Did I just WASTE 500 Sovereigns all for nothing ??

poppspopps Posts: 3,955
edited April 2019 in General Discussions
First of all, I have my Stables full of pets and my stable slots, when I placed those pets in the Stables, were calculated off of my character's Taming Skills.

I have a total of 15 pets in this character's stables.

I soulstoned all this character's Taming Skills because I needed to use other skills with him.

I got a Blue Beetle and wanted to put it into the Stables.

The Stable Master told me they were full. OK.

I went to the UO Store and purchased, at the cost of 500 Sovereign, a stable slots increase token which I immediately used "thinking" to gain 3 extra slots with it OVER the 15 I already had occupied in my character's stables.

Well, NOT AT ALL.

The NPC Stable Master KEEPS repeating me that my stables are FULL and I cannot put the Blue Beetle in the Stables....

I wasted 500 sovereigns ALL FOR NOTHING ?

@Mesanna , @Kyronix ? How about making this clear BEFORE one uses the stable slots increase token ?

Now what ?

By the way, I did try to page a Game Master but so far, got no replay nor any message....

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    edited April 2019
    Stable slots increase with taming skills.  Even with the stable slot increase you still have more pets stabled than a character without taming skill can stable.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/pets-ownership/

Stable Slot Entitlement
    Skill levelBasic AllocationStygian AbyssTime of Legends
    Non tamer246
    160 – 199.9 total skill357
    200 – 239 total skill468
    240+579
    • add one slot for each skill at 100 skill (ie 100 tame /100 lore /100 vet = 8, 10, 12 slots)
    • add one slot for each skill at 110 skill (ie 110 tame /110 lore /110 vet = 11, 13, 15 slots)
    • add one slot for each skill at 120 skill (ie 120 tame /120 lore /120 vet = 14, 16, 18 slots)
    • The Animal Taming Mastery, ‘Boarding’, also adds stable slots for master tamers and above while the mastery is active up to a final total at 120 taming of 21.
    • A stable slot increase token is available from Ultima Store at a cost of 500 sovereigns, this increases stable capacity by 3 slots. Up to 7 such tokens may be applied to any one character, taking the maximum possible total from all sources to 42.

The command ‘stablecount’ will tell you the number of pets you have stored and your total storage allowed. Example: ‘2/6 stable stalls used’

Stable slots are based on current Taming/Lore,Vet, not on what the char use to have.  Put your Taming/Lore/Vet back on that char and you should have you 15 old slots and the 3 you just bought.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,955
    Merus said:
    Stable slots increase with taming skills.  Even with the stable slot increase you still have more pets stabled than a character without taming skill can stable.
    I guess I NOW realized it.... I would have liked THOUGH, to receive a WARNING MESSAGE about it when clicking the token and BEFORE it got used....

You know, WARNING MESSAGES to avoid wasting money all for nothing ???

@Mesanna ?
    Bilbo said:
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/pets-ownership/

Stable Slot Entitlement
    Skill levelBasic AllocationStygian AbyssTime of Legends
    Non tamer246
    160 – 199.9 total skill357
    200 – 239 total skill468
    240+579
    • add one slot for each skill at 100 skill (ie 100 tame /100 lore /100 vet = 8, 10, 12 slots)
    • add one slot for each skill at 110 skill (ie 110 tame /110 lore /110 vet = 11, 13, 15 slots)
    • add one slot for each skill at 120 skill (ie 120 tame /120 lore /120 vet = 14, 16, 18 slots)
    • The Animal Taming Mastery, ‘Boarding’, also adds stable slots for master tamers and above while the mastery is active up to a final total at 120 taming of 21.
    • A stable slot increase token is available from Ultima Store at a cost of 500 sovereigns, this increases stable capacity by 3 slots. Up to 7 such tokens may be applied to any one character, taking the maximum possible total from all sources to 42.

The command ‘stablecount’ will tell you the number of pets you have stored and your total storage allowed. Example: ‘2/6 stable stalls used’

Stable slots are based on current Taming/Lore,Vet, not on what the char use to have.  Put your Taming/Lore/Vet back on that char and you should have you 15 old slots and the 3 you just bought.

" Put your Taming/Lore/Vet back on that char and you should have you 15 old slots and the 3 you just bought."

So, if I put BACK the Taming Skills I will THEN have a total of the 15 slots I had PLUS the now 3 extra that I purchased ?

That is, a TOTAL of 18 slots IF I put back my taming skills ?

That is, in the end, I did not waste 500 Sovereings all for nothing ?
    So UO is suppose to remember what skills a char use to have and retain the benefits form those past skills.  
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    You bought 3 stable slots, they will stack with the normally allowed stable capacity for the taming skills of the character.  If you use the command 'stablecount' that should show your current stable's status.
    popps said:
    Merus said:
    I guess I NOW realized it.... I would have liked THOUGH, to receive a WARNING MESSAGE about it when clicking the token and BEFORE it got used....

