Do Carronade and Culverin Cannons do different damage ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,960
edited March 2019 in General Discussions
I understand that :

- Carronade takes 1800 ingots + 75 boards/logs and 70 smith, 70 carpentry skill.

- Culverin takes 900 ingots + 50 boards/logs and 65 smith, 65 carpentry skill.

Do I need to therefore think, that taking up different resources and skill levels they do different damage and are not the same (it would not make any sense, at least to me, that they cost differently both in resources and in skills needed but do the same damage....) ?

If so, what is the difference in damage or other differences there may be between a Carronade and a Culverin ?

Or perhaps their "shooting range" is different ? Or they take different time to get primed ? Or there is any other difference between them justifying the different building cost ?

@Kyronix , could you kindly give us more details on this ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Not any more.  they were completely different before Rising Tides.  but now the only difference is aesthetics.  and the fact that Culverins take half the ingots to craft. I have been using one Culverin and one Carronade since test and have seen no difference.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,960
    Not any more.  they were completely different before Rising Tides.  but now the only difference is aesthetics.  and the fact that Culverins take half the ingots to craft. I have been using one Culverin and one Carronade since test and have seen no difference.
    If there is no difference between a Carronade and a Culverin, neither in the damage that they do, nor in their shooting range nor in anything else, WHY then they take different amount of resources and skills to make ?

To me, it makes no sense.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    Tons of things in uo work like that. A fancy cabinet holds the same amount of items as a small crate.. If people want to use different cannon, let them use different cannon. If you want to be efficient use Culverin, but i can guarantee you'll see some people with Carronade, just because..
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Actually I didnt know both cannons did the same damage. I would rather have the option to change the look of cannons via a cannon context menu, I would like more crude looking "orcish" cannons, or something that just looks like a pipe with a fuse on it. now that I know they're the same, i may switch to the Culverin, it's small looking right ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • popps said:
    Not any more.  they were completely different before Rising Tides.  but now the only difference is aesthetics.  and the fact that Culverins take half the ingots to craft. I have been using one Culverin and one Carronade since test and have seen no difference.
    If there is no difference between a Carronade and a Culverin, neither in the damage that they do, nor in their shooting range nor in anything else, WHY then they take different amount of resources and skills to make ?

To me, it makes no sense.
    it is because before Rising Tide, Culverins were light cannons and did half the damage of a carronade so they took half the ingots to make.  A Carronade was a heavy cannon and did twice the damage of a culverin so they took twice the ingots to make.   so when they made them do the same damage, they forgot to even out the resources to make.  this is all my assumption that is based on my testing and experience with all of the changes. I could be wrong so (sorry Mervyn)  @Kyronix, is there any difference in the two cannons other than the resources to make and aesthetics post Rising Tide?

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,123Dev
    It’s all aesthetic, the fancier the cannon the more costly the resources.
  • Kyronix said:
    Outstanding, thank you

Kyronix said:
    Well, a lot like way more the slimmer Culverin over the more massive Carronade....

So they get their fancier and better looking Culverin AND get it cheaper too ?
  • They? who's this they?  can you not make Culverins?  pretty sure it's in everyone's crafting menu.

edited March 2019
    They? who's this they?  can you not make Culverins?  pretty sure it's in everyone's crafting menu.
    What I was trying to say, is that aestethics is in the eyes of the beholder.... each one has their own and what one likes another doesn't...

Therefore, "regardless" on the aestethics of the Culverin and of the Carronade, if they have no difference whatsoever in their functionalities, their making should have been made the exact same, both in resources and in skills required.

Sure, players can craft the cheaper and easier to make Culverin in place of the Carronade but that would do, at least to my viewing, a disservice to those players who, instead, would want to use a Carronade who, for the same exact functionalities, would need to use more resources and more skills....

Players liking Culverins getting them cheap and more easily.
    Players liking Carronades getting them more expensively and with a tad more difficulty (high skill required).

Yet, BOTH get the same one thing in terms of functionality.

Personally, I do not see it as right.

At least, that is how I see it.
  • I see it as this, if you don't have the ingots to make the Carronade go mine until you do.  it's not like someone cornered the market on ingots and you can't easily get them. 

I see it as this, if you don't have the ingots to make the Carronade go mine until you do.  it's not like someone cornered the market on ingots and you can't easily get them. 
    That's a way to see it, more pragmatic.

The way I see it, instead, is of "equilibrium".... I do not see the need, nor the point to have 2 perfectly identically functioning items to have different making costs when it would only take, I assume, the changing of some digits in the code to rectify that....
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    The question has been asked and answered.
This discussion has been closed.