Satyr Trick

Has the Satyr Trick been "fixed"?

Comments

• Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 270
    edited April 2019
    Yes and no.

Players no longer get skill gains relative to their reduced faux skill. Gains are now based off your real skill.

But, taking mana in consideration you can cast MUCH lower spells for gains so it does definitely reduce training times over all. If u farm up a paragon your dropping ~36 points in skill so while it is slower than before they “fixed” it - your over all training times are faster.

Less mana used = more casting = better gains

• DanDan Posts: 59
    Thanks
    edited April 2019
    Np boss :)
  • Acid_Rain said:
    Yes and no.

Players no longer get skill gains relative to their reduced faux skill. Gains are now based off your real skill.

But, taking mana in consideration you can cast MUCH lower spells for gains so it does definitely reduce training times over all. If u farm up a paragon your dropping ~36 points in skill so while it is slower than before they “fixed” it - your over all training times are faster.

Nope. Went from 80 Chiv to 120 in about 4 hours of spamming EoO while a Lvl 15 Phantom had me discoed. Only 2 SoAs used. Normally, Chiv gains stop entirely except for GGS at 115.0, due to all Chiv spells having 100% chance to succeed at 115.0 skill.
    Think phantoms r alil different then satyrs, which is what he asked abt.

They take much more time to work up to lvl 15 opposed to grabbing a satyr. They do work very well b/c they never got the “fix” satyrs did.

I’m pretty sure the info I posted on satyrs is accurate though. Thanks for including the phantom trick, I’m sure not many folks knew abt that one. Let’s hope it doesn’t get the stealth nerf satyrs got ;)
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,936
    Acid_Rain said:
    Yes and no.

Nope. Went from 80 Chiv to 120 in about 4 hours of spamming EoO while a Lvl 15 Phantom had me discoed. Only 2 SoAs used. Normally, Chiv gains stop entirely except for GGS at 115.0, due to all Chiv spells having 100% chance to succeed at 115.0 skill.
    Are you talking of the Phanotm that is found in the Despise Dungeon by the side of Andros the Dread Lord ?

If so, what do you mean by "level 15" ?
    Acid_Rain said:
    Think phantoms r alil different then satyrs, which is what he asked abt.

They take much more time to work up to lvl 15 opposed to grabbing a satyr. They do work very well b/c they never got the “fix” satyrs did.

I’m pretty sure the info I posted on satyrs is accurate though. Thanks for including the phantom trick, I’m sure not many folks knew abt that one. Let’s hope it doesn’t get the stealth nerf satyrs got ;)
    "They take much more time to work up to lvl 15 opposed to grabbing a satyr. "

What do you mean by "work up to lvl 15"  ?

I am not sure I understand what that means.... care to please explain it ? Thanks !
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    popps said:

I am not sure I understand what that means.... care to please explain it ? Thanks !
    The basic premise of Despise is taking control of a creature there and training up its "level" to make it stronger, and so you can be conscripted to fight the boss.

If you take a positive karma creature and train on negative karma creatures, you can reach a maximum level of 10. And vice versa.

However, if you take control of a creature and train it on creatures of the same karma type, you can "turn" the creature's karma. A creature whose karma has been turned can reach a maximum level of 15.
    Faeryl said:
    popps said:

The basic premise of Despise is taking control of a creature there and training up its "level" to make it stronger, and so you can be conscripted to fight the boss.

If you take a positive karma creature and train on negative karma creatures, you can reach a maximum level of 10. And vice versa.

However, if you take control of a creature and train it on creatures of the same karma type, you can "turn" the creature's karma. A creature whose karma has been turned can reach a maximum level of 15.
    Thanks.

What do you mean by "take control" ? I assume is not through Taming (i.e. not taming a Phantom...).

Are we talking here, perhaps, of the Spellweaving spell Dryad Allure http://www.uoguide.com/Dryad_Allure ?

In such a case, though, to my knowledge it only works on humanoid creatures, not on any creature...

If not, "how" would then one "take control" of creatures in Despise ?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    UO.COM has this great thing called a Wiki and sometimes you really need to learn to read a little and do some of your own foot work at times.
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/
    https://uo.com/?s=Despise&post_types=incsub_wiki
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/world/dungeons/dungeon-despise-trammel/
    or you could try other sites to find stuff

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Despise, Trammel uses a unique game mechanic. You can read about it here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/world/dungeons/dungeon-despise-trammel/

• MandrakeMandrake Posts: 61
    Satyr works well still.... It disco you down, - and you gain skills from the displayed skill level difficulty. 

- The trick is to take control of them in despise trammel, train them to lvl 10, and it will disco your skill 42%. I done this a lot to train magery in example, holding a -29 mage wand and I get to gm casting bless on myself in very short time.(have to get out of disco and get disco again after gained a lot, to lower it again)

This works with all skills you can imagine to train that way. Lockpicking and carto among them.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Being discorded to a lower skill (or using jewels to increase skill) does not impact the chance to gain per attempt... it is always based off real skill.  It does impact what you may attempt to perform for your gains.  This can make things more efficient for mechanics like mana or materials used, casting speed, etc.

A level 10, or 15, creature from Despise is easier to control and can lower skill more than a satyr from the twisted weld.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Merus said:
    Being discorded to a lower skill (or using jewels to increase skill) does not impact the chance to gain per attempt... it is always based off real skill.  It does impact what you may attempt to perform for your gains.  This can make things more efficient for mechanics like mana or materials used, casting speed, etc.

A level 10, or 15, creature from Despise is easier to control and can lower skill more than a satyr from the twisted weld.

Sorry but you are wrong or -mage weps would be totally useless and the Satyr would not work.
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 209
    Sorry Bilbo but Merus is right, Satyr and mage weapon enables you to get gains at lower lvls but they comes at the same rate as at real skill lvl. For example gm mage getting discoed to 70 and then mage weap to 40 then I could cast fireballs to get gains but I only get them as often as casting earhquakes without disco and mage weap. Diffrence is that I can cast fireball until I loose interest but if I casted earthquakes I could cast 10 or so before I had to med.
  • MandrakeMandrake Posts: 61
    The gains goes slower the higher your real skill goes - but it is based on difficulty of what you are trying to do.
    - so, satyr trick does work for to lower skill and cast / do lower requirements for to get a gain - like casting, to save mana or carto, to make maps.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    edited April 2019
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:

Sorry but you are wrong or -mage weps would be totally useless and the Satyr would not work.
    What I said was exactly right.  Altering your skill through jewels, mage weapon, discord, etc affects the action you attempt to get your gains, not the chance to gain per attempt.

For example:  a mage with 30 real magery and no skill altering effects casting fireball will gain 10 points of skill with far fewer attempts than a mage with 100 real magery who has lowered the skill to 30 through discord and a mage weapon will need casting fireball.  Even though both have the same effective skill and are casting the same spell, the chance to gain per attempt is much lower at 100 real skill than it is at 30 real skill.