@ Mesanna ?
    You didn’t waste the money, your non-tamer and tamer slot count did increase by 3.  You just have more pets stabled than a non-tamer with a 3 slot increase can hold.
    Mariah said:
    You bought 3 stable slots, they will stack with the normally allowed stable capacity for the taming skills of the character.  If you use the command 'stablecount' that should show your current stable's status.
    Well I just used the "stablecount" command and the answer I get is :

15/9 stable stalls used.

Which I understand means, I got 15 pets in Stables while, since I currently have no taming skills on the character, I could have 9.

Now, WHERE does it ways that the 500 Sovereigns spent added me 3 extra slots which I will get OVER the 15 once I put back on character the Taming skills ?
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Mesanna ?
    You didn’t waste the money, your non-tamer and tamer slot count did increase by 3.  You just have more pets stabled than a non-tamer with a 3 slot increase can hold.
    edited April 2019
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merus said:

@ Mesanna ?
    So, when I will put BACK the taming skills to that character the TOTAL number of slots available will be 15+3  equal to a total of 18 ??

Is that so ?
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 230
    popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Well I just used the "stablecount" command and the answer I get is :

15/9 stable stalls used.

Which I understand means, I got 15 pets in Stables while, since I currently have no taming skills on the character, I could have 9.

Now, WHERE does it ways that the 500 Sovereigns spent added me 3 extra slots which I will get OVER the 15 once I put back on character the Taming skills ?

I think you are thinking about it the wrong way. Think of your Stablecount the same way as you will +stat gear.

• Everyone has 4 Stable Slots (2 Base, + 2 from Stygian Abyss).
    • I will assume you have Time of Legends for another +2 Slots, so now your base is 6 slots.
    • The Stable Slot tokens from the UO store add to your "base" stable count by 3 for each token.
    • You used 1 token, so your base stable count is now 9.

You will now get a bonus to your stable slot count based on your Taming/Lore/Vet skills. I don't know what your skills are, but we will assume they were 3x 120 modified (so giving you 9 extra stable slots).

Once you soulstone your taming/lore/vet skills back on, you will get +9 stable slots added to your stablecount, so you will now have 18 stable slots (and it's at this point you will see the effect of your store item purchase).

Once you stone taming/lore/vet back off your character, you will lose the bonus stable slots from those skills (similar to unequipping +stat armor), but your base stablecount will remain,so you will be back to 9 stableslots.

https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    popps said:
    So, when I will put BACK the taming skills to that character the TOTAL number of slots available will be 15+3  equal to a total of 18 ??

Is that so ?

15/9
    you have 15 out of 9 slots used.

15 is how many pets you have in the stable.
    9 is how many pets that character can currently have in the stable.

Use that chart above to determine how many more slots you get based on your skills. We can only guess. :(
    edited April 2019
    At current time you have no taming skill - non tamer maximum stable slots with no purchase is 6
    you have 9, which is basic + 3 purchased
    Additional slots come from taming skills. So, at 120 tame, 120 lore, 120 vet you would have 18 from skill + 3 purchased = 21. 

Add in taming mastery vol 3 you could have 18 from skill + 3 from mastery + 3 purchased = 24
    @popps but your TAMING skills back on your char and then come back here and apologize.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    @popps Keep buying them till you get to 40.  Then calculate what you need to do.

There are plenty of pets to put in there.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Mariah said:
    At current time you have no taming skill - non tamer maximum stable slots with no purchase is 6
    you have 9, which is basic + 3 purchased
    Additional slots come from taming skills. So, at 120 tame, 120 lore, 120 vet you would have 18 from skill + 3 purchased = 21. 

Add in taming mastery vol 3 you could have 18 from skill + 3 from mastery + 3 purchased = 24
    As in regards to the Stable slots provided by the Taming Mastery, what happens if one fills the Stable when under a Taming Mastery but then switches Mastery to some other skill ?

The number of slot drops (because having switched to some other Mastery) which it means not being able to take a pet out of the stables because it could then not be put back in unless one switched to Taming Mastery back again ?

If so, ain't it a tad ackward as a mechanics ?

Say that I had a pet in the stables that did not require any particular taming to control (for example a Blue or Fire Beetle....), since I soulstoned my Taming skills, I now cannot take it off the stables because if I did, I could not put it back in them unless I picked up the Taming Skills back from the soulstones...

Same with the Masteries.... if one has reached sull slots capacity, they would have to switch back and forth with the Taming Mastery each time they want to take or put back a pet from the Stables ?

