Is criticizing or questioning the dev team"bad"?

In the locked Anti-new player thread one of our glorious mods stated "This thread started out bad enough."

Is a civil, insightful post that is critical of the direction of the game now considered "bad" by the mod team on this forum?  Mods, do you think criticizing the game or the devs with constructive input is "bad" behavior on the forum? 

BTW This is not a thread to rehash the junk of that thread, but instead I would really like to know and answer to the questions above.

Comments

• XareXare Posts: 124
    Don't critique the caretakers, lest they shudder the hotel for good.
    In all seriousness, as the OP of that post, I was a bit bothered when we were told that it "started out bad enough."  I'm sorry, but we're all here because we're playing a game that we love and expressing a concern for it.  That's starting out bad? 

I won't disagree that some of the comments did indeed cross the line, but trying to have a discussion regarding how a new player, most of which NONE of us are even close to being, is bad?  Are we merely content to maintain the player base that exists without future growth, because that's the impression I got with "started out bad."
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Choosing words carefully can encourage talks or shut them down. 
  • I didn't read the thread in question. But if you're going to criticize or question something, bring a solution to the table. If you don't have a full solution try to say why whatever is bad and maybe a way or two it could improve.

Some things suck. We know it, the devs know it. But just saying that something sucks and they devs suck for not fixing it doesn't do anything. Be constructive.

*I'm not saying that you said they suck and that you aren't/weren't being constructive. I'm just talking to everyone in general.
  • IBTL
    I didn't read the thread in question. But if you're going to criticize or question something, bring a solution to the table. If you don't have a full solution try to say why whatever is bad and maybe a way or two it could improve.

Some things suck. We know it, the devs know it. But just saying that something sucks and they devs suck for not fixing it doesn't do anything. Be constructive.

*I'm not saying that you said they suck and that you aren't/weren't being constructive. I'm just talking to everyone in general.
    What better way of coming up with a solution than by talking about the problem and finding a solution we can all agree on?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    As a software developer myself constructive criticism is welcomed.  Destructive criticism is not welcome.  Keep the discussion civil. No personal attacks.  Use nice words.  If you do not like something, nicely suggest a way to improve it.  Remember it is better to use honey than flame. 
    TimSt said:
    As a software developer myself constructive criticism is welcomed.  Destructive criticism is not welcome.  Keep the discussion civil. No personal attacks.  Use nice words.  If you do not like something, nicely suggest a way to improve it.  Remember it is better to use honey than flame. 
    Yup, it is. 

I don't have a good answer, and I can't stomach the reasons I've been given.  Done spending the money.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Don't start off a thread with personal attacks, be respectful.
  • Canceled_SubCanceled_Sub Posts: 32
    edited February 2019
    The honest to god truth is, yes.  They don't care.  They are riding this thing until EA pulls the plug.  That's it.  If EA has a bad quarter (like they just did) and UO fails to break even, that's the end.

Also, the moderation here is similar to what you would find in China, or a 3rd world country.  Silence all critics.  It's identical.

However, this causes a Streisand effect, because people like myself go to stratics (more eyes to see), or even reddit or social media, and share our thoughts there.  Reddit is 90% focused on private servers at this point.  Almost no one is interested in the Broadsword hosted version of this game now.  Go check reddit.  You'll be shocked.  Posts within the last few hours are about private servers, NOT the official servers.  Note - Reddit has more users on it's UO forum than Official UO has subscribers.  That's where we are.

Edit:  I have a payed subscription until some time in this month.  I've paid to post my thoughts.  When you shutoff an account, it disables your account, so you cannot see the subscription time.  Also, a Prorate of my money is warranted if I am not allowed to post.  I bet this would have legal precedence too.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    To answer the topic question

It depends how you do it. Constructive, practical, suggestions are always welcome, negative criticism does nothing but harm.
    Personal attacks, like those I just removed from this thread, if they are simply replaced with more of the same, will inevitably lead to the closing of the discussion.
    The first rule listed on the terms of service states:
    Please treat ALL posters with respect and courtesy.

• Everyone knows game developers need thick skin. The ones that can hammer back with humor, like I've seen Kyronix do, are a class act. It goes with the turf. But BS hired a hit man (woman) for these forums so whatcha gonna do? lol
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Man, I used to love Wilki!  He'd let it run for a little bit, but he wasn't a bit afraid to get in your shorts when he had had enough LOL.  
  • Man, I used to love Wilki!  He'd let it run for a little bit, but he wasn't a bit afraid to get in your shorts when he had had enough LOL.  
    In a perfect world....
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    This show is over. Move on.
This discussion has been closed.