Can anyone explain why in Chat my Character name gets a number attacked to it ?

Can anyone please explain to me this oddity ?

My character name, say "charactername" when I talk in General Chat gets displayed, after the <number> in an odd way.

Rather then displaying it as "charactername", it displays it as "charactername3".

Why is that 3 added after my character name ? What for ?

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited March 2019
    Because UO does not have a unique char. name system so a unique # is assigned to every char and not sure why but if you transfer shards that # will also change.  Not sure about name change tokens.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 228
    It depends on how many characters with that name are logged in or have logged in to that shard since server up. If you are getting, as example, "popps3" when talking in General chat, it means you are the third person to login that day with that character name. (This can include alts of yours, if you use the same character name).
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    I have also found that sometimes if you stay up till server down, the system will somehow keep you logged in chat with that name and you become #2. For sometimes I know no one is going to have the same goober names as me.

We do on our shard have a few same named people.

It is good to note though that when dealing in transactions this number thing is a great safety feature.

Hey is Bob on! I've got that gold I owe him! Could result in 10 new Bobs being created. Know your Bob's number.