It is called knowing how to play UO and Dear @popps I think you have been playing long enough to already know the answer or did you give your account to someone else.  Do you believe that if you stone off 120 Blacksmith you should still be able to make things a Legendary Smith could make.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Please be mindful of the Terms of Service we all agreed to. Rule 1.
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    popps said:
    As in regards to the Stable slots provided by the Taming Mastery, what happens if one fills the Stable when under a Taming Mastery but then switches Mastery to some other skill ?

The number of slot drops (because having switched to some other Mastery) which it means not being able to take a pet out of the stables because it could then not be put back in unless one switched to Taming Mastery back again ?

If so, ain't it a tad ackward as a mechanics ?

Say that I had a pet in the stables that did not require any particular taming to control (for example a Blue or Fire Beetle....), since I soulstoned my Taming skills, I now cannot take it off the stables because if I did, I could not put it back in them unless I picked up the Taming Skills back from the soulstones...

Same with the Masteries.... if one has reached sull slots capacity, they would have to switch back and forth with the Taming Mastery each time they want to take or put back a pet from the Stables ?

Yes. I had to do it recently as my lore was not 120, so I had to use a piece of jewelry to put my pets in and out till I healed my pet enough to get to 120 cause I just had to have one more pet than I could have. So there are many variables to this.

See Popps, it is a very intricate skill, more so than just all kill. There have been many little things given to tamers to let them have more slots. You and I, we, must work within those confines.

The few things I can say is, the pets are now numbered in the stable.
    You now know your stable count.
    Do you switch masteries? If so, don't count on the extra spot for it.
    Work with in the boundaries set for taming.

Those extra slots could be since you like to provide examples, here is one for you.

You are out and about and want to tame a new creature.
    You have the extra slots available and find a nice colored whatever and stable it and go back out and get another, then another. Then you can pick and choose at your leisure which one you want to keep and toss the rest to get back to your non mastery amount.

You learned a lot today about stable slots. It does seem overwhelming for sure.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    I think my original suggestion is the best solution.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    @ popps Keep buying them till you get to 40.  Then calculate what you need to do.

There are plenty of pets to put in there.
    @Pawain , I have done my share plenty... I have supported Ultima Online over the years quite well.... not just through the monthly subscriptions, but also through the purchasing of add-ons, store items etc. etc.  and some more etc.
    edited April 2019
    Bilbo said:
    It is called knowing how to play UO and Dear @ popps I think you have been playing long enough to already know the answer or did you give your account to someone else.  Do you believe that if you stone off 120 Blacksmith you should still be able to make things a Legendary Smith could make.
    Not at all.

But actively using a Skill while not having it and simply having pets in a stable, at least to my viewing do not quite look the same...

Using a skill brings tangible benefits from using it so, using a 120 Blacksmithy skill while not having it because having put it on a Soulstone is one thing, an entire other is having some pets in the Stables which sit there and cannot be used, since the character would not have the necessary Taming/Animal Lore to control them if taken out of the stables...

As it is now, with a "unified" stable for all of that character's pets, if that character has the stable maxed out because of taming skills or taming mastery and then soulstones the skills or switches to another mastery, the stable becomes totally not accessable by that character, overnight.

If, instead, the stables were kept as "separate", one stable for pets which indeed require taming/Animal lore skill as well as taming mastery to effectively control them, and ANOTHER stable for regular pets, (and the "taming" pets could not get to fill the "non taming" pets' stable), THEN even if a character was to switch Mastery or to Soulstone Taming skills, whatever the reasons, AT LEAST that character could keep using the "regular pets" stable and not become "stuck" all of a sudden with a total incapability of using pets because his/her taming pets had filled up the available slots.

Sure, it is more coding work to do but it would make players' gameplay more smooth and their life in UO easier thus, I need to imagine, advantage Ultima Online as a whole.

@Kyronix , do you perhaps want to think over this idea of separating the stables for a character for taming and non-taming pets?
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Sounds like a lot of extra work and a waste of time and resources in my opinion.  I think you can solve the problem by just planning ahead. There are things you can do to manage your stable, such as only keeping the best till something better comes along.  If you still dont want to get rid of a pet then you could also put it on a pet vendor in Magencia. Also if you are planning on stoning your Taming skills you can stable all your pets before you stone the skill, then after you can remove a pet that does not require any Taming or Lore to Comand or control. I have a Legendary Tamer and never had this problem. I keep a couple of the pets I like then put the rest for sale in Magencia Pet Sale Stable. Even If I would prefer to keep those pet I sometimes have to make hard choices but if they sell that is ok because I think I have kept the better ones. If you still don't want to sell then maybe price it in a way that if it sold you won't be dissappointed. <span>:smile:</span>

