worth buying in VS. So it usually requires a trip to the UO Mall. Why do we have to wait 24 hrs to make the return ? I'm going to assume it's directly related to shard maintenance I guess. It just seems like a streamlined system now. I transferred to Atlantic and only had to wait 26 minutes before I was able to log in. The system works perfect, as long as you're not up to no good. Why do I now have to wait until 10am tomorrow to return ? I"m going to assume the same 24 hr rule applies to the transfer tokens that are purchased (I'm using shard shields). Anyway, maybe this has been discussed and explained before, just curious.
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Yeah makes no sense to me either.  Someone said you had to have a server reset to clear that the token was used.  That made no sense either, at all.  
  • The transfer system is a little buggy. I've gotten stuck transfers more than once. Hasn't happened in a few years though. Might want to just leave it alone.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    lol
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    that 24 hr wait, gives ya time to go shopping!!!!
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I keep a non playable dude on Atl, he does the shopping beforehand, I just bring a guy over to pick up the loot, and then I sit for 23 hrs waiting to come back. It's silly and I can only assume it's to lessen the impact of dupes, which we all know came about from shard transfers in the first place. I just think, especially since Avatar bombards every shard with their advertisements of their 3rd party store, which clearly has the blessings of Broadsword staff, that they would be a little more lenient with the wait time to return to your shard. 8 hours, while still being way too long, would be easier to swallow.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    It should be at least 2 weeks, stop the mass xferring and maybe this game would get better.
  • It should be at least 2 weeks, stop the mass xferring and maybe this game would get better.
    The golden rule is don't screw with EA's cash flow.

• SsI played a game where you had to wait 30 days minimum to transfer. They have since reduced that amount of time but I agree with Higgs here.. Longer will help stop the xfer madness. Tho nothing will stop people just doing an xfer to a shard drop stuff off on a trash alt xfer that alt with stuff etc.. UO is actually miles ahead in so many areas compared to other mmos in my opinion. Housing top notch ( no other mmos that are still official come close imho and I have active accounts on ffxiv with house and fc house. No comparison.

Redacting the way things are without announcing as like a splash message for maybe 2 months upon login would be a huge disaster I think. Not everyone checks the forums. I enjoy UO tho in all its buggy wildness and 16 bit glory.
    Just realized, and maybe I'm stupid for not assuming it before, but the 24 hr delay continues on even after the return trip is finished. For some reason I thought that a different character on the same account could transfer the following day, nope, gotta wait out the 24 hrs.

• usernameusername Posts: 690
    The 24h transfer timer is an artificially imposed timer. You used to be able to rapid fire transfers off in quick succession and that's how it was for many many years. It was changed shortly after shard shields were introduced if I remember correctly. Sucks.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    No, if you actually do some searching, it was changed to fix a dupe bug - so instead of blaming the devs for your delay, blame the cheating players who created the need for it.
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited July 2019

Yes, but the dupe bug was due to player caused shard crashes.  Prevent the server crashing prevent the dupes.  So it is ultimately on the devs and buggy server code.  

The 24 hour wait is just a bandage for the buggy code.
    The speed at which you can copy to TC should be the norm for every shard, in my opinion, and there should be no delay or limit/day. It should be a reliable, un-exploitable system.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited July 2019
    The speed at which you can copy to TC should be the norm for every shard, in my opinion, and there should be no delay or limit/day. It should be a reliable, un-exploitable system.
    Copy to TC has the same delay between copies. They should remove that.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Pawain said:
    Copy to TC has the same delay between copies. They should remove that.
    And it prevents you from doing a xfer for 24 hrs too
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    No, if you actually do some searching, it was changed to fix a dupe bug - so instead of blaming the devs for your delay, blame the cheating players who created the need for it.
    So instead of fixing a dupe bug they instead, and I'll say it again, artificially impose a timer on the players. Not really blaming anyone just saying it like it is.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • Waiting, grinding, doing the same thing over and over till we finally get the good drop. It's our way.

• I keep a non playable dude on Atl, he does the shopping beforehand, I just bring a guy over to pick up the loot, and then I sit for 23 hrs waiting to come back. It's silly and I can only assume it's to lessen the impact of dupes, which we all know came about from shard transfers in the first place. I just think, especially since Avatar bombards every shard with their advertisements of their 3rd party store, which clearly has the blessings of Broadsword staff, that they would be a little more lenient with the wait time to return to your shard. 8 hours, while still being way too long, would be easier to swallow.
    There was duping before shard transfers. Why do you think you sometimes get "Your spirit lacks cohesion" message when using moongates? There's other fixes in there as well.

This

Yes, but the dupe bug was due to player caused shard crashes.  Prevent the server crashing prevent the dupes.  So it is ultimately on the devs and buggy server code.  

The 24 hour wait is just a bandage for the buggy code.
    Agreed, it's a bandage. But the time it would take them to truly fix it, if even possible, would take away from time doing other things. Then we'll just have posts about people complaining about no new/updated content.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    I don't mind the timer, Honestly I didn't have a problem with the 7-day timer it had when originally implemented, but people whined about it until it was reduced to 24 hours.

What I don't like, is that the transfer timer is triggered when you character copy.

Character Copy & Character transfers should be set up on completely unrelated timers so they don't interfere with one another.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    AMEN @CovenantX