I have a Dream...... that the Developers added a SEARCH function to the Jewelry Box....

poppspopps Posts: 3,934
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
A Search function where one could search all jewelry pieces as well as Talismans for any property that they are capable to hold.....

And if the Developers felt also adding a SORTING functionality were one was able to organize all pieces inside the Box in a given order (this property first, then those having this other other property as second etc. etc.) well..... that would be amazing....

And, well, I would remain speechless if one could search and sort for "multiple" properties.....

Please, do not wake me up from my Dream.....

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 796
    Yep your dreaming.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea but that would make vendor search look simple. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Bit of a stretch to compare requesting a Jewelry box search to giving more civil rights to African Americans.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    edited February 2019
    Tim said:
    Yep your dreaming.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea but that would make vendor search look simple. 
    Well, it's a dream I have.....I cannot help it whenever I need to interact with the Jewelry Box to find a piece stored in it....

I would LOVE this addition to the Jewelry Box to come true....

Would it be such a technical challenge ?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,789

Like dreaming that the BoD books could be searchable by item name.  For example I need a studded sleeve BoD to fill in this large BoD.  Do I have one and can I retrieve without manually going over every page twice because I did not see it the first time I tried looking for it.

TimSt said:

Like dreaming that the BoD books could be searchable by item name.  For example I need a studded sleeve BoD to fill in this large BoD.  Do I have one and can I retrieve without manually going over every page twice because I did not see it the first time I tried looking for it.

It looks to me, then, that investing in a "search" functionality for all containers in UO would be very well worth it considering how the need for such search functionality is not limited to one type of container but widespread....

Once the searching code has been fine tuned, then it could be adjusted and ported to the various containers....

Perhaps it would be a good thing to do to enhance players' enjoyment of Ultima Online playing ?
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    I agree it would be a nice feature but in my opinion it would require a lot of time and resourses that could be used for other areas that have a greater need. I am not trying to be disrespectful or belittle the ideas of anyone but we have to look at both sides of the issues. We should not act like spoiled kids and want everything our way and want it do now. We have asked for many things of the Developers and they are doing their best in my opinion, but like everything in our life balance is needed. None of us have unlimited resourses or time that is why we are constantly seeking to find balance, it is the same with this game, too much to one side and it all comes crashing down. Just try to put yourself in someone elses place see things from their perspective and you will understand. Remember before the Jewelry Boxes we had jewelry all over our homes, but we asked and even though it took some time we got our Jewelry storage containers. It saves on lockdowns and can be organized by jewelry type (Rings, Bracelets,Necklaces,and Earrings) Better that what we had before.
  • Arron said:
     Better that what we had before.
    you must be playing classic client then. In EC you can open any container and search for whatever mod, item etc. - except for the jewellery box...it is coded differently and does not allow that :-/

I still use them to save lockdowns but I really wish they'd let us search them the way we can search other containers.
    I actually play both. They each have things I like about them.
    Arron said:
    you must be playing classic client then. In EC you can open any container and search for whatever mod, item etc. - except for the jewellery box...it is coded differently and does not allow that :-/

I still use them to save lockdowns but I really wish they'd let us search them the way we can search other containers.
    Like I said it would be nice,but we can't always get it our way all the time. Think about all the things each person wants in the game. There is a lot that many want to add or change but even though I know the Developers and programmers would like to cater to everyone it is just not possible for the fact that time and resourse constrains make it near impossible if not impossible.

Arron said:
    I agree it would be a nice feature but in my opinion it would require a lot of time and resourses that could be used for other areas that have a greater need. I am not trying to be disrespectful or belittle the ideas of anyone but we have to look at both sides of the issues. We should not act like spoiled kids and want everything our way and want it do now. We have asked for many things of the Developers and they are doing their best in my opinion, but like everything in our life balance is needed. None of us have unlimited resourses or time that is why we are constantly seeking to find balance, it is the same with this game, too much to one side and it all comes crashing down. Just try to put yourself in someone elses place see things from their perspective and you will understand. Remember before the Jewelry Boxes we had jewelry all over our homes, but we asked and even though it took some time we got our Jewelry storage containers. It saves on lockdowns and can be organized by jewelry type (Rings, Bracelets,Necklaces,and Earrings) Better that what we had before.
    Well, I did not imagine that implementing such a search feature would require such a significant amount of work and time....

Also, if players could benefit from such a search feature not only for Jewelry Boxes, but also for other types of containers like BOD books as someone mentioned, for example, perhaps the work spent to develop it could be beneficial "beyond" only Jewelry Boxes ?
    Arron said:

In EC you can open any container and search for whatever mod, item etc. "

Does that work only if the container is in the character's backpack or does it also work on containers not being held by the character ?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    We need a "Popps" category added , easier to follow all of his questions.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,044
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • popps said:
    Does that work only if the container is in the character's backpack or does it also work on containers not being held by the character ?
    works on any containers in UO, e.g. corpses, locked down containers, dungeon chests etc.
    the only container it doesn't work on is the jewellery box...

popps said:
    works on any containers in UO, e.g. corpses, locked down containers, dungeon chests etc.
    the only container it doesn't work on is the jewellery box...

It does not work for BoD books, recipe book, or the seed box
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited February 2019
    Bod books you can search via category, material, quality, and amount, same for recipe books, you can search for skill which assists, there are not more than about 20 recipes in any category, (smithing/fletching probably have the most), and you can search by only the ones you actually have per category, so not a huge issue.  The seed box is another fail, I keep my seeds in a chest so they can be searched, and just use the seedbox for identifying unnamed seeds, other than that use it is a doorstop like the jewelry box.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    I have 395 tinker Bods in one book. Trying to find one particular item by name, such as knife, is not that easy.  Sure I can easily find all 20 count iron items but there will still be a lot of items to search through to find that knife deed I need.