Arron said:
    Sounds like a lot of extra work and a waste of time and resources in my opinion.  I think you can solve the problem by just planning ahead. There are things you can do to manage your stable, such as only keeping the best till something better comes along.  If you still dont want to get rid of a pet then you could also put it on a pet vendor in Magencia. Also if you are planning on stoning your Taming skills you can stable all your pets before you stone the skill, then after you can remove a pet that does not require any Taming or Lore to Comand or control. I have a Legendary Tamer and never had this problem. I keep a couple of the pets I like then put the rest for sale in Magencia Pet Sale Stable. Even If I would prefer to keep those pet I sometimes have to make hard choices but if they sell that is ok because I think I have kept the better ones. If you still don't want to sell then maybe price it in a way that if it sold you won't be dissappointed. <span>:smile:</span>

Well, as a returning player, I am kind of in a particular situation, taming wise....

All of my stabled pets, are pre-patch.

And I have read pretty much anywhere, to be EXTREMELY carefull and only when I have mastered the new pets' training system, proceed to train them and see which I may want to keep and which to discard.

Because, i keep reading pretty much everywhere, it is very easy through training to ruin that specialty that some pre-patch pets might have.

That puts me, as a returning player with a Taming character, in a position where, before I will master the new taming mechanics, it is best that I do not even "touch" any of my pre-patch stabled pets.

So, unless I do not want to play taming for a good while, until I have learned all of the ins and outs of the new Taming mechanics, and which is what I am currently doing now (and that is why I Soulstoned my Taming skills and am using others to play the character...), I would need to have "extra" slots and train "new" pets so as to then be able to play pets' training free of worries about doing mistakes and ruining some special pre-patch pet.

Unfortunately, even playing taming with current tameables seems difficult as a returning player....

I hve no clue which pet is worth being tamed and trained up....

To give an example, I seem to understand that now Blue Bettles and Fire Bettles might be "top" combat tameables now ?

Who would have thought back then when they were only used either as "pack beetles" or by miners to smelt....

And that is only an example....

I have been told, as another example, that "lesser" hyrius are now better then hiryus one trained up....

Again, who would have thought back then ?

Not to mention, of course, all of the "new" Tameables including the Triton which we are about to get as a Rising Tide reward, I understand....

What I am trying to say, is that, considering that my stables slots are extremely limited, even if I took back the Taming skills from the Soulstones and somehow was able to afford a Taming 3 Primer, including those 3 extra slots which I invested 500 Sovereigns into I would only have a handfull of "new", additional slots to play with in addition to those already taken up by my pre-patch pets.

Too few, at least to my opinion, to be able to "play around" with the "new" Taming mechanics until I learn its ins and outs....

And, frankly, I do not feel like putting more Sovereigns into purchasing more Stable slots until I understand the new mechanics better which will take me time...

That is why, as of now, I just "parked" my Tamer and am using other skills....

Too much to learn about the "new" Taming, too easy to make mistakes in training pre-patch pets and thus ruin their potential uniqueness....

Better to just leave Taming on a side, at least for now, until I get the time to learn all of the Guides and advice from experienced Tamers about what to do and what to not do when training up a pet and, most importantly, which pets are good for what Bosses....

Then I will advise you to google Training Pets in Uo to learn from the sites available. I had a pre patch mare and used a site to learn how to train my pre Patch Night Mare. Also I am not sure if this is allowed or legal but, if you have someone you trust who is a tamer help you to transfer to another character who you can use your stoned skill to for stabling your pets for safe keeping till you are ready to use them or train tham after you have gained the knowledge you seek. I have never had to do this and like I said I am not sure if it is allowed or legal @Rorschach please advise me if this is allowed.
    edited April 2019
     Here is a taming web site that gave me step by step detail on training my Legacy Night Mare.@Rorschach am I allowed to post this web site on here? www.UO-cah.com
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    What web site? 
    You may post to any legitimate fan site.
    you may not post to 'free shard' forums, or to forums/threads which are in breach of our ToS.
    edited April 2019
    Okay. Thanks @ Mariah.
    @Rorschach I was talking about the website www.UO-cah.com. 
    I was so worried about doing something illegal that I forgot to type the site web address, lol.
    So then according to you @popps I should have the ability to max out my stable slots (42) on my char and then transfer all those skills, which by the way gave me those benefits, to another char and do the same and to my next char and do the same and so on and so on and you also understand that I should be able to control all those pets even though I no longer have those skills on that char because that was a benefit that I had because of those skills at the time but you don't think any other skill in all of UO should have those benefits just because they HAD those skills at one time.  So every char should be able to have 42 pets and have total access to those pets just because one of those chars out of 7 chars (max) trained those skills and then stoned them off so another char could use them.